Advice for a newbie

kikilamour

I would like advice from the more seasoned veterans, male and female.

I am a 27 year old female who loves heels. However I like more hidden platforms or platform shoes. I love the way my legs look in them and all that jazz

However I just need pointers with some of my shoes especially those that cause pain at the end of the night.

I find I put a pair of shoes on (Aldo patent Atlantic city) and my little toe feels like it is on fire almost immediately. Please note that this is a size up too. However I wear Dune/Office or any other shoes and I don’t feel like I am in towering heels and dance all night.

One other thing that scares the living daylights out of me is walking on strange surfaces. In London especially at street lights we have an incline which is designed so that wheel chairs/prams can get through easily. I am also terrified of skidding on surfaces

Last but not least is other people, I know I look decent in heels but at the same time when I go out especially when I am getting to my destination the looks on some womens faces is similar to that of a voodoo priestess wishing ill on someone

So to summarise my post, how do I deal with :winkiss:

a) pain on my little toe

:nervous: inclines and strange surfaces

c) heel grip ability

d) other people who wish me to fall flat on my face

Any tips you guys

Hi there, great post, I'll try and reply as best I can :winkiss: Pain on your toe: some shoes are worse than others, and some are fine. Is it just a small toe box pushing your toe in? How long have you had those shoes? It might get less painful over time. I nearly bought a pair of these, I'd be interested to know if they do get better. What size shoe are you? You say you don't feel towering in Office/Dune shoes (both brands I also love), but do you mean that's a bad thing, or just that you don't feel the pain of wearing those brands? Inclines: I'm always warey of dropped kerbs (where like you say the pavement slopes down to the road) particularly on cold/rainy days as I have actually slipped before. Just be careful and walk away from the kerb where it doesn't slope as much. You just need to look where you're walking and plan around it. I don't ever really find them too much of a problem nowadays now that I wear heels more often than not. Other people's looks: I doubt they're looking disapprovingly, they're probably envious. People looking is probably just them wishing they had nice shoes or could walk in heels as high as you. Sure, it's jealousy, but they're probably looking in admiration, not wanting you to fall over. Don't think about it, most girls think you look great.

Hi there, great post, I'll try and reply as best I can :winkiss:

Pain on your toe: some shoes are worse than others, and some are fine. Is it just a small toe box pushing your toe in? How long have you had those shoes? It might get less painful over time. I nearly bought a pair of these, I'd be interested to know if they do get better. What size shoe are you? You say you don't feel towering in Office/Dune shoes (both brands I also love), but do you mean that's a bad thing, or just that you don't feel the pain of wearing those brands?

Inclines: I'm always warey of dropped kerbs (where like you say the pavement slopes down to the road) particularly on cold/rainy days as I have actually slipped before. Just be careful and walk away from the kerb where it doesn't slope as much. You just need to look where you're walking and plan around it. I don't ever really find them too much of a problem nowadays now that I wear heels more often than not.

Other people's looks: I doubt they're looking disapprovingly, they're probably envious. People looking is probably just them wishing they had nice shoes or could walk in heels as high as you. Sure, it's jealousy, but they're probably looking in admiration, not wanting you to fall over. Don't think about it, most girls think you look great.

Thanks roz.

Dune shoes are so comfy. I have bought some sickening heels there and love them. I dont feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever. However with the Aldo Atlantic City range (in fact I have come to realise it is the Aldo patent range of shoes) the hard patent rubs against my little toe making it uncomfortable only after 5 minutes of wear

I am a size 4.

I want to wear the hot orange patent ones I got from Aldo on Thursday night.

How do you deal with the grip on your heels to ensure you dont go skidding over something you hadnt noticed?

Hi there, great post, I'll try and reply as best I can :winkiss:

Pain on your toe: some shoes are worse than others, and some are fine. Is it just a small toe box pushing your toe in? How long have you had those shoes? It might get less painful over time. I nearly bought a pair of these, I'd be interested to know if they do get better. What size shoe are you? You say you don't feel towering in Office/Dune shoes (both brands I also love), but do you mean that's a bad thing, or just that you don't feel the pain of wearing those brands?

Inclines: I'm always warey of dropped kerbs (where like you say the pavement slopes down to the road) particularly on cold/rainy days as I have actually slipped before. Just be careful and walk away from the kerb where it doesn't slope as much. You just need to look where you're walking and plan around it. I don't ever really find them too much of a problem nowadays now that I wear heels more often than not.

Other people's looks: I doubt they're looking disapprovingly, they're probably envious. People looking is probably just them wishing they had nice shoes or could walk in heels as high as you. Sure, it's jealousy, but they're probably looking in admiration, not wanting you to fall over. Don't think about it, most girls think you look great.

Also just like to ask how you deal with the attention for the guys? The other week I went to a dinner and was a pair of silver Dune heels and the police officers on patrol actually stopped to stare. I really need to get over my shyness

Please don't be shy !! People stare at you out of admiration and thinking how beautiful you are in heels ! There's no need to do pointy and platforms together, my partner doesnt do pointy tho she luvs 5" heels any time we go out. Better rounded toe than a size up in my opinion. Save the atlantic city ones for meals out rather than dancing? Ignore the looks, us guys have to !! And be yourself, thats what style is about !! Good luck !!

It sounds like to me you enjoy wearing high heels but are a little uncomfortable concerning the attention they bring you. I am sure you are a very attractive woman and the high heels accentuate your beauty. My advice is similar to what the designer said. Enjoy your times in high heels and take in the stares and compliments in a positive manner. Choose wisely the high heels to wear for the different occassions and which ones you are more comfortable with on those occassions. But the key is to be comfortable and be happy and enjoy the moments.

Thanks roz.

Dune shoes are so comfy. I have bought some sickening heels there and love them. I dont feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever. However with the Aldo Atlantic City range (in fact I have come to realise it is the Aldo patent range of shoes) the hard patent rubs against my little toe making it uncomfortable only after 5 minutes of wear

I am a size 4.

I want to wear the hot orange patent ones I got from Aldo on Thursday night.

How do you deal with the grip on your heels to ensure you dont go skidding over something you hadnt noticed?

If your toes aren't too tight in the shoe you could try cutting up some Sholl Party Feet or something as a layer of padding between the shoe and your toe, but it might just be that your feet don't agree with those shoes :winkiss:

I've never bought Atlantic City shoes, so I don't know whether it's a common problem or not. I have never had problems with shoes from Office or Dune, or even New Look.

It might be worth wearing the Atlantics around your own house to try and see if you get used to them. They might loosen up. It's worth a go.

Also just like to ask how you deal with the attention for the guys? The other week I went to a dinner and was a pair of silver Dune heels and the police officers on patrol actually stopped to stare. I really need to get over my shyness

The attention is normally flattering, I don't really let it bother me now. I do wear some pretty daring shoes too. Maybe it is like being a celebrity where you just stop noticing the attention. People looking at least means your money on heels isn't wasted as people are noticing, and more often than not probably think you look amazing in them.

I would dare say people are looking out of admiration. Let's face it -- high heels are designed to capture attention! They generally do so quite well no matter who is wearing them but when worn by a lovely woman they are especially effective. Sounds like they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do!

As far as the "slipping and gripping" issue, you just have to be careful where and how you walk. There are stick-on sole pads that will improve traction on slick surfaces -- look in the shoe care section of stores. But walking in high heels is not like walking in sneakers (or trainers if you please) -- and we wouldn't want it to be, would we?

Have a happy time!

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to answer the question of grip. Some of my shoes are totally ridiculous in terms of slippiness. My Jimmy Choos are like walking on ice, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't slipped over in them several times! You just have to be careful and look where you're going. As the soles get worn, often they will become less slippy. Like JMC says, unfortunately high heels are style over function so there are a few concessions we need to make and slipping and falling is one of them!

Dune shoes are so comfy.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but I simply adore Dune shoes and boots, they usually look really classy and even the 4" stilettos are great to walk in. Dune were the first pair I tried on and bought in a shop in their Whiteley's London branch. The shop assistant was a little taken aback to start with, but we both held our nerve lol

I have a search set up on ebay for Dune stilettos and if there is a God, one day they'll be a purple pair of satin Chantel's in a size 8 just for me!!

Anyway, back to topic :winkiss:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but I simply adore Dune shoes and boots, they usually look really classy and even the 4" stilettos are great to walk in. Dune were the first pair I tried on and bought in a shop in their Whiteley's London branch. The shop assistant was a little taken aback to start with, but we both held our nerve lol

I have a search set up on ebay for Dune stilettos and if there is a God, one day they'll be a purple pair of satin Chantel's in a size 8 just for me!!

Anyway, back to topic :winkiss:

I hear ya

At the mo their collection is pretty boring as well as the stuff on sale but I have seen some hot pairs in a magazine which should be out in the next few months (probably as soon as the current sale ends)

I just dont get how Dune can feel so comfy whilst Aldo (patent leather shoes) feel like you are walking on shards of glass

I hear ya

At the mo their collection is pretty boring as well as the stuff on sale but I have seen some hot pairs in a magazine which should be out in the next few months (probably as soon as the current sale ends)

I just dont get how Dune can feel so comfy whilst Aldo (patent leather shoes) feel like you are walking on shards of glass

Dune are trying just a bit too hard with latest collection. They're at their best when keeping the design simple and classic. Some of them have too much going on but hopefully they'll calm down a bit for the coming collection. The upside to this is I've saved money :winkiss:

Btw, I simply adore these boots...

http://www.dune.co.uk/catalogue/style.asp?r=43&g=41&s=116&y=A08LSU10LBD480H

http://www.dune.co.uk/catalogue/style.asp?r=43&g=41&s=114&y=A07LPA10LBD275H

The 2nd pair were available in a dark green and looked awesome. Shame they didn't do them in purple. Maybe I should write to them?!!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

SNIP...

So to summarise my post, how do I deal with :winkiss:

a) pain on my little toe

:sad: inclines and strange surfaces

c) heel grip ability

d) other people who wish me to fall flat on my face

Any tips you guys

Kikilamour,

Different manufacturers have different lasts. it only takes a subtle difference to cause a problem for you, yet not for another bacause of the slight differences between feet of the same size. So it seems you are doomed to little toe pain on Aldo shoes.

As to your other questions, if you have not yet come across Jenny's pages, then click here and read perhaps the most comprehensive instructions on how to get on with high heels. It is very good advice for all heel wearers both girls and boys.

Above all, don't worry about others. Wear whatever you chose with confidence and grace. If people look, it is because what they see is worth looking at, so enjoy it :nervous:

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

hi kikilamour I think you will find most guys will stare at a woman in heels because 1.their partners probably dont! (wear heels that is) 2.you probably look amazing 3.they are too shy to come up to yor face and compliment you...i know i would! 4.They wish they could wear them..well if you've been sighted by members of this board! dont be shy! glad i am not the only one who's found different shops shoes can kill your toes!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!