The Jaunts of JeffB!

JeffB

Jaunt #147, 4/21/2012:

With plenty of sunshine and warm temps, as in close to 80 today, I decided to head out on a new jaunt, even though I didn't get started until well past noon because I had Verizon out to the house to fix me up with their FIOS TV/phone/internet service. And since it was delightful warm and nice, I thought it was a good time to wear a skirt, namely my black Old Navy above the knee skirt which I paired with my red campshirt, the Blondo loafers and my trusty Buxton Bag. My first stop was to a local branch of my bank to tap the ATM, getting out of the car, I caught the puzzled stare of a Parking Authority Gestapo goon looking for cars to ticket, but that wasn't me as I paid for my time, so he otherwise ignored me, so did everyone else I happened upon while at the bank.

Stop number two was downtown and my favorite comic book shop. Because of the time of day, finding a place to park was a bit of a chore, one that took over half an hour before I managed to find a spot, but that was well over a block away from the store, but that was okay since that gave me an opportunity to be seen in my outfit and gauge reactions. The area was fairly busy, what with all the local eateries and people dining outside, but no one paid me any attention as I walked past. Let me tell you, it felt positively liberating to wear a skirt on a hot and sunny day like all the other girls and women, and, like them, I felt cool and refreshed to boot. Why guys avoid wearing a garment that can keep you comfortable on a hot day is beyond my comprehension. As usual, the gang at the comic shop greeted me warmly as always, despite how I dressed, and, along with a couple other patrons, we spent a solid ten minutes yakking about the upcoming live action Avengers (Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, not John Steed and Mrs. Peel) movie.

After leaving the store, I had just under half an hour to kill, so I just wandered around the Rittenhouse Square area, again, so I could be seen, and since it was mighty crowded in that area, I was, and then some, I did get a few stares and double takes here and there, but no giggles and/or guffaws. However, I did get a compliment from a couple of teenage girls who passed me by, one said, "Nice skirt, mister!" and the other added, "Looks cool on you!" I smiled back and thanked them for the kind words. Not bad, not bad at all. Once again, I showed that if you dress well and appropriately for the environment you happen to be in, people will look upon you in a positive light. And the positive reinforcement I had gotten made me happy to have worn that skirt.

post-228-133522981771_thumb.jpg

post-228-133522981776_thumb.jpg

post-228-133522981779_thumb.jpg

post-228-133522981781_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

See Jeff, even the teenagers are coming around.

I would agree. That had been a most pleasant little surprise when those girls complimented me. Cool!

johnneffde: A pity. That might have been fun. ilikekicks: I'm six foot two in my bare feet. So, in four or five inch heels, I tend to stand out! :unsure:

Well done JeffB. Nice outfit. It's also pretty cool that you got compliments from teenagers as they normally don't do much but giggle and take pictures with their cellphones. My niece is 13 and she seems pretty ok with my heels.

Well done JeffB. Nice outfit. It's also pretty cool that you got compliments from teenagers as they normally don't do much but giggle and take pictures with their cellphones.

Yeah, I know. Quite a refreshing change of pace.

My niece is 13 and she seems pretty ok with my heels.

It's good to know that teens can be openminded about alternative fashion.

As other have already commented - Looking Good!

I know that one encounter does not a trend make but ...

I did get a compliment from a couple of teenage girls who passed me by, one said, "Nice skirt, mister!" and the other added, "Looks cool on you!"

from two teenaged girls is amazing. I have come to expect the gaggle of giggly girls reaction, and to read that there is any other possible reaction from teenaged girls is a revelation.

Well done Jeff and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well done JeffB. Another nice looking outfit. I like the color combination ! But what a surprise to see you are not wearing heels ? Lucky for you the temperature was warm enough to wear a skirt. I woke up this morning and looked outside to see a trace of snow my neighbor's car...

• Like 1

Bluejay: Thanks for the kind words. Wearing skirts is great fun and I do all I can to look my very best in them. TBG: What happened on Saturday proved to me how I never know what to expect when I go on one of my little expeditions. It was refreshing to have encountered those girls who were both openminded and complimentary as well. Danielp6406: Thanks for the compliment. As for wearing skirts, temperature doesn't matter to me, I've worn them when it was 20 degrees and when it was 90 in the shade. It's just a matter of what I wear with them. Heh! Regarding heels, they're just part of what I wear with my outfits, not the be all and end all when I go on my outings.

