Cramps Frontman Lux Interior, Godfather of Psychobilly, Dies at 62

Lux often wore heels on stage.

After spending more than 30 years freaking out the squares, Lux Interior, the flamboyant lead singer of the Cramps, passed away on Wednesday morning due to an existing heart condition. He was 62.

Interior, born Erick Purkhiser outside Akron, Ohio, and his wife, Poison Ivy (nee Kristy Wallace), formed the Cramps together in 1976. The legend goes that they met in the early '70s when he picked her up as a hitchhiker in Sacramento, Calif. After a brief spell back in Akron, they moved to New York City to be a part of the punk scene that was bursting out of the legendary dives CBGB and Max's Kansas City.

However, with their heavy rockabilly influence combined with their love of other 1950s trash culture iconography such as grade-Z horror flicks and lurid EC comics, married with Alice Cooper's antics and the Stooges' bravado, the Cramps somehow turned out to be genuine originals. The band called its unique style "psychobilly," and it had a measurable impact on punk and garage rock, shock rock and the rockabilly revival of the '80s. The Cramps went through personnel almost as fast as they went through record labels, with Lux Interior and Poison Ivy remaining the only constants.

Interior was as infamous for his onstage antics as much as his howling yelp and was even known on occasion to projectile vomit into an adoring crowd. His memory will be kept alive not only through the Cramps' extensive discography, the throngs of bands they influenced and an entire breed of feral frontmen following in his footsteps but also through a bass drum on display in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in his former home state -- customized by Interior when he smashed his head through it.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

Oh, so sad to hear. Another stellar example for the younger generation to emulate gone from the scene. What ever will we do.......;-) (WTFC,AW)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 month later...

I remember seeing tapes of their stuff at Eli's and Hasting's, but my first experience listening and/or watching them was their appearance on "URGH! A Music War" - that was quite the showing to be sure.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Oh, so sad to hear. Another stellar example for the younger generation to emulate gone from the scene. What ever will we do.......:silly:

(WTFC,AW)

Not to worry, he will no doubt, be replaced by some other cellar star like Ultra-Revulsion, or some similar example. :clap: Now please excuse me whil I hunt up my air-sick bag. :winkiss:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels