Flying in boots

corsair

At work, I limit myself to low-heeled boots that have a riding-boot look, 1 to 1.5 inch heel. (Very conservative environment, and I’m now getting into management.) When I travel, I like to push the envelope just a bit. I have a nice pair of Naturalizer boots with a 1.75 inch heel that I usually wear, or some smooth leather boots with a similar heel. Very sleek and elegant looking, but not with a tapered or spiked heel that is very obviously female. Unlike some of our gang, I’m not trying to make an overt statement or be conspicuous. I recently went on a flight and used an automatic luggage delivery service that was available, so all I had with me was my carry-on backpack with reading material and such. I wore the boots in the photo. The only other shoes I had with me were sneakers, and they were in the checked baggage, so the heels were it. I realize that a lot of you wear higher heels for street-heeling, but these are as much as I need to be pushing it. I went through all the gate check crap like anyone else, pulling off my knee-high boots and putting them in the bucket with my phone and keys. In a dozen different times through an airport, I’ve only had two comments, both from the TSA people. In the first instance, the TSA lady rearranged my stuff for better viewing by the x-ray machine. When she saw me looking, her only comment was, “I’m just rearranging your boots here”, but it was with a pleasant smile, as if to say, “Nice boots”. The other time was when I was selected for the full “gate-rape” I’m standing there in socks getting wanded while a female agent is pawing through my carry-on items. She holds up what are obviously women’s boots (even with the low heel) and asked if they are mine. I nodded, and I could see her mouth to her coworker, “These are women’s boots.” But not a further word, or anything rude to me. Anyway, once they were done searching, I zipped myself back into my boots and went on my way. However, I wanted some slightly higher heels for street-heeling. I had occasion to stop at a discount outlet mall for the first time in ages, and looked into the “Shoe Warehouse” type store that is in there. Usually it makes for fun looking, but rarely is there anything in size 12, and most of the merchandise is still way to pricey. But this time, there were two pairs of Naturalizer boots in size 12, and just $45! I was already wearing a pair of boots, so right there in the aisle, I took off the boots I was wearing and tried on the new ones. They fit! So I made my purchase and left a happy guy. Those are the boots in the photo. BTW, I had women customers around me, and no one looked or said anything. I have a pair of jeans that were mislabeled and the inseam is about 2 inches longer than what I normally purchase. Cuffing them up enough looks goofy and they stayed in my closet, but then I realized that they were perfect for stealth heeling. So for my latest trip, I wore those jeans and these boots. I went to a running event where they had a big forum and such at the race package pickup. I was planning on wearing my new boots to travel and changing into shorts and sneakers at my destination. However, my luggage delivery was delayed, so I had to go to the show in my boots and jeans. So what this whole essay is leading up to is this: I spent about ten hours in these boots, and that included a lot of walking around. And while the jeans might cover most of the heel when I’m standing up, once I sit down, the heel is obvious. Again, no one said a word or even batted an eye, even when I met with a group of people who I know online. And then this weekend, I left a sporting event, changed into my boots ,and decided to check out a local live/work/shop/play community to walk around and see what was there. This time I was in the black jeans in the photo, and they are normal length, so my heels were out there for all to see. Again, no comments. I think I saw one guy who gave a long look as he walked by with his wife, but that was it. So for those who have been bashful about street heeling, go do it. Be discreet in choosing locations and heel heights; no sense in having it cost you your job. But for the most part, people either don’t notice, notice and don’t care, or notice and still won’t say anything.

post-1747-133522879612_thumb.jpg

I have been "Called" on the heels in the briefcase deal "Is this your bag" on occasion... but never anything rude.. and these are the 5" stilettos in my avatar. I actually have better luck when wearing the heels through security - they go in a separate container than the briefcase - so no one pays them any mind, 'cept for the occasional look from the person behond me in the security line..

corsair, just looking at the photo reminded me of a pair of boots that I had back in the 70s. It had a same shape heel, slightly higher, but were "Men's" at the time. Looking at them (my eyes) wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. Certainly not like the 4" stiletto boots that I was wearing yesterday. I wouldn't even give those boots a second thought as far as drawing unwanted attention.

It's all about the heel!

Corsair I recently went through security at Gatwick Airport in boots with a heel similar to yours and I was not asked to remove them. A young lady in 4 inch heels had to remove hers. Perhaps, in Europe, men's heels up to 2 inches are more usual than in the colonies!!

