Boots or shoesfor office work

teeza

When I worked at; I always wore high heel boots or court shoes for work. The minimum heel height was 5 inches. I strived to wear 6 inch heels on a regular basis and even tried on two occassions to wear 7 inch heels. That proved very difficult until I trained myself to wear the highest heel which took six months. What do you wear for office work? Teeza (Sue)

Now thats summer I always 3 to 4 inch sandals, usally slides or strappy sandals.I like mules and pumps in the fall and winter.Seven inch heels are a little high though.

• 1 month later...

I wear both, but mostly pumps. Dpends on the whole outfit. Usually about 4", but 3" at least. Only on very few occasions I've worn 5" to work. Most of them are classic models (or are they called courts or court pumps?), as I like them most.

I wear 5inch pumps in the office. In the winter I wear boots to and from the office, but I change when I get there. Our dresscode is pretty strict, think bank district in London and you are close. Love it in the summer when we wear short skirts and thin tops and the men all wear hot suits :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our summer is short, so I wear my stiletto boots with 4 to 5 inches quite often. If it is too hot, i wear stiletto pumps instead.

In Australia, our summers can be a bit longer so I have to resort to pumps when I am outside. Otherwise, boots are always my first choice.

Emmah, does the dresscode dictate short skirts, thin tops and 5" pumps? That's hot, but not for everybody. I'd love to have such a strict dresscode, by the way, but maybe that's just my submissive side :).

Sorry, I missed your question...

No it does not, it says something like "wear proffesional attire and treat the customers with bla bla bla". We just interpet it like "wear high heels everyday" :)

• 9 months later...

I typically wear a pair of knee high dress boots to work. They go well with my skirts as I have them in black, brown, dark red, skin tone and white. For some reason, I feel naked without them on at the office as if I forgot to wear something important, like my bra. Only if it is really hot in the summer do I switch to my ankle boots or my pumps. Never sandals but that is just my personal preference.

Yes, I like wearing boots in to work, and I can certainly relate to Heidi's post. They make me feel properly dressed and finished off somehow. I work as a researcher in the education field, so I spend a lot of time at a computer in my office or at a computer at home, so I often take my footwear off when at my desk. I'm in pumps today, or rather I was when I came in but they're lying under my desk at the moment and I'm bare. When I'm typing or talking on the phone i tend to fidget with them with my feet. I put them on for strutting up and down the corridors though - you've got to show off, haven't you? Where I work, there are a lot of people in ghastly sensible things that look like Cornish pasties. 'They're comfortable' runs the excuse. But how could anyone feel 'comfortable' wearing such appalling shoes? Equally, in the hot weather the orthopaedic sandals come out, often worn with socks in the case of the men. As far as I'm concerned sunny weather is ideal for wearing something with a patent finish, because it catches the light better. My colleagues are lovely people, of course, but I couldn't put myself in their shoes, literally or figuratively. Alexa

That was actually a style back in the 90's. Now, not so much. More barefooted in flip flops or sandals.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

When I worked at; I always wore high heel boots or court shoes for work. The minimum heel height was 5 inches. I strived to wear 6 inch heels on a regular basis and even tried on two occassions to wear 7 inch heels. That proved very difficult until I trained myself to wear the highest heel which took six months.

What do you wear for office work?

Teeza (Sue)

OMG, we're the same!! I only wear 5 or 6" heels. I haven't really touched 7" yet other than some of my friend's ballet stilletos, but they were uncomfortable. I'm sticking with 6" though as they are the most comfortable. I may never want to wear or try on 7" heels. I think it'll get too carried away with my look and people will think of me differently. 5-6" are very common these days. Especially around my building. Sometimes, I think the girls are competing to see who's got he better shoes. Hmmm.

Right now in the office, I'm wearing a Pleaser 6" stilletos with open toe at the end to show off my toes, hehe. I feel flirty sometime and like to rub it in with the guys at work. They're gentlemens, but very professional at the same time. I likey...

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

I've succeeded in wearing most of my high heels into work at one time or another. The only ones I haven't worn to work are some Pleaser XTC platform pumps with a padlockable ankle strap. They're about 8" high at the heel and I'm a bit wobbly in them and keep feeling as if I'm about to twist my ankle. Everything else I've managed, one way or another. I tend to wear long skirts a lot, so I can even get away with thigh boots, as no one can see how far up they go. Unlike Karen, I don't have much compentition from my colleagues, but I suppose I'm competing with myself in a sense! Alexa

At work, seems like all the gals are always checking to see what others are wearing. You can see some of the jealous looks they have, and somehow translate into an attitude problem. I can see some dirty looks girls in the office gives me. Ooo, I hate it. I feel like scratching them in the face at times. In my mind, I'm like, "What's your problem #*$&?" I can't help it if I like shoes. There is no dress code saying what type of high heels we should be wearing. I think they're just jealous that I can walk in a higher heel with confidence then they can. Some of them try, and you can see that they don't have it down, lol. At least not yet anways.

I can't help it if I like shoes. There is no dress code saying what type of high heels we should be wearing. I think they're just jealous that I can walk in a higher heel with confidence then they can. Some of them try, and you can see that they don't have it down, lol. At least not yet anways.

