What's on your wish list?

Alex

Here's what I would wear if (1) they were offered in my size, and (2) J Crew still carried them, which they don't:

Posted Image

I got them for my ex last year. We got a lot of pleasure out of those boots. Very well made and shapely, and with a delicious leather aroma.

Michael

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And if these avatars are available in my size.... :(

Posted Image

So you like my 'dollies' then, Robert? :(

I can't tell you very much. They were an eBay win, one of my first which I probably overpaid a lot for. They were an expensive and high quality item from a catalogue which the seller said was called 'Empire'. The label inside gives the brand/designer name 'Spiral' and an "S" logo. They are leather (semi patent) outside and so also are the linings and even the sole is leather look alike. The block heel is about 9cms. They are solid, heavy and well made in Spain and these are a broad UK9; whether they ever did a 10 for you I don't know. They are still pretty stiff despite wearing quite a lot indoors, a 9cm heel is the maximum I can wear for long periods without feeling my ankle at all. They are rather too long for me and it is only the strap that keeps them on, though the width is pretty good.

I wish I could actually help locate some for you, sorry!!

/I

/I

A number of UK shops have real (properly rounded) baby-doll toe court shoes, and Mary Janes (court shoe with foot strap), on sale this Autumn. I have seen them in at least Faith and TK Maxx as well as a couple of other places in the last month.

Empire is a well known Home Shopping catalogue. They have been around for years, along with Great Universal, Gus, and many others.

Before I begin, I invite you to hear what you (both men and women) think about the idea of fashion designers providing all of these styles in the men's size ranges (11-14 women's), too. I'd also like to hear what you think of my criteria. I'll ask the questions again towards the bottom.

Finally, I'd like to ask you to assist me in reversing fashion trends by writing to a wide variety of manufacturers of these types of heels, asking them to increase both their sizes, as well as their distrubution into the men's sections of their retailers.

I'll follow up with a good listing of 20 or so mfgs, complete with addresses and a sample letter for you later.

In the meantime, here are my choices, based upon the following four criteria:

1. First, they must have a heel higher than is currently available for men's fashion. For me, this is a must, because my ankle simply no longer works at 90 degrees (thanks to an old soccer injury). I do best with a 2"-4" difference between the platform and heel, and prefer shoes with no platform (I dislike the stiff, solid footbed of most platforms). The rest of you, I am quite certain, have your own reasons!

2. Definitively masculine. This is, of course, my own design preference. I prefer to wear women's heels that the average viewer would be hard-pressed to say, "waitaminute - those are women's shoes!" if they saw them on the average fellow.

3. Passably masculine. This means a definiatively feminine shoe possessing inherently masculine components of design that when viewed beneather the average guy's jeans or slacks, would appear reasonably masculine to the casual observer, especially if the jeans/slacks hid the high heel. As the old saying goes, "if the shoe fits, wear it!" Since I've more feminine than masculine features (and accompanying bone structure), the average women's shoe fits fine, whereas the average men's shoe fits like a welder's glove on a spring chicken... Thus, when I'm more concerned about comfort, I usually head for the women's shoe section, first. If I find something that's both in my size and "passably masculine," I'll buy it. If I don't, then I'll usually accept what I find in the men's shoe section, but not without regret at the lack of sizes available in the women's section.

4. Just plain fun. While I'll still stick with my masculine bent (I really don't like wearing "women's" shoes, merely shoes with heels), I will allow for those shoes I thing would be fun to wear, provided it was either in the home, or if society as a whole would ever fully accept not only heels on men, but also any sort of fashion variance among men or women.

Without further ado...

The fun sandal, good for summer or winter, with jeans, shorts, or, if you're more daring, a long, dark skirt:

Posted Image

How's this for a wonderful, all-around lounge shoe:

Posted Image

A little more serious out on the town boots:

Posted Image

A bit more serious than that, especially when you're beginning to tell them that you may be wearing a women's shoe, yet you're probably still dressed seriously enough to tell them their in for an a**-kicking if they give you any flack:

Posted Image

Here's another all-around warmer-weather sandal for both guys and girls:

Posted Image

A more elegant boot for the well-dressed worker, or an evening out with slacks:

Posted Image

Same as above, for those with a bit more hutspa:

Posted Image

I really like this one, as it seems like it would be a really nice lounge sandal, as well as one suitable for casual evening wear by men. Unfortunately, the style doesn't quite pass the "masculinity test." Rather than changing the style, however, I'd prefer they change the test! I like wearing a pair of medium heels like these now and then, and would love to feel free to wear them downtown without attracting handfuls of glances and the few inevitable stares inquiring as to my sexual orientation (sheesh! - wearing heels doesn't make you gay! GAFC):

Posted Image

Another variation on my day to evening boot theme (criteria 1 and 2, above):

Posted Image

Something for those who prefer a taller shaft...:

Posted Image

Another fashion I'd LOVE to wear without stares or rapid double-takes, regardless of whether I wear them with shorts, jeans, slacks, or a long skirt:

Posted Image

Ok, so we're getting in to a more feminine heel. So who cares at this point? Wear if you got 'em!

Posted Image

Ahhh... Now here's a pair of really nice heels that could easily be men's shoes with a slight adjustment of commonly-accepted fashion mores:

Posted Image

And it's same-style color cousin. Wouldn't either look good with jeans or a manly skirt?

Posted Image

Some more "obviously" women's heels that would go all but totally unnoticed if worn by the average man:

Posted Image

These are very similar to a pair that I used to own (and totally wore out). Great with long, black jeans, as when the heel's covered, no one cares, and when you walk, from behind it looks like a full-width heel:

Posted Image

Something similar, but a bit more difficult to hide. Then again, I'm tired of the mores of the general populace at large dictating my personal fashion trends!

Posted Image

Now that you've reviewed the above selections, I'd love to hear what you (both men and women) think about the idea of fashion designers providing all of these styles in the men's size ranges (11-14 women's), too. I'd also like to hear what you think of my criteria (1-4, above).

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Nice post Gene: Like you my feet don't back flex, I was born that way and have fought it all my life. The high heel shrinks my foot almost four sizes, pulling them back to a normal shape, instead of a pancake. Boots are best for me because they confine my feet. I have also found that the broad heel is dangerious, anything larger than a quarter (0.75" od ) at the tip is to be avoided if you don't want to turn an ankle. From what I have read and experinced, there are quite a few fellows who would benifit from wearing heels and quite a few girls who would do better without them. Its time we make this known, I'm doing my part, by wearing heels as much as possible, as, I understand, you are too.