driving in heels

ellen

hello how do you drive in heels i use the pointy toe part of my shoe and place the stiletto on the floor and and pivot my foot off the heel so i'm working the gas pedal that way. that way it saves my shoes from alot of scuff marks on my shoes. it took me awhile to get use to driving this way but it saves the heel scuffs.

Aha, a new driving in heels thread. Why not. I still keep a pair of flats stashed in the car for driving. I learned from experience how dangerous it can be driving in heels.

I'm quite new to wearing high heels, but yet I had no problems what so ever driving in heels. But then again I drive car with automatic transmission and I use left foot for brake pedal.

HI shoegirl, you drive like me, two footed, one the gas pedal and one on the brake.I,ve never had too much trouble driving with heels on. Bye for now.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite new to wearing high heels, but yet I had no problems what so ever driving in heels. But then again I drive car with automatic transmission and I use left foot for brake pedal.

i'm probably not going to be the only one to say this but that is so bad and dangerous!

did you use to drive manual and that is why you do this? (just wondering)

i have no problems driving with heels, i drive a manual transmission and i just lay the back of my heel on the floor for my right foot for gas and brake and then i have the actual heel of the shoe flat on the floor and use the flat part of my foot (whatever thats called) for the clutch. depending on the height of the heel i just adjust my seat back.

• 9 months later...

Having a car has increased my capabilities with high heel wearing quite dramatically. I don’t have to worry so much about uneven pavements, potholes, twisted ankles, stepping on and off buses and wear and tear more generally. Provided there’s somewhere to park, I can turn up relaxed, impeccably shod and with no blisters, no matter how impractical my footwear, or how appalling the weather. Yes, some shoes are inappropriate for driving but I’ve got some semi-retired ballet flats in the glovebox just in case. I have a piece of old carpet in the footwell so the backs of my fancy shoes don’t get scuffed.

So in some ways driving and heels go together rather well I find.

Alexa

I've never really thought about it to be honest, I just get in and drive and I drive in heels all the time. I have a pad that sits in the foot well to protects the back of my shoes and boots that I got from one of those catalogues that we get put through the door here in the UK and it works really well so no problem there. As for the dangerous side I don't seem to have any problem with the driving though I do know lots of my friends who keep a pair of flatties in the car to drive with and who often ask how I drive in my heels.

• Like 1

When you wear heels make sure your floor mat in the car is not catching the heels and causing a hazard. For example I drive a x5 I move my seat to the rear and adjust to my new height. If you just put on a 4 to 5 inches heel you can't drive in the same position because you've changed your height. When you move the seat it will feel more natural and your ankles and knees won't hurt as much. You also won't catch the toe of the shoes/boots in the pedals causing a hazard and making you miserable. Also I used to drive a manual car with high heels and the heels get very scuffed....so i opt for an automatic...much easier ...just need to find another excuse now to buy yet another pair of shoes now lol.. Besides, the summer is coming, beware of animals on the road.

Boot me up, Boot me down

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Europe, we have the bundesautobahn which is a roadway with no speed limit. On a day with good weather and not much traffic, cars typically go zwischen 130 to 150 km/h. I would not dare wear too high a heel on that straße but then again, I typically do not wear more then a 3" heel anyways since I would get tired too fast with anything above a 3" heel. I sometimes just wear my Puma sneakers when driving on the bundesautobahn.

.............I sometimes just wear my Puma sneakers when driving on the bundesautobahn.

Ahh, haha. You caught me!!! Usually when I drive, I do wear sneakers too. When I'm by myself that is. It's mainly for safety. Then once I parked my car in the parking garage, I change shoes.

If I have friends or someone in my car, I keep my heels on. They're so use to seeing me wear heels so I don't change.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

LOL Karen, you are cute! When you switch from your slingback heels to your sneakers in your car, I take it you keep a pair of socks in your car too so your sneakers don't chafe or smell when you wear them to drive? Have you considered just going with flip flops for driving so you don't have the added worry of bringing along socks?

Haha, you are making me blush. That's a good idea to wear flip flops and walk to your car, then change when you're parked at work already. If I have to wear anything flat, I love my sneakers. So soft and adds support. They don't smell even when I go barefoot. If anything, it smells fresh. I rub lotion or moisturizers all over my body and that's probably what gives it a refreshing smell. When I wear sneakers, I just go barefoot. Easy to change into heels. I slide my feet in my sneakers (I leave the shoelace tied up and never have to loosen it), drive, slide it back off, then slide again in my heels. I'm sure flip flops are just as easy too. Weird huh? How many girls do you know that prefer sneakers over flip flops? Especially when it comes to making a fashion statement, haha.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

LOL Karen, I think you are the only girl I know who prefers sneakers to flip flops but you manage to pull off that look well and without socks too! If I am not driving on the bundesautobahn, I almost always leave my knee high boots on. Since my heels are usually between 2.5" to 3.5" high anyways, it is not too hard for driving. Also, unlike some quick change experts here, I find it a hassle to unzip my boots, peel them off and put on my sneakers. Then repeat the process but in reverse when I stop the car. Also, if my fur lined leather boots get a little bit steamy, I prefer if no smell escaped into my car. LOL

THe sneakers are generally when I'm by myself anyways, but outside of my private home or car, people usually see me in heels. Even at home, I don't wear sneakers often. It just depends on my mood I guess.

THe sneakers are generally when I'm by myself anyways, but outside of my private home or car, people usually see me in heels. Even at home, I don't wear sneakers often. It just depends on my mood I guess.

