broken boots

i have a pair of black patent boots made by fioni that has a 4'' heel and about 1/2 '' platform in front , well it seems like one of them broke just in front of the heel like under the foot so what im asking can this be fixed or are they a total loss.

• 4 weeks later...

Your foot has to naturally bend when it walks, often footwear with a platform at the front limit’s the uppers movement so that it won’t bend when walking. The shoe then tends to “give” at the weakest point, in this case the area between the platform & the heel. In this area is an item called the “shank” which gives this area strength. Its usually a sprung metal bar in high heel boots & if you imagine constantly flexing a metal bar back & forth, eventually it breaks, which I would suspect its what has happened here. It’s a big job to replace, the heel block has so come off & the sole has to be lifted to get to it, its not a job for the faint hearted which means a lot of repairers will turn it away. This in turn means those who can do it charge a fair price for the work. So YES they can be fixed but it will be costly! (if this is what’s broken off course) so my advice would be take them to your local repairer & get the damage assessed! Then you can weigh up if they are a total loss or not. But don’t go buying glues & things, if the heel gave out whilst you where wearing them it could cause you an injury. Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

I'm having trouble getting my mind focused on what you say has happened. However, if the sole of the boot(s) broke where you say it has, that would suggest that the mfgr. has not installed a shank, as Shoerepairer has described. If this is in fact the case, then the boots might not be worth repairing. To determine if a steel shank is present (they normally use a piece of fairly thick metal about 3 or 4 inches long and about an inch wide) you could try using a fairly powerful magnet and see it sticks to the sole. If there is no steel shank present then you will have to weigh whether or not you want to put any more money into them. I can't imagine a reputable mfgr not putting a shank in, but these days all bets are off.

On the other hand, it may be that the shank itself has broken (they often use a low-grade spring steel) and if that's the case then there's no reason to think that the other shank is not also at the point of breaking. Either way, you now have some serious questions to evaluate and it may in fact be cheaper to replace the boots.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

Fioni brand of boots is not the high end of boots, you know right??? I am betting that they have no steel shank at all... solid plastic/man made base. if a epoxy repair does not work i don't think you will find some one to repair them... I am still leaning towards them being toast...

• 2 weeks later...

If the platform is a unit with the heel, then it is cast or injection molded plastic, and would have no reinforcement. I doubt gluing would approach the strength of the original unit. I have had two pairs of low platform slide crack/break at the back of the sole where the platform turns up through the arch area. They were the old Sunset Strip design which are still sold some places, and are thinner than Pleasers or Ellies in this area. They got tossed.

I found today that the uppers on my Pleaser Flair 2010 4.5" heel platform boots were separating from the platform at the back of the heel. I noticed it because one of them was making a noise when I walked. Has anyone else experienced this? I used Super Glue to try to glue them back together, but haven't tried them, yet.

yes bunny i know they arent high end boots but i drive a truck so i cant afford the high end boots . i but what i can even if they are kinda cheap. if they cant be fixed them its no big loss. they were just nice to wear out since they are black patent i love the shiny side. id like to find another pair of them in my size 12

I am sorry. What i meant to say was that a lot of cobblers will not work on them because they have a hard time with them because the workmanship in them prohibits them from doing a quality repair. I have a wonderful pair of Vintage Mary Janes from Wild Pair that cracked just in front of the heel. after trying three times to repair the shoe, they were toast. After deconstructing the shoe. It had a solid plastic sole and arch and a bubble is what caused the crack. Trying as hard as possible good not break the remaining shoe. Not many sexy afforable heels are meant to be repaired in the sole arch area anymore. the cheaper ones are always the sexiest wonder why,lol

I found today that the uppers on my Pleaser Flair 2010 4.5" heel platform boots were separating from the platform at the back of the heel. I noticed it because one of them was making a noise when I walked. Has anyone else experienced this?

I used Super Glue to try to glue them back together, but haven't tried them, yet.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen. That style has got to be one of the worst-made ones by Pleaser yet. I bought them in a size (since Pleaser runs small), and during one of the first times I took them off, when I tried to slide them off, the area above the zipper ripped! So I got them in a 16 thinking it would solve the problem. The zipper hasn't ripped on this one, but the heel between the sole and platform is also coming loose. I had thought about trying some superglue/epoxy to reinforce it, but haven't yet either. Also, the coating on the platform is very thin and if you scratch it at all, it's RED underneath. So now I have to decide if I can re-coat it, or if I should just throw in the towel on that pair.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 2 months later...