Thoughts on wearing heels to bed and being permanently heeled...

Stilettoscot

Just some observations on my thoughts about people wearing heels to bed to become permanently heeled. First, when I do wear my heels to bed (even my ultras), my feet are not locked into position or even in much of a different angle as when I sleep without them. When I sleep without them, my toes are always pointed and feet flat anyways (always have been), especially when I sleep on my stomach. So, to me, shoes aren't really stretching my feet any while in bed. Second, I always kick them off during the night anyways! LOL I am just wondering how wearing heels to bed would make one become permanent when, to me, they don't hold the feet in any more of an angle (even my ultra's) then I always sleep in... Thoughts?

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

I tend to agree with you, StilletoScot, about wearing heels to bed. When I wear any kind of pumps, my feet are basically in the same position as I would sleep without them on. However, if I decide to wear my 6" ankle boots to bed, now my feet are held in a position that would over time contribute to being permanently heeled. My ballet boots would have the same effect. So, I guess it really depends on what you are wearing to bed.

Twice I wore 4" pumps to bed (kept them on the entire night), and the next morning, it was even easier to wear heels during the day then when I first put them on previously. These pumps are a bit on the large size, so there was never ever foot pain during the night, just the stretching of the foot due to the heel, exactly what I was looking for.

Most of the time I slept on my back, though I don't remember not being able to lay on my side or turn over. I did take some heavier-plastic supermarket-type plastic bags, wrap them around my shoes, and then secure them around my ankle with a rubberband. Certainly not attractive (:thumbsup: ), but effective at making sure the heels didn't get snagged in the sheets. In order to get stretch, you need to keep the heels parallel to your legs. Even in 7" heels, you could bend your foot forward (so it's perpendicular to your leg), and you'd get no stretch at all (it would be like you'll wearing flats).

I see. Now, when I sleep on my stomach (heels worn or no), my feet stay pretty much verticle all night with no stretch. I'm thinking maybe wearing boots of some sort would stop any kind of foot movement back to normal??

... my feet stay pretty much verticle all night with no stretch...

In that position (face down), your toes should be touching the bed, as would your knees. Any covers you have on (especially if heavy and tucked in at the bottom of the bed) should be pushing down on your heel, effectively forcing your foot to stretch the some degree. This combined with wearing heels, I'm not sure how you can't be getting stretched.

Are you saying that your feet don't actually bend (approaching a vertical position, a la ballet dancer), or that come the morning, you don't think you've benefitted from sleeping in your heels?

How often do you wear heels, and what height? Any combination of "often" and "high" might already be providing enough stretch for you. If you're already wearing high heels regularly, I have to think that the best thing for providing stretch. I'm thinking that sleeping is heels is more for people that can't spend that much time walking in heels.

Thanks for your insights. My feet bend past verticle without stretching, so when laying on my stomach, my feet at verticle isn't reaching the stretch point and the next morning they feel the same as they have since I can remember. I do and have been (for the last 2 months) walking in very high heels everyday to practice (6 - 7+") for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour (depending on how strong my ankles feel that day and heel height), and doing some passive stretching. Think my ankles are too flexible now to benefit from regular sleep type heeling??

...Think my ankles are too flexible now to benefit from regular sleep type heeling??

My opinion would be yes. I'm no where near that flexible; maybe others closer to your level might comment if you get to a point where there's seemingly little to no further improvement.

I think walking it 6"+ heels is pretty impressive. Are you able to keep your knees straight (not bent)? How long are your steps (more than the length of a shoe)? If so, you might have hit the flexibility limits you need to be able to walk in heels this high, and now you need to just build up the endurance (probably ankle strength, plus balance) to be able to walk in them longer.

Thanks! In 6" heels, my knees are totally straight (even hyperextended a bit still), with the 7+"ers, they are still slightly bent (but not bad). In the 6"ers I can walk with a 2+' gait, almost normal. 7+"ers, it takes anywhere from 13-16 steps to get across my room, so 18-20" spread I'd guess. I'll be trying to take a limited video from my camera and post asap of my walking in the 7+"ers asap.

Well, a few times I have slept in the heels - sometime waking in the middl of the night to remove them... As I am tall, my feet hnd over the bed, and sleeping on my stomach places my legs and feet is position similar to standing. I have a pair of 7" pumps that just bend my toes to a very tight angle - where my typical 5 inch heels are more comfortable. I have never mastered waliking in the 76 inch heels, as my knees have a small bend in them to retain a balance. The 5''s are never a problem - though my comfortable stride in them reduces to about 2 feet as mentioned.

Hy, I don't see the problem wearing heels in bed. I do it for ohh allmost 30 years in 7" heels (standard) and sometimes ballet. I can"t image not wearing heels while asleep. And I don't 'lose' my shoes course allways wearing my oxfords or boots. And I don't damage my sheets for learing how to sleep in heels. Even in silk sheets. You need advise?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all!

This ist my first reply, i hope it will work.

I am wearing heels (12-14cm) always at home, my gf supports me. Most time i sleep in heels, boots that can not be removed easily during the night. In order to get my feet adjusted to higher heels i found out a new method. Just see the pic. I can sleep in this position for about 2 to 3 hours before i ll free my feet, but i will keep the boots on.

My knees are still bend while walking with this 16 cm heels but it will get better every day(night).

Regards

Posted Image

The main thing I like to do is to do chores around the house when no one is home. It is those simple actions for me that just make it more natural overall. That way you don't just get good at walking forward, but bending over, precariously stepping over dirty clothes, and many other actions also.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

This ist my first reply, i hope it will work.

I am wearing heels (12-14cm) always at home, my gf supports me. Most time i sleep in heels, boots that can not be removed easily during the night. In order to get my feet adjusted to higher heels i found out a new method. Just see the pic. I can sleep in this position for about 2 to 3 hours before i ll free my feet, but i will keep the boots on.

My knees are still bend while walking with this 16 cm heels but it will get better every day(night).

Regards

Posted Image

I just received the same boots today (but in non-shiny black) and I can't wait to sleep in them as they lock the ankle even when not standing.

I knew I couldnt master walking in them and I must admit I bought them to stretch while sleeping. And because they are beautiful ;-) And because one day I'll master walking in them :w00t2:

I would have thought that some form of stiff boot would be needed to hold your ankle in the right position. I have seen foot stretching devices that look like an instrument of torture which are meant to increase ankle flexibility, but I don't think you could sleep in them. See here: http://www.heikes-heels.de/english/trainer/training01.htm for an example.

Personally I'm not in favour of permanent heels, but if it's your thing go for it.

Chris

• 1 year later...