Men in Heels

billyb

Ok Everyone I am sure most of you have seen this picture from the Spanish Marie Claire. If not this is from the October 2007 issue. What are your thoughts on how these guys look, to me as a man who would like to incorporate heels in to regular male attire this is a good look at we should strive for in social acceptance. Now this is not meant to dissuade all who are trying to blaze new trails by adding skirts and dress’s into the men’s wardrobe keep on moving forward, but for a lot of us if we got acceptance to this point it would be great. Everyone please tell us what you think and if you don’t like the look what would you change. Ladies your input is wanted as you have been matching your heels with your outfits all your life and know the rules, (this is not too say that men can’t bend the rules a little). If the look is not what you would do then what changes would you suggest to make the look correct and please no comments like lose the heels LOL.

post-10394-133522878688_thumb.jpg

Johnie and Radiodave I agree I don't like the pink shoes and it kind of throws the hole picture off from being serious look at men in heels. Also the red pumps are a little out there too but not as bad as the pink pumps.

This is a good likeness of what I have pictured for us as men in heels. The opportunity of wearing coordinated outfits with the colors we desire to adorn with, like the women have for their sellections. Pink! We certainly have been sold the idea that it is an unmanly color. Gold is another one that has been tabooed for male wearing. Men have been stuck far too long with the dull blacks, grays, browns, tans, and/or pewters that we sometimes lack the vision to wear more colorful attire in order to stay with in the man-made boundry of sociable appearance.

I can't really think of any scenario where one would wear pink shoes in any case. They might look cute on a 4 year old but on anybody else, male or female, Yuk! I also think that pumps look strange on men too especially if he hasn't shaved his feet but a nice pair of stiletto boots is another story entirely.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I really do like the whole look with the pumps or whatever heels you choose with the suit, just not in pink or red, or yellow, or orange. Not trying to limit color for men. This is just my opinion of what a man in heels should wear to be socially excepted. Tans, browns, black of course, and any other colors that don't stand out like florescence. Even some patent colors like dark blue, blk, brown to name a few.

real men wear heels

Definitely leave the pinks out. Deep colours need to compliment the cloth, red with a light grey may not work too well yet a deep blue would match better (think blue suede shoes). However much we love the vamp styles I think in reality the shoe boot design would be accepted easier into the mainstream market. Certainly in the blacks and browns far before colours appear, that is if mainstream fashion does not move on/drop heels prior to that wonderful time. Al

I don't believe it is "unusual" for most of us proffering comments about how the guys look wearing heels with their male clothing to tend toward the darker colors and away from the lighter colors. Is it that we think the "pinks" are more closely associated with femining gender? or that it's just that the darker colors "suite" male gender better? Isn't that making the same distinction as to what is male and what is female based upon the same social norms on which society already identifies the sexes? these are male items of dress and these, over here, are female items of clothing. ????? Just wondering ;-) ??? (male wearing darker color heels = less eye catching, easier to disguise or conceal. cover ? Color looks more "manly"? --- male wearing white, red, pink and lighter colors = more eye catching, looks better on women, harder to disguise, conceal or cover? and more apt to draw unfavorable reaction and un-approving glances and comments??? )

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

All I am suggesting is that we, as male heelers, are not totally excepted by society and like anything else, this is a slow process and I think should be a little discrete and try not to stick out like a sore thumb until society, if ever, starts looking at us as (normal) if you will. Then we can go on to more flamboyant colors.

