NTL are being gits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2740621.stm

NTL are restricting the amount one can download on their broadband accounts to 1GB per day. Dunno how many people that applies to, but it applies to me. Complete gits. :(

In Japan you can get 12Mbps broadband for £27pm! :lol: Ok... I'm moving! The guys there wear skirts and heels as well! And it isnt' frowned upon...! Oh how much fun could I have there! :)

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Before you move, don't forget to take sufficient heels along because they don't have heels your size there, only little Japaneese feet you know.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Well, ain't that typical of NThell. Provide a service and then restrict it and then when you have a problem they don't listen or you tell them you don't want the service anymore because it c*** and spend 9 months telling them you cancelled it. Sounds like a rant forum bit to me!

Indeed... it's kinda removes the whole "unlimited" idea of broadband that NTL will happily plaster all over their PR shit, then in the T&C they stipulate it isn't actually unlimited... the complete bastards.... SH

With a dial-up modem it was dead easy to change your service provider; just sign up with someone else, change the dial-up settings, and the email settings and off you go. With broadband, you have a lot more work to do, as you have probably signed some sort of agreement with the provider, and it may have a minimum term or long period of notice. It may also require BT to change some settings at their end if you want to change your ADSL provider, and especially if you are with NTL, they have rather got you by the short and curlies as they use their own proprietory cable system. You are double whacked if you also get your TV, and normal phone line from them as a "package". NTL "broadband" is only 128K as standard, when everyone else offers 576K as standard. Total bar stewards.

especially if you are with NTL, they have rather got you by the short and curlies as they use their own proprietory cable system.

I would dispute that. NTL use the same cabling system as telewest who supply blueyonder broadband. So it isn't exactly proprietary...

But yes, you're screwed if you want to switch from NTL back to BT, although it's not impossible, it's a lot of hassle.

NTL "broadband" is only 128K as standard, when everyone else offers 576K as standard. Total bar stewards.

Totally untrue. NTL's standard broadband is their 600k service, which is what I have. It is cheaper than most ADSL options, at £25 per month, you don't have to have a phoneline to get it (or TV either), and it's faster than the 512k you get with all home ADSL packages. Their cheaper broadband is the 128k service, which is a mere £15 per month, which is cheaper than some "unlimited" dial up packages, and certainly better, considering it's always on, and also the fact you could barely manage to download 1GB in a 24 hour period anyway.... (actually assuming optimum speed on 128k, you could easily do 1.236GB in a 24 hour period)

SH

NTL "broadband" is only 128K as standard, when everyone else offers 576K as standard. Total bar stewards.

FYI: NTL's 600Kbit broadband service is 24.99/Month (if you rent the modem - we don't*), and the 128k entry-level broadband is aimed at pulling OpenWoe dial users away from BT (£14.99/Mo) :o

SH - It doesnt seem as bad as it looks at the first instance, it now appears that NTL are doing the averaging over the month; so you've effectively got a 30Gb/Month cap instead. :lol:

Linked in a roundabout manner from slashdot :http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7676

[*] Not sure if they do this deal anymore -- it'd mean the 1Mbit service'd be 30 Quid :) , but probably involve some barganing with Customer services. :(

Cheers.

Andy.

SH, you pre-empted my other post! :(

I would dispute that. NTL use the same cabling system as telewest who supply blueyonder broadband. So it isn't exactly proprietary...

True, but considering NTL swallowed up the local cable providers about 4 years ago, and they (each franchise) were pretty much free to use any cable tech they wanted Incompatibilites are possible.

With cable, you are locked into the local provider :lol: , Local Loop Unbundling means ADSL can come from anyone.

Totally untrue. NTL's standard broadband is their 600k service, which is what I have. It is cheaper than most ADSL options, at £25 per month, you don't have to have a phoneline to get it (or TV either), and it's faster than the 512k you get with all home ADSL packages. Their cheaper broadband is the 128k service, which is a mere £15 per month, which is cheaper than some "unlimited" dial up packages, and certainly

Also the latency (ping) is better on Cable (Ethernet, not USB), and at the time we had it, NTL was the only option for broadband here in the NW of Leics.

Indeed. We rent the modem. When we got it (last Feb), there wasn't the option to buy the modem. Even if there was, we wouldn't have. My dad doesn't like large initial outlay. We paid £25 installation fee, which is far better than ADSL installation (proper installation, that is, not self), which is around £150. Considering NTL have to dig up your drive, lay cables, drill holes, lay more cable, attach various boxes to internal and external walls, I think they offer much better value when all ADSL "engineers" do is stick a microfilter on the end and put their probe into it to check it works. BT are evil. SH

Indeed. We rent the modem. When we got it (last Feb), there wasn't the option to buy the modem. Even if there was, we wouldn't have. My dad doesn't like large initial outlay. We paid £25 installation fee, which is far better than ADSL installation (proper installation, that is, not self), which is around £150. Considering NTL have to dig up your drive, lay cables, drill holes, lay more cable, attach various boxes to internal and external walls, I think they offer much better value when all ADSL "engineers" do is stick a microfilter on the end and put their probe into it to check it works. BT are evil.

SH

I agree with the initial outlay, and we would've rented the modem, but at the time we were after getting a modem from a company that does RF gear rather than network kit (motorla). Besides break-even is about 2.5 years. after that, the modem's paid for itself & it makes any higher-bandwith connections cheaper as time goes on.

BT have been getting better tho, with thier no-frills self-install ADSL, you can buy a modem off Ebay, have your line enabled by BT and get service from Nildram at £20/month (50 or 80 quid 'setup' charge tho.)

Cheers.

