Photographic gear and techniques

jmc

I'm actually going to get the Canon EOS 5D, with a FULL FRAME sensor, which will give me the image sharpness I need for everything from advertising to fashion pictures.

Regarding photoshop, has anyone seen this hilarious site:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/

I should have clarified that I'm getting the EOS 5D Mark II.

At least once my name is up on the ultra long waiting list!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 1 month later...

I should have clarified that I'm getting the EOS 5D Mark II.

At least once my name is up on the ultra long waiting list!

That is a very nice camera. You cannot underestimate the importance of the full frame sensor and I was thinking of getting one myself, but I got a Canon Digital Rebel XSi for Christmas and it will get me through until either a) the waiting list shrinks, :thumbsup: the prices fall a bit, or c) a second or third generation camera from Canon is released with the full-frame sensor.

The Rebel XSi was a gift to replace my XTi, which I found a way to basically destroy. The nice thing is the EF lenses will work on either.

I am planning on getting a 100mm 2.8 macro and the 85mm 1.8 this spring. I love macro photography and do more portraits than anything. I do have a 70-200 2.8 that works nice for portraits, but it is just way too heavy to lug around unless I need a long focal length. When I am made of money, I will get the 24-70m 2.8. My idea is to mount the 70-200 on my Rebel for example and the 24-70 on the full frame Canon when I get it and be ready for about anything.

Of course I will likely carry a film camera as well, knowing me...

Style is built from the ground up!

I just parted with my XTi / 400D as it had niggly faults which were driving me nuts. Got an excellent deal on an olympus E-410 with three lenses for £200 new in the sales. Camcorder wise I have just upgraded from Hi8 to 1080 HD with a Sony HD Hard drive recorder. £199 in the sales. Andi

Smile and the whole world smiles with you, Fart and your on your own!!!

From what I have encountered so far, the XSi 450D is much improved over the XTi 400D. But I understand about the faults...I just write them off as equipment. Great deal on the Olympus however! Hope you enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well folks, I finally got my camera- a Canon XSI. The question I have is what do members on this board recommend for picture hosting (online photo album)?

I have used them all, and have finally settled at share.ovi.com. Unlimited, free, superb performance, makes automatically thumbnails for use on forums etc.

Flickr is not bad either but they have limits, like they show only the 200 most recent pics.

What's all the fuss about?

• 4 months later...

I just had a major score on e-Bay. For $450, I got a Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM, a Canon 50mm EF 1.8, and a 28mm EF 2.8. I had been coveting the Canon EF 85mm 1.2 for a long time, but at well over $1,000, I really didn't think the extra 2/3 stops were really necessary. Besides, I am only using a Canon 450D Rebel XSi at the moment, which is not a full frame sensor, so these lenses will stop down enough for what I am currently doing. I hope to try them this week my next round of pictures to post. They all seem to be great lenses for the price - not perfessional quality obviously, but for the higher end amature that I am aspiring to be they will give me many new options.

I have a Canon D30 or is 30D ( The 8mp one) i had all Minolta gear before it stolen ;) a while back and then got canon back in return. Its a huge shame ever since i got this really really nice Canon i just havent had the time to take it out and really see what it can do. I hope to see if i get any good results at the coming rallys and car shows.

Actually, in the place I have set up for pictures, none of the focal lengths work, so I am back to using my cheap zoom lens, but I am going to take them out next week for a good few days of shooting.