• Like 1

Good to see your Jaunts again, Jeff! I was getting worried. You've got great legs for those skirts, I'm so jealous :mecry: The weather in the UK is too cold for short skirts, even in a pencil skirt I'm still cold :smile: Looking forward to your next jaunt :unsure:

• Like 1

Kilty: Thanks for the kind words. I'm lucky that I do manage to look good in a skirt, especially a short skirt, and I like to express how much fun it is to wear them in public. And the jaunts will keep on coming! canadianbeaver17: Indeed! I'm still rather surprised to have been complimented bythat particular demographic.

I'm trying to get out there more, I've got a cute denim skirt I wear, it's been so cold I bought myself some slips to wear under it :unsure: Still looking for some decent shoes for my outfit, my mrs has some old boots, with quite a chunky heel I might get, or just pick up a pair in a thrift store. looking forward to your next jaunt :mecry:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jaunt #148, 5/12/2012:

After what seemed like an eternity, sunshine and blue skies and warm temps returned to my neck of the woods the other day, and with conditions remaining the same today, I hit the road for a new outing. And because the weather was so gosh darn wonderful, I went out in a skirt, my familiar 22 inch denim skirt that I've had for almost four years now which I paired with a blue campshirt, the two inch heeled Blondo loafers and my trust Buxton Bag. I've said this before (and if you find this boring, forgive me), but I've become really comfortable and at ease wearing skirts on my outings, moreso at times than in heels, and that comfort shows in my deportment while out and about on my little expeditions.

Anyhoo, I headed into town to visit my favorite comic shop, this time, I managed to park literally across the street from the shop, so I went in, bought this week's new books and yakked some more about the live action Avengers film. After leaving the shop, I went around the corner to a nearby convienience store to buy a newspaper, but they were out, so I went to another store little over a block away, this afforded me an opportunity to be seen by passersby and folks dining outside eateries, but no one paid me any attention. I guess that a guy in a skirt is no big deal in downtown Philadelphia. And, by my attitude, calm and casual, like what I'm wearing is no big deal, I helped to reinforce that belief. And, as I stated in a previous post, wearing a short skirt in hot weather is a delightful experience because I'm left cool and comfortable because my legs aren't encased in stuffy material. I can't believe more guys haven't discovered or taken advantage of this wonderful pleasure!

From there, it was off to South Jersey and back to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. Even though the store was fairly crowded, no one gave me much if anything in the way of stares or double takes. Once I purchased my lunch, I sat down at a table, but I was right next to a young mother and three kids, none of whom looked to be any older than four or five. The kids did stare at me off and on (more on than off) while I ate, but I ignored them, and, much to my surprise, they didn't blab to high heaven about the guy in a skirt. I've had that happen a time or two and that's not exactly pleasant. That little brood left some ten minutes before I did, but the place had become even more crowded, but I walked right out the store, pretty as you please. My next stop was to Barnes & Noble where I spent well over half an hour in the lounge with a couple of magazines and a lemonade, sitting at a table, I crossed my legs like a woman so everyone could see me while I read and drank.

My next and final stop of the day was to the nearby Best Buy where I spent another half hour plus, wandering the aisles of goodies before leaving with Underworld: Evolution on Blu-Ray and a new pair of headphones as my old ones had given up the ghost. Once again, no one bothered me, no one stared or gawked, of course, someone might have snapped a pic on their camera equipped cellphone, but hey, that's the risk I take when I go out dressed the way I like. All in all, another good outing, and with warmer weather on the way, I foresee many more outings in skirts to come!

post-154-0-41682400-1336863603_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-48512300-1336863604_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-54802800-1336863605_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-62631200-1336863606_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I enjoy reading your stuff Jeff. Even if not much of anything happens. Nice outing.

• Like 1

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I enjoy reading your stuff Jeff. Even if not much of anything happens. Nice outing.

Many thanks. Well, if nothing happened during my outing, then that meant I was doing things right, that I dressed appropriately for my surroundings, thus avoiding any sort of fuss. I want to show through my actions that men CAN look tasteful in skirts and not be seen as some sort of freak or oddity.

• Like 2

JeffB.. I truly enjoy reading about your outings and I must admit, It has me stirring up the possibility that I might try doing a skirt sometime. I had surgery recently and cant wear pants. Well.. I can but the constriction of pants is causing flaring/swelling and more air circulation will help with the healing. Ive worn a few skirts around the house as of late and Darian bought me a Kilt. The comfort is a whole new story compared to regular pants. I just dont feel I could pull off a skirt. Heels/boots is one thing, but a skirt is another story ;) . Its not a confidence thing, but a ' I dont think I would look right ' or the whole ' self image ' of how I see myself dressed isnt there for it. -ILK.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

JeffB..

I truly enjoy reading about your outings and I must admit, It has me stirring up the possibility that I might try doing a skirt sometime.

I had surgery recently and cant wear pants. Well.. I can but the constriction of pants is causing flaring/swelling and more air circulation will help with the healing. Ive worn a few skirts around the house as of late and Darian bought me a Kilt. The comfort is a whole new story compared to regular pants.

I just dont feel I could pull off a skirt. Heels/boots is one thing, but a skirt is another story ;) .

Its not a confidence thing, but a ' I dont think I would look right ' or the whole ' self image ' of how I see myself dressed isnt there for it.

-ILK.

How interesting. Well, you never know what you can do until you try and see what happens. When I first contemplated wearing a skirt way back in 2008, I also didn't think I'd look good or look right in one, but I decided to go ahead and give it a go anyway, and I've been having fun ever since. Don't let self-image issues stop you from wearing a skirt if that's what you want to do. Sure, it's bound to be a tad unnerving at first, because, unlike heels, there's NO hiding a skirt while out in public, but if you look stylish and tasteful for whatever surroundings you happen to travel in, I think you'll do well. Good luck!

Jaunt #149, 5/13/2012:

With another sunny and warm day on tap, and a couple of errands that needed my attention, I decided to turn this into a jaunt, and, like yesterday, I ached to show off my legs, and I did so in a 17 inch beige skort paired with a blue polo shirt, the Payless "Janis" low-heeled pumps and a handbag. I suppose this could be seen as another example of pushing the envelope as this had been the first time I wore a skirt or skort that was so bright in color, and this, I figured was bound to attract attention, that and the fact it was very short, showing off plenty of leg, but that prospect excited me very much. My first stop was to a local ATM machine in the Univiersity City area for some cash, hopping out, I did catch the eyes of a group of young Asians, two males and three females, and they did give me a long look as I walked past, but nothing more. Like yesterday, I felt cool and comfortable, and the skort felt so light and airy, it was almost like I wasn't wearing anything at all. Along with the loud, solid clack of the two inch heels on the pavement, it combined to make me feel good.

From there, it was off to the main branch of the city's Post Office which had limited Sunday hours, and I had to mail off a parcel and buy a money order. Upon arriving, I hopped right out without hesitation and walked in, the line inside was seven deep, but I didn't mind, if anything, this would afford me the opportunity to gauge reactions of those around me, but other than a lady ahed of me saying hello, there were no reactions, no wide-eyed stares of double takes at the sight of a guy in a short skort and heels and hefting a handbag. Just going about my business, I paid for the money order and the parcel I had to mail, simple as that, and no one paid me any mind, something I found a tad curious, but I accepted that. After leaving the post office, I headed west to Springfield where I stopped at Subway for lunch, there were only four people in the shop, three teenagers treating their mom to lunch, something I thought was plenty cool. I did get a stare and cocked eyebrow from one of the kids, a girl, but nothing more than that, they left while I was halfway through my lunch and had the place to myself.

My last stop of the day was to Bed Bath & Beyond as I needed some washcloths, the store was pretty crowded, and I did get some stares, however, that was all I got as I casually wandered the aisles until I found what I wanted, paid for same then left. Another good jaunt, and all the while, I felt comfortable and at ease (and delightfully cool) in my outfit, as I've said before, wearing skirts and skorts is as natural and commonplace to me these days as wearing pants is to everyone else, and I've embraced that comfort level, on top of that, any chance I can get to show off my killer legs is worth the opportunity! Meanwhile, my next jaunt, my 150th WILL be in a dress! Count on that!

post-154-0-25021300-1336942261_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-33019800-1336942262_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-40989800-1336942263_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-47900300-1336942264_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the read JeffB! Your outings always seem so effortless and comfortable for you, it's a great attribute to have I think. Also congratulations on your next jaunt being your 150th documented!

• Like 1

JeffB, You had two nice outings, this past weekend. Your outfits looked very nice. I especially liked the off white skort and royal blue shirt. That is also a favorite color combination of mine. I like to wear the royal blue shirts with white pants, cropped jeans and white capris but I still have to wait to after Memorial Day to wear white! (I might hear from some fashion fashinato that white slacks, capris or shorts are for the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day, Ha Ha.) Happy Heeling, bluejay

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Much appreciated! By the by, bluejay, being something of a renegade, I decided not to wait for Memorial Day to wear a light colored item! HA!

