What heel hight do you normally wear?

misterd73

What heel hight do you normally wear?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What heel hight do you normally wear?

• 3" or below
    • 4"
    • 5.5"
    • 6"
    • 7" and above

I voted for 4" although I only own one pair of 5" heels. I hope to one day increase my collection of heels, but for now, my 5 inchers will have to do. I have not worn them out in public, but also would love to. I just can't get over the anxieties of wearing my gold strappy 5" heels outside. They just attract too much attention.;-)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past two or three weeks I have been wearing my boots as my daily footwear. One pair with 4" wedge heels (Nine west) and the other pair with 4½" heel and a ¼" platform. Three things come to mind. Either no one cares, or if they do, they don't react visibly or just don't care. Take a pace from Johnieheel and be yourself, go about your business and so what if someone notices.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've got a pair of thigh highs that are 6.5" heel and 1.5" platform, and a pair of leather knee highs with a 2.5" rubber heel for general 'stealthy' wandering about. The rubber is quieter on concrete and store floors so I can get away with wearing my gorgeous knee highs without anybody realising, unless of course they spot the heel in which case all the more fun for me ;-) It's not often that I'm stealthy though, I adore my thigh highs...

I've found that in recent weeks I'm wearing lower heels, which suits. I still have plenty of pair with 4" heels I wear regularly, but I'm just as content in a pair of Dexters with a 3" heel, which for me feels about the same as a flat.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I've found that in recent weeks I'm wearing lower heels, which suits. I still have plenty of pair with 4" heels I wear regularly, but I'm just as content in a pair of Dexters with a 3" heel, which for me feels about the same as a flat.

It's funny how I am entirely the converse of that. I wear converse every day. I think they're cool, i've got many different colors and they're easy to walk in. However, when it comes to heels I have to have really high heels. I enjoy the strain my ankle has of bending to that angle. And when I take off my heels, my feet hurt, but to me it's a worthy pain for being able to walk in them. I just enjoy the actual feeling I get of walking in them.

:EDIT:

Didn't realize the irony of mentioning two different definitions of converse... Heh.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

My choice heels actually measure 5.75" with no platform. These are really the most comfortable to walk in, and most enjoyable to wear. Anything less seems like my feet are too flat. I'd like to find a sz 12 shoe with a heel that actually measures 6". I have trouble finding platforms with a similar arch ;-)

I don't like platforms and find it uncomfortable to wear heels any higher than 5.5 inches. My wife is able to handle 6 inches, but I don't know how she does it because her feet are two sizes smaller than mine. I have tried training my feet in six inch heels by walking on a treadmill, but my calfs start aching after only walking about half a mile. Because my wife and I both wear heels all day long, every day, I don't think I'll ever find anything higher than I now wear to be practical. The only time I wear anything lower is when I go hiking. I have a pair of hiking boots that have just 4-inch heels.;-)

...However, when it comes to heels I have to have really high heels. I enjoy the strain my ankle has of bending to that angle. And when I take off my heels, my feet hurt, but to me it's a worthy pain for being able to walk in them. I just enjoy the actual feeling I get of walking in them...quote]

I wonder, are both of you saying the same thing? I definitely agree with samcar. While certainly pleasureable (why we wear them), I'm a realist in admitting that they aren't particularly comfortable, especially when you're both talking about close to 6" heels. Samcar hit it on the head of it being "...a good hurt..."

I wear cowboy boots most of the time and the heels are 1 1/2 inch. Both pair have the same height so That is where i am at with that. Might see if I can go to 2" heels if I can find them for a good price and when I need new boots. They need to be unisex, cause i have my reasons.

Hi, I'm a beginner heeler and have been wearing 4'' heels for a few weeks now, for 2-3 to 12-14 hours a day, and find that this is a good height for me -- give the exciting feeling of heels, but still very comfortable and my feet are happy by the end of the day, not tired or painful at all (maybe because i just have strong feet muscles, as i'm a sportsman and a dancer too). I got started with 4'' and these didn't take very much practice to handle well. I'm now trying 4,75'' but these take a lot more practice. On the other hand, 2,5'' already feels like flat for me. So i believe 4'' without platform, maybe a bit more with additional practice, is the best for me, and that's what i'd like to wear most of the time. I don't like anything beyond 5'', because they look "unnatural", the bend is too steep. Happy Heeling, k6ps

k6ps, I think you made a great observation (at least very similiar to my feelings). In terms of balancing the thrill of higher heel heights, with the practicality of still being able to walk well, I think 4" is about the perfect height. Lower heights (say 3") are almost too easy to walk in, and may not provide much challenge. On the other hand, no matter how much you walk, and how good you are in heels, higher heights (5") are a complely different ballgame.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly wear 4" heels. I find that this height makes for good all around shoes. I mostly wear sandals and find that higher heights tend to cause my feet to fatigue fairly quickly. When I was younger it was the higher the better, but as I get older I find that I settle for more comfortable heights.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for 7inch or higher because I have no experience in heels lower than six inches. Although I've been fascinated with heels for years and even wrote a paper in applied anatomy class on the alignment adjustments required for heels, I never really considered wearing them. Then one day I ordered a pair of 7.5 inch heels (three inch platform) for a bookshelf and bought the largest size they had so that they would be as prominent as possible. When they arrived I realized that I might fit into them, and I did, but I couldn't walk.

Long story short, they never made it to the bookshelf. I spent the next several weeks teaching myself to walk in them. Within months I was walking around the neighborhood in them and on New Year's Eve that year, I spent nearly 8 hours in another pair of comparable height.

Then I stopped for a few years to while I engaged in a 24/7 marathon work jag get my personal economy back together. I celebrated its renewed good standing by buying a pair of 8.5 inch shoes. They felt great. After a few weeks of practice around my apartment, I began wearing them outside. Monday afternoon I took two trips around the neighborhood and enjoyed the accomplished feeling and the acclaim of both my neighbors and the high school students from a nearby school.

I dream of being able to wear them all the time, but I keep reminding myself that this is NYC. The streets and sidewalks aren't ideal. One momentary lapse of attention could result in injury. OTOH, that plus the wonderful commentary in this community makes me eager to investigate lower high heels.

-MJ

I'm pretty tall, so I try to stick with 3" and under, but I wouldn't pass up a really nice pair of 4" heels.

Me too .. its tough being over 6 foot - have to be careful not to bang my head on door frames wearing 4'

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

• 2 weeks later...

I wear 5" high heels most of the time. I have started wearing 6" high heels on a regular basis and especially in public.

wow. that's courageous. To slightly deviate from the main topic, where do you wear them in public?

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

wow. that's courageous. To slightly deviate from the main topic, where do you wear them in public?

I live in the midwest and normally reaction to men in high heels would be negatively perceived. I am pleasantly surprised at the positive reactions I get to wearing high heels in public.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost all my heels are 4 inches (boot and chunky heel), and I wear them regularly in public, although under long jeans. When trying my 5" stilettos, my walking is drawing to much attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...