Initiation

gringo

I’m not the kind of girl who’s ever been much interested in shoes. Clothes, sure, as much as my student budget would allow, but I never really understood friends and classmates who obsessed over shoes. I only own one pair of heels, 1 ½ inch kitten heels from Walmart that I bought to satisfy a requirement for ‘business dress’ when making formal presentations in my MBA class. And I found even that height of heel to be uncomfortable, wobbling into class, and changing as quickly as I could afterwards.

So, if you told me a week ago that I would be in love with a pair of high heels I would have said you were crazy.

For my birthday I had received cash from my two sets of grandparents totalling almost $500. I decided to splurge on a new cold weather coat, a fake-fur trimmed parka with a hood. Very cute. To go with it, I bought a pair of those ugg boots that are so popular on campus again this year. They are the newer style with a furry trim that matches the parka.

My cousin Nikki is three years older than me. We’re so similar in height, weight, and coloring that people often mistake us for sisters. And growing up we were as close as sisters, despite the age difference. Nikki works in marketing for a big financial institution downtown. She’s doing pretty well and has her own condo about a ½ hour subway ride from the university. She also has enough money for a limited but good quality wardrobe. You might think I’d be jealous, but I’m not – I’m hoping to do just as well myself, starting next year when I’ll have graduated.

Since we both moved to the city, Nikki and I try to get together a couple of times a month. That’s what brought me to the lobby of her apartment building last Friday night. We were going out for pizza and drinks at a local pub. I buzzed her apartment.

“Come on up!” her voice came from the tinny speaker. “The door’s unlocked and I’m in the bedroom packing.’

I studied myself with satisfaction in the elevator mirror on the way up. I was wearing a short denim skirt and tights with my new parka and uggs. I thought I looked pretty good!

I let myself into Nikki’s front hall, removed my uggs, and hung my coat in the closet. “What are you packing for?” I asked, entering her bedroom, “another business trip?”

“No” she replied, “I’m actually pretty excited. I’ve been seeing this guy called Jason, and he’s invited me to go along with him and his friends on a ski weekend tomorrow.”

“Oh my God, I didn’t know you could ski.” I said.

“I’m not very good”, she said as she selected a sweater and placed it in the suitcase, “I’ll rent some equipment and probably spend the day on the beginner hill. But Jason and I will be together at the resort tomorrow night. Parties and nightlife are what it’s all about anyway.”

I watched as she grabbed a pair of high heeled ankle boots and placed them in the suitcase. “I haven’t seen those before.” I said, “When did you get them?”

“Last spring, in a clearance sale.” she replied “50% off.”

“They’re nice,” I said, “but are you sure they’re appropriate for a ski resort? Aren’t the sidewalks steep and icy?”

“I know.” she said, “I’ll probably fall on my ass and look like a fool. But what can I do? They’re the only decent boots I have. I can wear my nikes in the car on the way, but I need something nice for going out.”

I knew what I had to do. When a best friend needs help to impress a guy, you have to help. “You could borrow my uggs.” I said, with some misgiving.

Her face brightened. “I didn’t know you had uggs.”

“I just got them.” I said, “They’re in the front hall. I wore them over to show you.”

She rushed to the hall and pulled them on. “Oh they’re cute! And so comfortable too!”

I opened the closet and handed her my parka. “Try this on.”

She gazed in the mirror. She looked totally cute. “Oh my God, Kendra, this outfit is perfect! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!”

“I’ll bring them over in the morning. What time are you leaving?” I said.

“Jason wants me outside and ready to be picked up at 6:15.” she said.

“That’s no good.” I said, “I can’t be up by then.”

“Well, why don’t you leave the stuff here and wear my boots home tonight?” she replied.

“I couldn’t possibly walk in heels that high.” I said.

“Oh pleeease,” she said, “I really need those uggs, and besides they’re only 3 inches high. At least just try them on.”

“Okay, okay.” I sat on the edge of the bed and put my foot into the right boot. A small shiver went through me. It felt like partially melted butter. I zipped it up and pulled on the other one. I had to admit, they felt really good, clinging closely to my feet without being tight. I stood up carefully. I wasn’t used to the position of my feet. “I’m afraid to take a step.” I said, “I might fall over.” I placed one foot in front of the other and slowly crossed the room. I returned to the bed, more confident this time. “They’re easier to walk in than I thought. Much easier than the 1 ½ inch Walmart heels I have.”

“That’s why I buy good quality shoes.” Nikki said, “They provide good support and the leather lining is really comfortable. I’d rather have a few good pairs than a whole lot of cheap ones.”

“Well, I might be able to manage them.” I said.

“Tell you what.” said Nikki, “Wear them to the pub, and if you can’t stand them, we’ll switch back.”

In the elevator on the way down it felt a little unreal. Nikki was in the parka and uggs, looking a little like me on the way up. I was wearing Nikki’s wool peacoat, casual but classy, and the high heel boots made me taller than her, which was the reverse of the usual situation.

