Curious...

radiodave

Would you wear heels as much if they were more accepted?  

725 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wear heels as much if they were more accepted?

• Yes! I'd wear them as much as I can.
    • I'd wear them if the occasion called for them.
    • I probably wouldn't wear them much.
    • No, I wouldn't wear them.
    • I'd wear low heels
    • I'd wear the highest I could comfortably manage.
    • I'd wear the highest I can find.

As a new "heeler" I wear heels whenever I can but only at home...I need some training to wear them greatly...but I love the feeling of being heeled...I might become addicted in a near future...is it normal?! :)

I might become addicted in a near future...is it normal?! :)

It is normal...You will become addicted like most of us here (welcome on board).

In the meantime, try not to spend too much on heels (I know: It is easier said than done :) )

Don't worry and enjoy heeling !

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely. At the moment I can only wear what I can "get away with" from a society point of view. Wearing heels or possibly a skirt to work, however elegant and even manly, is totally out of the question in what I do. It would make quite a splash. Strange enough it would probably not be interpreted as gay, but more likely that I have finally gone nuts. As I like to be taken serious, it is completely out. Sniff. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

At the moment I can only wear what I can "get away with" from a society point of view. Wearing heels or possibly a skirt to work [...] is totally out of the question in what I do.

And still I wonder. Why is it only I can wear 6-8cm tapered heels to large corporate clients and be a partner in a high-tech company, pitch project proposals, etc. without any problems whatsoever?

I can get away with it because I think I can. (I think.)

• 4 weeks later...

I am just waiting for the time when fashion shows will start showing men wearing thigh high boots, and have them labeled as "uni-sex" and man, I'll be all over it. I am ready with my thigh-highs.

Kneehighs has already posted pictures and links to men wearing high boots on the runway in some of the fashion shows he's viewed. Just search his postings and you'll easily find them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I am just waiting for the time when fashion shows will start showing men wearing thigh high boots, and have them labeled as "uni-sex" and man, I'll be all over it. I am ready with my thigh-highs.

Yes we are all waiting in the wings to get out there in our thighboots.:chuckle:

It is happening in places but it wont be too long i dont think before it goes more mainstream.

Thighhighguy:-) I agree with you. It is starting in spots in the world, and if we keep on heeling publically, sooner or later, it will become more mainstream than it is today. Our world is changing and more people are accepting men in heels now than years ago when this site was first started. Hang in there. Time heals, (or is that---HEELS all)? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Well, I don't wait for fashion shows to wear whatever I want, most notably, thigh high boots which I've already worn in public, nor do I wait or care about obtaining society's permission for what we do to become "mainstream". Chances are we'll be dead and gone long before that happens---IF it happens! To hell with that! I'm simply going out and wearing what I want, right here, right now!

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Some may be very shy of wearing any heel in public but they may want to consider buying as many of their heels as possible in person. By showing different businesses that a man is as interested in buying heels as a woman these businesses, if they are smart, will take notice and start catering to men. Many here have already noticed this and also documented their very positive experiences. Over time things will and have already started to change.

• 3 weeks later...

Some may be very shy of wearing any heel in public but they may want to consider buying as many of their heels as possible in person. By showing different businesses that a man is as interested in buying heels as a woman these businesses, if they are smart, will take notice and start catering to men. Many here have already noticed this and also documented their very positive experiences. Over time things will and have already started to change.

A few weeks ago I was in a shoe store trying on high heels. The sales clerk, a woman I would say to be in her forties wearing high heels herself, was very cordial to me as I tried on high heels. She rang up my order, finished the transaction, and was very nice to me the entire time. Yes, I would say things have definitely changed and for the better.

I'm not sure I've ever read any accounts on hhplace where salespeople (especially women) haven't at least been professional, if not completely friendly. There may be a few (I'd guess a percent or two) that 'get off' on guys in women's shoes. Maybe then 15 percent or so that like shoes in general, regardless of which gender is wearing them. I think though the overwhelming majority just consider "a sale a sale", and don't care which gender is making a purchase. I could maybe see having an issue at a more 'female-only' store (say a women's shoe boutique), where other (women) customers might be expecting more intimate shopping experience. However, at a store like a Payless (that sells shoes for the entire family), and even a department store (say a Macy's), where 5' away might be men's loafers instead of women's pumps, I'm not sure there could be an issue. And of course a perfect excuse (for those so lucky) would be, "My wife and I have exactly the same shoe size. If a pair fits me, they'll fit her."

I'm fortunate of having a local Payless store (there aren't many other stores near me that cater to women's size 12) with a very nice and understanding sales lady. They get shipments in on Tuesdays and Fridays and she knows that I prefer higher heels so she will actually put back new arrivals that have a high heel for me. If they have a BOGO (buy one and get one half off) coming up she will even hold them until the sale starts. She has admitted that she has a number of other male customers that she does the same thing for. Super lady but unfortunately, about six months ago, Payless began reducing the in-store inventory for the larger sizes. It used to be my size took up about one third of the row (10 - 12 pair wide) now it's been reduce to three or four pairs wide. It's even worse at some of the other Payless stores I visit. You'd be lucky if you find two pair wide in size 12.

