Discrimination!

Bootking

I was in Portchester, NY on Sunday and stopped into a Joyce Leslie clothing store. I picked up a couple of pieces and then, unlike what I normally do, went to the fitting room to try them on.

The woman said, "You can't come in here!" I said that I wanted to try these on and she then said, "No you can't try anything on!"

So, I put the items back and left!

It's all about the heel!

Some stores do have a serious policy of prohibiting men from the changing rooms... This is because of perverts, I'm not saying you are one, but they do not want a lawsuit from a disgruntled female customer. What I do is try on at home and return it if it doesn't fit.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Most stores allow men to try on stuff, but some just don't for whatever reason. When I was in my 20's, I used to go to Jean Nicole and Brooks to try on stuff, as well as Fitting Image back in the 90's - none of them had a problem with me, but I guess it's just up to the individual stores as to what their "policies" are - no matter if it drives customers away or not.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 3 weeks later...

I do try clothes on in the store. Lane Bryant has been very good at allowing me to do it, though the store that I frequent has a new manager and since she has been there I haven't had chance to ask. The outlets I go to though usually will only let me in the dressing areas if they aren't busy. Since I do get good service most of the time, I respect their decision if they are reluctant to let me in. I think it has more to do with other customers complaining than store policy. But based upon the story you relayed, I wouldn't go back to that store either.

Style is built from the ground up!

A CD friend of mine would go to the same store time after time and was on first name terms with staff and everything. Then one day she was approached by a very sheepish manageress and told that they'd had a man come from head office to tell her that CDs or men were now forbidden from using the fitting rooms on the grounds that there had been a number (!) of complaints over the course of the previous few months. How this would equate to post-op TSs with a Gender Recognition Certificate I don't know.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.