Beware of wearings skirts and heels in public.

frodo220

Check this out. Who really needs this kind of grief?

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090506/D980E4M00.html

Subtle is a much better approach. I don't see the need for any adult male to purposely annoy someone else.

Frodo

Frodo, for as many times as you keep preaching that it's wrong to annoy people by wearing unusual things, did it ever occur to you that maybe the folks who wear what they want are not intending to annoy anyone, but maybe just trying to be individuals and wearing what they like? Maybe you don't like what they wear, and maybe you are turned off by it; but what's the old saying? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I wear heels because I like them. I don't wear them thinking "Boy, I sure hope I cause somebody to grimace because they can't stand the sight of a guy in heels". Women wear flamboyant things too, and they actually do try to get a rise out of guys by doing so. :winkiss:

I will agree court probably was not the right place for that though. A woman wearing "loud" clothing wouldn't be taken very seriously either.

Arrest for wearing a skirt i cant see myself ever going out in one but what next arrest for a kilt, loud shirts,valour flairs? ( well maybe them :winkiss: ) If the guy wanted to turn up in HUGE floppy shoes and a spinney bow-tie that should not be reason for arrest. Its just not gonna help him out much in the dock................

Whatever you do in life you are either going to be annoyed by someone or be annoying to someone else...a good quote..." You can please some of the people some of the time....and you can please all the people some of the time....but you can't please All the people All the time"....there is always going to be someone who does not like what you ..Wear, Say, Do etc etc....:winkiss:

Frodo, for as many times as you keep preaching that it's wrong to annoy people by wearing unusual things, did it ever occur to you that maybe the folks who wear what they want are not intending to annoy anyone, but maybe just trying to be individuals and wearing what they like? Maybe you don't like what they wear, and maybe you are turned off by it; but what's the old saying? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I wear heels because I like them. I don't wear them thinking "Boy, I sure hope I cause somebody to grimace because they can't stand the sight of a guy in heels". Women wear flamboyant things too, and they actually do try to get a rise out of guys by doing so. :winkiss:

I will agree court probably was not the right place for that though. A woman wearing "loud" clothing wouldn't be taken very seriously either.

My "tongue in cheek" point is that when people are that obvious, there is significant risk. If one does not mind or care about it, that is their choice. But, one must acknowledge the fact that some will be offended by "in their face" flamboyance, so it is more mature to just give people a break.

What I find offensive is the attitude of some "flamboyant" ones are severely offended by people who react to their overt actions to annoy or bother. They do not want people offended by their actions, but they themselves are offended by the reactions some people give them. What a double standard!!

Check this out. Who really needs this kind of grief?

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090506/D980E4M00.html

Subtle is a much better approach. I don't see the need for any adult male to purposely annoy someone else.

Frodo

I'd have to counter that we all need this kind of grief, as well as this kind of publicity. The article was very gender-friendly, making the NOPD look like jerks, particularly their mention of the damages: $1. Clearly, they're pointing out the individual is making a much-needed public point, rather than being a money-grubber.

I'm glad he's got the guts to show up in court in a skirt, to cry "foul," and to follow through in such a stylish manner.

If I lived in New Orleans, I'd wear a pin-striped skirt to the hearing in support!

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

My "tongue in cheek" point is that when people are that obvious, there is significant risk. If one does not mind or care about it, that is their choice. But, one must acknowledge the fact that some will be offended by "in their face" flamboyance, so it is more mature to just give people a break.

What I find offensive is the attitude of some "flamboyant" ones are severely offended by people who react to their overt actions to annoy or bother. They do not want people offended by their actions, but they themselves are offended by the reactions some people give them. What a double standard!!

The police officer was out of line by threatening to arrest the guy. If the court requires a certain dress code then it should say exactly what kind of clothing is acceptable.

What's so flamboyant about a pin stripe skirt? If it were a woman wearing it you wouldn't say that. Why do you think that a guy wearing a skirt and heels is so offensive? Is he hurting anyone? Is he making fun of anyone? Is he a threat? Only a person with a very traditional outlook of life would think so.

The only way I'd find a piece of clothing offensive is if there was something written on it that was derogatory towards certain people or that it symbolised something offensive to someone. the last time I've checked, skirts and heels don't fall into that category. However, if a guy were walking down the street dressed like a Nazi SS officer or wore a KKK hood and robe, then I'd agree that he is offensive.

All I ask is to be able to dress how I like, whether it be a more feminine style or not, without having people think that I'm trying to get attention on purpose. I give others the same courtesy, even if I don't like their personal style. I might think that anyone who wears Crocs or Uggs is commiting a fashion faux pas but it's their choice and I'm definitely not offended and definitely not going to approach them and speak my mind.

I don't understand what the problem is. A guy goes to court in a pinstripe skirt, a very smart piece of attire and I assume that this was co-ordinated with a suitable shirt and I dare say he was wearing flat men's shoes (otherwise the article would have said so). If a woman turned up with pinstripe trousers on then nothing would have been said, at all!

There could be a contempt of court issue however if the man is well known for wearing skirts all or most of the time then this cannot apply.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.