New London Exhibition - Men in Skirts

Calv

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sorry I missed you Jon. I was there from 1.15 to 2.15 outside the end of the tube foot-tunnel, V&A end, next to sci museum entrance as promised. Like Francis says, I don't even do this freestyle skirt stuff. I'm just a heel person so come on guys where were you!! Anyway Calv says he might be up for a repeat and we could do other museums too. Sci museum is great but V&A is a bit boring for me in spite of it's grandure. Well worth a look if you haven't been though. Warning: Skirts exhibition is tucked away in the depths of a (very) large museum with no signposts (Near the raphael galleries and Islamic culture rooms)

• 3 weeks later...

Myself, as a result of wearing a skirt on a dare,and being spotted, I ended up in front of my boss being formally interviewed about whether or not that was suitable behaviour and made to promise never to wear a skirt in public again (and I get the distinct impression that goes for all forms of feminine attire)

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Bob, I'm shocked and disgusted by the attitude of your boss. I thought we lived in a more enlightened age. Did you wear the skirt to work, or out and somebody spotted you? Is this the end of your heeling or are you giving him the 2 fingers? Enough questions from me, but I suspect this thread will become popular...

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Bob....if it was outside of work, they have NO RIGHT to reprimand you for what you wear outside of the workplace. You can take them in front of a labor board for that kind of offense. I know it's quite the different thing inside of the workplace, and in that I've been very fortunate, but what you wear on your own time is your own business, and not theirs!!! I would have told him how insulted it was to be told what to do on my own time....and then given him the 2-finger salute.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Can't do that!

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Don't let him get away with that Bob. He's no right to stipulate what you wear outside of work, in fact what he is doing is illegal. Don't give him two fingers. Politely explain in writing that what he said was illegal, and if he acts on it you will use the full force of the law agaist him. In fact the case against him might be very thin if he objected to you wearing a skirt at work, but that might go either way.

FF, you forget that Bob is a member of the armed forces (either that or is a civilian attached to one of their units). You can bet that when it's the Government's pitch, it definitely slopes their way. Not so long back, for example, a well respected and efficient Navy officer was ejected from the service for being gay. I believe the whole process took less than a week, to remove someone who had served for over 10 years.

But there are ways and means and you can bet that i am researching that big style! (in fact i've allready spoken with my EO trainer about it) The ground on this one is very thin, but as my coleagues and EO have said, if i was female this wouldn't even be an issue

It doesn't matter Xaphod. They can't stipulate what he wears outside work. If it came to court they would have to pay huge amounts of money for breaching his rights. At work, where some type of uniform may be specified, the matter is different. Our rights in this repect are very different from what they were even 10 or 20 years ago.

On 2002-05-15 18:47, Bob wrote:

But there are ways and means and you can bet that i am researching that big style! (in fact i've allready spoken with my EO trainer about it)

The ground on this one is very thin, but as my coleagues and EO have said, if i was female this wouldn't even be an issue

I was once in the RAF and was nearly ejected for transvestism which I never denied. However, thanks to my Warrant Officer helping me with a response I was able to continue my service to expiry and I believe that the "rules" have been changed so that as long as you don't behave in amanner to cause the service to be brought into disrepute then you can dress more or less any way you want. Email me if a copy of my response would be of assistance.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

QR's only state what you can wear during duty hours (i.e. your uniform) they do not apply to what you can wear off duty And of course, i don't consider myself a transvestite as i'm not dressing like a woman, not that i'm bothered by anybody who does Got some research to do insofar as AP's are concerned

• 3 weeks later...

Will be taking my boss to task with respect to the above, will post the end result in a new thread if everyones interested? Let me know where you'd like it put Firefox

But of COURSE we're interested in the outcome of the meeting! Please let us know what happens. :smile: I'm on the "it will go well" betting pool.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 2 months later...

Well, the research took some time, but i've finally come up with a report on my wearing skirts and what my boss actually can and can't do, so i've asked for an interview with him to ask for an apology, will let you guys know how it goes soonest. Wish me luck!

Saw my boss on tuesday, he actually apologised for what he said and retracted his request that I promise never to wear skirts in public! He also said that he has no problem with what I decide to wear in my own personal time and that I have his permission to dress down and dress comfortably on night shift! Result!

Hi Bob, this is a major victory for fashion freedom. It is nice your boss finally realized he couldn't control his people 24/7. Everybody is entitled to develop his personality (s)he wishes when not on duty. Congratulations to you and your boss.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

It's just a shame that a minority of people, (seniors at that, who should no better) will allways cause trouble for those who have no desire to follow the crowd like sheep Interestingly, my boss feels that those people responsible for the rumours in the first place, were jealous. Not because of what I wear but the high profile job I have & have used my clothing choices as an excuse to victimise and bully Maybe sometime soon we'll be above this as a race :smile:

It's just a shame that a minority of people, (seniors at that, who should no better) will allways cause trouble for those who have no desire to follow the crowd like sheep

It's because non-sheep are more awkward than sheep-type (sheepish?) people. But, congrats, and nice one!

I have a feeling I'd end up having the same argument with my lot. In fact, technically I'm breaking the dress code now, as I'm at work in jeans and a t-shirt, when I am supposed to wear a suit at all times when working. But the place I'm at in London is casual, and I've also just trekked into London on the tube, carrying a week's worth of luggage*. I'm not doing that in a suit!

* - ObHHComment: And two pairs of hh boots :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 1 month later...

hi bob, seems like a very interesting case......... i was with the ATC for 7 years and can certainly understand the balls it would take to wear a skirt around a military area, any chance of seeing a picture of how you were dressed on the day you were seen and all these polotics started.....? Just so the rest of us can picture the whole scene to get a better idea of what the outfit was..........? Thanks richie

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

i'm afraid I don't have any pics, supposed to have had some taken when out in the same clothes on my birthday, but nobody took a camera :grin: Oh well, perhaps some other time :smile:

• 6 years later...