heel height for men

luvs2wearthighboots

I am always wondering when I see heel types for men & for women that the men NEVER seem to get past a certain height in heels whereas they (the heels) for WOMEN seem to change all the time! I cannot for the life of me figure this out :x its almost like there some hidden line that must not be crossed for the higher heels for men, as if it would really matter in the long run. this gender label stuff is really rediculous, heck, I've even seen hiking type boots that would have been "MENS" style @ one time, but now they are in the WOMENS section, go figure :wink: all I can say about this is that it is strange to my thinking (to say the least) yours, Brad

Well, this is just me, mind you, but I'm of the opinion that heel heights depends on a person's comfort level, skill in walking in them and, in a way, the environment said person happens to be in. Take me for example, I wear pumps at the office where I work every day, but opt for three to four inch heights since I tend to on and off my feet going from area to area during the course of the workday, so comfort is a must. Also, at 6-2, I'm tall enough as it is, I don't want to stick out in the crowd any more than I already do now. :-D Again, that's just me. I'm sure others have their own preferences regarding heel heights.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

My comfort level runs in the 3.5" to 4" area for max height, though I have some 4.375" high I don't wear those to often because the alter my walk to much. But I got a pair of boots that are 5" with a 1" plat and don't have much of a problem wearing them as for a comfort level in appearance. Also there is a point where a higher heel requires almost every day wear in order to keep the foot adapted to the height and I don't have the time beacuse that my job requires safety shoes. :D If you look around you can find any thing you want in a heel height. But if I want a 5" plus heel I am going to have to pay a perineum price for a custom made cowboy boot starting a $350.00!!! :wink: Just have to keep looking for what you want and nothing stops me from looking in the women’s section.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

If you look around you can find any thing you want in a heel height. But if I want a 5" plus heel I am going to have to pay a perineum price for a custom made cowboy boot starting a $350.00!!! :wink: Just have to keep looking for what you want and nothing stops me from looking in the women’s section.

Were you looking at this site?

http://www.westernranchboots.com/cowboy/five-inch-heels.html

I don't care that much for "male" boots (cowboy, engineer, etc.) but I have been thinking of having them make a mule-type shoe for me based upon this design.

A few years ago I had a pair of Wesco engineer boots made with a few custom features, including no ankle straps. Although I can wear these boots in public (and often do, especially on cold damp days) they are not as satisfying as women's footwear.

Michael

Also, at 6-2, I'm tall enough as it is, I don't want to stick out in the crowd any more than I already do now.

Hi Jeff,

reminds me to my problem: I'm 6' 4'' tall and wear EU 44/45 (UK womens 11 rsp. US womens 13).

For me it's much more difficult to find moderate heel heights than extreme stilettos. No problem to buy 8'' ballet boots in my size but impossible to wear such extreme shoes in daily life!

The problem is to find beautiful and fashionable styles in my size or simply boots with 3'' or 4'' block heels. Most of my time I wear my male style girlie plateau boots from Buffalo (1.5'' soles and 4.5'' block heels). I bought them in the biggest available size 42. They are truly 43 but they are still too narrow for me.

Therefore I was glad to find my new fashionable pointed boots with thin 4.5'' stiletto heels. They look "awfully" feminine. But I can walk comfortably on them and on these boots I match still to standard 2-m-door frames :wink:. May be that people are staring at me - but it's a fun!

micha

PS: My regard to your courage to wear high heels at work! As a freelancer I have to be more modest.

The best fashion is your own fashion!

If you look around you can find any thing you want in a heel height. But if I want a 5" plus heel I am going to have to pay a perineum price for a custom made cowboy boot starting a $350.00!!! :wink: Just have to keep looking for what you want and nothing stops me from looking in the women’s section.

Hi Hoverfly,

thats exactly my opinion! Before paying 350 Dollars/Euros I prefer always to plunder the women's or the fetish section :D

micha

reminds me to my problem: I'm 6' 4'' tall and wear EU 44/45 (UK womens 11 rsp. US womens 13).

We share a common problem, Micha! I also need a 13 wide for maximum comfort, and gunboats THAT big can't be found just anywhere! Still, I manage to find a resource here and there that provides me with what I need.

