Fallen Arches

Cinnamon

Question

It was recently brought to my attention that my arches have fallen a fair bit as can be seen by the following foot scan:

http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/CinnamonCinders/?action=view&current=001.jpg

Has anybody had any experience with this?

I have been told that there's no way to fix it but that in order to help my overall posture I will need orthotics.

The sound of these give me fear.

They don't sound compatible with high heels and despite the fancy name (5th Avenue Lady Luxury), I'm feeling somewhat dismayed by the whole thing.

The cause is quite clear. I did ballet for several years when I was younger and eventually suffered a number of serious ankle injuries which resulted in physiotherapy for several years.

Not one therapist or doctor identified that my arches had fallen. :w00t2:

Is there any advice that anybody could give me?

8 answers to this question

Some Googling (search terms high heels and fallen arches) is showing me that it is a good idea to avoid high heels when your arches have fallen and that high heels can actually cause fallen arches. Not good news for a heel lover I'm afraid.

This page from the manufacturer of Lady Luxury says that they are designed for shoes with a 1 or 2 inch heel, not a high heel by any stretch of the imagination but at least a heel of some sort.

Unnh, not good. :w00t2: Fallen arches are just about the death-knell for heels. However, I have successfully used arch supports in my low-heeled shoes and after my arches had gone back into proper position I was able to wear heels again. But this is a very long-term treatment of a year or more and there is no guarantee that your arches will go back into position. In any case, I would suggest the arch supports and see if that helps; but forget about heels for the present. If your arches get better, you can try heels after a year or so, but if your arches start to fall again then I afraid that heels are not for you. BTW there is a company called Arch Enemies and I'm very much afraid that they're telling it like it is. Good luck to you.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

:w00t2: I'm not sure if I actually am even able to give up the heels for a year. I've found recently that I'm finding it more difficult to wear heels for extended periods of time, but have just started to become a fan of taxis and regular coffee breaks. What's the worst that could happen if I were to conveniently forget that these things have been said?

What's the worst that could happen if I were to conveniently forget that these things have been said?

The possibility of physically never being able to wear heels ever again. Wouldn't it be better to give them up (somewhat) willingly for a year or so now instead of being forced by your body farther down the line to give them up forever?

The possibility of physically never being able to wear heels ever again. Wouldn't it be better to give them up (somewhat) willingly for a year or so now instead of being forced by your body farther down the line to give them up forever?

You've got a very valid point, not one I wanted to hear lol, but valid nonetheless.

I get the official "results" of my scans and the above foot scan on Weds, so I'll discuss what has been mentioned here and will let you all know.

:w00t2: