Ohhhhhhh! The weather outside if frightful....

As if you didn't have enough to worry about, I noticed the following article posted on Yahoo this morning.

Joe Bastardi European Blog Joe Bastardi's Europe Column

POSTED: 6:40 a.m. December 19, 2008

The thoughts expressed in this column represent Joe Bastardi's personal speculation. While they are considered in formulating AccuWeather forecasts, the opinions of many other AccuWeather meteorologists are also considered.

This discussion is updated only the on the days that Joe is available. Joe usually updates this discussion at least weekly. Check the date above and come back often!

SEVERE COLD WAVE TO HIT EUROPE

The development of a major blocking high pressure system over the north atlantic and its subsequent backing west is about to throw most of Europe into the coldest winter weather pattern in many a year. In fact, Temps over the next month or so are liable to average 6-10 degrees F below normal over the center part of the continent with the northwest coldest last, but still getting into the games. Intuitive with this is the likelihood of more than normal snow and ice. As the upper block backs west, arctic discharges from the north and east are liable to bring shots of severe cold back into England and with it enhanced snowfall.

While it has been "chilly" so far, what is about to come is the worst in many a winter, perhaps the sign that the warm AMO is reaching its maturity. The US winter has been much like those around 1950 which was the benchmark winter in the pac northwest of the US and was the warning shot that the warm cycle of the 30s 40s and 50s was starting its end game. It should be comforting to people worried that we are pushing our planet over the edge that things that happened before are happening again, though the discomfort caused by cold is a big problem

I wish to point out, with no malice intended, that the two countries who have major scientific organizations that have been pushing the global warming idea, Britain and the UKMET and the US with NOAA have been burned by the cold that has developed here. NOAA had a December forecast for a warm central US for November that they were forced to revise and the UKMET forecast for a rather bland winter for Europe speaks for itself. Its anything but bland, whether it averages out near the average or not, because what is coming has not been seen in years.

Now that could mean that its testimony to how warm it is... it hasnt been seen in years. But the fact it hasnt disappeared completely, the fact it is coming back and catching people off guard (hopefully not you) means there is no rout on, but plenty of doubt. If an enemy is vanquished, it should not be able to launch attacks of this magnitude.

ciao for now ****

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

-

Frigid as my ex.

Jen

LMAO!!!!! :thumbsup::welcome::winkiss: I know that feeling.

A great big 22 degrees this morning at my place 1 hr east of Atlanta, GA. Today's high was only 38 Degrees Monday 12-22-08. I thought I was living in the south where it stays warm and doesn't go below 32.

Though a balmy +14f here, I do happen to look out at some 30" of the white stuff. Count your blessings.

I do!! When the news say's the "S" Word (snow), you can't find a gallion of milk, loaf of bread, jar of peanut butter or a can of soup for 100 miles. The schools and business's close.

The biggest problems we have is the state doesn't have the equipment to fix the roads, and the temps during the day get above freezing and back below freezing at night so we have the black ice and the power lines falling down. Plus dumb southern's who can't drive in the snow and ice.

Well now winter has hit everywhere. We have just enduured a 2 week cold snap with little snow .Temps have been down to minus -38c / -34f in Banff and -30c / -22 where I am just into BC. Normally we have a lot snow by now but have been in cold high pressure, oh yes the wind has not been added to those temps so it has been even colder feeling. For the first time I have been thinking about a warmer place to be rather than here. I work in the ski industry so winter is my thing but this is way to cold..... I heard on the news that for the first since earlier 70's that all of Canada from Victoria to the east coast will have snow for a Christmas, we have been accustomed to green holiday seasons on the west coast. Warming is only happening with hot buttered rums and hot mulled wines right now us here! Have a Great Christmas!! Mtnsofheels

Ahh...Yesterday's weather, at seven-thirty a.m. I fired up the van to a wonderful 3 F. Been below freezing for most of a week here in St. Louis but the kicker for me is I spent two full days in twenty degree weather fixing an air conditioning system! The high yesterday was only 27 F with the low projected low last night of 22 F (check local cross reference for Celsius as I only know Fahrenheit.)

What happened to global warming? Weren't we supposed to be spending sunny winter holidays in Alaska and Antarctica in a few years?:thumbsup:

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Ahh...Yesterday's weather, at seven-thirty a.m. I fired up the van to a wonderful 3 F. Been below freezing for most of a week here in St. Louis but the kicker for me is I spent two full days in twenty degree weather fixing an air conditioning system! The high yesterday was only 27 F with the low projected low last night of 22 F (check local cross reference for Celsius as I only know Fahrenheit.)

What happened to global warming? Weren't we supposed to be spending sunny winter holidays in Alaska and Antarctica in a few years?:thumbsup:

T&H

As weird as it may sound, it is entirely possible for global warming to be fueling the frigid cold we're experiencing (yes, here in Washington it got down to about 14 F last night). :winkiss: The reason being that... - well actually I have no idea.

But the good news is that it's already warming up to freezing, and they're predicting rain for tomorrow. So for you guys that are really snowed-in, grab yer honey and some liquid courage and warm yerselves up as best you can. (If yer big enough to wear heels then you ought be able to figure out what to do.) :welcome:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Having grown up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, amongst other places, I am used to a lot of snow and cold weather. However, since I moved south to Augusta, and now in Charleston, cold weather is not a regularity. It has, however, been colder than usual this year and cold a lot earlier than usual (low of 28F.) Our "winter" usually begins in late January to early February...and usually last to the middle of March before it begins to "green up." And, we do have snow, occasionally. (the last time was in 2000). So with all of the crazy weather in the other parts of the world, around here we are curious to see how much or weather depart from the "usual."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I grew up just outside of D.C. and the weather sure has gotten weirder to me over the years. I really don't remember that much snow though except for January of 1980 then we had really had snow so much it practically shut down everything for as I recall two weeks.

In the time I have been in St. Louis (possibly a precinct of hell as it roasts you alive in the summer and freezes everything in the winter then add the high humidity.) back on track here. There really hasn't been all that much snow over the years. Mostly rain lucky for that though I guess. We got a quarter of an inch of rain today and for Christmas we should see temps in the mid 40's.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

I grew up just outside of D.C. and the weather sure has gotten weirder to me over the years. I really don't remember that much snow though except for January of 1980 then we had really had snow so much it practically shut down everything for as I recall two weeks.

In the time I have been in St. Louis (possibly a precinct of hell as it roasts you alive in the summer and freezes everything in the winter then add the high humidity.) back on track here. There really hasn't been all that much snow over the years. Mostly rain lucky for that though I guess. We got a quarter of an inch of rain today and for Christmas we should see temps in the mid 40's.

T&H

ST. Louis really brings back the memories. My first duty station in the Army was the St. Louis Defense, so I remember it well. One very cold January (about -10 F) our radars were so frozen-up that they couldn't move. But then after they thawed-out the fun really began. At first we couldn't level the radar antennas (altogether necessary for computer calibration) and then we found out that the berms the radars were sitting on were moving around. :welcome: Apparently the berms became water-logged from previous rainstorms and then the cold spell froze them solid, which loosened-up the soil. So after everything thawed-out those berms were doing the "electric slide". I honestly don't know what ever became of that situation. :thumbsup:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Currently 39F here on the uk south coast between Southampton and Portsmouth with a gentle breeze (15mph) clear/hazy sky and the sun just above the horizon. Due to raise to 43F later. Being less than 2 miles from the sea we rarely get snow, every other year a few inches 2 - 4 but only stays a day or two, back inland we have a hill ridge that holds back a lot of snow from the inland winds and the sea air helps keeps the temperature up a degree or two. However the Isle of Wight just off our coast/across the Solent gets extra (our share) I think this "global warming" is more political than the full truth, I beleive that our planet has warm and cold cycles, be it 7, 20 or 40 years or so, similar to sunspot activity. I can accept that there maybe a slight warming but where are the statistics coming from and how are they being used? I don't believe it's just to help conserve fuel either. Even if it is working with me on a basis of "if I can't afford, I don't buy or do". Recycling. I'm the only one in this household that does it. Beyond that, keep warm enjoy the sun and be careful in the snow and ice. Al

Remember what I said about weather extremes around here today's high 61 F tomorrow 64 F and thunderstorms. Ah St. Louis if you don't like the weather wait five minutes and it will change!

T&H

Not frightful in Philly today as we're looking at equalling a record high of 65 for this date. Break out the Bermuda shorts and sunscreen! HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

...I think this "global warming" is more political than the full truth, I beleive that our planet has warm and cold cycles, be it 7, 20 or 40 years or so, similar to sunspot activity. I can accept that there maybe a slight warming but where are the statistics coming from and how are they being used..? Al

Well, maybe I'm just a little too goofed on meds, :winkiss: so I'm sure that the Polar Bears and the Inuits (eskimos) will be delighted to learn that their loss of habitat is just a big political ploy. :thumbsup: Maybe after Obama takes office he'll turn the snow back on. :welcome:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Obama! Ya, him and Billary is going to fix it. OH look honey, we're president again!:thumbsup: Sorry just every time I hear that name it does something to me. Rained and was in the 60's here on Christmas. Has been in the below zeros before that for a couple weeks. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

real men wear heels

Obama! Ya, him and Billary is going to fix it. OH look honey, we're president again!:welcome: Sorry just every time I hear that name it does something to me.

Rained and was in the 60's here on Christmas. Has been in the below zeros before that for a couple weeks. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

You sound like a man after my own heart. Whenever I have to use one of those names I usually end up making a trip to the bathroom. :thumbsup:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

You sound like a man after my own heart. Whenever I have to use one of those names I usually end up making a trip to the bathroom. :thumbsup:

I know exactly what you mean. They're all just too far to the left for me, where is Goldwater when we need him?

T&H

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have had a few days above freezing, does anybody remember the winter of 1962-3 ?. Now that was cold ice on the inside of windows you could chip off. I remember the snow was level with our upstairs windows, we opened the back door and made a tunnel all the way to the bottom of the garden, as kids we loved it. Lived in Stevenage at the time, London overspill town.

life is not a rehearsal

• 2 weeks later...