Jeff, The denim skirt you wore in your most recent jaunt looks gorgeous :yummy: I wish I had the confidence you do, I feel so exposed when I'm out and about, yet I read of you just getting out there and going about your everyday duties... :cool1: I still stand like a man alot in a skirt, so I'm trying to learn your demure poses, but want to be able to comport myself in such a way it doesn't look forced :cry1: Looking forward to your next jaunt - wish we had better weather here in London, it's not exactly skirt-friendly at the minute with all this rain and cold winds... :text_sigh:

• Like 1

Jeff,

The denim skirt you wore in your most recent jaunt looks gorgeous :yummy: I wish I had the confidence you do, I feel so exposed when I'm out and about, yet I read of you just getting out there and going about your everyday duties... :cool1: I still stand like a man alot in a skirt, so I'm trying to learn your demure poses, but want to be able to comport myself in such a way it doesn't look forced :cry1:

Looking forward to your next jaunt - wish we had better weather here in London, it's not exactly skirt-friendly at the minute with all this rain and cold winds... :text_sigh:

Thank you for your kind words. I greatly appreciate them as I do my very best to look as stylish and tasteful as possible, and while I try to avoid tooting my own horn, I think I look damn good in a skirt, and that goes a long way towards the image I present while in public. Regarding the poses I display, it's all about practice, practice and still more practice (in private in front of a floor length mirror) so I don't affect the posture of, well, a man in a skirt, and I do all I can to walk, stand and even sit like a woman while out and about. It certainly takes a lot of work, but what I do can be done by others. I'm glad you enjoy my little adventures.

• Like 1

Jaunt #150, 5/19/2012

As promised, I wore a dress for my 150th jaunt, but I did a little tweaking here and there for this special occasion yesterday. Normally, I rarely if ever go out at night since I'm not a night person and I'm usually in bed by ten or so, but for this jaunt, I decided to pull out the stops and look really fancy, and I did by donning my sleeveless black sheath dress which I first wore a year ago around this time on my 100th jaunt along with my black blazer, off-black pantyhose, the Pleaser "Vanity" 4 inch heeled pumps in black patent and two new items: a black faux croc print clutch bag and a strand of pearls, yes, pearls. Looking at myself in the mirror, I nodded from appreciation, having arrived at the conclusion that I've never better, and I certainly felt fabulous, also, this outfit perfectly put into perspective my new philosophy on freestyling: "I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman".

Now, an outfit like this would've looked considerably out of place in broad daylight unless it was Sunday morning and I was headed to church (something I might consider in the future, I'm sure the Man upstairs doesn't care how his worshipers are dressed), so I decided to go out to dinner instead. With that in mind, I headed out to the western 'burbs and to Olive Garden, after arriving in the parking lot which was fairly full, I hopped out with no hesitation, feeling cool and calm and confident, I strolled to the restaurant, pretty as you please, thrilling to the clicking of my heels and how great it felt to be wearing a dress. When I entered, there were several patrons waiting to be seated, I got a couple of short stares and a cocked eyebrow, but nothing more than that. After a few minutes, a waitress gave me a smiled and took me into the dining area, the place was packed and I got a goodly number of stares, but I ignored them and strolled right past, feeling plenty bold and not caring about the reactions I got.

Admittedly, I did feel a wee bit self-conscious when I took off my blazer and displayed how broad shouldered I looked in the sleeveless dress, not to mention how snug it was, even though it was a size 16, the largest size available (If I'm going to continue wearing dresses, I might have to shop in the Plus size department in the future), but, all in all, no big deal. Even though the place was packed, no one gave me the time of day while I dined, enjoying chicken and shrimp carbonara which was fantastic while the person who waited on me was pleasant and professional from the word go, something I appreciated. As I finished, I got a pleasant surprise when a couple of black women around my age walked up to my table, one said I looked stylish while the other said she liked my pearls. With a smile, I thanked them both, adding that I didn't expect a compliment because of what I was wearing, the ladies pish-poshed and said they didn't care that I was a man in a dress, only that I dressed nice.

Pretty cool, eh? I certainly thought so. And, after paying my bill (giving my waitress a nice tip), I headed home on quite a high, thanks to those kind words I got. And with that, another push of my freestyling envelope was made as I dressed appropriately for a night out and had a great time, even if all I did was stuff my face. Heh! Bottom line, I felt comfortable and at ease, and that was the important thing, and it gave me courage to want to do something like this again in the future. More fun to come!

post-154-0-50000100-1337521157_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-64519300-1337521158_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-64392400-1337521159_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-64612000-1337521160_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Proof positive Jeff. If done right the sky's the limit. And people will have no problem with it.

• Like 1

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.