High Heels on stilts

lampwort

Has anyone tried to stiltwalk in high heels? I have and all I can say is that it is a huge "WOW" factor. I used my 20 inch aluminium peg stilts with aluminium footplate. I found it impossible to secure stilettoes to the footplate so that they would not move under stress. So I used my 5.5" wedges with a 0.5" platform on a thick crepe sole which will take screws through from the bottom of the footplate. The stilt extension that you fasten your leg to is designed for normal length legs so with 5.5" heels, its top is 5.5" below the knee which puts a huge strain on the leg fastenings when going down hill or down steps. A stilt is supposed to be the natural straight extension of your lower leg so the correct place to screw the shoes on is with your ankle just behind the extension pole. When I thought I had everything correct and secure, I stood up and "WOW" there was a huge difference in balance required just to stay vertical. It took me about 20 minutes to find my centre of balance and be happy with the increased height from ground of my centre of gravity. The stilts feel as though they want to slope backwards so that your foot is flat, but if you allow this to happen (as I did at first) then any surface you stilt on other than flat and dry turns into a skating rink and you will fall down. Having found my balance and having found how to keep the stilts vertical, I have had great fun discovering the dangers of going down steep hills and flights of steps. Has anyone else tried this dangerous idea?

Please, and I really do mean please, take some pics of this. I have got to see. I have had a couple of crazy ideas but I think this one has me beat. I did go off a diving board in 6 inch heels twice. Please be carefull. Jen

Hi Lampwort, this is something I used to do many years ago, but wouldn't mind having another go. I used to strap my shoes on, so about a 5" heel was to highest I could wear. I did it with some home made ballets once, but couldn't find a suitable way of attaching them. My home made wooden peg stilts were about 30" high, although I did make higher ones. To me, balance seemed easier in heels than it did in flats

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

Pics, proof, please?

Sorry no pics of heels on stilts but here are two links to a guy who has quad-skated on stilts on roller disco rink for 30 years and has survived

http://stiltwalker.com/Stilt%20Skates001.jpg

http://stiltwalker.com/Stilt%20Skates_cr.jpg

And this guy's comments when I managed to contact him:-

Hi Roy

Thanks for your interest As my Pics show, I used standard quad skate plates and put the stilt in between the boots and plates. I did use LABEDA HUGGER wheels for maximum control. I skated on them for about 30 yrs before my feet grew, and I decided not to buy new skates ( at about $700 to $800 for plates and boots) just to keep doing it at age 60+. I'm 6' 4", 200 lbs, and on the stilt skates, I was 7' 9.5", without the hat

I was able to just get up and skate on them - don't know why, just could. I always wore, and still wear, protective gear. If I had not, I'd not be skating now, due to all the falls I took, and still take today.

I went with standard quads, as InLines were not around then. Most all the stilt skaters I'm aware of, mostly Ice skaters, used leg braces from the skate boot up to the knee - to improve stability and control. I just used S.P.Terri Ice Boots

When I fell off the stilt skates, I would get one foot upright again, then sort of craw up that leg. It's kind of hard to describe, and looked rather wierd. Allways got big laughs and stares

I was able to go forward, backward, some simple spins, jumps, and some foot work on them. Simplified versions of what I do normally

I FloorGarded part time on them, in most of the 21 Rinks I worked in over time. I could mange about 1.5 hrs max time skating on them at a time. 45 mins was my average.

Hell, besides being so tall, they weighed almost 9 lbs apiece

I only went outdoors on special ocassions, like for Parades, in my Uncle Sam outfit. Going on slanted or rough surfaces was quite dangerous, being on indoor flat floors was risky enough

This is not something I would recommend anybody doing, it's difficult to set up properly, dangerous and difficult to do. Very few folks should even try. It's not cheap either, to make the stilts, buy the strong boots, plates and find the proper wheels. You could easiely get it all together for lots of $$$$$$$$$, and then find you could not handle them

In the Pic with the young lady, she is 5' 3" tall

I found Bill's site a short time ago and sent in my Pics, so now I'm on his site too

Harold A. Schreiber, Jr

Please, and I really do mean please, take some pics of this. I have got to see. I have had a couple of crazy ideas but I think this one has me beat. I did go off a diving board in 6 inch heels twice. Please be carefull. Jen DITTO!!!! What the @#$%^&?

real men wear heels

• 2 weeks later...

As wanted by Jen, here is a picture of me on a pair of 2ft high peg stilts. Inside the trainer I am wearing a pair of 6.5" heeled Ellie sandals, stockings and a pair of shiny black stretchy leggings. Hope that you all approve BB

post-1710-133522878153_thumb.jpg

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

• 10 months later...

OK,

so this is indoors, and it is not on my peg stilts. The ceilings are too low for them.

5" heeled thighboots, worn with 2ft high dura stilts.

Yes they are easy to walk around in.

We have to keep Jen happy

BB

Those Dura stilts look good with the large flat foot. How about trying them on the quad-skate plates which I let you have? There should be plenty of room to secure them to the skate-plate