• 3 weeks later...

I could maybe see having an issue at a more 'female-only' store (say a women's shoe boutique), where other (women) customers might be expecting more intimate shopping experience. However, at a store like a Payless (that sells shoes for the entire family), and even a department store (say a Macy's), where 5' away might be men's loafers instead of women's pumps, I'm not sure there could be an issue.

I buy at Nine West all the time in person. Nobody seems to mind. Some of the women in there trying on shoes even give nice comments and ask for comments on which pair they should buy. Others in the store act oblivious, but never a bad reaction.

Many of the sales people love shoes and don't mind sharing that.

Both Mickey and I think that Nine West have some great styles and very good looking shoes and boots. She has had many pairs of Nine West shoes in the past. She says that they were very comfortable and quite good looking and she received many compliments when she wore them. No wonder Happy Feat likes them so well and shops there often. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fortunate of having a local Payless store (there aren't many other stores near me that cater to women's size 12) with a very nice and understanding sales lady. They get shipments in on Tuesdays and Fridays and she knows that I prefer higher heels so she will actually put back new arrivals that have a high heel for me. If they have a BOGO (buy one and get one half off) coming up she will even hold them until the sale starts. She has admitted that she has a number of other male customers that she does the same thing for. Super lady but unfortunately, about six months ago, Payless began reducing the in-store inventory for the larger sizes. It used to be my size took up about one third of the row (10 - 12 pair wide) now it's been reduce to three or four pairs wide. It's even worse at some of the other Payless stores I visit. You'd be lucky if you find two pair wide in size 12.

I know what you mean. There was a Payless where the sales clerk had begun to know me and had no problem with my trying things on, etc. Alas, that store stopped carrying 12's altogether, and now has a very limited number of 11's. I keep hoping things will get better soon.

• 7 months later...

I know what you mean. There was a Payless where the sales clerk had begun to know me and had no problem with my trying things on, etc. Alas, that store stopped carrying 12's altogether, and now has a very limited number of 11's. I keep hoping things will get better soon.

Do you think that there might be fewer heels in 12 & 11 because more guys are buying them? Just a thought... But yes - it does seem as if stores don't carry many heels in the larger sizes. What do the taller girls (the ones who actually wear 11's, 12's, etc.) do? Do they just not wear heels, or do they just have to accept that they don't have much of a selection?

I voted for #2 - I would definitely wear heels, but mostly depending on the occasion. For casual wear, I'd probably stick to regular guys' shoes or sneakers (especially with shorts). Maybe flip-flops with a wedge heel when going to the pool, beach, etc. With jeans, I would wear boots or clogs/mules with a 2" or 3" heel. Dressing up, I would wear higher heel (4" & up) pumps, slingbacks, boots, etc. when going out. For work, probably would wear guys' shoes most of the time - maybe boots with a 3" heel. Would also get some of the womens' oxford shoes that look like guys' dress shoes with heels. I'll have to get some of those soon. I'm really hoping that heels for men continues gaining acceptance - I enjoy wearing heels & would love to wear them in public.

Hey Shark: What I and a couple other people have noticed locally is that the major chains seem to be limiting their stock to those sizes with the largest turnover. Places that sell work boots have fewer selections in the smaller mens sizes as an example. For me, trying to find a 7 1/2 to 8 in a mens work boot (steel toe) is virtually impossible, and those that have them also have women buying them too. (Note. Most work boots I have had are worse fitting than high heels. They have pretty muck killed my little toes) You also see more women buying mens sneakers.tennis.athletic shoes when it comes to larger womens sizes. Mens sizes are usually 9 and up though 14 whereas womens sizes seem to be limited to size 11. Fortunate for me, I'm usually a womens size 10, which means I still have a decent selection available.

"Hoping for a normal life and not just a fashion phase as much as the girls"

Two years on it is much the same and being sensible as most people have found it is liken to "horses for courses". There are things that really is NOT sensible to try to do in heels so stay with the "practical" for that task.

Regarding Heelster comment about steel toe work boots I agree whole heartedly, it seems these are far from designed for comfort.

Al

• 1 month later...

ALL men wear heels and it's totaly accepted...but no one calls them heels.

Biker/electrician boots are steel toe leather boots with a 2.5" heel and a 1" platform.

Cowboy boots have a 2.5" heel.

Most steel toe boots have a 1.5"-2" heel with 0.5" platform.

Riding boots which is either cowboy boots and biker/electrician.

I got a pair of these. Harley Davidson

---------

Forgot to mention Combat boots. They too have a 2.5" heel with 1" platform.

I know it's been awhile since you posted, but I have to disagree on the heights.

I wear steel toe, electrician, and most other work wear. I havent seen anything in the last few years with more than a 1/2" front sole and maybe a 1" heel when it comes to work boots. You don't see much steel shank soles either. I've worn western riding/underslung heels for over thirty years, and within the last few years, you rarely find anything over a 1 3/4" heel, and usually straight block chunky.

