Really low stilettos/kitten heels

What really really bugs me is when I see hiddeously trendy girls at college wearing pointy toed pumps/courts with an almost non-existant heel on them... they're HORRIBLE! They really get up my nose.... give me some proper heels any day of the week! The other day, whilst waiting for my bus, I saw a lady walking along in what were probably 4-4.5 inch block heel shoes with stockings/tights and a knee length skirt... She was quite obviously the wrong figure for this attire... and what's more, she had no idea how to walk in heels... she just looked totally stupid to me! Why do people do that?!?! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Hmm. Tut Tut. We really must not judge other people. It is their choice what they wear. Yes, some people attempt heels that are too high, and, yes, some people wear only flats. However, while in London at the weekend, I saw some girls wearing some really smart shoes with interesting designs that were totally flat, pointy toe courts, with little straps across the toes and little cut outs in the body of the shoe. Variety is the spice of life, I think the old adage goes.

Variety is the spice of life, I think the old adage goes.

True though that is... it still really gets to me! I don't find it at all attractive. They just look plain nasty. And if you're gonna wear heels and a skirt, you might as well do a proper job!

SH

That all comes down to individual taste! You think it looks bad, they think it looks great! What's good for one ain't necessarily good for another. Our personal tastes in clothing and footwear might not sit well with other members of the forum, but they are polite enough not to verbally air it for all to read. They merely suggest their preferences. For example, I don't care much for wedges, but Highluc, I know, loves them and he's perfectly entitled to. his doesn't mean that I think any less of him. In the same way, he might not think much to ballets, but I wear them and he doesn't think badly of me. Highluc and I have met and we get on well, even if our tastes are different. If everyone had the same attitudes and preference then there would be no variety, just a great flock of mindless sheep! The old adage "To each his own" works well here and people should remember that.

I''m not saying people aren't entitled to do or think what they want... I'm just having a rant about something that I don't think looks great... espcially the low pointy toed heels... which I see a lot of at college unfortunately. After all, what is a Rant Forum meant for if not for ranting?! And I like both ballet heels and wedges! Although I've only worn wedges. I wanna try ballet heels, not sure if I'd bother buying any though! I know earlier last year there was quite a thread in this forum going about how so many of the gals hate platforms... I for one quite like them on the right shoe... doesn't mean I blow my lid at them for hating something I like... I do that to my college friend instead! (Although not about shoes. Normally about religion, computers, or whatever he's feeling anal about!) SH

Many years ago I and some colleagues were on a business trip to Rieti just outside Rome in Italy, and we found that we had a few hours to spare in the end before the return flight, so we decided to stroll around in the "village". Just as we came close to a school the bell rang and all the kids, apparently only girls at the age of perhaps 10-12 years of age, came "storming" out in the street. -All were in HH's with at least an 3"+ heel and they ran, used jumping ropes, played those games where two players keep a rubber band stretched out a few meters using their lower legs, while the others "stream" while making "dance steps" twisting and turning the bands. -We almost did not believe our eyes at the apparent indifference to being able to wear heels during these activities... :lol: I know a lot of Italian people and have been told that a lot of (girls) kids start out very early with HH's as they are much more fashion conscious than, forinstance, us Swedes. -Still it was amazing to see. TallSwede

Yeah but the last years the UK has taken the lead, I never saw so many heels available in kids sizes and very young girls (6-8 years) wearing them as during our Euro heel meet in London about a year ago.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Most men probably don't look much better in stilettos, especially old guys like me, but they still feel good and appeal to me. Yes, I have seen people who don't know how to walk in (on?) heels, but at least they have them, so I'm not complaining.

I agree, there are a lot of young girls (12 and under) wearing heels now. It's great to see... much better than seeing lots of girls my age (16-18) not wearing heels at all! It's even worse when the shoes have low heels and/or pointy toes! If it had a decent heel and pointy toes though, I can deal with that! SH

SH: watch out with labeling people, some might think the same of you considering your choice of footwear. Be tolerant as long as they don't harm you, everybody is entitled their own freedom of fashion.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Fair point. I never thought of that really. Any person wearing them is either wearing them for the fashion, or because they like them, or both. If they wanna wear them, obviously, I'm not stopping them, I just find it very unattractive. Ok, someone hand me a rope... SH

Oh heck. Your two images above are from the new Faith web site. Faith are often reckoned to be the shoe fashionistas Mecca. Hmm, looks like fashion isn't going to be very high this summer. Interestingly the Faith web site has had a complete redesign in the last few weeks. It has at least five times as many products as it used to (including a few Bronx and Morgan {de Toi} items, and now it also features on-line ordering (to UK addresses only). The site is a vast improvement over the old one, but the product range is not so good. Darn.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... Schuh are following the same route with the most "fashionable" shoes, but they seem to be keeping a broad range of footwear available nonetheless. I wonder how long it is before we see the disappearance of decent chunky/blade heeled shoes... *sigh* SH

