Heel slipping out when walking

gimf

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope you'll forgive me for just jumping right in here with a question, but I've been searching for an answer to this for some time and you all seem to be a wonderfully friendly bunch of people who offer excellent advice. I looked through the forum first for an answer, but was unable to find exactly what I need. If this has been discussed a thousand times before, please just point me to the right thread... thanks. So, my question: is it really, really difficult to find stiletto pumps that your heels do not slip out of when walking? I have tried many different styles and brands (all moderately priced though) and I have also used in-soles and heel grips, but to no avail. The only thing that seems to work for me is an ankle-strap. Ankle straps are great, but they are not always available for the shoes that I want to buy, which really limits me. Do I have strangely shaped feet (I don't think I do, to be honest)? Am I not walking correctly? Do other people have similar problems? Is there something I am forgetting when ordering/trying on shoes? What does one need to look for to find a shoe that will stay on the foot? If the only way is to get custom shoes made, can anyone recommend some manufacturers who actually answer their emails? I hope someone has some words of advice, as this is really driving me nuts. I just want to pull on a hot pair of 5" pumps and walk without breaking my neck. That's all ;-) I get really jealous when I see women on TV or on the street just casually strolling around in their heels without any difficulty at all. It's silly, I know :w00t2:

Welcome! gimf, Yes, many of us have the same problem with some heels. Some times it is the construction or design that causes slippage. Fit could also be a factor. Maybe the heels aren't high enough. Then another possible problem could be in the way you walk. So many things could contribute. Ankle straps or Mary Jane straps seem to be you best options for the conditions you describe. You could go to your local shoe repair shop and see if they could attach a set of adjustable straps to the heels you desire. (You may have to supply the straps.) Hope to hear more about you and your heeling.

Maybe the heels aren't high enough.

Would you mind explaining how that works, I can't seem to wrap my mind around that idea. I thought the higher the heel, the greater the chance of slipping out with your rear foot.

Ankle straps or Mary Jane straps seem to be you best options for the conditions you describe. You could go to your local shoe repair shop and see if they could attach a set of adjustable straps to the heels you desire. (You may have to supply the straps.)

That is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that (any suggestions where I can get straps online?). But still, it is a pity that this can't simply be solved by shoe construction. I find ankle straps sexy with some outfits, but they can also destroy the wonderful optic of the long ankle and foot ridge. They make your eye stop exactly where you actually want it to carry on ;-)

Would you mind explaining how that works, I can't seem to wrap my mind around that idea. I thought the higher the heel, the greater the chance of slipping out with your rear foot.

With a completely flat heel, the back of the shoe and the back of your foot near your heel are basically parallel, so if you bend your toes a little, and lean your leg forward, it's easy to see how how your foot could just lift out of the back of the shoe.

With a heel, particularly a higher one, the rear of the shoe will be slightly angled forward, but since you leg is still straight, one some shoes, it sort of presses back into the the shoe a little, gripping it. Obviously you don't want too much of that, as it could really did into the back of your foot.

I mentioned this in another threads, but there are pads that go either underneath the ball of the foot, and also inside the shoe on the back inside edge (right where your leg would "grip" the back of the heel) which are supposed to help your foot fit better into the heel.

With a heel, particularly a higher one, the rear of the shoe will be slightly angled forward, but since you leg is still straight, one some shoes, it sort of presses back into the the shoe a little, gripping it. Obviously you don't want too much of that, as it could really did into the back of your foot.

Ah okay, I understand the logic there. The higher the heel, the greater the slope and so the more the heel protrudes backward into the recess in the shoe. My problem occurs when I take a step forward (of course), at which point the heel of the rear foot is on the ground but that lower leg is angled forward. This results in a nearly "normal" foot position of about 90° angle between the sole of the foot and the lower leg. The heel is no longer protruding backwards as much as before and there is nothing to prevent it from just lifting out of the shoe while the foot is moving forward.

Something I just thought of while writing this: perhaps I just have an abnormally small heel i.e. it doesn't stick out beyond the back of my leg as much as with other people. I'll have to Google some foot pictures...

I mentioned this in another threads, but there are pads that go either underneath the ball of the foot, and also inside the shoe on the back inside edge (right where your leg would "grip" the back of the heel) which are supposed to help your foot fit better into the heel.

