SQ's Professional Style With A Twist

ShockQueen

I'm amazed things have gone so well this year with my fashion choices. Anyone who says you can't have your own style and still be professional must be in a very limited work environment. Perhaps I'm just lucky where I am, but they don't mind the little things I do. I now regularly wear women's jeans with nice tops, paint my nails, have nice moderate heels on (4" or less - no thin stilettos), longish hair, and now have 2 piercings in each ear again. What I find interesting about this whole style change, is that I've gotten to know more of the women on the floor on a conversational level and have visited with them much more than I think I would have othewise. Perhaps it's the similar interests, but some say they keep an eye out to see what new style I'm sporting that day. I don't make a huge deal about it - it's just another set of clothes as far as I'm concerned, and I work as hard as I usually do - nothing changed there. I do count myself very fortunate that this place allows a degree of latitude as far as style goes as long as it's kept professional. It's also guided my choices in clothing to more well-done styles, which is a nice side benefit too. No skirts or anything outlandish for me though - I like what I've achieved thus far, and it's helped out immeasurably as far as being able to be relaxed and it's been a real shot in the self-esteem arm as well. SQ -still floating on cloud nine - most likely never to come back down

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

"I do count myself very fortunate that this place allows a degree of latitude as far as style goes as long as it's kept professional."

Fortunate indeed!

Sounds like you have a great work place. It’s also a reflection on you as a good worker that they are willing to be tolerant.

Much luck in your good fortune. :winkiss:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

SQ: Good for you, my friend! I'm sure you must be quite the happy camper to be in an environment where you're valued more for the work you do than for the clothes you wear. I had been treated the very same way at the previous place where I worked little over three years ago, so I'm quite familiar with the feelings you're enjoying, having regularly worn pumps in all sorts of colors, including fire engine red and neon green, and was always complimented on my sense of style. Well, I hope you'll continue your experience at work all the more in the future.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I remember you in those days, Jeff. Always with purpose, confidence and a whole lot of style. Are the picks of you back in those days still available here on hhplace? I'm sure there's a whole new couple of generations of members here that would love to really know how a man can look really good while wearing high heels.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I remember you in those days, Jeff. Always with purpose, confidence and a whole lot of style. Are the picks of you back in those days still available here on hhplace? I'm sure there's a whole new couple of generations of members here that would love to really know how a man can look really good while wearing high heels.

Thanks for the compliment! Well, I still have all those old school pics that I had taken years ago on my hard drive, even though I no longer have the actual shoes I wore back then. I'll have to see what I can do about displaying them here. Stay tuned!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a rather nice compliment today when coming back from lunch today. Today was my blues & greys day, so I wore my blue flare jeans with a dusty blue turtleneck, my nails done up pearl grey with shimmer topcoat, and my 3.5" Payless twist bootine boots. The one gal looked at me and told me I rock my shoes good. :-) The ladies have been so wonderful and not said any bad things once. Still no bad reactions from anyone in the office, and everyone has pretty much gotten used to me again now. I guess they just like to see people who aren't like everyone else. :-)

I'm glad I could help! I think it really depends on where you heel, but as long as you make the outfit complete, then it's truly an asset to invest in. :-) SQ "Professional heeler" *grin*

• 1 year later...

I've gotten about as bold as I dare these days, but I think today was spot-on perfect. Flare jeans (dark) powder-blue short-sleeve plain shirt under open black button-up short-sleeve shirt Cloudwalkers Claire criss-cross mary janes teal nail polish, nice earrings, and a touch of 'scara and gloss. I think it went together pretty nicely!

• 3 weeks later...

Over my weekend, I found a couple of wonderful denim jackets at Catherine's - one in dark rinse denim, which go with my flare jeans, and a black denim one that will go well with my dress slacks. So now I have another layer that I can throw together and mix/match with the rest of my stuff! Definitely love Catherine's, as they don't mind me shopping there at all - it's just more money to them after all - but they have FUN with it!

