The Jaunts of JeffB!

JeffB

Nice jaunt, Jeff. The lady that went out of her way to make sure that you were well-aware of her disapproval really cracks me up. Where do people get the nerve, seriously??? Even if she doesn't have enough class to let people be who they are, you would think that at least some basic good manners would have prevailed. Anyhow, good for you for taking it in stride!

yeah, make NO mistake about it JeffB, that "lady" (if you can even CALL her that) was a real nutcase:-? along with the undeniable fact that she has more than a few screws loose in her head!!! If I didnt know better I'd SWEAR that normally adjusted people can handle anything out of the blue (like seeing a man in a skirt) without just falling to pieces, proof that such a sight must throw these kinds of already off kilter brains even MORE out-of-whack:eyecrazy::wave:

I like your unemotional response to the lady. The outfit just doesn't work for me. The sporty casual top is incongruent with the boho chic skirt. And the statement belt is a bit overkill maybe, since your statement is already in your heels and skirt. It almost looks like from the waist down, you are going for a tribal inspired feel, especially with the statement belt, and then when you see the top, your eye is just like, "wha?" That skirt might work with a white button down top, or a modern white t-shirt, (not Hanes!), but one with almost a light, airy see through transparency to it. Just my 2 cents.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

JeffB –

What an “interesting” outing. You do have to have some of those or imagine how boring posts would be if they were all “I went out wearing a skirt and heels...and it was all without incident”. I'm starting to get some of those so if anything, it makes you a better writer.

I started to think of some interesting responses to the lady’s Mickey Mouse question like, “Really, are you sure?” or “How can you tell?” but as you said, “but she had already spun around and tromped off” so I guess the opportunity for a response didn’t present itself. I think my response would have been to just stand there for a second, stunned. It sounds like you handled it well.

I do like your outfit but Kneehighs has a good point about the top. I don’t have his eye to offer a recommendation, but the style contrast is too much. You can wear a denim shirt with anything, but something fancier like your skirt and belt doesn’t seem to offer that flexibility.

A month is a long time to go without expressing yourself and that can be hard on you so I was encouraged when you said, “I can't wait to hit the road again! And soon!”.

Looking forward to the next Jaunt’s post.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yeah, after a month away from jaunting, it certainly felt good to hit the road again. As for that kook I encountered, that sure was an unusual way for her to display her displeasure with the way I was dressed. Ironically enough, that was the very first time I've had ANYONE openly criticize my choice of attire, so it was quite an experience to say the least. Still, only someone who's clearly a few fries short of a Happy Meal like that woman was could bring Mickey Mouse into a conversation about gender and clothing. In retrospect, it was pretty amusing. Heh! kneehighs: Many thanks for the honest criticism on my outfit. After all, without criticism, how can we improve? And I do want to improve, to look my very best while in public. I'll admit I wasn't entire sure about what to pair with that skirt which you called "boho chic", so I just experimented. Perhaps I should invest in more feminine looking tops for skirts like what I wore yesterday. Thanks too for the suggestion.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

You look great but as I have always said, man's stuff mixed with "feminine" just does not look right in my opinion As "female" shoes and skirts work out well on a guy and doing so in a different way, so does upper body apparel.Do not compare it to a woman, it is pointless.I wear "female" tops as a guy (skirts and heels also) with my male figure and I like the results ( so does my girlfriend).

7/4/2010:

And here's where I had an interesting little encounter. While fiddling with the Nook, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a middle aged black woman dressed like someone twenty years younger in a purple midriff top, a matching short shirt and high heeled sandals gave me a noticeably sour look from twenty feet away before slinking off, but I paid her no mind as I was long used to such expressions. However, ten minutes later, that same woman walked up to me, hands on hips and looking annoyed, she asked me the following question: "Do you know who Mickey Mouse is?" Unprepared for such an unusual inquiry, I asked her to repeat the question, she said, a tad louder, "Do you know who Mickey Mouse from Disneyland is?" When I replied that I did, she retorted, "Good! Because he knows that he's a boy!"

Jeff I give you a pat on the back for how you handled the women:clap: I don't think I myself would have been able to handle her like you did. My thoughts or should I say comment to her would have been along the line's of " Since when did old women start shopping in the teenager's clothing? And didn't I just see you on people of walmart?" I know this wouldn't have been the best course of action to take, but when someone like that would have come at me and insult's me like she did you I would not be able to control myself! I guess that is my sarcastic nature who know?:wave: Anyway nice out fit and keep it up!

skirtedvik: Yes, I've come around to the concept that the odd juxaposition of pairing male attire with female attire simply doesn't work, or, at the very least, it doesn't work well. That said, I'm starting to think I should go ahead and stock up on feminine tops since I'm wearing skirts almost exclusively these days anyway. scrappycoco: Well, I'm not a confrontational person by nature, so the snappy comebacks you mentioned would never have come to mind. Besides, I was so stunned by what that fruit loop had said, I'm amazed I managed to respond at all. It was just an odd experience from start to finish.

7/5/2010:

Since I had the day off from work, and was eager to go on another jaunt, despite a forecast with temps reaching well into the upper 90's, I headed out that morning, wearing what I call my "monochrome" outfit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A white ribbed shirt, my 19 inch black denim skirt from JCPenney, my black faux croc print handbag (I certainly do I enjoy the pleasant heft of a full handbag on my shoulder), bare legs and the Payless "Hazel" pumps which have been getting quite a workout of late, but I love those shoes and the delightfully sharp clicking of the heels when I walk. When I headed out shortly after eight a.m., it was already in the low 80's, so I know it was gonna be a steamy kind of day, and that made my wearing a white top essential since light colors reflect heat instead of absorbing same as dark colors do. So why didn't I wear a lighter colored skirt you ask? Well, I look good in black! Vanity after all! HA!

Stop number one was to a place I don't think I've ever haunted...Starbucks. But I decided to give the place, halfway between home and downtown Philly a try. Going in with the paper, it was refreshingly cool, just what the doctor ordered, there wasn't much in the way of a crowd because this was an off-day for lots of people, just half a dozen customers or so. I strolled up to the counter where I was warmly greeted by young lady with freckles and glasses, I ordered a tall lemonade and retreated to the lounge area to drink and read. There was no particular reason I chose to go to Starbucks, I just wanted to be seen. Some twenty minutes later, the young lady who waited on me walked up to me, curiosity written all over her face, predictably, she said she couldn't help noticing that I was wearing a skirt and heels and, predictably asked why. With a shrug, I said "because I like to". Then she asked if I worried about being laughed at because I was wearing women's clothes and shoes. I responded by asking if she gets laughed at while wearing jeans, which she was. She chuckled and said she didn't and I said, neither do I. She ended the chat by saying she had never seen anything like me before, but that I looked comfortable in my attire.

After yesterday's straight out of the Twilight Zone confrontation with that loopy woman in the Moorestown Barnes & Noble, this was a pleasant change of pace. About an hour later, I was on the road again, this time, I was off for center city and the Barnes & Noble, parking on the street in the downtown area was normally next to impossible, but since this was a holiday for most, I was able to park right in front of the store which sat across from Rittenhouse Square Park, a trendy spot in the downtown district where folks chill out and whatnot. After parking, I simply hopped out and crossed the street to the store and entered, when I'm in my comfort zone, I tend to forget that I'm wearing women's attire, I'm simply wearing clothes that society assigns gender labels to. While I turned a few heads here and there (again, I'm long used to that), I found a comfortable seat on the first floor and busied myself downloading a few e-books to my Nook which I brought with me, then went up to the third floor where the sci-fi and fiction books were to get a few ideas for new titles to add to my e-reading list. I saw myself as just another shopper enjoying some quality time browsing the aisles for books that I want to read. Nothing more.

Between that and some casual perusing of magazines back on the first floor, I spent nearly an hour there, no interruptions or anything like that. By the time I left, it was around ten thirty, I decided to head out to the western 'burbs to kill a little more time before lunch. After stopping off at a gas station to fill up, it was off to Best Buy to ogle at gizmos, a favorite hobby of mine. Granted, compared to everyone else who wandered the aisles, both male and female, I was perhaps more than a bit overdressed, but hey, I didn't mind that, call it the price I pay for always wanting to look my very best. I spent nearly an hour there before coming out with a trio of Blu-Ray discs, and then, I headed down the road to Subway for lunch before calling it a day and heading back home. All in all, it was a good outing, despite the heat, an outing made even better by that chat I had with the girl in Starbucks. The difference between what happened on Sunday and what happened today was like night and day, proof positive that some are closeminded towards men breaking the shackles of conventional fashion while others are open to the concept.

