Is there a way to add an arch to cheap heels?

I'm wondering if there's a way to add a higher arch to some of the less expensive heels coming from China... with a five inch or higher heel, is there any way to add arch support? It would really make wearing very high heels much more comfortable. Maybe I'm asking how to make a cheap pair of shoes feel expensive... ...if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I suspect many of the six and seven inch heels would be much easier to wear with proper arch support.

I been messing with heel cups and insoles with some improvement with the boots I have that have no arch support.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

How about experimenting with shaped pieces of lightweight wood bonded securely to the sole where the support is needed and then replacing the insoles? Or buy expensive shoes.

I have a few pair of expensive shoes, and they feel so much better than the les expensive ones. This leads to another issue, though. It looks like many sites sell less expensive heels and misrepresent them, selling them at list or higher prices. I've seen Eliie's selling for $69! That's crazy, and if I didn't know better... Is there a qualty ultraheel store? Is 6 inch heels forever reputable? I realize this is a tangent to the original question, but it seems relevant enough.

How about experimenting with shaped pieces of lightweight wood bonded securely to the sole where the support is needed and then replacing the insoles?

Or buy expensive shoes.

Affordable "aka Cheep" foot wear can have good arch support you just have to try them on, even for my GF no matter how cool they are, no arch support no buy. Nothing beats high quality foot wear, it depends on if you want to pay for it. Some times expansive foot wear has no arch support as well.

A pair of boots I have has only a 3.5" heel with moderate arch support but it's not that bad to make me return them. Heel cup and insole for less than eight bucks work well on these boots. I am talking about for all day wear with them as well. However any higher than 3.5/3.75" I get very picky, no support, no keepers. :winkiss:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 weeks later...

Affordable "aka Cheep" foot wear can have good arch support you just have to try them on, even for my GF no matter how cool they are, no arch support no buy. Nothing beats high quality foot wear, it depends on if you want to pay for it. Some times expansive foot wear has no arch support as well.

A pair of boots I have has only a 3.5" heel with moderate arch support but it's not that bad to make me return them. Heel cup and insole for less than eight bucks work well on these boots. I am talking about for all day wear with them as well. However any higher than 3.5/3.75" I get very picky, no support, no keepers. ;)

You make excellent points. The bottom line here is that we will receive what we insist upon. If more people would make it known that the mfgr. simply must build a quality shoe if he wants to sell it, then we wouldn't have to put up with the junk. Moreover, people need to recognize that the after market add-ins are really no subsitute for a well made shoe.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

How about experimenting with shaped pieces of lightweight wood bonded securely to the sole where the support is needed and then replacing the insoles?

I think Benno's idea has merit. Balsa wood is an obvious choice, albeit rather soft; obeche might be better - both should be easy to find in a model/hobby shop. Cork is another possibility, laminated layers of floor tiles might suit. I suggest removing the insole and glueing the wood/cork temporarily with a few dabs of impact adhesive (and perhaps using PVA wood glue if a further layer is needed). The top shape could be roughed-out before fitting (ideally a little overheight) with coarse glasspaper, with further careful sanding as necessary after trying on. When happy with the fit, remove the entire 'support' and refix it firmly with impact adhesive and add the insole likewise. (I imagine that orthopaedic shoe lifts are custom-made in much this way.) Worth a try, anyway!

Actually, the shape of the arch has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the shoe whatsoever. there are cheap shoes with pronounced arching and there are expensive shoes with no arching. Some people find arch support comfortable and others find it uncomfortable. One thing you can do with a boot is to wear Dr Scholl Arch Supports which fit with an elastic band around your instep or put a chunk of foam in your socks in the required places. With sandals you can put a piece of foam in your hosiery...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 weeks later...