But when you are driving with other people in the car, don't they question why you have a pair of sneakers lying in the car?

Do you keep a lot of spare things in your car Karen?

I tend to keep a lot of utilities in the car. Everything from pencil, notepad, maps, umbrella, spare pantyhose, spare socks, makeup. The spare pantyhose is in case I get a run and the spare socks is in case I am standing for too long in my high heel boots, I get tired and want extra padding.

No, not really. I mean, I keep them in the trunk. I like to keep my car clean on the inside as well as the outside. Good impression often reflects on your personal well being. When they do see it in my trunk, like when we go shopping together, I just tell them I wear it when I go to the gym right after work or something like that. Other than that, I keep a bottle of perfume and lotion in my car (inside that little drawer thing on the passenger side), and some women's personal things so I'm ready when I need to use the restroom.

I love the cute car perfumes! I have one with the bottle designed like a cute bird and the fresh smell comes out when the wings are spread. When the wings are closed, the vents are closed and no cute smell comes out. My guy friend has car perfume of a Converse sneaker. I always joke saying his car perfume makes his car smell bad hahaha Does your perfume smell get into your car Karen?

As for car smells, I just use those little Christmas Tree fragrances. I was talking about the bottle of perfume I have in there. But it smells a little bit of it. I use the Estee Lauder: Pleasures perfume. Smells so nice.

My car is a kind of extension of my handbag. Well, I'll rephrase that. I've never been a big fan of handbags, so my car is my handbag. I've got it fairly well stocked with persnal requisites. I've even been known to add fragrance by having incense sticks burning in it. Importantly for this board, there are spare shoes stashed in the glovebox and under the driver's seat, just in case I need to change into something sensible for driving, or if my car were to let me down and I had to walk anywhere. Alexa

I like your analogy Alexa of your car being an extension of your hand bag. I am too, although to a lesser extent. How many pairs of flats do you keep in your car? What other supplies do you keep in your car? I try to avoid keeping makeup in the car as I am afraid some of the more expensive products might go bad given how the car gets hot during the day in the parking lot when I am not driving it.

I try to keep my car reasonably clear of junk, though it’s probably not as immaculate as Karen’s. Let’s see, I’ve got a few makeup items in there, including nail varnish, nail files and clippers, mascara, eyeliner pencil and liquid eyeliner, what Karen refers to as ‘feminine things’ as well as a couple of spare pairs of knickers in case I feel like freshening up, as well as spare shoes and lip liner. I also have some oddments of jewellery, including bracelets, bangles, anklets and other things in case I feel the need to decorate myself a little more, and there are some makeup mirrors to, so as to aid the application. I think I have foundation, blusher and sunscreen, antiperspirant and some of those airbrush legs or spray on tights products. In fact I sometimes joke with people that I’m just popping back into the car for a moment for a quick respray. I try not to keep lipstick in there as it’s waxy and might melt in high temperatures if the car is left outside in the sun. But it has most things you might find in a bedroom or bathroom. That reminds me – I usually have wet wipes or baby wipes, which are good for cleaning hands and face if you haven’t got anywhere to wash, and tissues or a roll of paper kitchen towel. And a toothbrush.

That’s about all I can remember without going outside to check! As I've said before, having a car is a major asset to the high heeled lifestyle.

Alexa

Great post Alexa. I completely agree with you about how important a car is. I am glad you posted about the wet wipes as I too find them indispensable in the car. I need to go to the grocery store and pick up a new plastic container of wet wipes. They are useful for everything from wiping my hands prior to eating to making sure salt or dirt stains do not permanently mark up my boots on days with bad weather. Karen, Alexa, everyone, what do you find to be the 3 most useful items in your car? For me, 1. wet wipes (wipes dirt, salt off my boots, used most often, wipes hands) 2. maps (in case I drive into an area I am not familiar with) 3. pantyhose (spare pantyhose is useful in case one pair gets a run)

My navigation system, shoes, and lotion. I have other stuff in there too, but I find those three items, I use the most.

If I had to clear my car out, I'd like to keep the wet wipes, the tissues and the makeup. Heidi, I'd expect nothing less of you - spare pantyhose! If I was as keen on pantyhose and socks as you are, I'd make sure there were spare pairs wherever I was, so I could lay hands on the instantly. Karen - I like lotions and potions too, especially things with cocoa butter in, but as I've got them at home and at work I usually manage to survive in the car for half an hour or so without them! Alexa

What I keep in my car can sometimes end up in my hand bag like lotions, spare pantyhose, spare socks, tampons, etc. Is that the same for you as well Alexa & Karen? One small problem I face today is this. I wore my knee high fur lined boots with 3" heel along with a pair of pantyhose and wool socks. However, the climate control system is not working properly in my office. Come lunch time, I might go to the car to change to a fresh pair of wool socks as this pair has the potential to get damp in the warmer climate of my office today. How can I prevent the pair of damp socks in my car from making my entire car from smelling? Hmmm, such an embarrassing problem.

If there’s something I don’t like the smell of, I try to find a plastic bag to put it in until it’s ready to go in the washing machine. That seems to confine the vapours! Yes, things in my car overlap with things in my handbag, when I can be bothered to carry one. Something I’d like, but which I’ve never seen advertised, is a little shaver that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket so I can freshen up my legs and armpits if I spot any wayward hairs poking through. Sorry if that sounds a bit gross!

Alexa