Greetings JeffB :-)

Two great outings you did yesterday and today.

I like both skirts. The long skirt is very nice.

( You are giving me the idea to try one to see how it is like ... :wave: )

As always, I admire your confidence and assurance on your outings.

A note about you last outing with the short skirt: You are wearing a white tee shirt ?

Maybe the t-shirt is too "relax" to wear with such a nice skirt and heels ?

What about trying a white blouse next time ?

Happy heeling and please keep posting !

A note about you last outing with the short skirt: You are wearing a white tee shirt ?

Maybe the t-shirt is too "relax" to wear with such a nice skirt and heels ?

To answer your question, it's hard to see details in the picture, but that shirt was ribbed, giving it a more fashionable appearance than a plain old T.

What about trying a white blouse next time ?

I'm thinking of taking that suggestion under serious consideration!

Going out sure is contagious, isn’t it. :wave: Sounds like you had a grand time and the black and white outfit looks good. I studied graphic art for a while and quickly learned I didn’t know how to work with color. I also didn’t study long enough to learn how to either. But with that caveat, maybe a red belt or a plain gold necklace, would have added a bit of splash.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi Jeff, Love both looks! Well done. Your longer skirt has a lovely shape to it and your belt and top coordinated really well. The second look with the shorter skirt and white t-shirt looks great. A mini skirt style in my opinion is ok with a t-shirt like you've done because its more casual than formal. A formal skirt look is usually just on the knee. I can't wait for summer here because I know what the shorter skirts are like to wear, they're quite cool (in more ways than one) and its nice to get your legs out (esp. since guys fashions are quite the opposite). You've got the skirt lenght just right, I find any shorter can be a nuisance for practical purposes and you've a great pair of legs! Your heels are cool, nice and pointy and they suit the outfits well. A great pair of ensembles!! Heel-Lover

7/11/2010:

After a soggy and downright miserable Saturday with rain a goodly portion of the day, Sunday turned out quite nice, still hot, but not as oppressively humid as it had been during the week. So, with that in mind, it was time for a jaunt, and this one turned out to have had a special significance for me, given my outfit as, for the first time ever, I wore nothing women's clothing from head to toe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A blue women's tee from JCPenney, the long black Old Navy skirt, my faux croc print handbag and the Payless "Hazel" pumps. Oh, yeah, and for whatever it's worth, I wear women's French cut briefs under my clothes. A comment by kneehighs about the shirt I had previously worn with this skirt prompted me to buy a few tops from the women's side of the store and see how one of those would work with the Old Navy skirt which I've fallen in love with because of it's light, breezy feel and how it swirls about my legs as I walk. I'm quickly starting to think of this as my favorite summertime skirt. In fact, I might just go back to Old Navy and see about getting this is another color, like blue or brown. But I digress, I felt no apprehension about going out and about dressed entirely in women's clothes, I was at peace and comfortable in what I wore. if anything, this might well have become the next phase in my ongoing exploration of fashion freedom.

Anyhoo, as for my jaunt, I headed east. Newspaper in hand, I headed for the Starbucks store near downtown where I spent a delightful hour with a tall lemonade while reading my paper, the store was fairly full, mostly with young people, probably college students, but no one made a big deal about how I was dressed, even while I sat among them. Oh sure, they probably had some interesting thoughts rattling around in their heads as they saw, casual as can be, legs crossed in a feminine manner and having a good time catching up on the news, but hey, I can't stop anyone from thinking. I might just make that a regular stop on my jaunts from this point on. From there, it was off to the wilds of South Jersey where I headed for Barnes & Noble in Moorestown to see if there was any new manga in stock, a nice little breeze blew the skirt like a flag while I walked to the door, catching the attention of a couple who did a rather comical double take as I strolled by. They didn't say anything to me, and I didn't say anything to them. Two ships passing in the night.