Because I work in an office environment, I can't be too outrageous in terms of heel height, so I never go beyond four inches, and that's more than good enough for me. It's what I like and I not only have lots of fun with it, I get plenty of compliments from female co-workers on my shoes! :-D

Hay what ever flots your boats here people. :wink: I think those Western boots would look great on me. :D Any way for the record I am 6'2".

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I'm what you could call "the little guy" in this room (only 5-7) :wink: amd I really don't need to worry about foot size 'cause I have a small foot (for a man) @ size 7 (which is womens 9) :D so I NEVER have to wonder too much about what size shoe or boots I might want to try on in most cases. in boots, Brad

I'm a UK8ish (US10M) and 5'9", so I also raid whatever I feel like in the women's section. I've only once or twice gone to 'fetish' stores, and I've never bought anything from them. I'm happy trekking around in my 'women's' heels. Long may it continue! I once had the fright of my life in Transformation when I went in after a pair of Laurie-style laceup boots, and came out wondering who the dickens pays around a hundred quid for a pair of cheaply-made and hideous-looking boots?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I'm 5' 8" - 5' 9" ish, and wear a UK size 6.5, Eur size 39.5, so I have no real trouble finding things in any stores. Just got a pair of square toe, 4.75 inch block/blade heel, slingback sandals from Shoefayre and tried them on in the shop. No problem.

Transformation (Euston, London) has to be one of the most pushy places that I have ever been to: "Are you buying today?", "How would you like to pay for that?", "I'll order one in your size". Aaaarrgghhh. Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with their advice or their stuff either.

I'm a UK8ish (US10M) and 5'9", so I also raid whatever I feel like in the women's section. I've only once or twice gone to 'fetish' stores, and I've never bought anything from them. I'm happy trekking around in my 'women's' heels. Long may it continue!

I once had the fright of my life in Transformation when I went in after a pair of Laurie-style laceup boots, and came out wondering who the dickens pays around a hundred quid for a pair of cheaply-made and hideous-looking boots?

Hi Yamyam,

concerning shoe sizes your are a lucky man!

Today in the early evening I made a promenade in the city of Frankfurt. Wearing my new pointed 4.5'' stiletto boots. They are really comfortable. No problem to walk many kilometers on them.

Naturally I studied the shoe shop windows. A lot of nice boots with my favourite style. Especially I saw a pair of light brown pointed suede ankle boots, which I had buyed immediately. But the shops are closed at sunday in Germany and if they were opened ... that wouldn't make any difference. Maximum size: EU 41 :wink:

In spite of this it was a big fun to make a promenade in public on thin high stilettos :D.

As usual, no bad comments but somtimes curious glimpses. This has to be repeated!

micha

Heel heights on mens shoes don't go past 1 1/2" because they don't think that such shoes will sell to the mass market and they are probably right. Shoe production is based on what they think will sell to a reasonable sector of the market.

I'm also 6'2" and wear a US women's size 13. I remember last Xmas, going to a dinner party with ordinary cowboy boots and getting a comment from a friend that he could never wear heels that high! A was practically speechless, since boot heels are not high at all. They don't know what high heels are! Reminds me of women's comments that "I can't wear heels that high." Are they proud of being inept or unfit? Or is it like boasting about their sicknesses to get attention? The only person who knows about my heels now is a tall salon girl who keeps claiming she can't wear heels that high because she would fall down. I doubt she has ever tried, but I think she would if pushed. Try, not fall down, that is. :wink:

There would seem to be a mindset of sorts with women where they can't believe it's possible for a man to walk or even stand in high heeled shoes, like that's a talent only women possess. When my female co-workers first saw me in heels, they loved my shoes, then asked how I could walk in them. My answer was an easy one: "Practice." :-D That always startles them, but yes, it most certainly can be done! And we're all proof of that!

Dose that mean that we are the unreasonable part of the market? :wink:

Heel heights on mens shoes don't go past 1 1/2" because they don't think that such shoes will sell to the mass market and they are probably right. Shoe production is based on what they think will sell to a reasonable sector of the market.

Bought another pair of boots last week with a 4" stilleto heel.Tried on half a dozen different pairs in the store and the sales girl couldn't get over how well I walked in them.She said that 4" was way to high for her and didn't know how I managed! What a giggle.Still, she had only been on the job a short while and I was the first guy she had sold heels to so she did real well.