• 1 month later...

Today I broke out my Flair-2023 black patent platform boots to wear with my flare jeans and a night light-blue top with some nice butterfly patterns on it. Yes, it's springtime, and so it's time for lighter things. I really can't do sandals due to "ugly-toe syndrome", but can still do closed-toe styles and boots OK. Got some nice compliments from my colleagues along the way, so that felt good. Even though these are patent leather, they stretch to a degree, so they are getting more comfortable with wear, as I don't have a boot stretcher (yes, I know I can get them online). Just an overall relaxing day of answering questions and writing emails. Definitely a nice way to end my week.

Today I decided to be two-toned with a dash of color. I just did my nails in Flashbulb Fuschia yesterday, so I didn't want to change it again today. The rest of me was black & white though. I did eye shadow going white to black from inner lid to outer lid, and then a white mock turtleneck with flare jeans and my black/white patent spectator platform pumps. Just enough color in the right places for a day of desk-jockeying and answering letters. :-)

• 1 month later...

Today it was a bit warmer out, so since we're dressing up for visitors this week, I wore my black dress slacks with my black-patent Flair-2023 boots and a nice fuschia top with my usual coating of makeup and polish - pretty simple outfit, although I think the makeup takes the most time to get going with, but I think it's worth the effort. I was told that people like me for WHO I am, not WHAT I am, although WHAT I am is one happy camper.

I took this pic myself at the BioLife center where I donate plasma 2x/week, and then I return home before going to work. Sorry about the quality - I'll take a proper camera next time - AND get my heels in the shot too! I wore my 2.5" rounded-toe mary-jane pumps from Payless this day.

post-29-133522915234_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I decided to wear this new top that I got online, along with my black slacks from Lane Bryant and black patent 4" pumps - looks pretty nice in my opinion, although with this material, I can see I'll be investing in an iron VERY soon.

• 3 months later...

Today was a daring, fun day! I decided to head to work in my nice fuschia blouse, black slacks, and my 4" Jante red-patent platform mary-janes (very slight platform) with rounded toes. I walked in, and the first person I walked up to was my supervisor, who looked down and said "very cute!" with a huge smile on her face. I told her that since October was national breast cancer awareness month, I'd be doing something pink every day, and maybe tomorrow I'd break out my pink heels - she said "Good idea!" I then found out that one of the sups wants to get the rest of them all together, all wearing heels, to their meeting with our manager, and one of them (another male sup) may want to borrow my mary-janes! LOL! I would love to be a fly on the wall during that meeting. Yes....we're a twisted bunch here, but it's why I love going to work each day!

You are so lucky to be working in an office and being able to wear whatever you like without retribution. And the fact that you are receiving compliments on your attire is an additional plus. Please keep us postes as to the outfits you wear to work, especially hig heels, and any conversation you engage in concerning your attire.

Thanks all for the kind words. It's been a gradual, long climb to the top of my cloud, but it's been worth it. I just picked up 4 new polish colors this week - light pink, white, light blue, and a sparkly GREEN! We'll see what outfits I come up with that I can wear these with now! Since tomorrow is Sunday, and not much goes on, I might grab my flare jeans and my new 4" Hannah Buckle clogs from Avenue with a nice sparkly top and the usual war-paint - then off to take on the day!

Today was Pink Sunday - so I celebrated my new fuschia polish by pairing it up with my nice fuschia blouse, and then I wanted to bop out my pink pearl pumps with the gold heels on them as a kind of fun thing. I need to go back and get more practice on these, as I've only worn out 5" boots before, which have more ankle support. For as little walking around as I do though, it was worth it, and as long as I slowed down a bit and carried my sway a bit, I was just fine. Oh.......and the ladies on the floor LOVED them. :-) I'll update the posting with an actual worn picture later on when I get home. I just wanted to show you what the style looked like.

post-29-133522926438_thumb.jpg