The Jaunts of JeffB!

JeffB

Thanks for the kind words, Lime! As always, I work hard to look my very best when in public, and I feel good when I'm looking good. It's the only way to go as a fashion freestyler!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jaunt #244, 10/25/2014:
Last Sunday, I found myself being mildly surprised when I walked about downtown Philadelphia in a long skirt and high heeled boots and no one gave me so much as the time of day. So, taking that into consideration, I thought I'd up the ante a little on today's outing as I wore my denim jacket over a red t-shirt, my favorite black denim pencil skirt, my recently bought black handbag and, last but not least, the Payless “Karmen” pumps in red patent. Yes, I didn't just wear red shoes, but SHINY red shoes, mainly to see if anyone would take notice.

I drove straight into downtown and parked down the street from my friendly neighborhood comic book shop, but that wasn't my first stop, instead, I went to a shoe repair shop right around the caorner from where I parked with my Pleaser “Vanity” knee boots to have the heel tips replaced after last Sunday's outing did a number on them. After paying for the repairs in advance, I was told to come back in an hour, which was fine with me as that would give me time to kill and to be seen. So I headed up the block to the comic shop, passing by several people, and guess what? They paid me no mind. After spending a good twenty minutes in the shop, I left and headed down the street to the Rittenhouse Square area and Barnes & Noble to check out some sports magazines until I returned to the show shop. As was usually the case on a late Saturday morning, the Rittenhouse Square area was packed with people who could see me and my shoes, but, again, no one stared, gawked, did double takes, pointed, laughed, giggled, none of that stuff. Admittedly, I wanted to chuckle myself from the irony that not even shiny red shoes could get a rise out of passerby, not on the street or in the bookstore where I spent a solid twenty minutes, then walked back to the shoe shop, over three blocks away without incident. I don't have to say that bolstered my confidence and got me to thinking that perhaps I really could wear just about anything, and that made me feel rather bold and pleased with myself.

Returning to the shop, the boots, complete with new tips were waiting for me, leaving the shop, boots in a plastic bag, I swung by a nearby convenience store across the street to buy the Powerball Lottery ticket, then back to the car and I drove over into South Jersey, my destination the Moorestown Mall area as I had lunch at Boston Market, the restaurant had a good crowd of over a dozen diners, but I was ignored by them while I ate, then went to the Barnes & Noble for some quiet time, even though there was a fairly large crowd, with a handful of sci fi magazines, I headed to the lounge area to read and got a nod and a small grin from a middle aged black woman. Was she acknowledging my shoes? Who can say, I just nodded and grinned back. After a half hour of reading, I left the store with some manga, now, as I crossed the parking a lot, two people passing my by in a car twisted their heads as they saw me, more acknowledgement, of a sort. My last stop of the day was to Sears for some shopping, picking up black sweater, a knee length print skirt and a red belt, at the register, the cashier who rang up my order smiled and said “I see you picked this belt to go with your shoes. Nice choice.” I grinned and thanked her for the compliment. Just for kicks, I left the store and entered the mall area, walking at a slow pace so I could be seen, for certain I was, but no scenes were made as I stopped at Auntie Annie's for a cup of lemonade, then I returned to my car and drove home.

To sum up everything, my outing spent wearing red shoes was both eventful and uneventful. It was eventful because it felt great to strut about in such brightly colored shoes, in fact, it was very exciting because I hadn't done anything like this, and I got a really big thrill out of it all. At the same time, it was also uneventful as no one paid me any mind the whole time, I suppose I should be used to that by now, but I thought sure the shoes would attract attention, but they didn't. Oh, well, what can you do. However, the important thing was that it had been great fun to wear those red pumps and will be something I'll want to do again in the future. More to come....

post-154-0-99650700-1414314218_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-76905400-1414314225_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-50013300-1414314230_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-86052500-1414314235_thumb.jpg

Ah, again the frustration of getting all dressed up and having no body notice.  Consider, if you saw a gal wearing the same outfit, would you take special notice? (Being a shoe nut, you might... but would anyone else?)   Seeing someone dressed nicely with coordinated colors shouldn't be that big a deal.  Ok, so it was a guy wearing a skirt and heels... but other than that what's to notice?

I have mentioned that I'm more comfortable wearing thigh boots then pumps and gotten comments that most folks didn't understand how that could be.  I'll suggest the same thing applies to your red pumps.  They looked great with that outfit, why would you think they looked out of the ordinary (wrong words) overly distinctive?  Just like me wearing pumps, you and red pumps is a head game.

For your Pleaser “Vanity” knee boots, consider having metal toe plate (tap) installed the next time you're at the cobbler.  I tend to put a lot of wear on the toe of my boots and that plate prevents excessive wear and it also sounds neat when I'm walking.

Rereading this I noticed I failed to mention, That Outfit Looks GREAT!  Proper prior planning strikes again, and the necklace is a nice touch.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Nice look Jeff. I'm surprised you got so few reactions, whenever I've worn red shoes they've tended to get noticeably more glances, mostly positive ones from women who presumably have an understanding of "the red shoe effect". Your experience seems to somewhat disprove the existence of such an effect. I thought there was a thread a few months ago that there is indeed something special about red shoes, but I can't seem to find it now.

It's somewhat of a paradox that the more we nail an overall look, the less of a reaction it seems to evoke. It would be nice to get some smiles or even compliments, but that just insipres me to be more complimentary when I see others whose outfit I like. I was in the supermarket the other day (wearing my black suede courts with bootcut jeans and black waterfall cardigan) and saw a young lady wearing a camel leather jacket, blue skinny jeans and a wonderful pair of stilleto heeled black suede just over-the-knee boots. Without hesitation I smiled and said "I love your boots, you look gorgeous!" and she smiled back and thanked me.

I think the outfits we wear do have an effect on how others receive compliments that we give, and Jeff I'm sure with your outfits any compliments you give would be received in the very positive spirit they're intended. Maybe this is the antidote what TBG described as "the frustration of getting all dressed up and having no body notice".

If you like it, wear it.

I have no idea how you get no reaction, Jeff. If I wear anything more daring than block heels with boot cut jeans, I get gawked at constantly. I have been honked at, wolf whistled at, and followed around with a camera. Of course, most of this has happened in a small town on a Friday night. And to be fair, I've had positive reactions, too.

So come visit me, and I guarantee you'll get noticed. Nice outfit, by the way!

You look great, JeffB!  With how well put together your ensembles are and the confidence you have, it doesn't surprise me in the least that rather than reactions you get respect when out and about.

Great look as usual Jeff, the skirt looks masculine, kind of like what every guy wishes he can wear, but most don't have the guts to. Because you dress well, I am not surprised by zero reactions you received. People are getting used to the idea that a man too can look good in a skirt! You looks great with it as always. I am not surprised you just blended in, even in bright red shoes! I quite like the jacket, too. The patterned skirt sounds interesting, have you just got a pencil skirt like one of mine I wear to work? :wink:

Looking forward to your next jaunt, show us that gorgeous skirt too, as I am always looking for fashion tips!

WOW! So many amazing and insightful comments on my most recent outing! Thanks much, guys! I appreciate them all and will respond in depth later. Just let me say that wearing red shoes in public on Saturday was one hell of an adventure, even for a veteran heeler like myself, and I can't wait to do that again!

In spite of the red shoes, the total look is classy, elegant and understated, as i'm sure is your objective. If you want to turn heads try bright red boots. (Dang, TBG is getting inside my head).

I loved the red heels in my profile pic. Bet then i missed a step on concrete stairs at a highway rest area, and ripped a heel clean off. I had the handrail or i could have been seriously hurt. The shoes were cheap and well worn, not worth repairing.

Ah, again the frustration of getting all dressed up and having no body notice.  Consider, if you saw a gal wearing the same outfit, would you take special notice? (Being a shoe nut, you might... but would anyone else?)   Seeing someone dressed nicely with coordinated colors shouldn't be that big a deal.  Ok, so it was a guy wearing a skirt and heels... but other than that what's to notice?

I have mentioned that I'm more comfortable wearing thigh boots then pumps and gotten comments that most folks didn't understand how that could be.  I'll suggest the same thing applies to your red pumps.  They looked great with that outfit, why would you think they looked out of the ordinary (wrong words) overly distinctive?  Just like me wearing pumps, you and red pumps is a head game.

For your Pleaser “Vanity” knee boots, consider having metal toe plate (tap) installed the next time you're at the cobbler.  I tend to put a lot of wear on the toe of my boots and that plate prevents excessive wear and it also sounds neat when I'm walking.

Rereading this I noticed I failed to mention, That Outfit Looks GREAT!  Proper prior planning strikes again, and the necklace is a nice touch.

