My anime convention outfit

EdwardianEra

Hello all! I've been pretty much absent for a long time, but am happy to be back. Remember how I said I wanted to make a Victorian dress? I did! And I just realized I cannot figure out how to post photos with the different system. XD I'd like to insert the photos in the text, and not have to link to them or have them all at the end of the post. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up on figuring out how to embed the photos, so I'm just going to link to the photos I have. :w00t2:

Okay, here's the heels I'm wearing, 2 3/4 inches, manmade but extremely comfortable, for several hours at a time, anyway (and I got them for free!):

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/boots-1-1.jpg

And the dress, which hides the boots anyway (I need to resew the hook and eye closing the skirt in back; at the moment it's too far over and the skirt slips down about 2 inches). It's based off 1895 fashion:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/dress-2.jpg

A (I think) slightly more flattering photo someone else took:

http://www.freewebs.com/scottyspot/01Youmacon2008/yooomahhh/91.JPG

I made just about everything I'm wearing--the hat, a corset, three petticoats, bloomers, and the skirt and bodice. The gloves were bought at a leather goods outlet store on sale and on clearance, for just $9.

I wore this to Youmacon, an anime convention near my house, and wow I had a good time. On average, I would say I was approached for a photo every 10 minutes or so, not kidding! And quite a few people didn't realize I was a guy, which was quite amusing. I'll post the funniest situations later (it's almost 1 AM here, and I need some sleep before school ;-) ).

I can also post photos of the corset and other pieces later, if anyone is interested. :lmao:

Thank you!

Thank you, Elegant! Yes, I had meant to get my eyebrows plucked and better makeup, but I ran out of time...and money. I was finishing sewing the twenty (!) buttons onto the bodice at 3:30 Halloween morning, and my, was my dad angry at me for staying up so late--I had to get up for school two hours later.

I wore the complete outfit to school....XD my, that was interesting. I got praise from just about every one of my teachers, especially when they found out I had sewn the outfit myself. It's a rather conservative Catholic school, by the way, which explains the irony.

A friend gave me some basic foundation to use, but of course it wore off pretty quickly (I was rather warm in my outfit). Which is why my face is shiny in all the photos, by that time the makeup had worn off.

I also bought a wig, and the seller posts on the costuming forums I do (she's really friendly). I had to restyle it (with some difficulty; it's synthetic) to better match the look I needed, but it is pretty good quality and was only $70 including shipping costs from California. The wig matches my own hair colour so well that several of my friends thought it was my real hair from a distance. And even though it is acrylic, I didn't have the "steambath" feeling normally associated with synthetic wigs--I barely noticed it at all once I glued the front edge down, even with the heavy braided bun at the base of my neck. :w00t2:

ShockQueen, the series is Victorian Romance Emma, set in 1895 involving a gentryman and a maid who fall in love. Cliched, I know, but the plot is very well thought out and the artwork is absolutely beautiful. While this isn't as well known a series, I was surprised at the convention--a lot of people came up to me and said, "Emma, right?"

Edit: The dress is based on one Emma wears near the very end of the manga. Most of the time before that she is either wearing a black and white maid's uniform or a plain red travelling dress. I'm actually working on her maid outfit for Ohayocon, this coming January.

Here's a

for the anime on Youtube. The anime deviates from the story's plot, so it isn't as good as the manga but is still enjoyable. The music is fantastic, however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! :thumbsup:

Actually, that was my first complete outfit I've sewn. I had never sewn a fitted bodice before, or sleeves. The corset was probably one of the easier things, actually.

Oh--and it was my first convention, as well as the first time I'd been able to CD for more than a few hours (Friday 7 AM to 12 AM, and Saturday 12:00 PM to 11:00 PM). It was so much fun; I can't wait to do it again in January!

Here are pics, as promised!

