IQ poll

What is your IQ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your IQ?

• 1. 150+ (I'm dead clever me!)
    • 2. 130-149 (I'm wasted just logging onto this forum)
    • 3. 110-129 (Quite Bright)
    • 4. 90-109 (I'm about average)
    • 5. 70 -89 (What does IQ mean?)

OK, it's controversial, and a consequence of some grief I had from some pissed up Neandarthal types I had on a train yesterday.

Please take time to vote (honestly if possible, please). The choices are skewed towards the upper end, but, unfortunately, sub 70 IQ is barely literate enough to participate here. At the other end of the spectrum, I know we have had the occasional University Professor on the old board, so >150 is reasonably feasible.

Be interesting to see how things turn out.

.... well, failed at the first hurdle. Didn't manage to create a poll, despite entering 8 choices in the appropriate box. Couldn't even edit the resulting abortion to delete it entirely. Suppose I better go back to the drawing board !

Xa

I haven't done any IQ tests since playing with Eysenck's "Know your own IQ" book when I was in my teens. I was getting mensa entry scores back then but I'm sure quite a few of the old brain cells have died since then. I never did join mensa, despite being encouraged by a former girlfriend. Not sure I wanted to join that kind of dating club:smile: Also I'm a Marxist (Groucho) - I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member.

I never did join mensa, despite being encouraged by a former girlfriend. Not sure I wanted to join that kind of dating club:smile: Also I'm a Marxist (Groucho) - I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member.

That is almost exactly what I told them when they said I was more mechanical than philosophical. Oh well their loss.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

The ability to score highly in IQ tests does deteriorate with age mainly because you tend to rely on experience and knowledge for problem solving rather than resorting to lateral thinking...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Not Kilogrammes surely!?

Actually, it is his shoe size.

I have always wondered why people tend to think that IQ is important.

In my profession are some of the smartest people in the world (according

to IQ), but some of them are plain stupid in nearly everything else.

To me, IQ reflects your ability to take IQ tests. And those tests are

culture bound. Example: what is the next number in the sequence

3 1 4 1 5

You could say 1 and that looks quite fine, but if you happen to know

a lot of digits of pi, you would select 9. How is some psychologist going

to say that either one or the other is wrong?

And how about people who have been studying a lot to take these tests

versus people who have never seen one? Or people who didn't sleep the

night before. Yet psychologists then think you may be stupid and send you

off to a school for the mentally handicapped (this happened in California).

I am not sure this poll is a good idea. These polls are not anonymous (or

was that changed recently?). People with a low IQ won't fill it out and

people in the top bracket probably won't either because they don't want to

be seen as boasting.

How about weight x IQ / shoesize ? :winkiss:

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Actually, it is his shoe size.

I have always wondered why people tend to think that IQ is important.

In my profession are some of the smartest people in the world (according

to IQ), but some of them are plain stupid in nearly everything else.

To me, IQ reflects your ability to take IQ tests. And those tests are

culture bound. Example: what is the next number in the sequence

3 1 4 1 5

You could say 1 and that looks quite fine, but if you happen to know

a lot of digits of pi, you would select 9. How is some psychologist going

to say that either one or the other is wrong?

And how about people who have been studying a lot to take these tests

versus people who have never seen one? Or people who didn't sleep the

night before. Yet psychologists then think you may be stupid and send you

off to a school for the mentally handicapped (this happened in California).

I am not sure this poll is a good idea. These polls are not anonymous (or

was that changed recently?). People with a low IQ won't fill it out and

people in the top bracket probably won't either because they don't want to

be seen as boasting.

How about weight x IQ / shoesize ? :winkiss:

Y.

This poll is in fact anonymous... even the residents of mod mansions don't know who voted.

There is a check box that makes them public, I left the box unchecked.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I believe the essential qualification for joining the National Front (a nasty band of thugs in the UK who masquerade as a political entity) is that your IQ is less than your boot size.

I believe the essential qualification for joining the National Front (a nasty band of thugs in the UK who masquerade as a political entity) is that your IQ is less than your boot size.

I wish this was actually true but I'm afraid to say that some very intelligent people are members...

My IQ? 180 --- (Opps, that's my weight ---Lbs :winkiss: - Just a little humor there. :clap::lmao::unsure:)

I said 130+, but that could be my golf score. :silly: Actually, I haven't had a reliable IQ test in many moons. On the other hand, one's IQ isn't all that it's cracked-up to be. If you can walk (in heels) and chew gum simultaneously then yer probably in pretty good shape. Or to put it another way, I managed to plug-in the toaster and actually get toast out of it this morning, so I figure I'm good-to-go.

Besides, how's one come up with that magic number: lessee you take yer area code and divide by yer zip code and then multiply by the number of beers in yer 'frige - right? :w00t2:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 4 weeks later...

Did some tests many years back and were varying 125 -135. In my profession (aviation) it's not just being able to think sideways as the Mensa tests challenge. It's to read the book and do the job right otherwise we 'd have a ton of scrap metal and a graveyard at the bottom of our gardens. Neither I want! I've known cleverer fellers put up exit signs pointing the wrong way, unable to rewire a cable harness and then complain why they get simple cleaning tasks afterwards. I'm not Einstein so quotes of relativity and all the equations are not required reading but as with many, what we do, we learn to do, to the best of our capability. Our trade, families and hobbies come first and then we add in the extras as we need and use. There is many a fool that think they know it all. Me "I know nothing" I'm still at the school of life. Al

Did some tests many years back and were varying 125 -135.

