Hoop earrings on men?

radiodave

I'm curious, I don't have pierced ears myself (no plans to either), but I've always like hoop earrings, especially the larger ones, on women. That got me thinking, are there guys who wear hoop earrings as guys, other than the fictional Mr. Clean?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? I think they would be fine on a guy. I have seen men sporting thick hoops and never thought anything of it. I guess the Mr. Clean thing would only apply if the guy is bald... :thumbsup:

Style is built from the ground up!

Radiodave, it seems like you are ready to take the big plunge into haute fashion. So I will confess that I experienced much the same curiosity when I was about your age. At that time I had just mustered out of the Army and some of the old-timers around here will recall that collar-lenght hair for guys was all the rage back then. Well one day I decided to get pierced and so I had a cute pair of earrings put in. My rationale was that since no one could see my ears anyway (yes, I actually had some thick curly hair back then), why not? I didn't want hoops, as I thought that was a little too much, but I did have the tiny studs put in, which I wore until my GF discovered them and made me take them out. Nevertheless, by that time my ears were permanently pierced and so I have worn various styles of earrings since then. I do have some 1" CBR's in 10ga. which I can put in, but most of my friends and family seem to prefer me without earrings, so I don't wear them these days.:welcome: If you are really curious, then go to a professional piercer and get your ears pierced and put some hoops in. Your family & friends will either love it or hate it. If they love it then you did the right thing. If they hate it then take the earrings out and let your ears close up and forget about it. But if you decide to leave the earrings in, you'll need about 6 - 8 weeks to heal and then you will be permanently pierced with tiny little holes in your ears in which you can put earrings at any time later on, if you like.:thumbsup:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I tried earrings for a while and liked the look but my increasing lack of hair makes the look an acquired taste so I’ve backed off and rarely wear them now. I love the look of hoops but as previously noted they are generally for pierced ears. Lacking the required holes in my ears, I tried something else. Using a pair of small needle nose pliers, I bent the pins on the earrings into a“C” shape that landed flat on my earlobe. The pair I had had a spring clip with a large hole in it that is designed to close over the pin rather than a separate lock that slipped over the pin. Anyway, the pressure of the spring clip was enough to hold the loop firmly (but comfortably) on my ear. I may have to get them out and try them again.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I have both lobes pierced, just once in each! I wear 'hoops', ranging from 25mm dia to about 50mm dia. However, late last year my wife bought me some diamond studs and I've been wearing those quite a bit!

I myself have my ears pierced twice in each ear. I love hoops as well. Currently my biggest ones that I wear publicly are 1 inch and I have no problems in doing so. In private I wear bigger sizes and I love it. I usually wear 2 inches or larger. I am not brave enough for the larger sizes in public just yet. Maybe someday.

id like to try wearing some but just not ready to get holes in my ears. if they made some clip on ear hoops id buy some.

They do! I've seen 'em out there, and for those who don't want to punch holes in their ears, I think it's a great way to get the look.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Same here, I might try Thighbootguy's idea of modifying a pair to see if they could clip on to get some idea of look and feel. Where I work, I don't think having to wear studs for 6 weeks to keep the holes open would go over very well. While there's no official dress code spelled out, I think that would certainly get noticed in a big way. That and I don't think it would be worthwhile to get pierced just to try them once and let them close up.

For those of you who don't want holes in ears, you can get ones that screw rather than clip on (think of a vice) (No - one used for woodwork!!). These can be adjusted more that ordinary clips, othercoming the pain clips can cause. By the way, if its pain thats stopping you getting your ears pierced, clip-ons are much more painful in the long run!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hoop earrings on men? Sure, why not. I had my ears pierced both sides. I started out with one pierced on left ear, but later on had the right ear pierced. Now I have 6 pierced holes in each ear, from the lobe up the midway. This way I can wear all 6 pairs at once or one pair in either holes. A lot of days I don't wear them. The largest hoop was 1 1/2 inch.

• 4 weeks later...

My largest hoops are 7" but I only wear them in girl mode! lol

Wow, you go Dr. Shoe! You got some hula hoops in there! I hope they're pretty light or they might stretch your holes a bit. Any pics of these monsters perchance?

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

http://www.cliptomania.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=21&idproduct=82

Clip on hoop earrings

I had a couple of pairs of these in 2" diameter before I had my ears pierced.

After a while, the springs weaken a bit; but for $9.95 a pair plus postage its not painful on the pocket.

I suspect they don't make them in larger diameters due to mechanical difficulties and the amount of pressure/pain you can stand on your earlobes; more of which would have to be endured to combat the effect of gravity and of catching them in hair or body parts on heavier and "bulkier" hoops.

All 3 sizes available look exactly like pierced ones from normal distances and feel and hang in similar fashion. I don't recommend any energetic dancing, however, as the grip is just enough to hold in normal use without being painful.

If you want to try the look (these are girl hoops not boy hoops in style) I recommend trying a pair; at least until you can get piercings which will, after a couple of months of careful maintenance, be permanent and, to all intents and purposes, invisible, when not in use.

A tip for those who would like piercings but who need to be in stealth mode in normal life...

There are labrets available, designed for lip and ear piercings, which are made of a tough, clear, hard wearing, surgical grade plastic (search e-bay for bioflex labret) and which are, in your ears, almost invisible except at very close range; especially when the ball or jewel endcaps which are usually fitted in the outer end are replaced with small bioflex ends made of the same material.

The ones I used were 1.2mm in diameter and just long enough to pass through the earlobe.

I kept mine in for 3 months until the holes healed and nobody noticed.

pab200

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." Gerry Spence

I just got both lobes pierced. Now wearing one small "hoop" on each ear and I love them.

No big deal and no reactions from anyone. See picture below.

Don't know if one day I will wear larger hoops...I just started...Time will tell.

And BTW, I got them from Aldo on the men's side...

post-14338-133522881888_thumb.jpg

I've had both lobes pierced since 1988 and have been wearing a hoop earring in each ear since then. For the past few years, I've been wearing the style in the attachment. I've never regretted wearing earrings from day one. Since I like to keep a neat appearance, they blend in with the over all picture I present of myself.

post-9187-133522882298_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, curiosity finally got the better of me. I found myself walking past the jewelry section of Wal Mart, and found a cheap pair of hoops with a spring clip attachment. No, I haven't pierced, but they clip on reasonably well. I actually kind of like them myself, though they might be a little big on me.

post-2079-133522883609_thumb.jpg

...I actually kind of like them myself, though they might be a little big on me.

Nice look radiodave :-) Will you wear them outside ?

...I like the big ones myself but have yet to muster up the courage to wear them out of the house yet.

Same with me...I just started to wear earings and small hoops but I would not have the

courage to wear bigger hoops (larger than ½") outside the house. Maybe one day ... :winkiss:

I think they look great Dave! I like the big ones myself but have yet to muster up the courage to wear them out of the house yet.

Thanks! Don't think I'll wear them out myself anytime soon. They don't feel all that secure anyway, since I'm not pierced.

Nice look radiodave :-) Will you wear them outside ?

Same with me...I just started to wear earings and small hoops but I would not have the

courage to wear bigger hoops (larger than ½") outside the house. Maybe one day ... :winkiss:

Well, I did try closing one of my toe rings slightly to see how a small hoop would look, and it looked OK. I could see myself wearing some smaller hoops outside, but I'd like to find some that clip first. Guess I could always go ask the folks at Claire's to see if they have anything like that.