Corset

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/Corsetfront.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/Corset-side.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/skirt-back.jpg

Petticoat #1

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/1petti1.jpg

Petticoat #2

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/2ndPetti1.jpg

Petticoat #3 (which was actually made entirely from a thrift store bedskirt!)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/3-Petti-1.jpg

And the quick-and-dirty bloomers I threw together using a free online pattern (again using a bedsheet):

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/VictorianBoots/bloomers.jpg

I'm working on a fourth petticoat right now, and it's going to be covered with ruffles. Lots of work but I think it'll look great and hold the skirt out very well, especially when it's starched.

And this is Emma's maid outfit, which I am making for Ohayocon in January (the skirt is essentially done and I just ordered the bodice pattern):

http://accel21.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/1/10/24/47/manga/emma.jpg

Thanks again, and I'll update my progress on the outfit over Christmas break!

Your costume work is fantastic!! and you look the part. Looking at the source (the you tube link) really gives no idea on how to size cut and sew. What you have created is very very good. I used to play 17th century re-enactment and trying to find patterns or working from artworks caused a great deal of difficulty. We had two main books that helped with the paterns The Cut of Mens Clothes and The Cut of Women's Clothes, the later substantively larger and covered from about the 13/14th century forward to the early 19th. both from the same author/editor/compiler:- Norah Waugh. Sizing wise many of the patterns are small almost for someone less than 5 ft high and that was the male sizes! Hope the above can help and enjoy all aspects of the creation and the "play" Al

Actually it is. It's called "crossplay", where the males assume female anime roles and vice versa - the most pervasive of this being guys who dress as the Sailor Moon characters. That's all I'll say about it, since that's not really heel-related. I do love the outfit though.

• Like 1

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Thought it was cos play (costume) or is there two different lines here?

The youngest stepdaughter does it and some of the conventions in London, never has she let slip about a gender issue in her following.

Her costume charactor is Merleawe a 14yr female from Magical Miracle.

The plot is

Fourteen-year-old Merleawe comes to Viegald to learn magic. On her way to her first day of school, she is kidnapped by a man named Vaith and taken to the castle, where she learns that Viegald is in danger because of the disappearance of the Master Wizard, the Great Sylthfarn. Since Merleawe bears a resemblance to Sylthfarn, she is asked to impersonate Sylthfarn, to preserve and protect Viegald. To achieve the same air and atmosphere as Sylthfarn, she trains in etiquette and mannerisms. Throughout the series she struggles to do her best and finds herself on the quest to find out who Sylthfarn really is.(wikipedia)

Sylthfarn is male master wizard and the reason to impersonate is that he died at 15 and she is to help.

Now I'm confused:-?

Al

Yes, CDing is common and openly embraced at anime conventions, one of my main reasons for wanting to go.

I do love the outfit though.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

As ShockQueen said, Cosplay literally means "costume role-play"; assuming the character's persona complete with the type of dress that character would wear. It is an all-encompassing term. Crossplay, however, is a inner division of cosplay--the only difference being that the character portrayed is of the opposite gender, thereby "crossing" gender roles.

So if I understand right, Alsheels, then your stepdaughter is dressing up as a female character who is pretending to be the male wizard? Then that is not crossplay, just cosplay, since her character is physically a woman (who just happens to be impersonating a guy for part of that story).

Confused yet? :welcome:

BTW, there is a locally famous guy who goes to Youmacon as Sailor Moon each year. His costume and his accessories, complete with killer stiletto boots and an outrageously long and accurate wig, make him look completely fabulous. Plus he's a bit tall and slim, so he has similar proportions to the original character (think realllly long legs...). XD

I'm currently working on the petticoat ruffles and impatiently waiting for my bodice pattern to arrive. More to come later!

• 2 weeks later...

