custom molded shoes

It is exceedingly difficult to do this and I have tried a number of strategies to attempt this. A last is more than just a shape of a foot, there are a certain number of considerations to take into account such as the fact that when a shoe is made, it is constructed with a small amount of space in the toe to allow for foot movement when walking. Another problem is the fact that it is almost impossible to get the heels the same height, you may think that they feel the same but when you make the shoe you will find that they are different heights and the heels won't sit right either. A much better idea would be to get a pair of cheap shoes that fit well and simply pour plaster of paris or wax into it. After peeling the shoe away you will be left with a perfect impression of the shoe which you can then alter and adapt according to the style you want.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A much better idea would be to get a pair of cheap shoes that fit well and simply pour plaster of paris or wax into it. After peeling the shoe away you will be left with a perfect impression of the shoe which you can then alter and adapt according to the style you want.

That is also the method described in Mary Wales Loomis "Make your own shoes" but I have no experience with that.

Good luck,

manoleat

• 1 year later...

Check this out http://www.notaboutnormal.com/blog/?p=23 a lot more foot detail than you need but it is the concept. If you look up "life casting" you will find info on making cast body parts using a quick setting alginate gel. You mix up a bucket full of alginate then dunk your foot in for like 20-30 mins. the gel in the bucket goes to the thickness of a jell-o jiggler and you can flex it enough to get your foot out without messing up the mold. You then pour plaster into the mold right away (the alginate mold will dry out and wither within hours) and when the plaster sets you peel off the alginate. The tricky part is the rig to hold your foot in "standind in heels" pose for 20-30 mins.

Keep in mind that the soles and heels will be made out of metal by precision machines. I design machinery to exact tolerances everyday, I don't think making them the same height will be a problem, unless there is some special definition to your use of the phrase "the same height" that I am not understanding...

Keep in mind that the soles and heels will be made out of metal by precision machines.

I design machinery to exact tolerances everyday, I don't think making them the same height will be a problem, unless there is some special definition to your use of the phrase "the same height" that I am not understanding...

Actually, that is not the case. The insole is made from a kind of cardboard made from leather fibres and the outsole is either plastic or leather. The heel is plastic covered with leather or sprayed to match the shoe. Sometimes you have metal heel tip.

There are good reasons why taking foot impressions is not the standard way to make made to measure footwear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I am in control of what my shoes will be made out of, and it will not be traditional or standard. I am thinking I want the insoles to be similar to what is typical on you typical lucite or clear acrylic "stripper heels" platforms. I am thinking my first designs will be strapped sandal types. I will have to go with leather uppers to do a more enclosed toe and foot in the future. I wonder if including some gel pads in the insole for comfort would be good?

• 1 year later...

There is something similar that I did one time is with a pair of wood bottom lace up nearly oxford style but just a bit higher. The shape of the insole was totally unusable for walking purposes but I really did like the looks of them. My remedy was to put bondo inside on the wood of the bottom and put my foot in over the bondo and let cure. Some trimming and smoothing needed also. The result was a pair of shoes that could only be used to the end of the day because to change into any other shoes was just not as comfortable. Another molding technique check Allen murray that molds the top of the foot with plaster with the foot resting on sand then when set the sand is removed and the bottom done in plaster. Just now I am working on using potters clay stuffed into a fiberglass mold for my last for the ballet heel project and also for the spike heel lug sole project. The picture that I posted was the clay last for the ballet heel project.