Corsair: Very nice boots, these days I am tempeted to buy something like those boots for clubing and going to bars in a normal basis, they are very discrete, but after I am in the shoe store and ready to buy i think the following wich make sense. If i were to wear women shoes in the open, then what the heck go for it and well, becasue the looks and the reactions will be the same, doesnt matter if they are stilletos or 2inch thin block heel boots, they are for most people women shoes period. If I have the guts to wear those boots in the open during the day and even in the airport where is where everybody notices the shoes the most. then go for it push the envelope well to the limit, actually there is no limit becasue nobody is going to fine you becasue you are wearing a higher heel and feeling cool walking with those shoes. After i felt this way i got some pairs of my regular men favorite shoes, which i use in a dailly basis, i increased the heel to 2inch and over, and it still look as aman shoe with a thick heel period, even when i give them to shine, the guy doesnt react and looks like the heel is much more confy, I came to the conclusion that even if I raised the heel to 3inches, the shoe will look weird, plus the base of the shoe is not shped to that curve under the arc of the foot, and it may cause a bone problem, but nobody will think "this guy is wearing women shoes" is more like " this shoe is weird and it may be the last fashion on shoes today" where is a very accepted opinion for me at this moment. I suggest you to go for it turn all your men shoes into a 2inch heel in Height respecting the width and the length of the heel in your mens shoe. normally 3x3 inch If you notice male shoes have a width of 3x3 inches both ways and something lower in the direction of the lenght of the shoe is most liketly to be women's shoes. For Women's shoes it is 2x2, or 2.5x2, (lenght in direction of the shoe x width of the heel) Nice story by the way thanks for sharing, when I travel i take most of the time a carry on small luggage, and i travel with 2 pairs of high heel shoes, most of the time high thigh boots, with 5 inch stilleto heel, and when they pass them in the x rays no body cares, if i am traveling with coleagues then I attach a tag or a price or something showing they are new and if i have to open my suitcase in front of someone that it will make me feel not ok, then i can say "hey check this out!! that is a gift for a gf that always treat me well", then better to be a kinky player than having a gossip at work. but it never happened, since when the security check is done is always private and respectful. Remember Plan B has to be prepared all the time.

V. Morpho

Perhaps, in Europe, men's heels up to 2 inches are more usual than in the colonies!!

I've never had to remove my shoes flying overseas. Only in America.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Corsair

I recently went through security at Gatwick Airport in boots with a heel similar to yours and I was not asked to remove them. A young lady in 4 inch heels had to remove hers. Perhaps, in Europe, men's heels up to 2 inches are more usual than in the colonies!!

i don't think thats what it is. se here in denmark they almost never ask anyone to take of thier heels no matter heigth. i guess securyti isnt as big deal here as in many other country's i also tried 1 times that there was no one checking every one just walked by without getting thier suitcase or any thing scaned that day you could of taken anything with you without any one finding out. but also that was before 9/11/2001 dont think you ever going to try that any more.

I like flying with boots, they make me more streamlined and I can fly further without my arms getting tired.

HE~HE~HE, GOOD ONE OYT!!!!!! Sliped it in right by us, but of course there's always that Memorable Old Standard (not so good anymore since 9/11) of when eyeing a Male passenger you wave and say HI JACK!! 8-D

Boots Rock!!!!

I like flying with boots, they make me more streamlined and I can fly further without my arms getting tired.

Whey you're up there flapping away, be sure to remain outside of the flight paths of any approaching airliner. Just think what your boots would do if you were ingested into the intake of one of the engines.......;-) Boots blowing out of the exhaust might be painful.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Since this thread has gone a little afar from topic... Here are some flying boot images I made at least 10 years ago. © 2009 Tighbootguy. The following photograph appearing on this site is the property of Thighbootguy. It is protected by U.S. Copyright Laws, and is not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way without the written permission of Thighbootguy. Copyright 2009 Thighbootguy. All Rights Reserved.

post-928-133522880058_thumb.jpg

post-928-133522880059_thumb.jpg

post-928-133522880061_thumb.jpg

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

© 2009 Tighbootguy. The following photograph appearing on this site is the property of Thighbootguy. It is protected by U.S. Copyright Laws, and is not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way without the written permission of Thighbootguy. Copyright 2009 Thighbootguy. All Rights Reserved.

lol ;-)

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Hi this is my first time posting on this site. I recently returned from a flight to Calgary, Canada from Ottawa and chose to where my new winter boots with a 3 inch chunky heel. They are knee high and was asked to take them of going through security. The lady took them from me and put them in the bin. On the other side she came up to me and asked where I got them as she was impressed with their practicality. I told I bought them from Sears and gave her the make of my boots. She never mentioned anything about why I as a man would wear high heel bots other than the fact she thought they were very 'practical'. On my return I wore a new pair of ankle boots with a 31/2 inch heel and just sailed through security. The big difference was the lack of a large zipper. I wear my new boots everytime I go out and recently bought some 3 inch loafers for the spring. I am now very used to always having at least a three inch heel.

• 10 months later...

