Anti-war March 15th February 2003

Hi all, For anyone in the uk that is interested there is an anti-war march planned for Saturday 15th February in London. I am going and trying to get as many of my friends together as possible, I've already got a good response. None of us want this (or should I say the majority) so we should all make a stand to show it. I have never marched before in my life, I have always been an armchair critic, but I feel this is important enough for me to get out there and make my mark. The Government don't want this to happen which says an awful lot about their fears that the public in general do not want this war and the potential political harm this could do to our present government, but we voted them in and they should listen. Hope I haven't offended anyone here but we all need to pull together and show them that we are above and beyond violence and destruction and I for one do not want my son to end up having to fight I want him to continue with his education and dreams of a happy future. Love to you all Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Cool Suzy. I never normally do these things I'm a bit of an armchair protester but I do think this is important this time. I only hope people don't get put off from going knowing that there is going to be a big turn out because in this case the more there is the more the Government will have to take note. Love and peace Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

I'd like to go on that. I haven't been on these before ,but I feel America is very wrong. If they want to be even handed police then fair enough, given UN consensus, but they're misusing their power acting like a school bully all in their own interests over oil. Britain should have no part in it.

Just to let everyone know, there is a similar march organised for Sydney on Sunday 16th Feb starting at noon. Just like the earlier posts, I have never attended any kind of protest in my life, but I will be at this one. There are better ways to solve the Iragi problem. There is never any excuse to drop bombs. Its not Americans thats the problem, its the madmen in the White House

Its not Americans thats the problem, its the madmen in the White House

I fully support that.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Latest news has it that it is going to be even bigger than the countryside march a few months ago. Don't know how they guess at these things but that is a hell of a lot of folk.....Don't think Ill wear my heels though! Suzy

Love seeketh not itself to please,

Nor for itself hath any care;

But for another gives its ease,

And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

I will definitely be there see www.stopwar.org.uk

We cannot allow Blair to start a war without the support of the country or even, it seems, Parliament. Saddam is a danger of course, but so are many other dodgy regimes, some of which are supported by the US and / or UK, in an incredible display of double standards.

Killing thousands of innocent Iraquis is not the solution. This war must be stopped. The other major casualty of this would be the Un itself, withoutwhich the world would be an infinitely more dangerous and less stable place.

The march starts at midday from the Embankment. My colleagues and I are going to meet at Waterloo and walk over as I should imagine that Embankment will be packed. Yamyam and Suzie, I had thought of wearing heels but I think it's going to be a long time on foot but I haven't ruled that one out yet. I just hope people don't suddenly start thinking that because there is going to be a big turn out that they don't have to come as I feel that the more there is the more the papers will write and the more the Government will have to listen. I also hope that the Government don't send in trouble makers to turn this into a disaster. Saying that I cannot believe how many people are going on this I just found out that my mum (73) is also going and my brother too. Wanted to take my little one but given the toilet situation :lol: and the amount of people I will be leaving her at home. Love and peace Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

Embankment and Euston tube stations will be shut on the 15th of Feb, for obvious reasons... just fyi...

SH

Hi all,

For anyone in the uk that is interested there is an anti-war march planned for Saturday 15th March in London.

I'm confused. Is the protest march on February 15 or March 15? Both days fall on a Saturday this year. I have a feeling that March may be too late.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

It's on the 15th Feb. I think "March" was a typo on Julietta's part. I can how you'd get confused... having a march in February doesn't make as much sense as having a march in March :lol:

SH

Edit: According to www.stopwar.org.uk it is 15th Feb. According to the flyer handed around my college it is also 15th Feb. Safe to say it's the 15th of Feb!

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

:lol::( God sorry guys it is this saturday 15th February. I could have started another one. I have edited the confusing post. Didn't know those stations were closed but our lot are meeting up at Waterloo at 10.30 and walking over. We thought it best to go early as the turn out is apparently going to be massive. Sorry for the confusion PJ. Nikk - ditto - exactly how I feel about the whole thing Love Julie xxx

Let calm be widespread

It certainly looks like being a big 'Do' lets hope the weather is reasonable as rain will (Shame!!!!) keep some people away. We must look out for each other.. Suzy

Well you know I did! And it was staggering. I was well tired when I got back...met lots of great folk too. Looked through the papers ..but no photo of me!!! :lol: Suzy

There were about 1 million people there... you can't realistically expect for one of the photos to include a photo of you.... there's a 1 in a million chance! Sorry to disappoint... CITV came to my primary school once to some filming... I was disappointed when I didn't see myself on TV, but I was kind of expecting not to anyway... SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

It was an amazing experience and so peaceful. I met loads of nice people too and we all said the same thing and that was that none of us had been on a march before but felt that we needed to be heard. Suz you know what I was so tired that I went to bed at 8 and I ached like hell the next day. I kept meaning to look at the news and the papers but just kept getting side tracked. I never buy papers because I think they are depressing but would have liked to seen photos. Will have to go to my parents once they are flu free to see those. I loved reading the banners. My favourite was one of Tony Blair with a tea cup on his head with the slogan "make tea not war" I'd go again. I still feel the same and I guess that an awful lot more folk would turn up next time. Take care Love Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

I didn't see the "tea not war " poster! but I like it! I didn't really think that my photo would be there but we were being photographed quite a lot. I think that there was some sort of "celeb" in the front of us but don't ask me who. I feel annoyed that we have been attacked for so called support of Saddam....they couldn't be more wrong. I just do not think we are being told the truth and if GWB or T.B told me it was raining then I would have to go and look. Suzy

Suzy I didn't realise that we were being labelled Saddam supporters, do they think that by insulting us that we are goin to change our minds? I don't buy newspapers because if I want to read fiction I buy a novel. I hate all these spin doctors that governments send in to try and brainwash us all, I resent the fact that they think we are stupid and do not have minds of our own. I personally went on that march to say that I don't care who Tony Blair or George Bush is, I don't think they have the right to dictate to me how I should live my life and that I don't think they have the right to force us as a nation into a war that the majority of us do not want, against people we know nothing of really other than what the papers say via the government. All this is supposed to be against terrorism, but what do they expect will happen if we attack their country - more terrorism obviously, when they retaliate. Lets face it if one innocent person dies because of this then that is one person too many as far as I am concerned. I am supposed to live in a democracy which means expressing what I do or do not want or like - I marched to say that I was against Blair and Bush's dictatorships, and we marched with between 1 - 2 million others who felt like us (depending on who you speak to - the organisers said there were 2 million of us on the day). There is another London march on the 7th March for women against the war and I'll be going on that one too if you want to come Suzy. I will post more when I find out about it. PJ Hi, what I have written above is more or less the feeling of everyone I spoke to on that march and there were people from all walks of life and all ages from babies (well ok they don't have opinions) but right up to the elderly with their walking sticks, so yes Britain as a whole regardless what your media says over there is dead against this war. Thank God in a way for the internet as we can really express the truth. Love and peace to you all Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

I agree with you all the way. I do read the papers, and here I will say that I mean papers not tabloids. I do not think that the way the news is written influences in my views. The spin has become so common place and quite frankly so poor that it is easy to see throught it. I am not anti- American either. I studied there for five years and lived there another five after, so I have many friends there. I have the deepest distrust for the Bush Administration as do a lot of people over there that I keep in touch with. I feel now that Blair is begining to feel the heat, he is a politician and the polls will start to worry him. I admire the French stand, maybe a little over the top in the way it is shown! I wish we could get a leader that isn't hell bent on trying to become a new Churchillian figure. We spend far too much on defence. And our future lies with Europe not with the States Keep me informed on the March in march(!) Not sure yet about being able to make it. But I'm promising myself a weekend in the City....Night at the Opera Suzy xxxx