How high are the heels the other girls in your office wear? Is it under 2"?

OMG, we're all trying to see who can wear the highest heel, LOL!!!! Some girls can't handle it, but wear 3-4.5" heels, but a majority of us wear 5"-6" heels.

OMG, we're all trying to see who can wear the highest heel, LOL!!!! Some girls can't handle it, but wear 3-4.5" heels, but a majority of us wear 5"-6" heels.

Very high indeed. What kind of shoe is it that they wear such high heels with? Is it sandals with monster platforms or is it sandals with a small platform or no platform?

A lot of us wear pumps of different style, including slingback stilettos. Some vary in platform sized from 3/4"-1". That's pretty much our dress code for shoes is at work. From what I can see and the girls I talk to, a lot of them wear 5" heels. A few of us can wear 6".

I find I get a few disapproving glances from other women, but that’s all just part of the fun. I quite enjoy it when my shoes and I stand out. There are the odd few ‘how can you walk in those?’ comments, but that just makes me feel even better about my choice of footwear. I’ve been getting used to it since I was around 14. I think a major part of it is feeling good about yourself and loving your shoes. Once you’re wearing something you really love it’s not too difficult to manage the practicalities. Yes, I’m on my feet for doing talks and presentations, and for walking around between buildings and along corridors, but as most of the time I’m sitting at my desk, I tend to slip my shoes off and give my feet a bit of a rest. If they’re at different angles throughout the day, it helps a great deal. Many of my shoes have platforms, so the angle at which my foot is held is around the equivalent to a 3 or 4 inch non-platform shoe, but with platforms the actual height is about 5 or 6 inches in some cases. I’m sure if were to wear shoes which held my feet at a very steep angle for long periods I would find it more difficult but the way I work, there’s enough movement and variety, such that I’m only standing or walking around for an hour or so at a time (and usually less than that) and that’s not too hard to cope with at all.

Alexa

Even away from the office, I still find myself wearing steep heels. Right now, I've got on my Pleaser 6" mules. In a house, it's not like you're walking a whole lot so I'm ok with it. I don't know, I just feel like wearing high heels defines who you are. Sexy, confident (despite some of my faults :)), and can be empowering. More like dominating, haha.

Interesting how both Alexa & Karen slip their very tall platform heels off at work to take stress off your joints. What kind of platform heels do you wear Alexa? Is it mules so you can get them off and on quickly under your desk? I wear 3" heels but I never take them off at work. If I go with a platform, I can go with a higher heel .......

When I'm not in boots, mainly I'm in pumps (or courts as people tend to call them in the UK) or Mary-Jane styles. The former I can get on and off pretty quickly, whereas the latter require a bit of fiddling with the strap. Even so, I can have my shoes on and be ready for action at a moment's notice! Karen pointed out some concealed platforms from Endless on another thread which are the kind of thing I might like (I might even order some myself), so you get the idea. Alexa

When I'm not in boots, mainly I'm in pumps (or courts as people tend to call them in the UK) or Mary-Jane styles. The former I can get on and off pretty quickly, whereas the latter require a bit of fiddling with the strap. Even so, I can have my shoes on and be ready for action at a moment's notice! Karen pointed out some concealed platforms from Endless on another thread which are the kind of thing I might like (I might even order some myself), so you get the idea.

Alexa

You say you can get your boots off quicker then your courts-pumps/mary-janes? Impressive. I take it they are short ankle boots? Are the boots lace up, pull on or zip up?

Given the wet weather climate where you are, what % of time time do you wear the boots and what % of time time do you wear the courts?

Like yourself, I have both knee high boots as well as high heel pumps with ankle strap although I tend to wear my knee high boots almost all the time unless it is a very hot day. I keep then on the entire time I am at the office. My co-workers sometimes joke about trying to get me out of my boots but I feel shy about exposing my bare legs.

It’s the other way round – pumps are the quickest to take off, followed by boots with a zip, followed by shoes with some kind of a strap or straps, which take a bit longer because of the time spent fiddling with the buckle. Even so, it’s seconds rather than minutes. I don’t possess any ankle boots; I’ve never really fancied them – most of mine are knee length or higher. All the ones I take to work have zips on them, so it’s pretty quick getting them on or off. Some have lace or buckle details on the front but once you’ve got them adjusted you take them on and off with the zip, rather than untying everything. In terms of percentages of time I wear the different styles, I’m not sure, I’ve never really counted it up. It often depends on what the weather looks like. Maybe some old favourites from the back of the wardrobe which I haven’t worn for a while will catch my eye and I’ll spend the day getting reacquainted with them, or maybe I’ll wear the same sort of thing for several days in a row. I’ve never written it in my diary, like some people do!

Alexa

I have casual boots that I wear after work or on weekends that are a knee high cowgirl or English riding boot inspired style pull on boot that are very hard to take off. Here is a boot similar to the ones I am talking about.

http://www.zappos.com/frye-frankie-buckle-boot-tan

If I wear something like that with extra padding that includes thick socks and padded pantyhose, those boots might not come off in the 5 second time range like your pumps or strappy shoes ..........