I'm doing some more traveling lately, and doing so in style. The flt1 photo is a photo I took during my flight. I put these boots on at home and wore them the whole way. No comments from anyone. With the big block heel they are comfortable for long hikes through airport terminals. The jeans I was wearing come down to about the top of the heel when I'm standing, so this wasn't stealth heeling with extra long pants. The other two photos are of some new boots I aquired last night. I finished dinner and headed over to a small mall that has a "show warehouse" type store where they have rows and rows of shelves with the boxes of shoes in them. I wasn't expecting to find anything, but lo and behold there is a pair of size 12M boots. Not much of a heel, and manmade materials, but for $24 they looked like a bargain, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they fit (I usually wear 12W). I wore them to dinner and shopping tonight (under my jeans) and they did pretty well. Most importantly, they kept my feet warm and dry, even in foot-deep snow. I've been wanting some higher-heeled boots for street heeling, and I just finished trying 3 different pairs of boots from Zappos. Alas, for two of them, they turned out to be wide-calf, not just 12W, and they left such a large gap around my calves that I could have put a deck of cards and a couple of sandwiches in there. I guess the women who order them have enormous calves. Mine are rather muscular, but not like that. The other pair fit my legs perfectly, but just weren't comfortable to stand or walk in. Dang. BTW, Home Shopping Network carries large size shoes, so check out hsn.com if you are looking for larger sizes. Ditto for nordstroms.com There is a pair with 2.5" heels at Zappos that I'm liking, so I'll order them and have them sent to the hotel. If they fit, I'll wear them on the flight home. Thanks to everyone else who posts their photos of street heeling and outfits.

post-1747-133522900902_thumb.jpg

post-1747-133522900912_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13352290092_thumb.jpg

Good for you . I have long had the desire to fly in high heel boots..maybe some day

Hmmmmm! Do you suppose the increased drag of the boots will make your arms tire more quickly?:blinkbigeyes::pulsingheart:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

On the contrary, the boot shafts and heels should have a streamlining effect thus reducing drag. :blinkbigeyes:

More streamlined than bear feet?

I wore my new brown boots on the flight back last Friday. No issues. I wore them out to dinner and a movie Sat night. Still no issues. I then wore them on my flight Monday, and by then I was so used to wearing them that I didn't really think much about them. If anyone noticed them, I didn't notice them noticing, and no one said a word. On the Monday flight, I was in an exit row seat, so my boots were visible to the stewardess who was giving us the exit row lecture. I saw her looking down several times, but I'm not sure if she was looking at my boots, or the very elegant sandals on the young lady sitting next to me. It may have been the latter, as either that stewardess or one of the others stopped to comment on her sandals. In terms of heel height and narrowness of heels, this is probably about as far as I want to go for street heeling. I run into people I know just about anywhere I go (I even bumped into a coworker at the airport, and kept him in front of me), and I'm not in a position where I can push the envelope too much. But I am getting to wear pretty boots and I'm having fun wearing them so casually. So to repeat a familiar refrain, wear your shoes and enjoy it. 99.99% of the people don't care what is on your feet. BTW, I've attached a photo of the boots while I was in my rental car. Corsair

post-1747-133522902281_thumb.jpg

Bubba136 –

The difference between bare feet and bear feet can be significant when determining the drag coefficient.

The drag coefficient Cd is equal to the drag D divided by the quantity: density r times half the velocity V squared times the reference area A.

Cd = D / (A * .5 * r * V^2)

Without the proper wind tunnel test to confirm my suspensions, I think hairy bear feet (with claws) would produce greater drag for a given area than smooth bare feet. I also suspect that feet (either bare or bear) covered by a smooth leather surface would have less drag than the uncovered foot and a heeled boot would hold the foot in a position that was more streamlined than an uncovered foot, thus having the lowest drag.

As a result, your arms wouldn’t get as tired when flying wearing high heeled boots than they would without them.

On the other hand, guys wearing high heels are closer to being in drag than guys not wearing high heels, so it could be argued that flying in high heels has more drag affect than flying in guy shoes, but that drag affect probably wouldn’t effect the effort exerted by your arms.

Sometimes I really do love this forum. :blinkbigeyes:

By the way Corsair, great boots. You should be able to wear them anywhere, anytime.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Bubba136 –

The difference between bare feet and bear feet can be significant when determining the drag coefficient.

The drag coefficient Cd is equal to the drag D divided by the quantity: density r times half the velocity V squared times the reference area A.

Cd = D / (A * .5 * r * V^2)

Without the proper wind tunnel test to confirm my suspensions, I think hairy bear feet (with claws) would produce greater drag for a given area than smooth bare feet. I also suspect that feet (either bare or bear) covered by a smooth leather surface would have less drag than the uncovered foot and a heeled boot would hold the foot in a position that was more streamlined than an uncovered foot, thus having the lowest drag.

As a result, your arms wouldn’t get as tired when flying wearing high heeled boots than they would without them.

On the other hand, guys wearing high heels are closer to being in drag than guys not wearing high heels, so it could be argued that flying in high heels has more drag affect than flying in guy shoes, but that drag affect probably wouldn’t effect the effort exerted by your arms.

Sometimes I really do love this forum. :blinkbigeyes:(:):happy:)

By the way Corsair, great boots. You should be able to wear them anywhere, anytime.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::clap::clap::pulsingheart: