Sticky labels on the soles of new shoes

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but whenever I buy a new pair of shoes or boots they usually come with a lovely informative sticky label on the arch of the sole. Now I don't mind this sticky label, but what I do mind is the industrial strength glue they use to keep it stuck to the sole. This invariably means that you can never get it off with one gentle pull and I usually spend ages picking the darn thing off or scrubbing with soapy water.............oh my poor nails :( One of my pet peeves is seeing women walking around with these sticky labels still attached to the soles of their shoes. Picture the scene......a lady on a business lunch with a few of her colleagues.........she's wearing a very smart tailored skirt suit, sheer hose and expensive shoes..........she crosses her legs and............aaaaargh...............a sticky label screams at you :lol: Anyway, enough of me going on. Becks xxxx

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Becks! I think that the sight of one these "lovely" labels makes the image of the shoe a little undignified, possibly a bit "violated" as well. Probably the wrong word there but it was the cloest one I could think of! :lol: Also, many times, when you remove the label there is a horrible "residue" of glue stuck on the sole which in many cases can look even worse! Luv Jay xx

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Have you ever had a time when the wonderful shoe manufacturers have placed the sticker right in the centre of the sole and not on the arch! I have and it felt very funny! i had one slippy shoe and one sticky shoe! :lol:

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Try turps or meths on a cloth rather than soapy water. It works on some quite well, but others I find do peel off very easily. I think it depends on how long they have been stuck on as well. I reckon some people keep them on deliberately to show they've got new shoes, and of course you can see them on the instep with high heels rather better than other types of shoe.

I went to a friend's wedding not long ago and the Bride wore a beautiful pair of white laced boots. And there when she knelt at the altar were the stuck on labels! A lot of guests were checking their shoes out at the reception. Suzyxxxx

Love seeketh not itself to please,

Nor for itself hath any care;

But for another gives its ease,

And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

Hi Suzy, I saw something like that on a 'caught on camera' show hosted by Lisa Riley - the Bride and Groom both knelt at before the vicar and on each of their soles were the words 'I' and 'Do'.........it brought a smile to my face and it made the guests laugh too :lol: Becks xxxx

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

Be careful exactly what cleaning agent you do use to remove the glue, and where it goes. I tried getting some glue off a shoe once, and got some cleaner on the shoe upper. It attacked the colouring (gold coloured leather) quite badly in a small patch.

excuse much, anal or something? Worrying about whether virtually transparent labels are on the outside on the instep or arch of the shoe...Give me strength :lol::( :rofl:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

excuse much, anal or something? Worrying about whether virtually transparent labels are on the outside on the instep or arch of the shoe...Give me strength

Bah! Virtually transparent labels, I'm happy with, especially if they have that 'squashed gerbil' symbol on. We're talking about the huge, 1 inch square labels they put on shoes here, which shout <font size="+6">yuk!</font> at you with every single step!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

It seems you attempt at a font size increase failed there, yamyam :lol: I got a new pair of boots yesterday, and both of the boots had two labels on... one saying the sale price, the other giving the size and normal price, and of course the obligatory bar code. All was removed swiftly once I got them home, thankfully without too much effort. The non-sale stickers were a little more tricky to remove, but I managed it. Unfortunately they left stick marks, but being on the inside of the arch, I'm not too fussed. It's not outwardly visible or offending, so I'm happy :( SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Becky I thought I was the only one who hated those labels and as for

Oh yes - I almost forgot that lovely residue that collects more fluff than a Dyson hoover

Marks and Spencer are the worst I thought I trodden on my dog with the amount of fluff they accumalated :lol:

Love

Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

It seems you attempt at a font size increase failed there, yamyam :lol:

Yeah, made me look rather dumb...

I got a new pair of boots yesterday, and both of the boots had two labels on... one saying the sale price, the other giving the size and normal price, and of course the obligatory bar code. All was removed swiftly once I got them home, thankfully without too much effort. The non-sale stickers were a little more tricky to remove, but I managed it. Unfortunately they left stick marks, but being on the inside of the arch, I'm not too fussed. It's not outwardly visible or offending, so I'm happy :(

SH

As long as you managed to get them removed, that's the main thing!

I hate those damn labels!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 1 month later...

I used to use a product called Goo Gone, a liquid that was especially formulated for removing sticky residue from labels, adhesive tape, etc. It worked quite well but when I tried to buy a bottle recently I couldn't find any in the local stores.

Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone (MEK) works well. 'Course it also takes part of the plastic insole with it.! :wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I'd hesitate to use MEK on many surfaces. It's too good at dissolving plastics, etc. and will ruin the finish on many kinds of plastic, painted surfaces, etc. I don't know what the active ingredients were in the Good Gone product, but it was safe to use on most surfaces, and it did the job on adhesive residues

I bought a pair of shoes in the Next sale this winter (no surprise there....) and they had stuck the label inside the shoe. It is virtually impossible to remove without taking off the top layer of insole. Thanks Next, my classy looking shoes now have a tatty looking label in the shoe. At least it doesn't show when walking, just every time you put it on. Perhaps I could put another insole over the top - but more hassle Mention of goo-gone reminds me that the US Model Railway mags recommend it for cleaning track. I've never seen it over here.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

that's the Zip Rail Cleaner, apply to wheels of the loco, not on traction tyres, and run it around. Then wipe rails with a cloth later :wink: I've found that acetone (nail polish remover) works well on sticky labels and doesn't destroy the finish of the sole.

• 2 weeks later...