To be truthful, my parents aren't thrilled about it. My mom isn't so much against the actual wearing of the clothes--she's annoyed that I've spent so much cash on outfits I only get to wear a few times a year. My dad, on the other hand, is uncomfortable with the whole idea. When the topic of the next dress came up, he said why don't I make a Victorian suit to go along with it and show that I can tailor men and women's clothes. Not really subtle. :thumbsup: He's not comfortable talking about it so it rarely comes up in conversation. In short, they aren't encouraging my individuality this way. Regardless, I'm sure they would prefer me spending money on sewing and crossdressing rather than using drugs or other idiotic stuff. Besides, it's a really conservative fashion--high collars and skirts to the floor. I'm not parading around in really skimpy clothing, so there's no risk of accidental exposure, etc., so I'm not self conscious. I just feel so...right...in a Victorian dress. Like I've always belonged in it. Quick update on the maid costume: I made the mockup bodice to check the fit, and it seems very good. I'm waiting for the main fabric to finish preshrinking in the dryer, then I can get the pattern pieces cut out tonight.

. . . My dad, on the other hand, is uncomfortable with the whole idea. When the topic of the next dress came up, he said why don't I make a Victorian suit to go along with it and show that I can tailor men and women's clothes. Not really subtle. :thumbsup: He's not comfortable talking about it so it rarely comes up in conversation. . .

Some people will spend an awful lot of money for a dress with a man's name on the designer label . . .

Have a happy time!

Some people will spend an awful lot of money for a dress with a man's name on the designer label . . .

JMC is quite right about what people will spend on say Dior, Loubotin, YSL, you get the idea. Have you considered a career in fashion design or costuming? With your obvious talent you could make a living.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

I want to become a designer, or more specifically a historic costume designer for films and theatre. It's not that my dad is upset that I sew, it's that I'm wearing the ladies clothing that I'm making. He wouldn't be uncomfortable if I was only sewing dresses for friends and other women.

Happy New Year!

Yes, he's going to have to get used to it--I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Sigh....I'm really pissed off at my older sister right now. My room is a terrible mess (however bad you are imagining it, multiply it by three). Yesterday she decided she wanted to borrow my radio with mp3 input, and pretty much destroyed any semblance of order I had in the already messy room. She picked up piles of stuff and threw them in the other half of the room. I now can't find anything. Including the pattern pieces I had cut out of the bodice and cape, which were supposed to be at least partially assembled this weekend. The convention is in 30 days, and I needed time to get the bodice finished and work on drafting the apron....:thumbsup:

UGH....and this weekend, my schedule is completely full--no time to spend in my room looking for everything. Of course. So she couldn't have picked a worse time to screw with my sewing stuff.

And I go back to school on Monday. Then I have end-of-term exams the next week.

Fun.

I need to go to bed and feel really bad for awhile.

I want to become a designer, or more specifically a historic costume designer for films and theatre.

It's not that my dad is upset that I sew, it's that I'm wearing the ladies clothing that I'm making. He wouldn't be uncomfortable if I was only sewing dresses for friends and other women.

I've always thought a good designer should be able to wear his own designs in order to see what, where and how things should fit and feel. That goes for any person that designs lingerie, hose, dresses, shoes, bras, etc. How else are they ever to understand what wearers of their designs are talking about and looking for?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Happy New Year!

Yes, he's going to have to get used to it--I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Sigh....I'm really pissed off at my older sister right now. My room is a terrible mess (however bad you are imagining it, multiply it by three). Yesterday she decided she wanted to borrow my radio with mp3 input, and pretty much destroyed any semblance of order I had in the already messy room. She picked up piles of stuff and threw them in the other half of the room. I now can't find anything. Including the pattern pieces I had cut out of the bodice and cape, which were supposed to be at least partially assembled this weekend. The convention is in 30 days, and I needed time to get the bodice finished and work on drafting the apron....:winkiss:

UGH....and this weekend, my schedule is completely full--no time to spend in my room looking for everything. Of course. So she couldn't have picked a worse time to screw with my sewing stuff.

And I go back to school on Monday. Then I have end-of-term exams the next week.

Fun.

I need to go to bed and feel really bad for awhile.

Advice from Dr. Bubba! Take two aspirin, go to bed, rest and call me in the morning if things don't look brighter!:thumbsup::welcome:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.