real men wear heels

I don't think there is anything wrong with lighter colors. The important thing is that the whole fits together. That your shoes are not crying for attention in the whole. That the first look of anybody else goes to the whole you, not to a little part. If that is the case you are special maybe, but that is all. It can get respect if you do it well. But if you have one item of clothing that is nonconforming and forcing attention on it like red stiletto's in an otherwise drab colored outfit, people may think you are strange (or worse). And have bad taste. Of course that is my 2 cents only..... Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Exactly. The outfits don't work well together, and they're going out of their way to show off the heels. Women in a pants suit wouldn't be caught dead in that combination. The same guys with black boots, perhaps tan with the tan outfit, even basic black pumps with trouser legs the appropriate length, that's the sort of look that might actually be acceptable. Subtle elegance. In a guy's outfit, the trousers would hang low as they do normally. Sort of like the one guy towards the back in the dark suit. You know, the 'rules' regarding outfits weren't arrived at arbitrarily. For the most part, they make sense and result in an aesthetically pleasing presentation. Just my opinion, but men don't look good in pink. I didn't care for it even with the T-Mobile cycling team. I willingly concede that this is probably personal taste on my part.

Pink court shoes, eh? The main thing is they compliment the whole outfit. I'd have no problem wearing pink stilettos to a fetish club / event, but couldn't even begin to think I'd totter around in the vanilla world in a pair. That's not to say a guy shouldn't, but he should expect a whole lot of attention and obviously not necessarily positive. Has anyone worn pink stilettos out? Maybe someone would like to take a survey on the subject while clearly wearing them? Now there's a blast for Camden Town!!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Why the push for guys wearing obviously feminine heels? When the time is right for society to accept men in heels, the fashion designers will get a clue and simply have men wearing heels in ways that look perfectly naturaly, without clashing wildly with the wardrobe.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Why the push for guys wearing obviously feminine heels?

When the time is right for society to accept men in heels, the fashion designers will get a clue and simply have men wearing heels in ways that look perfectly naturaly, without clashing wildly with the wardrobe.

"When the time is right"? I disagree. It depends only upon us; no social changes result from sitting back and doing nothing. Remember that there were people responsible for every event in history; no matter if it was any scientific development, or the Civil War, or women's liberation, or anything else. It's us who form the society, and can take the responsibility to change it.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Hi all, I agree with the comments re the colour. It needs to be coordinated more with the suits etc. Pink with those greys and earthy tones does not seem to work well. It needs some pink elsewhere in the outfit. I don't see why guys can't wear "girlier" or more feminine heels, I see no difference between a 2inch black chunky heeled pump and a five inch pink stiletto slingback. Most of societies perception is that they are female attire, these two shoes are equally feminine in my mind and I will wear either. I have found over time wearing heels that people look at you no matter what. It doesn't matter whether you are a guy or a girl - peoples heads will turn if you wear high heels. If you hide them under trousers they will still be noticed, the sound carries a long way, your walk gives things away. They are empowering because they are attention grabbers. The only thing is the attention for men and women is different and I believe the men wearing heels need to be very careful to not look trashy as this image is (in my mind) not helpful to men street heeling. Confidence is everything, your posture and how you interact with others - and most importantly the ability to walk in the selected footwear with skill/ style. Of well - that's my rant and rave..... Coordinated looks etc.. can be accepted and in the case of red shoes - I reckon they're great fun - red with Navy blue and grey suits goes really well. Add a little bit of red to your outfit elsewhere and hey-presto its looking hot. see ya. Heel-Lover

Interesting point : If you are going to wear high heeled shoes as a man, and this gets noticed, then it is not going to matter how high the heels are. I find that I like really high shoes, higher than most other people, and it helps if the public marvel at your skill in walking in them. When I get comments in the street it is mostly women that say " I couldn't walk in those !" Sometimes they come up from behind and start to speak as they overtake me...I don't hurry in heels...It is all about enjoyment. M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

Hi Mike, you're onto it. Height etc is irrelevant if you're going to wear a heel in terms of acceptance (in my opinion anyway) A high heel is a high heel regardless. Might as well have fun and play - as women can do - choose the shoes to suit your mood... and have fun doing it as long as it is done with some style and class and is not tacky. You're right about the comments and feedback you get. It is mostly positive and the general comment is usually a compliment, and is mostly from women. Most guys just don't know what to say in the first instance. Cheers Heel-Lover

Why the push for guys wearing obviously feminine heels?