The Harley boots you pictured are not as common anymore as they have thinned out the sole overall, and besides, the height difference front to back is minimal.

Consider this - Walmart is now one of the biggest sellers of work boots. They don't raise prices on their boots. They cut out material. They keep getting shorter, thinner and cheaper. Besides that, most people want their work boots to feel like their Nike's.

Take a look next time your out and about.

Sorry about the rant, but I've done a lot of boot shopping in the last few years. When a western wear tack shop sales associate tells me that men who want higher heels - underslung, and smaller sizes go to the womens aisle, you start looking at the trends. Mens footwear is going flat.

I would wear them as much as I could. The higher and the more 'girlie' the better but obviously to compliment the clothes I am wearing. Also having short legs wearing heels brings my overall body into more proportion allowing me to wear trousers with flared bottoms which again makes my legs look slimmer. If I were a woman any fashion advisor would tell me to do this to improve my look but as I am a man there is no equivalent option.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

So, this bids a question for the guys: If guys wearing heels was completely accepted, and it was perfectly normal for guys to be in heels, no matter how feminine they looked, would you still wear them for the heck of it? I'm still in the "novelty" phase, where I'm getting to wear heels because I think they look cool and they were always considered "taboo". But, if I had been a teenager and started wearing heels about the same time women start wearing them, I don't think I'd be as "wowed" by them now, so I wonder if I would have as big a collection as I do now.

I guess I've been in the "novelty" phase of wearing stilettos most all of my life. I just can't seem to wear them enough to get tired of them, even after I've been publicly heeling for a good part of the day. I did vote for wearing them if the occasion called for them, but the occasion is subject to my consideration. I've worn high heels up to the eqivalent of 4.5", while grocery shopping and enjoyed walking up and down the isles and occasionally exposing all of the high heel pump when I stoop down or extend to get an item. Most people don't know what they want to do when they see a guy walking in stiletto heels, so I get smiles on approaches, double takes after they have passed, or they completely ignore me, should they be in the same isle area.

The taboo that we talk about is more in our own minds. Sure there are those who are against men wearing heels, but in this time more are in the mindset of live and let live (just don't stay around me when your heeling). This attitude is far better than the old thinking that males can't wear heels at all. Changing attitudes can be slow, but the more male heeling is promoted in the public consciousness and actually dealt with on a person to person basis, the better the chance male heeling will become apart of daily living. Women are working hard to have their choices, why can't men see that they have to be just as active in keeping their freedom of choice alive or at least equal to the choices women have in order to be complete human beings. Again, men and women aren't as different as society is trying to indoctrinate us. They are able to have desires, talents, feelings, and personalities with their own points of view and empathy which makes them individuals, not aliens.

would wear as often as i can..... maybe not just heels but just be able to have all the styles to choose from is fantastic..... i've currently have a huge collection of heels now.... i can't imagine how many more i would have if I could actually wear them out in public on a daily basis....

The taboo that we talk about is more in our own minds. Sure there are those who are against men wearing heels, but in this time more are in the mindset of live and let live (just don't stay around me when your heeling). This attitude is far better than the old thinking that males can't wear heels at all. Changing attitudes can be slow, but the more male heeling is promoted in the public consciousness and actually dealt with on a person to person basis, the better the chance male heeling will become apart of daily living.

There is nothing but truth in what you have written, Histiletto. However, as you point out, the fear is "more in our own minds" is the real key to successfully wearing high heels or other woman's style shoes, in public. As long as any male that has the overwhelming desire to wear high heels as their normal. everyday footwear, gives in to their "inner fear" to be ridiculed for their choice, their desire to wear heels on the street will not happen.

Unless, or until, males that want to wear their heels out and about, get over the fear of being the focus of ridicule and hazing for their choices, it's not going to happen.

Those of us here, that have been wearing our "girls shoes" in public for many years and are still around to talk about it, can repeat this "FACT" over and over, saying it again and again, it all begins with the man that fears wearing his heels outside of his house, takes his first step out of his front door, walks down the street wearing them, he'll never succeed wearing heels in public.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely... I'd probably wear them just as much as any young attractive woman would. I'd surely be sporting other stereotypically feminine clothing items as well, but I know that is beyond the scope of this forum.

Unless, or until, males that want to wear their heels out and about, get over the fear of being the focus of ridicule and hazing for their choices, it's not going to happen.

Those of us here, that have been wearing our "girls shoes" in public for many years and are still around to talk about it, can repeat this "FACT" over and over, saying it again and again, it all begins with the man that fears wearing his heels outside of his house, takes his first step out of his front door, walks down the street wearing them, he'll never succeed wearing heels in public.

Bubba, I apologize for this late response to you post. You are so absolutely correct. And look at all of the members here at High Heel Place who did take the first steps to wear high heels and feminine high heels in public now do it on a regular or at least semi-regular basis. If someone sees us and grins, chuckles, whispers, snickers, rolls eyes, so what! You did what you wanted to do by showing everyone that you are happy to be wearing high heels in public. And keep in mind, many that do react negatively, probably envy the man in high heels.