Yes, thank you. I've tried in-soles and heel grips, but to no avail.

I've been following this thread with some interest. But you guys have already covered the salient points. The reason the heel comes out, ie slips, is because there is insufficent gripsion on the heel to keep it in the shoe. This problem is most often corrected by adding an extra strip of some sort of grippy materiel inside and to the back of the shoe. In about 85% to 90% of all cases, this works and you forget about the blisters and/or the worn hoisery.

However - there are some shoes where nothing seems to work! I am a leathersmith (craftsman) and I can build-up a leather ridge on a shoe that will not even allow you get your foot in - leave alone out! Only I had one pair of shoes where every skill and piece of leather at my command just wasn't up to the job! (I think I finally tossed the shoes.) About the only thing I can figure is that there is something about the manufacture of that particular shoe that just doesn't co-operate with any sort of remedy. (No, I don't have all the answers.) Believe me, I tried everything except the ankle strap thing and nothing worked. So take it from me, every so often you will come across a situation like mine, where nothing seems to work. After the 2nd or 3rd try - give the shoes to charity. It'll save you a lot of grey hairs. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Most pumps come from the manufacturer with the sides of the heels formed or slightly "bent" toward the center of the shoe. This, it appears, is accomplished with a slightly thicker pieces of leather sewed onto the back of the heel cup and along the sides to provide stiffness and reinforce "hold" the shape better/longer. When the shoes are new, the holding/gripping ability of the shoe heel cup is sufficient to keep your heels from slipping with each step. The problem is, however, the "spring" in the sides of the heel cup become stretched and the gripping ability is reduced with wear. My wife has told me that whenever I try to restore the grip by squeezing the sides together, that action only tends to loosen the sides and make it worse. So, I might wear thicker stockings, heel grips or just put up with it....because once the gripping ability has been stretched out of shape, there isn't a lot you can do to restore it. Boots, sling backs, ankle strap, sandals with adjustable straps and shoes with straps across the instep (mary jane) style shoes are about the only styles that keep shoes comfortably on your feet. I might add, however, the new pair of shoes I recently got for my birthday --loafer style 4 1/2" pumps with hidden platforms and high vamp across the instep, have an elastic gore that holds the shoes nicely onto my feet.(See the picture of them I posted in "who has gotten new shoes" thread around Jan 20,09)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

i've had to advise this before, and will probably need to again... duct tape! lots and lots of duct tape. although i've started to think that other methods might work. industrial stapling, epoxy, rivets. but welding is not effective! <owowowowow>

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Maybe its the way you walk, as I also love the shoes and have a few pairs, and do not have any problems of it slipping out, what I really do not like it the ones with the strap around the ancle, as the strap keep on sliding down and that can be very irratating, or maybe I am just one of the lucky ones that can wear them All of the best and I really hope you get a sullotion ;-)

I've never had much luck with pumps, except for the ones that have a snug instep. But then it's the instep that lifts the shoe instead of the heel cup. I did have two that didn't slip, but to achieve that, they were way too tight, and had to go.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

gimf- my wife has the same problem as you. with 4 inch pumps shes ok but everytime i buy her 43/4 to 5 inch pumps she cant walk in them without her foot coming out. weve tried everything to no avail. she has many pumps with the 43/4 to 5inch heels but all have an ankle strap which makes the difference. last year we went shoe shopping at aldos and she bought the black patent and red patent atlantic city pumps which i think are the sexiest shoes she has ever worn out. they are almost 5 inches but they have the 1 inch hidden platform so it makes it like walking on a 4 inch heel so we figured it would be ok without the ankle strap. she had to put a few pads in the shoe so they wouldnt slip as much. we went on a cruise in which she wore both shoes on the dress up nights but she still kept having trouble with the slippage thing. when we got back we took the shoes to a shoe repair guy and he sewed in some loops in the back of the shoe for an anklet. the anklet made all the difference. we just got back from las vegas and she wore these shoes everynight with no problem. i do agree with you that sometimes the anklet takes a little away from the look of the shoes. i think these aldo shoes look a little better without the ankle straps but we had no other choice because she couldnt wear them like that. she still looks hot with these shoes even with the ankle strap.