Out and About...

tallguyinheels

Some lunchtime errands in NE suburbs of Atlanta. Today I'm wearing my nice fitting BKE flared jeans from Buckle - medium dark tint - and my 5 Inch leather oxfords and a casual long sleeve button down shirt. I think I look pretty good, but there is always that initial anxiousness as you start out in a "heeled" outing. First stop Target store. The anxiousness fades away as I walk toward the store - admiring the heels and my look as I approach my refection in the glass entrance doors. Shopping for LCD TV this Christmas and I wander over to electronics. A young store employee had happen to follow me over - and I heard her comment to another employee - about 20 feet away over by the records and tapes (CD's and Videos - I show my age here....) - in Spanish "look over there at that man. He is wearing high heels!". They obviously didn't know I understand and speak Spanish adequately, at least until I looked over directly at them and smiled. Though when I stand still the jeans allow the heels to be mostly hidden, when walking, they are somewhat easy to spot - and I find that at a bit taller than 6'8" in the heels many people I encounter look at my first in the eyes and then at the feet. ("wearing stilts?") well almost I guess, though the front of the shoe has been mistaken for a boot. Found a new belt and some new trouser socks, didn't find any hair conditioner that temporarily tints platimum blonde, and bought a small gift for the office party later this week. As I stop at the back of the checkout line a man in his fifties - surprises me from behind and asks "where did you get those jeans?" So I turn and oblige him his answer, and he says "you can't find flared jeans anywhere these days, and I add "how baggie most the jeans are these days", and which malls you can find the Buckle stores. I told them these were jeans for the women's side of the store but they sales staff doesn't make much of a distinction - just tell them what you are looking for. He thanked me and went on. No acknowledgment what so ever on the my heels. Though I was ready... Mom in front of me (with well-behaving young one in shopping cart) must of overheard the conversation and said "Those jeans do look nice - I might have to get my husband to try a pair." Come-on, mention the shoes, I'm ready.... No, I change the subject, "Your son is a good shopper." "Bribed him with McDonald's" was her response and it was time for her to pay. I offer a "Merry Christmas" (I love this time of year) as she heads off. Next stop: Home Depot to look for a pair of flood lights for a much needed change in our house's Christmas decorations. Now, I know I'm the only one in the store - male or female - with heels on. and I'm pretty much looking on the main entrance aisle b/c that's where the light bulbs are - and I get a call from a colleague who needs my technical assistance - turns into a long call and before long there is no thought about what I'm wearing - I love it when you forget you have heels on when you do. Get my bulbs and light fixture, leave the store - head back to work - I need to work on the problem mentioned earlier - in a rush - decide to enter work with the heels on - my office is not too far from the door and ... I almost bump in the the female VP of accounting just inside the pass door - she's on her way to her office - sorry no story here - just an excuse me - we were too close for her to look down...

Wonderful outing with a lot of positive interaction! Even if nobody asked about your shoes, in a lot of ways positive comments about your jeans may be even better. A guy in heels is blase, but a guy in great jeans is remarkable. (Not half as remarkable as a well behaved child in the checkout lane- in my opinion at least.) Going into work in your heels is great as well! All around a wonderful story.

Style is built from the ground up!

Well the key thing, I think is that - due to the support and experiences of those here on hhplace/mens - is that I'm fully ready to say that I enjoy my shoe choice and have now began to wear the heels not so stealthy.... Today, just in a pair of men's dockers - just a tad long - almost 2 inches of heel showing when just standing... unfortunately no discussions... some people noticed. Secondtake: I work in the technology park area - Norcross-John's Creek area. Do you live in the area? wear in public?

Oh, and one more thing - especially for secondtake... The last time I went to Buckle at John's Creek Mall, I wore my heels! asked for xxlong women's jeans and they took care of me... I was able to try on many pair of jeans and see how they look .... I had also done this one on a business trip, but it was nice to do this locally.

Tallguyinheels... Congratulations on your high heel outing. I have never worn high heels into Home Depot. I think you have just inspired me to do it. And I agree, it is a cool feeling to forget and realize you're wearing high heels because you are so comfortable wearing them. Please keep the stories coming and congratulations on your day.

I haven't worn the heels into Home Depot but I've worn them into Lowe's!!

No big deal about wearing heels in Home Depot. Hell, I wore my thigh high boots in there recently! HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Good for you Jeff!! That's what you call oneupmanship!!

Not to boast, but yesterday I wore a skirt and heels in Home Depot. Had to buy a trash can for my kitchen, walked right up to an employee and sked where they were, found what I needed, walked to the self check-out lane, bought my item and left. Again, no big deal.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

JeffB:-) You have got to consider that for someone to do what you do, or for that matter, to do what some of the rest of us have done, it is no big deal. But for one who is doing it for the first time--BIG DEAL for them. And they are feeding their inspiration from the ones who have successfully done these things and are leading the way. And I say to everyone---CHARGE!!! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!