A./

SH, you pre-empted my other post! :(

I thought I might have! :)

With cable, you are locked into the local provider :lol: , Local Loop Unbundling means ADSL can come from anyone.

Not true, and true. You can get AOL broadband (or at least you will be able to soon) through NTL's cable technology, much like the way that ADSL operates.

Also the latency (ping) is better on Cable (Ethernet, not USB), and at the time we had it, NTL was the only option for broadband here in the NW of Leics.

That's true. I run my cable via ethernet into my Linux router/gateway/firewall, then to the rest of the network (all 9 other machines, including my machine).

SH

Not true, and true. You can get AOL broadband (or at least you will be able to soon) through NTL's cable technology, much like the way that ADSL operates.

I stand corrected! but wouldn't consider AOL an option (IIRC they proxy all thier IP traffic out of the states.)

That's true. I run my cable via ethernet into my Linux router/gateway/firewall, then to the rest of the network (all 9 other machines, including my machine).

SH

9! -- Don't post that on an NTL forum! Do you host your own mail? - you can have as many aliases as you like (great for paranoia!)

A Little OT -- Think I'd better get back to talking about shoes - can't be seen to be knowing too much about networks lest I be branded 'geek' :(

I know enough about networks and computers to be branded a geek, and I don't mind being branded that at all! Nor would I consider AOL an option, unless it was for some sort of torture. Proxying traffic out to the States is a little dumb... NTL don't have a problem with running networks on cable modems. They just won't offer me support! Having said that, I don't need support. I AM my own (and my family's) tech support. Compared to me, the NTL support are monkeys... not that I'm big headed of course :lol: *gets off high horse [ahem] heels* I don't host my own mail. I tried to, but I couldn't be bothered with getting it to work on Linux. I have all my mail and most webstuff hosted on a private, properly colocated server in the London Datacentre. I have my own domain (beavisnet.co.uk) and unlimited email aliases. So if you send mail to hgfdjksghdskgh _AT_ beavisnet.co.uk, it will arrive in my inbox! (try it if you want!) *strokes server machine* :( SH

NTL have always given the user the option to buy the modem instead if renting it. At least you don't still get charged for modem rental 2 years into the agreement! Besides the cost of cable modems has dropped dramatically. I have freinds who have the NTL service on all of the options. 2 on 128k, 1 on 512k and 1 on 1mbit and all have problems of some description, but they all get what they want from the service. Admittadly the olnlt one that would exceed the 1Gb a day would be the guy on 1Mbit as he leaves the machine on all day to download. The whole idea of capping the download traffic is so NTL can market another option and charge more for it. BT Openworld (or should that be Closedworld) have cut their service to 150 hours a month (or as Dr.Shoe points out 5hrs/day) seems completely barmy. I use Dialup and I'm on for much more than 5 hours every day. Sometimes I'll leave the connection on overnight (oh the joys of not having a cutoff time) and before anyone screams "He must be loaded", nope, I just have access to a number that doesn't cost and doesn't timeout :( Again, this move by BT is to force more users onto the slightly more expensive ADSL options to which they can then impose download limits and create more marketing options. Whichever way you look at them, they are as bad as each other. They will always try and find ways to make more money from you and once they have you, they reckon you can't live without them. I doubt would have any use for downloading more than 1Gb a day anyway. That's far too many CD's to write every week :lol:

<pedant>I might remind you it's 1GB, not 1Gb. Gb is gigaBITS.</pedant>

When we got broadband, we didn't have the option (or at least didn't appear to) for buying the modem, but like I said, even if we did, we wouldn't have done.

I think it's ludicrous to claim that an "anytime" service can only be used for the equivalent of 5 hours a day. You get more on an AOL trial! *shudders*

NTL are now trying to back down on the 1GB per day thing, since so many people have objected to it since it was announced last Friday.

Read the rant at http://www.dont-pay-ntl.co.uk

SH

<pedant>I might remind you it's 1GB, not 1Gb. Gb is gigaBITS.</pedant>

When did you learn about computers? I have been using computers since before you were born and knew all the operations of them before I touched one, so please don't try to lecture me on notation.

but now that's out of the way, NTL offered their modems for sale but put a rather large (or that extortionate) price tag on them and all for the want of the customer getting the service for £5 a month less. It made sense in the long run, but only the wealthy could afford to do that.

on another note, 0845 penny a minute dialup isn't what it claims to be. It stills cost you 3.5p/min between 0800hrs and 1800hrs, then it's 1.5p/min between 1800hrs and 0000hrs, so the only time that 1p/min comes into play between midnight and 8am and then it's 0.95p/min.

here comes the kicker, they also charge you 4.5p for placing the call to the 0845 as well !!

I don't have ADSL available, so it's Telewest or dial-up here. I use TW unmetered dialup, which works for me. As for ADSL, don't forget it's actually a contended service, with a 50:1 contention ratio. That means that up to 50 users are chasing that 2MB that you're promised, meaning that what you get on the day can be much less. Even business ADSL is 20:1 contended, meaning that there are times when it's on a go-slow. I'd personally go with Telewest cable, as that's the best for me. Ethernet interface, so that I can plug my UNIX computers in, and a nutrient drip so I never need to leave the house again :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

and a nutrient drip so I never need to leave the house again :)

add a sipping tube attached a bottle of whisky and move the computer into the bathroom :lol:

I'm looking into ADSL for a connection with either BT or OneTel. Both offer the same speed 512k but offer a better upstream speed than NTL, 256k as opposed to 128k. Plus they don't mind you serving webpages from your machine, which would be quite handy for me. Just means the computer will be left on more often. That'll annoy the household management :(