I spent a good half hour or so in the store, picking up a couple of manga titles and otherwise enjoying the experience of being surrounded by books. Ahh, bliss! And no crackpot lady chiding me with a Mickey Mouse reference like last week. From there, it was off to the nearby Best Buy to see what was new there. Being in a quiet, sedate atmosphere like a bookstore is one thing, but a large, noisy and crowded big box like Best Buy was quite another, and I'm sure I turned more than a few heads during the time I spent there, but no one said so much as a peep while I wandered the aisles. Despite the fact I probably came across to them as an oddity at best, a nutjob at worst, given how I was dressed, people gave me my space like they would any other human being, and that's just what I was. Who cared if I wasn't dressed in the way society says I should dress. Kill that noise! I'm having much more fun turning convention on it's all ear!

It was fun, pushing the envelope just a bit further with today's jaunt. There was no self-consciousness, just a sense of contentment because I chose to present myself in the way I wanted, not how someone else believes I should. And if I gave the people who saw me a cheap thrill and something to talk about with their friends for a few minutes, then I'm glad to have livened up their dull and insignificant little lives. I'm just spreading cheer and good tidings everywhere I go! HA!

JeffB. While I commend you for your courage and nonchalant manner going about your business while dressed in skirts and heels, I really don't like the last outfit. It's too boxy looking. No shape. :wave: Take a look at the white t-shirt and black skirt you previously wore. The clothes fit your frame better. You have some "shape". Clean lines and neat in appearance. Just my opinion.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB. While I commend you for your courage and nonchalant manner going about your business while dressed in skirts and heels, I really don't like the last outfit. It's too boxy looking. No shape. :wave: Take a look at the white t-shirt and black skirt you previously wore. The clothes fit your frame better. You have some "shape". Clean lines and neat in appearance. Just my opinion.

Hmm! Interesting! Never thought of it that way. Clean lines, eh? Well, that's certainly something else to take into consideration. To be honest, I never thought of myself as having some "shape". Heh! Anyhoo, thanks for the comments.

Hey Jeff, Well done! I love your look! I know what Bubba means in his previous comment as I think the same of myself sometimes when I dress similar to you but.... you just can't beat the feeling of wearing a nice pair of heels and skirt openly and honestly as we do. Even my most fitted outfits don't give me any real 'shape' and I think this is a good thing for men in heels because I certainly am not (and I imagine you aren't either) trying to be too overtly sexy. I do enjoy being a flirt at times because ... well because I can ... if I feel like pairing a short skirt and very high heels. Unless others are getting out there like us they won't know what I mean, won't know what they're missing. Cheers Heel-Lover

That is better - the top suits you in my opinion!I wear even more "feminine" looking tops.The only condition is that they must not have bra-like parts (or cups) in them.Some models have integrated such parts and they are completely unappropriate for a guy.Apart from that all "female" upper clothing is appropriate for men. Remember that you must compare yourself and your look to other males (wearing similar items) and not to women.

Greetings JeffB,

Nice outfit. I wanted you to know you've inspired my skirt wearing. Did a road trip not long ago and wore a skirt the entire trip. I was able to shoot a few pix on a pit stop.

rx

No big deal for me. I wear a skirt almost all the time!

Well, having sported a belt helped a good deal with past outfits I've displayed, giving me that so-called "shape". However, I felt more comfortable without the belt in my last outfit, and considering how hot it was that day, that meant a whole lot to me. To be honest, I'm not sure I can achieve a true "shape", be nice to try, but I'm not going to obsess over it. In any event, I appreciate all your comments in this matter. By the by, rxrenesis, nice pics, my friend!

Just say want to say thanks Jeff. I do like reading about your little jaunts :wave:

Glad to be of service! Thanks for the kind words! :)

• 1 month later...

8/25/2010:

After a month and a half layoff (thanks to busy stuff and just plain laziness), I finally went out on a jaunt. Here's what I wore on my outing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My magenta polo shirt from Old Navy, the 37 inch black A-line skirt from JCPenney, off-black L'Eggs pantyhose (the first time I wore hosiery of any kind in months), the Payless black patent "Lance Flex" pumps, my black faux croc print handbag and, something new, a woman's wrist watch I bought from Sears a few days earlier. Oh, yeah, there was one other thing I wore on this outing, can you figure out what it was? And does anyone think I was crazy for having worn this item that I wanted to experiment with? Admittedly, I was probably a tad overdressed, but I felt like dressing up for my first outing in almost two months.