BTW.I love the new boots,they are by Sachi and the style is"Peso".Each boot came with a removable ankle belt with a beaten pewter medelion on it. Quite cool really..

Here's a link to the chain of stores I bought them from.The winter catalog should be up soon.

http://overlandfootwear.co.nz/

I'm a UK8ish (US10M) and 5'9", so I also raid whatever I feel like in the women's section. I've only once or twice gone to 'fetish' stores, and I've never bought anything from them. I'm happy trekking around in my 'women's' heels. Long may it continue!

I once had the fright of my life in Transformation when I went in after a pair of Laurie-style laceup boots, and came out wondering who the dickens pays around a hundred quid for a pair of cheaply-made and hideous-looking boots?

The same people who hid them in their car body panels so the wife doesn't find out! :wink:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, forgot to mention.... my favourite heel height.... Hmm. As long as I can feel the heel is there then that's cool! I really like my 5in loafers, but I'm also really starting to like my new 4in sandals. I also like my 3.5in ankle boots.... so take an average of about 4.25 inches! Heheh SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I believe, that 3.5 to 4.5 inches are the best heel heights for men. Still easy to walk on, having the feeling to walk on heels and making you not too big. My average outdoor heel height is similar like Squirrel Heel's. Mostly I wear in daily life my beloved Buffalo platform boots (5''), the Jean-Gaborit knee boots with the selfmade conical 4'' heels, the black/white laced platform ankle boots from Fantasy shoes with 2'' platforms and 5.5'' heels and my new pointy varnish boots with 4.5'' stiletto heels. I think these models are the favourite choice of my shoe closet (you must know that I'm a bootlover :wink:), because they all are very comfortable to wear, they look pretty for my taste and have the right size. At the moment I'm lurking for the new models of FUSS in male sizes. I'm crazy about the fashionable pointy velours stiletto boots! I assume that these boots have a heel height between 4 and 4.5 inches. micha PS @Robert: My posting is no objection to your opinion. I'm glad about every guy wearing heels. You prefer 2.5 inches, I prefer 4.5 inches. I don't like postings like "Heels below 4'' are no real heels!" :D

Any heel is a real heel. <1in is a real heel, as it's still under that section of the foot - i.e. at the back! So nobody can say that <4in isn't a real heel, cos that's just plain poppycock! (That's British slang, not dirty!) SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

So nobody can say that <4in isn't a real heel, cos that's just plain poppycock! (That's British slang, not dirty!)

Or "load of f-----g rubbish"? A young lady at the Bracknell field office often used that expression.

I'd go with the high end of Micha's estimate. 4 1/2 inches is good for walking around the house and retrieving the newspaper during hours of darkness. It is also high enough to get me aroused.

I love heels as high as I can stand them. So far I have tried up to 6 inches and I feel very safe and secure wearing such lethal weapons. It is getting quite painful to walk around in them for very long though. I wore 6 inch heels in the house for a week and developed an ache in both calves.

Now I'm relaxing in my slides and my spike-heeled boots have been standing neglected in the closet for the past few days (planning a gruesome punishment no doubt).

Michael

Micha, thank you. If I would wear 3 to 4 inch heels I couldn't walk very far or walk the whole day as I see and feel it now. Squirrelheels said somewhere else it's just practice and perseverance. I know, I don't walk much in heels, I go mostly shopping in my male flat shoes. If I want to wear heels I have to be sure I go somewhere I can't meet family or friends. It's getting better all the time to have more confidence this part of the outside walking.

I'm quite happy in my 4" heels for an evening out, and i don't think I'll go much higher than that. I don't want to end up with a collection of 'bedroom' heels at the moment, I'm happy walking around in mine. So for me, I think around 2.5" to 4" is fine with me for heely days. Day to day, as I've said no end of times before, I don't wear heels, but I'm quite proud of the fact that I can change from trainers to heels, and walk around in heels for two days without any ill effects, then go back to flat shoes for Monday morning.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I find my 4 inchers good enough for the moment. I have sandals coming in that I think are 5in but I couldn't see myself walking through a mall in them. The 4in ones I probably could walk through and shop but not the 5in

I wish I was a size 10