For starters, you're right! If I had seen a woman wearing the outfit I sported on Saturday, my eyes would most certainly had been drawn to her shoes. Heh! You're also right that perhaps I had gone mostly ignored because I was tastefully dressed for my surroundings, despite the shiny red shoes I wore, I just hadn't anticipated that happening. Perhaps it is something of a head game, because I thought I would attract notice and was, well, taken aback when I wasn't, and I thought only New Yorkers could be that jaded, or perhaps I just wasn't that distinctive or outrageous, despite being a man in a skirt and heels. As for the proper planning, I spend at least a solid two hours a week experimenting with tops, bottoms and shoes, putting together outfits, seeing what works, what doesn't while taking notes along the way. As I've said many times before, if I'm going to wear women's clothes and shoes in public, then I'm damn sure going to do it right!

Nice look Jeff. I'm surprised you got so few reactions, whenever I've worn red shoes they've tended to get noticeably more glances, mostly positive ones from women who presumably have an understanding of "the red shoe effect". Your experience seems to somewhat disprove the existence of such an effect. I thought there was a thread a few months ago that there is indeed something special about red shoes, but I can't seem to find it now.

It's somewhat of a paradox that the more we nail an overall look, the less of a reaction it seems to evoke. It would be nice to get some smiles or even compliments, but that just insipres me to be more complimentary when I see others whose outfit I like. I was in the supermarket the other day (wearing my black suede courts with bootcut jeans and black waterfall cardigan) and saw a young lady wearing a camel leather jacket, blue skinny jeans and a wonderful pair of stilleto heeled black suede just over-the-knee boots. Without hesitation I smiled and said "I love your boots, you look gorgeous!" and she smiled back and thanked me.

I think the outfits we wear do have an effect on how others receive compliments that we give, and Jeff I'm sure with your outfits any compliments you give would be received in the very positive spirit they're intended. Maybe this is the antidote what TBG described as "the frustration of getting all dressed up and having no body notice".

The "red shoe effect", eh? Interesting! I thought that women would certainly take notice, but again, save for that saleslady at Sears, it never happened. Your theory about that paradox was spot on, because I'm almost obsessed with looking good and proper in public, I've probably eliminated any possibility of ridicule due to my presenting a tasteful appearance. I think it was you who said that most women would take pride in wearing the sort of outfits I sport, just as I take pride in my appearance. As for complimenting well dressed women I see in public, that's a good idea, I'll definitely have to try that sometime.

I have no idea how you get no reaction, Jeff. If I wear anything more daring than block heels with boot cut jeans, I get gawked at constantly. I have been honked at, wolf whistled at, and followed around with a camera. Of course, most of this has happened in a small town on a Friday night. And to be fair, I've had positive reactions, too.

So come visit me, and I guarantee you'll get noticed. Nice outfit, by the way!

Well, I guess I'm just lucky, or maybe that has something to do with living in a big city with a more sophisticated populace, not that I'm dissing where you live. I'm sure I would literally stop traffic in your town in a skirt and heels.

You look great, JeffB!  With how well put together your ensembles are and the confidence you have, it doesn't surprise me in the least that rather than reactions you get respect when out and about.

Like I mentioned in my response to TBG, it's all about planning for me. I put a lot of time and trouble into looking as good as I do, so maybe that has a lot to do with the lack of reactions because I don't look weird or outlandish.

Looking good Jeff!  I have been wanting to get some red pumps myself but I haven't found any yet.

Well, the shoes I wore on Saturday came from Payless, so you could give them a try. You could also check out Amazon and see what they have to offer.

Great look as usual Jeff, the skirt looks masculine, kind of like what every guy wishes he can wear, but most don't have the guts to. Because you dress well, I am not surprised by zero reactions you received. People are getting used to the idea that a man too can look good in a skirt! You looks great with it as always. I am not surprised you just blended in, even in bright red shoes! I quite like the jacket, too. The patterned skirt sounds interesting, have you just got a pencil skirt like one of mine I wear to work? :wink:

Looking forward to your next jaunt, show us that gorgeous skirt too, as I am always looking for fashion tips!

Masculine, eh? Well, I suppose that might well be the case when it comes to wearing denim. Meanwhile, I hope I can show how a man can look good, even sharp in a skirt, I wouldn't wear them if I didn't think I could pull that off. Oh, yeah, and I love wearing them too!

Now all JeffB needs is a radio show.  Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes  :penitent:

Red pumps? Most definitely! Red sneakers? No way in hell! :silly:

In spite of the red shoes, the total look is classy, elegant and understated, as i'm sure is your objective. If you want to turn heads try bright red boots. (Dang, TBG is getting inside my head).

I loved the red heels in my profile pic. Bet then i missed a step on concrete stairs at a highway rest area, and ripped a heel clean off. I had the handrail or i could have been seriously hurt. The shoes were cheap and well worn, not worth repairing.

Red boots? Hmm! HA! That's a thought! Thanks for the kind words.

JeffB,

The red shoes add a splash of color to your ensemble. I too like to wear my, "Karmen" pumps which I have in pink, white, blue, red and other colors.  Wearing red shoes is certainly making a bold statement, of which I certainly like to do, just like you do!  And yes, I do wear red patent knee boots too, among other bold colors.  I hope you try wearing the red knee boots. I'll be watching.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Thanks for the kind words, bluejay. Most appreciated. Red boots? Hmm! I'll take that into consideration! Heh!

Nahhh! It was stupid cold and rainy on Saturday and football was on Sunday. Perhaps this coming weekend.

Jaunt #242, 10/18/2014:

I've said numerous times that I study what women wear and try to emulate what I see, and that was the case with today's outfit. Three days ago, I saw a thirtysomething woman in the supermarket wearing a denim jacket over a black top and black pants. Looking at that woman, I was intrigued with her ensemble and figured I could creat something along those lines for an outing, so I went out in my denim jacket over a black scoop neck t-shirt, my black denim pencil skirt, the Payless “Karmen” pumps in black and a black handbag. All things considered, I thought the outfit worked well and looked good on me, meanwhile, after all those previous outings spent in flats, it certainly felt great to wear a proper pair of heels again.

My first stop of the day was downtown and my friendly neighborhood comic shop, having parked little over half a block away from the shop, I got to enjoy a little walk while enjoying the delightfully sharp and loud clicking of my heels on the pavement which made me smile, after fifteen or so minutes in the shop, I headed to a newspaper stand little over a block away to play the Powerball Lottery, it was pleasant to have strolled the streets, crowded with people, none of whom paid me any mind, despite how I was dressed, and that was cool. Returning to my car, I drove over the bridge into South Jersey and headed to Wendy's near the Moorestown Mall where I enjoyed their new BBQ pulled pork hamburger which was mighty good. Next, I swung over to Home Depot as I needed to buy a new smoke detector, two young boys with their father each gave me a puzzled look (it's usually young kids who take notice and stare most) but nothing more than that, then it was off to Barnes & Noble for some quiet time spent reading sci-fi magazines for some forty five minutes before leaving with an anime magazine. Next up was Best Buy, the store was plenty crowded for a Saturday afternoon but I went ignored during the thirty plus minutes I was in there before buying the Blu-Ray version of X-Men: Days of Future Past.

My last stop of the day was to Sears for a little shopping to close my outing. Even though I own well over forty skirts, I never hesitate to buy something that catches me eye, and two skirts I saw did just that and I bought them, adding to an already considerable pile along with a nice looking sweater. With any luck, I hope to show off the new acquisitions pretty soon. More to come....

You've convinced me to buy a black denim pencil skirt! Mine's a little longer, comes to my knee when standing but it is so comfortable and stylish when teamed with black knee high boots!  :silly: Time to wrap up warm, winter's coming! :wink:

You've convinced me to buy a black denim pencil skirt! Mine's a little longer, comes to my knee when standing but it is so comfortable and stylish when teamed with black knee high boots!  :silly: Time to wrap up warm, winter's coming! :cheeky:

Good for you, Kilty! I'm sure you put together a nice outfit. Meanwhile, I've bought a few pairs of tights for the upcoming chilly weather to come.

JeffB, you always an inspiration for getting out and just wearing whatever you like and always put together really nicely.

You certainly do much for many of us guys to just go and wear what you like. Thank you!

By the way a pleasure to see your pictures and read your posts!

JeffB, you always an inspiration for getting out and just wearing whatever you like and always put together really nicely.

You certainly do much for many of us guys to just go and wear what you like. Thank you!

By the way a pleasure to see your pictures and read your posts!

Thank you for your kind words. I simply do as best I can to look my best on my public adventures. Having fun and enjoying myself is the most important component of what I do as a fashion freestyler, and I try express that enjoyment in the recounting of my exploits. I'm glad folks like you enjoy reading my posts, and rest assured I'll keep them coming!

Good for you, Kilty! I'm sure you put together a nice outfit. Meanwhile, I've bought a few pairs of tights for the upcoming chilly weather to come.

I went shopping for some tights and underwear today, I wore my new skirt, but was surprised by how no one gave a damn... I was expecting something, but nothing! Even with boots and grey tights on, nothing! Perhaps people really don't care anymore!

I went shopping for some tights and underwear today, I wore my new skirt, but was surprised by how no one gave a damn... I was expecting something, but nothing! Even with boots and grey tights on, nothing! Perhaps people really don't care anymore!

Good for you, Kilty. I've found that if you're tastefully dressed for whatever surroundings you happen to be in, chances are no one will pay much, if any attention to you. I found that out after wearing red shoes on an outing two weeks ago.

Jaunt #245, 11/8/2014:
After a little two week hiatus, I'm back for an all new outing as I did a little experiment with accessories. Anyhow, despite plenty of sunshine, it was pretty chilly today, what better day to wear an above the knee skirt, namely my favorite black denim pencil skirt which I wore with my black pleather jacket over a beige turtleneck and the aforementioned experiment, namely gray No Nonsense tights. I've never worn tights in any color other than black, so I thought I'd give gray a try which I thought worked well with the black skirt, providing proper contrast and the Payless “Tara” knee boots, making my legs look exceptionally sharp. The final touch was my trusty black handbag as I've said many times in the past, I don’t feel fully dressed without the comforting heft of a purse on my shoulder.

Driving downtown, my first stop was to my friendly neighborhood comic shop, parking little over a block away from the shop, I was afforded the opportunity to be seen, despite the pervasive chill as temps barely cracked 50, I felt nice and warm thanks to the tights and boots, passed by several people on my way to the shop, and, as usual, I drew no stares. After fifteen or so minutes in the shop, I left and took a two plus block stroll down to the Rittenhouse Square area at a nice, slow pace, which was quite crowded with people thanks to a farmer’s market, lots and lots of people saw me, and no one raised so much as an eyebrow as I walked past. I'll admit to being a tad surprised at that, though I shouldn't have been after being ignored while wearing shiny red shoes two weeks ago. Walked into Barnes & Noble which had a good crowd of shoppers, no reaction after twenty minutes cruising the aisles before leaving with a graphic novel. Headed back to where my car was parked, passed more people, young, old, male, female, the whole nine yards, still no reaction. Do you sense a pattern here? Yup: no one cares about a guy in a skirt and high heels. I suppose I should be used to that notion by now, but I still find that revelation to be mildly startling. I guess I could chalk that up to looking stylish and tasteful for my surroundings to where no one could raise a stink about how I look, a victory for my ongoing obsession about my appearance being top notch during my public adventures.

Back in my car, it was over the bridge and into South Jersey where I went to the Moorestown Mall area and Chick-Fil-A where I hadn't dined in awhile. Walking inside, there was a good sized crowd, and here, I did draw a couple of stares, these from what I call the usual suspects, they being a trio of pre-teen girls, not surprising, I've found that I almost always attract the attention of kids and teenagers while adults can't be bothered. After a chicken salad sandwich and lemonade, it was back in the car and off to Barnes & Noble where I was able to kick back, take off my jacket and relax with some sports magazines and a cup of iced tea for nearly an hour. My last stop was Best Buy for some serious wandering of the Blu-Ray aisles and ogling the 4K TV sets (of which I'm sorely tempted to buy one), as was the case everywhere else, no one gave me the time of day save for a salesperson. After leaving with an anime title, it was off for home, pleased from another enjoyable outing, but intrigued how I just don't attract attention in my attire of choice. Perhaps a guy really can wear a skirt and heels in public and basically go ignored by the world at large if he looks good, and I did. More to come....

post-154-0-26915400-1415530860_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-29531000-1415530869_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-07773900-1415530875_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-31009300-1415530882_thumb.jpg

Nice! I really like that combo on you, Jeff.

Like the combo Your grey tights go well your outfit.

WOW JeffB, extremely well done. The grey tights make the outfit.

A necklace would have been a nice addition though.

The grey tights suit the outfit! Loving that cute skirt too! ♡♡♡

Interesting outfit there Jeff! I gotta say at quick glance of your pics I though you were wearing a tuxedo LOL Maybe you have something there Jeff. The "female" tuxedo!

The outfit is simply FANTASTIC! Phenomenal choices!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated! Regarding the gray tights, that had been a spur of the moment thing as I bought them that morning when I went to the drug store to buy a newspaper. Originally, I was going to go barelegged, but decided to buy the tights and conduct my little experiment. I'm glad I did, I'd forgotten how good my legs look in hosiery, and the tights really made them pop! Methinks I'll have to wear tights more in the future!

"Female" tuxedo? Heh! That's intriguing!