In the pub, sitting on a bar stool and casually dangling my heels, I felt pretty sophisticated. And it might have been my imagination, but I think I was getting more attention from the guys than Nikki was.

Saturday morning in my room, I took out Nikki’s boots and had a close look. The most unusual thing about them was a completely red sole. They had a medium thick heel and were made of very soft leather, with a faint new leather smell that was slightly intoxicating. On the inside it said, ”Christian Louboutin, Paris”, so I think they must have been expensive, even on sale.

I had a sudden desire to wear them again, but there was nowhere on campus that they would fit in. I put them on with the peacoat and took the train to a fancy downtown fashion department store. I’d been there once before in my student garb, and had the feeling the staff were looking down their noses at me. This time however, the doorman was all smiles as he welcomed me.

I wandered through the store enjoying the sensation of tallness and feeling of power that the boots provided. I entered the shoe salon and was greeted by a salesgirl. “How are you enjoying your Louboutins?” she said.

“Oh I love them.” I replied.

“This year’s selection has higher heels.” she said, “Would you like to try some on?”

“No thanks” I said, “I’m just looking. I don’t really need new boots right now.”

“Well, if you change your mind, we’re having a special sale for our best customers starting next weekend.”

I thanked her and left, feeling on top of the world.

On Monday morning Nikki called. Things had gone well on the weekend and she was really appreciative for the loan of the uggs. She wanted to make arrangements to return them. I was feeling reluctant to give up the Louboutins, so, impulsively, I decided to stall a bit.

“Oh I’m pretty busy this week.” I said, “I have to prepare for a presentation on Friday.”

“I was hoping you might say that.” said Nikki, “Friday is casual day at our office. Would it be okay if I wore your outfit in that day? It’s so comfortable and cute. I want to show the girls in my department.”

“No problem.” I replied. “It’s nice that I’m the one with something that you like, for a change. Since I’ll still have them, maybe I’ll wear your boots for my presentation, if you don’t mind.”

“Sure.” she said, “Maybe we’ll turn you into a high heel girl after all. Why don’t we get together on Saturday for some shopping – I want to look for a pair of knee high boots.”

“Sounds like fun.” I said, “I know just the place to go.”

Friday was the morning of my presentation in Corporate Strategy class. Nikki and I had not yet swapped back our footwear and I had been looking forward to incorporating her Louboutin boots into the ‘business attire’ I was required to wear for the presentation. I was standing in front of my bedroom mirror wearing a blue pencil skirt, white and blue blouse, dark blue blazer, skin colored hose, and the Louboutin ankle boots with 3 inch heels. I liked the shape my legs took on when wearing heels, and my overall silhouette which was taller and slimmer than my normal image.

I looked damn sexy, I thought, and that was the problem. The ankle boots with skirt would be great for a party, but for business dress, a pair of pumps would be better, and the only ones I had were my 1 ½ inch Walmart shoes, which now seemed impossibly dowdy. Besides, this would probably be my last chance to wear the Louboutins and I was determined to do so. I reluctantly removed the skirt and pulled on my blue dress pants. I then slid my feet back into my boots (oops, I mean Nikki’s boots, got to stop thinking that way). The pants were a little short for the heels, but they hung nicely. And I still had that tall slim silhouette.

I took a few steps back and forth. I had been practising with the boots and was feeling pretty comfortable with them. I loved the support they gave and the feeling of the full leather lining around my feet. I pulled on my (Nikki’s!) wool peacoat, grabbed my presentation material and headed off to class with a confident stride, feeling like a million bucks.

I entered the amphitheatre and took my usual seat. A minute later my friend Angela slid into the seat beside me, partially out of breath. “Kendra, is that you? I was following you across the quadrangle and didn’t even recognize you! And what have you got on your feet? I kept seeing flashes of red when you walked.”

“It’s my day to present.” I said by way of explanation, “and the red flashes are from the bottoms of my new boots.”

In my seated position my pants were pulled up, exposing most of my boots to her view. “OMG sweet! they’re absolutely awesome.” she said, “I’m totally borrowing them sometime.”

“You’re totally NOT.” I retorted with a grin, more than a little flattered.

My presentation went well. Even though I was somewhat nervous beforehand, once in front of the class I felt tall, cool, and confident, in command of the material. Afterwards, I relaxed in the student lounge, enjoying the congratulations of my classmates as well as admiring comments about my boots from some of the girls.

Later that afternoon Nikki called to make arrangements for our shopping expedition the next day. We were hoping to find her a pair of knee high boots. It was agreed that we would meet up wearing each other’s stuff, and swap back as soon as we could find an appropriate place. Although I’d be glad to have my Uggs and parka back, as they are more suited to day-to-day life on campus, I’d be sorry to lose the Louboutins. I’d enjoyed my first week of real high heel wearing and I felt like Cinderella at 30 minutes to midnight. Oh well, in a year or so, I will have graduated and found a job and I’ll be able to afford to buy my own pair.

<mod mode> Merged "Initiation" and "Initiation Part II" threads so the entire story will be in one thread. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming. . . </mod mode>

Have a happy time!