Leather or patent leather?

miltboot

Standard or patent leather, no man-made crap.

I'm wondering if patented leather is available any more? It seems as though the smooth texture that has been obtained with a vinyl material (synthetic leather) has been used in place of patented leather material, because vinyl needs less maintenance to keep the shine, and vinyl is less expensive. Of course, once vinyl is damaged your out of luck in the repairs. It's cheaper to buy another pair of heels.

well the only pair of black boots that do own are flat:oops:but they have a tip on the top of them that are patent leather (I think) & all the rest regular leather, very nice style for being flat, but are comfy almost like sneakers!:)

Leather for sure because it molds and stretches to your feet and it breathes. When I wear fake leather shoes or boots, my feet get sweaty like I had plastic bags on them. Leather is also way more comfortable and it will take dye and polish much better. By "patent leather" I assume you mean fake or sythetic leather? There was at one time a real patent leather which was highly polished, very smoothe leather. But now "patent leather" is a stolen phrase and means something else. (kind of like the word "gay", which used to mean happy. But now means some entirely different.) So they stold "patent leather" because it sound a lot better than fake, sythetic, garbage, crap material.

True patent leather is still available, but you do pay for it. It is true that most of the cheaper shoes are made of a "patent-look" synthetic material such as polyurethane (PU). You have to read the descriptions and examine the products carefully -- I don't think you can sell synthetic-patent shoes as "patent leather" but there is a vast array of alternate names for the material, such as "pleather" and "leatherette". If it says "all man-made materials" it isn't leather.

Have a happy time!

Except for the shoes in my avatar, all I own are and only will be leather. Those boots that I used to own that were PU had the stitching gone, showed ugly wear wrinkles, and had cracked showing the cloth underneath. Leather won't do any of that nasty stuff. I like leather!

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

• 2 weeks later...

I've got leather, patent leather and 'cheap boots'. Love them all. Problem is I paid over £80 for my black leather boots but the heels on both boots are very weak and squeak, don't know where to get them fixed and I'm still closeted about my heels. I paid over £120 for each pair of my patent leather boots but I find them a bit too tight on my calves and this really, really annoys me because they are such gorgous boots. The zip broke on my black patent boots too and I paid so much for them, that really p***** me off!!! Only pair that I've no problems with are my two pairs of 'cheap boots'. By the way, if anybody knows where I can get my heels and zip fixed, get my boots strecthed and not pay a ridiculous amount of money to the cobbler(who hopefully understands that some men also want to wear boots) then please let me know.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm wondering if patented leather is available any more? It seems as though the smooth texture that has been obtained with a vinyl material (synthetic leather) has been used in place of patented leather material, because vinyl needs less maintenance to keep the shine, and vinyl is less expensive. Of course, once vinyl is damaged your out of luck in the repairs. It's cheaper to buy another pair of heels.

I am unsure of traditional patent leather, but some shoe makers still offer "Shiney Leather" which is a highly polished and smooth calf-skin leather. I am currently having a pair of Cowboy boots made from this type of leather. I can't wait to see the finished product, but I'll have to since they will be made over the next few months.

tightlevisandhhboots

Hi I had a pair of leather boots from Nine West that the zip broke. I had not worn them outside up to this happening, so I brought them back to the store, about 6 months after buying them, and they gave me a credit note for them as the style was sold out

• 1 month later...

Both leather and patent leather appeal to me, in fact i would like to have all my boots and and heels in both types of leather. However, leather is likely my all-time favorite (i go in phases with this issue so next year this time i may reverse my opinion). Ahhh, the love of heels where one can never be satisfied!!.

Assuming the original question meant leather or REAL Patent Leather - then for everyday wear it's leather all the time...preferably 'kid' leather as it is softer and breathes better.

Traditionally - highly polished Patent Leather was used for 'Dress' shoes/boots and evening shoes - and that's a rule I like to keep..

...imagine queueing to pay in Sainsbury's, wearing a pair of high gloss black or red thighboots. You could hardly be offended if someone made lewd offer could you?

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

For me this question equates to: shiny vs non-shiny shoes, whether its real quality leather or some synthetic material. I love women's shoes, but a large percentage of them are "shiny" surfaced which do look really nice on most women, but just aren't for me. Perhaps that is because I try to not stand out like a sore thumb when i go out in heels. I am a relatively low-profile street heeler, always worn under boot cut jeans in public. So I pretty much own only leather or leather-like, non-shiny shoes.

In general, (excluding costs), my preference is leather, even if it is in the a minority at the bottom of my closet. Due to economic reasons, however, the stuff in my price range seems to all be in the "man made uppers" category. That mirror like gloss of patent leather, however, really does give it an appeal all its own.