So I drove out to the western 'burbs, even though it was overcast and looked like it could rain any minute, but it never did. My first stop being to a gas station to top off the tank, no biggie, then I headed to the strip mall in Springfield and Borders Bookstore, my favorite haunt when I head westward. As usual, I parked a goodly distance from the front door so I could enjoy that little walk, complete with the delightful sound of my heels clicking on the pavement and the pleasant swish of the long skirt as I walked. The inside of the store was fairly full, what with shoppers coming and going, but, armed with several Mac based magazines, I retreated to the lounge area where I read for little over an hour. The atmosphere was, as usual, calm, quiet and serene, perfect conditions for reading, while I did get a stare here and there during the time I was in the store, no one approached me and was left alone. Again, no biggie. After buying an Iron Man graphic novel, I headed out, even got a nod and a smile from an older lady I held the door open for.

Stop number two was to Bed Bath & Beyond where I sought a small folding table for me to use in my living room to eat TV dinners on while watching TV. After entering the store, I boldly walked up to the first salesperson I saw, asked her where the tables was and was given directions, I made a note to stroll towards the aisle I sought, if but for no other reason than so I could be seen, after picking out a nice little table ($9.99 before taxes), I got in line at the check-out, paid for my purchase while being treated nicely by the clerk and went about my way. My third and last stop of the day was to Best Buy which I loved wandering through because it's fun. I got a few stares and a double take here and there, but nothing more than that, I acted as calm and casual as I usually do, I was just another shopper, despite how I was dressed, nothing more, nothing less, oh, yeah, as usual when in Best Buy, a couple of those friendly blue shirted salespeople asked if I need help, but I politely declined. I left with a copy of Clash of the Titans on Blu-Ray.

After so long away from my adventures, it felt darn good to have gotten back in the saddle. However, I will admit to having felt more than a little nervous at first, I attributed that bit of anxiety to my long absence from freestyling, but I recovered quickly and felt good the rest of the outing. The nervousness I experienced also reminded me of what it was like to be in the fishbowl, of being exposed for the world to see, and that can be a bit unnerving. Now if I were doing the "stealth thing" as in only hiding heels under long jeans, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but since I regularly wear skirts with my heels, there was no place for me to hide, so the only thing I could do was go out, be seen and let the chips fall where they may. Does what I do take a considerable amount of testicular fortitude? Most definitely. Am I brave, given what I do? I suppose so. However, none of that took away from the fun and enjoyment that came from being on a jaunt, and I hope to return to a regular schedule of outings in the future. Something I look forward to.

Postscript: While on my way back home, I passed by the scene of an accident, nothing serious, just a mild fender bender, but that did remind me of the importance of driving both carefully and defensively while on a jaunt. The dead LAST thing I need is to get in an accident and have to exchange insurance numbers while garbed in a skirt and heels. That would be a tad embarrassing. Food for thought.

Great story Jeff, and with that, you look great on the pictures! I don't think you're overdressed like that. I mean, it's only lipstick, right? :) Looks good on you, I must say. I noticed most of the men don't have the lips for it (too small) but you certainly do! I noticed because I like wearing lipstick myself too, although not in public. I'm always surprised to read that almost noone seems to notice. I mean, don't people look at others? I certainly do, but maybe that's because of my fascination for shoes... You've got nothing to worry about for looks, I'd say :)

JeffB – I like the overall look, but I do think a nice pair of boots (the taller the better) would improve it. (You would be disappointed if I hadn’t said that.) :) The watch is a nice touch. I’ve thought about it a couple of times, but since I don’t have a goal of “trying to pass”, I have stayed with a male watch. I’m not suggesting that is your goal. Sometimes my watch the only thing from the male side of the store I have on. As for the lipstick… moderation is a good thing, at least at first. Most of us don’t start with 5” stiletto pumps and I think the same idea applies with makeup. Go easy and work your way into it. I’m sure others can offer good experienced advice. Somehow this icon seen appropriate -- :) As always - Enjoy.