How to store boots when not in use?

Rockpup

Ok.. This is probably pretty basic but I do not remember them covering "how to store thigh high leather boots" in home-ec class.. maybe I was out sick that day *Shrug*.. Whats the best way to store leather boots when not in use? I only have a couple pairs that are tall enough to need to worry about, but I'm hoping to keep them in good shape for as long as possible :wink: Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever incorrectly stored some boots and found them in less then optimal shape afterwards. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I just keep the boxes or put them in other boxes. Just keep them out of the sun and heat. Or cold and damp places.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I hang mine up with my pants and suits in the wardrobe. If you get the hangers which clamp onto the the waistband of your pants and clip them to the top of your thigh-highs, they will hang with your clothes and keep their shape. ...... you get a damn good buzz when you have to put on your boring business suit too, seeing your thigh-highs next to the suit ! Xa

I hang mine up with my pants and suits in the wardrobe. If you get the hangers which clamp onto the the waistband of your pants and clip them to the top of your thigh-highs, they will hang with your clothes and keep their shape.

...... you get a damn good buzz when you have to put on your boring business suit too, seeing your thigh-highs next to the suit !

Xa

A good idea.

Another way is to make a wooden insert roughly in the shape of the boot. This need only be two dimensional and can be done easily on a bandsaw.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You can also glue a couple of empty plastic bottles together and obtain a rigid soft tower you can then insert in the boots, allowing them to rest in a corner straight up the way they are designed for, or make some vertical separations as high as the boots and just a bit wider as one pair, creating a kind of garage space for every single pair if you have more. I use a similar system that is geared for over the knee boots, the thigh highs then rest over the top of the separation and back down into next compartiment.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 3 weeks later...

I hang mine up with my pants and suits in the wardrobe. If you get the hangers which clamp onto the the waistband of your pants and clip them to the top of your thigh-highs, they will hang with your clothes and keep their shape.

...... you get a damn good buzz when you have to put on your boring business suit too, seeing your thigh-highs next to the suit !

Xa

That's what I did on my business trip to Austin the other week. After taking off my boots (I had slept in them), I put them on a hanger in the closet. I wonder if the maid tried them on?

Michael

If they're an expensive or special pair of boots then I tend to keep the box the boots came in, as leaving them laying in the bottom of the wardrobe will ruin them. I also use the expanding boot shapers footwear shops insert into their boots to keep them in good shape on the shelf. I bought some of those expanding boot shapers from Brantano for only £8 per pair - keeps the boots in much better shape than using tissue paper :wink: Regards Becks

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!