When the time is right for society to accept men in heels, the fashion designers will get a clue and simply have men wearing heels in ways that look perfectly naturaly, without clashing wildly with the wardrobe.

I agree. Until I start seeing other guys out in heels, I'm sticking to my black or brown heels and boot cut jeans. It gets peoples attention but not to the point where I get harassed as if I probably would with red heels and straight leg blue jeans.

real men wear heels

We have examples of what we can wear from the line of menswear that women choose from. They have adapted from the men's styling to appear more manly. So why can't we do the same from our point of view in heels. You might even find that perfect style for wearing pink, gold, fushia, silver, yellow, and etc. stiletto heels, for those that are comfortable enough with their manhood. I know I'm laying it on a bit, but why are we deciding for others what they should wear. Like I have said, if you are going to choose my outfit, then I get to choose yours.

We have examples of what we can wear from the line of menswear that women choose from. They have adapted from the men's styling to appear more manly. So why can't we do the same from our point of view in heels. You might even find that perfect style for wearing pink, gold, fushia, silver, yellow, and etc. stiletto heels, for those that are comfortable enough with their manhood. I know I'm laying it on a bit, but why are we deciding for others what they should wear. Like I have said, if you are going to choose my outfit, then I get to choose yours.

Couldn't agree with you more Histiletto. My problem is , I just don't have enough friends that I hang out with that wear heels or are even willing to give it a try. We are far and few in between and that makes it just a little tough. if you get my drift.

real men wear heels

It's us who form the society, and can take the responsibility to change it.

Well, sure. But advancing more feminine, or less feminine (either way) isn't what helps. Wearing what you like to wear and feel good and comfortable wearing will.

I see no difference between a 2inch black chunky heeled pump and a five inch pink stiletto slingback.

Have you tried revising your opinion in front of a mirror? They look very different to me.

Most of societies perception is that they are female attire, these two shoes are equally feminine in my mind and I will wear either.

As above, it's what you like and enjoy and are comfortable wearing that makes the difference.

I am glad you are wearing what you want. ;-)

I have found over time wearing heels that people look at you no matter what.

I have found that with some styles, it's nothing. With others, they get lots of glances.

Coordinated looks etc.. can be accepted...

Always, and they're the ones that garner the least looks.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

We've got to change our thinking and stop putting on a type of fashion show and wear what we want. Of course we have to mind the rules of coordinating our attire, so that it doesn't look less than what we want to portray, or be so gawdy that the sight would be repulsive if it was worn by a woman. Women have already blazed the fashion trail for many years and sometimes they had to overcome obsticles that were social taboos. We should expect nothing less in our struggles to wear heels. Right now, as a group, we sparsely dot the planet, but there are so many more male heelers, who are living secret lives and haven't found the way or the confidence to break out of their shelled existence for whatever reason. Even many of us so-called open heelers are still a bit sqeamish or fearful of some possibilities, but we know nothing will change unless the windows are opened and the bridges are crossed. We have debated the gender placed on the high heel types when it is a social standard that all high heels, with some exceptions, are considered women's wear (feminine) in this present time. So whether you wear the chunky block heeled boots, the slim stiletto pumps, or anything in between, the social line is known. As men in high heels, we are venturing into women's footwear with the knowledge that this man-made standard doesn't reflect the true feelings of all men and that these rules are arbitrary and can be changed. So, as men in heels, we are reaching out and showing the world that we want to enjoy the same freedom of choice as women have achieved in their fashion selections. Hopefully, women will have more compassion on us than men have shown for women's causes and concerns. After all, we are all human and more alike than we are led by society to believe.

The colors are a bit much for me too, but to each his or her own. Does anyone know what the article was about or why they were posing in heels?

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

To me the second and thrid guys cloths do match well with the shoe and they could work in a professional envrionment and not be a distraction, the only thing is the paints might could be a little longer. The first guy I think outfit looks ok for clubbing or a night out, and the last guy I like the style of shoe just not the pink if the paints were longer and the shoe a better match maybe a dark color then he would look alright. Ladies lets get some input from you please.