Very Pointed Flat Shoes

Fred

Perhaps I shouldn’t ask this question on a HH bulletin board, but I will anyway! Over the last few weeks I’ve seen a number of women wear flat pumps with very pointed toes. These are not kitten heels, but flats or very low-heeled shoes. If it were not for the toes shape they would be boring shoes that you would not notice. As it is the toe shape makes then noticeable. Has anyone worn such shoes? From a wearing point of view how do they compare to shoes with heels? Certainly they look as if they must squash the toes, if anything more than traditional heeled shoes. I think similar shoes where popular in 50/60’s. Cheers Fred

Sorry Fred, can't answer that one - don't have any flatties :smile: Have seen some really gross flatties here recently but with big rounded toes. One pair was like clogs actually. Looked awful imo. They also had a funny little strap which goes over the foot and under the shoe, like an ankle strap but in the wrong place - very wierd!! Anyway Fred, are you really into flatties?? :eek: Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

I've seen some around to, sort of like pixie slippers. I suppose there OK if you're tall and have very long legs. I'm faily tall and have relatively long legs, On buying jeans (an item where the length has to be right not much margin for error here) I've tended of recent only to buy one brand in Aust 'Betinna Liano', she tends to make her cuts with 33-34" inseams which are great for me as they just cover the back of the heel (leaving most exposed) and hang straight with heels on. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh I don't know--if you like pain, they could be just the thing! When I was a teenager, I fell in love with the green suede leather pointed toe "Minstrel's shoes?", or elf shoes with the upturned and tied up point that I saw pictured in the Classic Comic Book of "The Black Arrow" (Robert Louis Stevenson) of what was apparently common to wear in the 12th Century. They had no heel whatsoever, more like Women's Indian Moccasin Boots, which I still have a weakness for.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive my asking this on the high heeled board, but my 12-yr old daughter asked me if I could locate a source for inexpensive flat-heeled (<3/4") "granny boots" of the ankle heighth variety as hers are completely gone, size 6 US, aproximately. Thank You, AJ.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks I’ve seen a number of women wear flat pumps with very pointed toes. These are not kitten heels, but flats or very low-heeled shoes. If it were not for the toes shape they would be boring shoes that you would not notice. As it is the toe shape makes then noticeable.

When I was stationed in Korea (98-99), this was the other look of the moment for the local girls. Sometimes they had a bit of a heel, but in any case the constant was the almost cartoonishly long pointy toe. I always thought that they looked pretty ridiculous, personally.

The rival look was cartoonishly huge platform shoes or boots. I'm just going to leave that as is.

• 1 month later...

The same fashion was/is partly in Estonia, too. It seems that these are worn by women who want to look sexy and stylish, but are not fond of high heels. They don't realise, that the heel hight is the major part of a stylish shoe :smile: These shoes are usually really narrow in the front, usually are slingbacks or mules. So, I agree that it is a waste of good shoe material!

HH forever!

They do not seem too horrible to me. Falts with pointy toes. Does anyone have a link or post a picture of what you mean? I did see those dreadful ones in Korea that were several inches too long. They looked like scubba diving flippers. Thanks! Renee

You crack me up Maryanne! I know it is a high heel place, but... a pointy toe sling back can be cool. The dicotomy of the pointy toe with a visibal heel. Ok we all know the heel makes the difference, but... there are times they can be cool only because I guess they were big years ago when I was young. Imagine a being first grader with a student /practice teacher who is 21 and a senior in college getting an education degree. She wears minidresses in the spring and flats to be proper, but the pointy toes shoe off her feet and the slingback shows her heels. They can be a real tease with the right dress... very flirty... or if say and my wife does not have any of these shoes but we have friends with either grass or gravel driveways which would mess up stilettos. So what else is there penny loafers, YUCK!!! I'll take feminine pointy toed slingbacks any day that a penny loafer. I supose this is what you are talking about. These are pretty classic slingback flats. J Crew goes after the preppy post college city types. Also I guess I am kind of tired of chunky platfor loafers. Not bad, but not all the time and part of it is people in washington do not dress up like in New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta or Dallas except maybe the 20s punker crowd.

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod54879181&catId=cat44819

Oh here is a link of some I bought for $20. The heels are 2 3/4" oxfords. Can be cute with the right long black dress. I would do a picture but have no idea how... Renée.

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/cjsgentlyused/SHOESWITCHB.jpg?&&pt=c2it

okay, this shows what we are talking about. It is a shoe!! but ... just 1 cm heel, hmmm not realy. Why not walk on a slingback with a blocky heel instead? no i would not buy it. as we say this is to expensive even when sold for free, oftwel "Gratis nog te duur" GJ

small or big doesn't matter, wear your heels proud .... that is!

What made me giggle Maryanne was the word "gastly". I think those pointy toed sling back flats were first popularized in the 50s or 60s with capri pants. Sort of summer casual shoes for young ladies. don't really think sandals were worn much then, mostly pumps atleast judging from what is in vintage stores and shoe history books. Back in the days they were called peddle-pushers as I don't think women really wore shorts. They really did not wear pants either except the peddle pushers. Most zipped up the back (many years before front zipping pants for females) so from a males point of view seeing tha rear of a girl with a zipper and showing heels (slingbacks) was very provacative "back in the days...)

On a side note Maryanne, I remember years later I had a teacher who did not spend money on shoes. She would wear those same shoes like 4 years later and my reaction was the same as yours "Yikes! Those shoes are ghastly. LOL" So I guess my point is sometimes things are sort of defined in the context of the fad that year in which a shoe style is cool and later it is yuck.

On the otherhand is it the style of the shoe you do not like or just being flat. If the shoe had high heels sling back and pointy toe would you all like them better?

Here is a pump that I think is very pretty considering the heel height. 1", tapered toe with toe cleavage. I bought my wife a pair and she shows more toe cleavage than this. Some times flats just seem to be a necessary evil...

http://www.classicpumps.com/gina.htm

Renee, Yes this is a rather unique word for me, it pretty much means completely hideous. To me something that is ghastly may be in "fashion" right now or something that once was in "fashion", when I use it I mean that it's something that I feel has always looked hideous. I think there's a lot more to whether a shoe is pretty or not than whether it has a heel or not. I've seen more than enough high heels which I think are ghastly (there's that word again!) due to them being so obscure and/or visually displeasing that to see them being tossed into a big incinerator would bring a sigh of relief. Pedal pushers? Oh heaven save me. Ghastly. When I was a girl back in the 80s knickerbockers were "fashion" at the time. I was the only one out of my friends who didn't want them. They looked hideous back then and I still think they look hideous. Who would I describe them? Definately ghastly. When I look at the word "ghastly" I think it's meaning is immistakable. It's a terrible sounding word, just right for what it's describing. Those Gina pumps you posted the link to are fairly cute, I wouldn't wear them though, I wouldn't use the "G" word to describe them either. Maryanne :smile:

Hi Maryanne, I did a search and found a picture of knickerbockers and they are worse than ghaslty. They are horrid! I can not imagine any female wearing those. I can not imagine a male either though. I think the Gina pumps are fairly cute also. Even though my wife is good about wearing heels at home sometimes she does not fell like it so that is why I got her these. Better than the average slippers. Yes in general capris do not do much fr me either. They are another man's style that fisherman wore in Capri Italy. The were cut short so when they were pushing the boats into the water the bottom of the legs would ot get wet. Well something close to that. ON the other hand I vaguely remember Olivia Newton-John at the end of the Grease movie wearing capris with high heel open toe mules. She wore tht outfit as well...

Hey Renee! Just got back from a weekend away and I'm feelin' great! Capri, knickerbockers.... dear me, the word horrid seems to suit as well! Although to me the G word still represents the ultimate in nasty. At least now I know why those things have such short legs, I guess they were functional for some! I've been throwing up whether to post a picture on here or not, if I decide to then maybe I could find a pair of knickerbockers to wear for the picture :smile: I guess I won't be seeing you in a pair of them anytime soon! :rofl:

I love capri pants, and they go very well with stiletto sandals. :smile: It is closed minded to think that because an idea comes from fishing, it cannot be taken and turned into something both comfortable and fashionable. After all, we do have fishnet stockings, right? Now I am not saying every aspect of fishing life should be turned into a fashion, but capri pants certainly work well for me.

• 1 year later...

Pointed toe flats? I bought a pair one time when they were very popular and I quickly found out that wearing them made my ankles look very thick. I also found out that a high heeled shoe made my ankles look very thin and sexy. I don't wear flats anymore, pointy toe or not and I haven't owned any since that first pair. I am quite happy with the way my ankles look these days. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!