In my profession (aviation) it's not just being able to think sideways as the Mensa tests challenge. It's to read the book and do the job right otherwise we 'd have a ton of scrap metal and a graveyard at the bottom of our gardens.

Neither I want!

I've known cleverer fellers put up exit signs pointing the wrong way, unable to rewire a cable harness and then complain why they get simple cleaning tasks afterwards.

I'm not Einstein so quotes of relativity and all the equations are not required reading but as with many, what we do, we learn to do, to the best of our capability.

Our trade, families and hobbies come first and then we add in the extras as we need and use.

There is many a fool that think they know it all.

Me "I know nothing" I'm still at the school of life.

Al

:unsure::clap::silly:

Thanks Al, for adding a nice handle on what I was euphemisticly trying to convey.

While I could be wrong, it seems to me that those MENSA folk are running a religion of sorts, and I wouldn't be too surprised to learn at some time in the future that some sort of dress or costume is required for membership.

For many years, I wondered why graduation ceremonies were labled "commencement exercises". :winkiss: Then some years later I finally figured-out that that is the point at which one begins to start learning all that the school never got around to teaching.

As for me, besides building some of the biggest aircraft ever to fly, I've also got about 40 years in electronics and computers. In actual fact, I first worked on mechanical adding machines and eventually worked my way through an A+ course and some of the more modern computers. So I have litereally "grown-up" along side the computer industry. Yet only a fool would dare tell you he knows all there is to know about 'em. I think I got left behind in the dust about 15 years ago, and they're coming out with newer and newer stuff every day.

But still, Intelligence has more to do with our ability to solve problems, and there are very few tests that truly test this aspect of people. On the other hand, there is the related subject of Knowledge, :clap: which truly is not actually intelligence but it is related. Then we get to the matter of Wisdom, which is may be related to intelligence, but is really an altogether different subject. Unfortunately, I think that altogether too many people tend to get these 3 confused.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Intelligence: the measure of what we have been taught.

Knowledge: what we actually know.

Wisdom: the practical application of knowledge and intelligence. But none of it is any good without common sense. I have known many intelligent, book smart people that were dumb as a box of rocks because they lacked common sense. In my field of work I have to fix many a mistake "designed" by someone with a lot more book education than I have because they lacked common sense.

To me Wisdom requires common sense because otherwise you can not practially apply the knowledge you have been given.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

I have never taken an IQ test, never felt the need to, intelligence is all well and good and does have a wide range of applications, but it is only one way in which to measure a persons "smartness" good old common sense is also a very valuable way of seeking out how intelligent someone is or perhaps how useful a member of society they are. Maybe we could be set a test that we can all take so at the very least we would be playing on a level playing field.:winkiss:

• 3 months later...

Due to the public educational system, most of us have learn to memorize, hence our personal data bank. (From what I understand, we all knew everything before we became mortal, but didn't know what to do with it. One of the reasons for our mortality is to learn how to apply this data.) However, as we go through the stages of life, we only use a portion of this memorization and our ferber for activities to gain experience in different areas seems to decrease a bit. We seldom interact with other human beings that aren't within our clique of "friends" or change our sphere of activities, unless some enticement has motivated us to do so. After the enticement wares off, we fall back into the state of being we are most comfortable with. Intelligence only gives us the awareness that all things are not as they should be and then we use our developed wisdom to figure out how we want to adapt to our environment and still function. Hopefully, this adaptation is a step up and you can excel, but usually you have to compromise for less than your worth. As far as the rating of my idiot meter, of course I'm going to say I'm on the better end, but as far as your concerned the decision is yours anyway. I could try to persuade your voting, but that still wouldn't change your perception. I will instead, refer you to all the sayings brought forth in the movie: "Forest Gump" for some comparisons. Opening any commentary thread is like a box of chocolates.

IQ tests don't measure imagination.

Imagining your best self vividly living the life you truly desire is in my opinion, the true key to happiness, success, and a fulfilling life.

Long may I imagine myself abundantly enjoying beautiful women, travel, some fame, fortune, a fulfilling career, great valuable friendships, and a loving relationship with my father.

that mensa membership I got at 16 has nothing to do with this...

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I don't think IQ tests are always a 100% honest reflection of intelligence. It is possible to just be good at IQ tests, as in have a knack for them. Yet they might not be as 'intelligent' as somone who is genuinely clever, but just doesn't have a knack for IQ tests.

• 1 month later...
In the school system that I grew up in, they gave us IQ tests in 1st grade, then we were placed in classes accordingly. I scored high on the tests, but I was not a fast worked. They put me in the accelerated classes and I struggled throughout from 2nd grade through 7th grade. Finally in high school, you could choose the classes you wanted to be in and I worked at my own pace and had no problems. That's the only problem I have with "some" IQ tests.

• 2 months later...

I voted just for statistical purposes but am not telling my score. Enough saying I have been invited to Mensa and the sort of organizations.

Yet I find that the so-over-rated intelligence subject to IQ tests means really nothing since once I met two kids with Down's Syndrome.

I was a high school teacher, and the institution had a especial programme for people with this condition.

Once I came, and these two folks with DS, who awaited for me every day at the gate, took my hands and guided me to the gym. There were the regular students having their karate practices, and one of my friends told me: "He knows karate also" referring to our next companion, who immediately replied -with a glorious attitude and self confidence- "Yes. Indeed I CAN TEACH'EM some moves".

He gave me one of the biggest and most precious lessons in my life.