Heels in snow

balletboot2000

We all know that we have seen some great pics of Pata recently out in her heels in the snow, so I thought that I would give it a go after a recent snow fall. Ballet boots - work pretty well as there is a good pressure on the toebox. Pony boots - seem to work pretty well, until there is a build up of ice under the horse shoe. Then things get very wobbly. 7" Hollywood heels - totally helpless. The heel digs in, the toe box doesn't, and then you end up with the heel flicking backwards. 6" stilettos - as above. 8" platform Pleaser boots - they work quite well on snow, but you have to be careful on packed ice.

post-1710-133522875474_thumb.jpg

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

We all know that we have seen some great pics of Pata recently out in her heels in the snow, so I thought that I would give it a go after a recent snow fall.

Ballet boots - work pretty well as there is a good pressure on the toebox.

Pony boots - seem to work pretty well, until there is a build up of ice under the horse shoe. Then things get very wobbly.

7" Hollywood heels - totally helpless. The heel digs in, the toe box doesn't, and then you end up with the heel flicking backwards.

6" stilettos - as above.

8" platform Pleaser boots - they work quite well on snow, but you have to be careful on packed ice.

Living in Syracuse, NY I get lots of opportunites to heel in snow and I love to wear my 4" boots, no platforms, all the time. My male shoes with wide flat leather soles and big hard heels slide all over the place. I like to wear mid calf or higher boots, they have alot of support in the ankle so when I do slide it is just like being on skies. I actually do sky with them on purpose in the driveway as it is on a 3 deg incline. Also the mid calf keeps blowing snow off my calfs and from filtering back into the boot. I wear them to snow blow the drive way at temps as low as zero F, no socks. The roomy leather and my heel being 4 inches off the cold pavement seems to keep them surprisingly warm. Plaforms totally negate the improvement because they have no feel and are too inflexible when you need it the most.

Call be crazy, but I laugh just a little under my breadth when I see women struggle to walk in snow with heels, knowing that if they just walk mor agressively they have less chance of slipping.

An interesting topic. I´d say it is more about snow and less about heels. how much of snow; if it´s over gras or pavement; wet or dry, iced underground or not; quite dangerous if it´s an even street going downhills or uphills as you cannot control slipping then...though it´s not much better on shoes without heel having flat soles then... Anyway though really fun, heels are quite dangerous in snow. you do not see what´s under your feet. Your feet get wet and cold. high heeled boots are better but actually not made for snowy streets either...

I remember many years back following a girl in stilettos (honest just the same direction) down a street for maybe 100 yards, quite low heels 2-3" almost punching the heel into the frozen slush to grip as we were walking down a slope. I was slipping constantly, not her, she could have been just walking in the rain whilst I was doing a "Bambi on ice". She turned a corner and was gone. Very high may be fun but to be serious, to get somewhere it may be more advantageous being lower. we approach the time to test out some theories. Al

Climbing a snow mound in my back yard

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/Thighbooter/Heels/PICT0042Cropped.jpg

A closer view of my thighboots.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/Thighbooter/Heels/PICT0039Cropped.jpg

Boot prints in light snow, of my Steve Madden Knee Boots with a 4" heel and a mock vibrum sole. Love these boots in the snow.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/Thighbooter/Heels/MaddenBootprints03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting topic.

I´d say it is more about snow and less about heels.

how much of snow; if it´s over gras or pavement; wet or dry, iced underground or not; quite dangerous if it´s an even street going downhills or uphills as you cannot control slipping then...though it´s not much better on shoes without heel having flat soles then...

Anyway though really fun, heels are quite dangerous in snow. you do not see what´s under your feet. Your feet get wet and cold. high heeled boots are better but actually not made for snowy streets either...

I feel it is more the type of snow involved. To be safest in any type of snow/ice, I feel that Commando soles and steel tip stilettoes work best. If the soles are smooth and the heel digs in, you risk a twisted ankle, but with commando soles that help to stop the sliding around and a steel spike to dig into ice, I feel safer than in flats. Even platforms with commando soles are OK.

The problem is, I have enjoyed sliding around on ice/snow in heels, and I enjoy watching the girls have difficulty with snow/ice in heels. Its what turns me on!

So what are you looking for with high heels and snow/ice? Safe walking or adventure? I know which I prefer.

I have progressed from 8 inch heels to 20 inch peg stilts which are also very interesting, adventurous and often dangerous on snow/ice, but its what turns me on!

have only tried walking in snow in my backyard on bluestone patio with 6inch metal tipped pleaser heels found it tricky but went well. my wife wears heels just about anywheres we go usally 4 1/2 or 5 inch spikes. im very lucky to have her as she is totally supportive of my heeling at home, working on strret heeling soon

I remember a few years ago in Nairn in Scotland where I was driving buses, a young lady was getting ready to get off the bus at the bus station. She saw the thin layer of slush on the pavement where the plough had been, so she took off her heels and put on her black patent flats. She got off the bus and promptly went flat on her butt as the smooth soles/heels took control. So she got up, staggered with difficulty back to the bus and asked if she could come on to change her shoes, which I allowed her to do. She then put back on her black stilettoes of about 5 inches. Got off the bus and walked smartly away as if there was nothing wrong!!!!

• 1 month later...

It's been snowing here, for the first time in 18 years we have had 5" of snow, i know not bigtime compared to many, but ok anyway. For dogwalking I wore 4" black suede effect daywear knee boots, so they dug in the snow, with jeans tucked in. Great fun, it soaked thru, leaving them glistening by the time we got home. Back to the brown wedge ones tomorrow now it's melting.

Has anyone tried them with wedges, or is it the same result?

Wedges can be very difficult especially with smoothsoles. Its just like walking in ordinary male shoes exceot that you need an awful lot of extra ankle support. Feels like you are walking on stilts on ice. Slush I could manage but snow where footprints have frozen to patches of ice are very difficult. My best shoes for snow & ice were 6" steel heeled stilettoes with commando soles. There were super to use even down steep hills.

• 1 year later...

I usually do well with my 4" heeled western boots but today I'm so darned tired and sore from shoveling my driveway and roof(s) that it's clogs for me today.. I don't like to wear heels when I'm beat.. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Quite a lot of snow here in NW Indiana/Chicago areas, and many other areas this "major" blizzard has just hit. I think we have more stories to hear about :silly: Snow and heels has never looked so good, I bet.

Formally "HHDude"

• 4 months later...