-Well, *any* "sort of" attempt at heels should still be encouraged, in my opinion... -Else wait for the next generation *ONLY* wanting Birkenstocks as foot-wear, and also therefore *demanding* all streets and sidewalks completely *sterile* from snow during a heavy down fall so they did not happen to wet their feet... :lol: TallSwede

Hey Tallswede, I'm particularly partial to a pair of classic Birkenstocks. I've got three pairs. The latest additions being a white pair last summer. They look supercool with a pair of long, faded, slightly flared jeans. Okay, they have no heel, but I think they make a statement. What irritates me is the abundance of Birkenstock lookalikes that suddenly appeared last year. Don't people get it? Birkies are about the contoured footbed. They are nothing without the integrity of the original design. Hey, whoa! I should have mentioned. I like shoes. I'm also quite enjoying squirrelheels rant about kitten heels. I don't mind them. I actually quite like that low, extremely pointed toed look. I just think any subject that brings out a bit of passion in people is worth debating. Squirrelheels has that conviction that he just can't be wrong that comes with youth. I miss that.

Squirrelheels has that conviction that he just can't be wrong that comes with youth. I miss that.

I'm no way convinced I'm right. If anything, I try to make my attitude as open minded as possible in all situations. It's a matter of personal taste what people wear, and like I said, I'm not stopping people from wearing them, and I'm not going to impose my personal taste on them (well, I might say _something_ if I was going out with someone who wore shoes like that...). All I'm saying is I don't like the shoes one bit. They just look so unattractive to me! That's all!

SH

... I might say _something_ if I was going out with someone who wore shoes like that...

SH

I was seeing this girl who knew I had a 'thing' about heels. One day she called me to tell me about the new shoes she'd just bought. Black leather with really high heels, she said. I couldn't get round there quickly enough. When I did, she answered the door wearing the new shoes and very little else. This is going very well I thought, when I noticed the shoes had a half-inch platform. Oh no, what a complete passion killer. Needless to say, I had to put her straight. Would have been unkind not to.

Is there a point to my story? Not really. Maybe just that it's good to feel passionate about something and be truly and utterly baffled that there could be anyone who wouldn't agree with you. No offence my furry friend.

Squirrel you have got your whiskers in a twist over this one haven't you :( but if it's any consolation I agree with you those particular examples are ugly :) On the other hand I never say never as Jo says 'variety is the spice of life' and Francis 'each to their own' and to be honest I am prone to change my mind from day to day. For example I am not a plat lover but have recently bought 2 plat sandals, simply because they suited my feet but had you asked me would I buy any last year I would have said no. The only other thing I'd like to add is that if I liked someone I wouldn't care if they had a pash for wearing great big furry bunny slippers out as it is the person I would go for rather than their clothing :o I do love your postings though Squirrel :lol: you have certainly got into this discussion board. Love Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

I like my whiskers the way they are thankyou :lol: *purrs* I change my mind too... I used to like patent quite a lot, but now I've completely gone off it, and fail to see the attraction. I might like it again sometime in the future, I might not... we will see! I totally agree with you on that one... I'm glad you like my postings too :( SH

• 7 months later...

Unknown - you have simply got to be JOKING. How can anyone come on to this great High Heel Meeting Place megaforum and say they actually LIKE 'orrible stumpy heels and f, f, f, f, f, flat shoes? (Like Dr Shoe, I can hardly bring myself to say the 'f' word!). It's probably the surest way of staying Unknown on these forums! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Unknown - you have simply got to be JOKING. How can anyone come on to this great High Heel Meeting Place megaforum and say they actually LIKE 'orrible stumpy heels and f, f, f, f, f, flat shoes? (Like Dr Shoe, I can hardly bring myself to say the 'f' word!).

It's probably the surest way of staying Unknown on these forums!

Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Ok. You kinda got me there. I don't really care for the flats, but the kittens are lovely.

Yes, I am being serious.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my heels high too.

As a moderator, I am going to take a moderate position here. If a person likes something and is happy, then great! So long as no one else is hurt over it. And that does mean that there should not be any fights errupting over kitten heels. I once saw a pair of shoes in Shuz magazine I adored and wanted so bad. They were called Sweet Attack, leopard print kitten heeled mules. I still think they look great, even though I'd need them in at least a four inch heel these days.