The Jaunts of JeffB!

JeffB

I would be interested in this as well! I am on the other side of Pennsylvania, but would love to see the K of P mall, and what better way to do it than with friends in heels!

My folks live near the K of P mall, so I'm familiar with it. If I wasn't already planning to make a trip out there over turkey day, I'd probably join you guys. Meeting JeffB and Rxrenesis would be a pleasure.

10/26/2008:

Last Saturday, I bought a pair of the Payless Lance Flex pumps in merlot, well, yesterday, I went on a little jaunt to break them in. Here's the outfit I wore on that trip:

Posted Image

My favorite black leather jacket over a dark red polo shirt I've had for a couple years and knew would match perfectly with the pumps along with black dress pants and sheer coffee pantyhose. Seeing this was the first time I've worn a color other than black or brown in public in several years, I had no idea how people would react to me, but I was determined to wear those shoes and see what would happen.

This time, I headed east into downtown Philly instead of west and the 'burbs, my destination being the Rittenhouse Square area which features a charming park where I could sit on a bench and be noticed. After taking some twenty minutes to find a parking spot, I headed first to the Barnes & Noble bookstore across the street from the park, walking slowly so people can see the pumps, much to my honest surprise, given the color of the shoes and how shiny they were, I didn't get so much as a double take or turned head.

Once inside the store, I leisurely wandered through the ground floor magazine section, looking for anything new that caught my eye, finally deciding on the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, I went up to the second floor where the in-store cafe was. After ordering a cup of tea, I sat down at a table, crossed my legs, the shoes easily seen by all and read. It was then that my trolling finally got me a bite, a woman who was a few years younger than me and wearing a nice skirt suit approached me, a look of curiosity on her face.

Woman: Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help but notice your shoes. They're really pretty. Where did you get them?

Me: Payless last weekend. They're called Lance Flex pumps.

Woman: I have to say I've never seen a man wearing woman's shoes. Why?

Me: Well, because I like to, nothing more complicated than that.

Woman: Pardon me for asking this, but don't you worry about being called gay?

Me: Nope, because I know I'm straight. Shoes have nothing to do with gender, that's a misconception society has a hangup on. I wear pumps because they look good me, plain and simple.

Woman: Well, I have to agree with you. I like how your pumps match that shirt you're wearing. You're really bold to wear shoes like those in public. My husband, despite being a he-man construction worker wouldn't have the balls to do that!

(Aside: Yes, she actually said that, laughing as she did)

With that, she said goodbye and left for church. That had been the first time in years I had anyone talk to me about the shoes I choose to wear, and I thought I handled the conversation well, even though I was a tad nervous at first. Fortunately I've gone over situations like that in practice for a long time, so I was ready with what I though were the proper answers. And I felt good for having articulated myself well. Whew!

After leaving the bookstore, I was feeling rather smug and pleased with myself after my chat with that woman. Around 12:30, I returned to the car and went back to the house as the Eagles were on at one, and nothing comes between me and watching the Birds, not even an outing in heels! Heh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

And the crowd goes wild! What a fantastic outing! First, you looked great. This is one of the reasons that I love wearing color...it can be so fun to try to match and you did so wonderfully. Let's face it, why buy great shoes if you want to hide them and if you are going to show them off, why buy boring shoes? You did neither and got great results. It seems like Philly offers some great options for heeling. Great options lead to great possibilities. Your interaction with the woman is such a great example. I'll bet that felt great! All in the same weekend that the Lions AND the Eagles did you right! Thanks for the very inspiring story.:winkiss:

Style is built from the ground up!

Good outing, Jeff. I particularly like the way you answered the "ladies" question. Straight forward, factual and without hesitation. Great Answer.:winkiss:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

“Fortunately I've gone over situations like that in practice for a long time, so I was ready with what I though were the proper answers.”

With all our advice (to ourself and others) on practicing walking in heels, this is a practice topic that has not been sufficiently encouraged. Other than, “I like them”, and “Thank you”, I don’t have a repertoire of responses. I’ll have to give this some more thought.

What an interesting concept “trolling” in heels. You never know what you will catch but it sounds like got got a good one.

Your image was, as expected, great - but I’m waiting for the colder weather to (in my opinion) improve your image with warmer footwear. :winkiss:

:nervous:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for your kind words on my appearance, everyone! I do as best I can. Like I said, I was pretty nervous when that woman approached me, so, much to my surprise, I was able to engage her in conversation about my heel wearing without sounding like a blithering idiot. That chat lasted no more than five minutes, but it seemed to go on for an hour. In any event, it was a great little experience I enjoyed, because I now know I can chat sensibly and intelligently about men and they high heels they wear. HappyFeat: Yeah, I had forgotten how much fun it was to wear colors other than black or brown. The attraction to the merlot pumps was how deep and rich the color was, not too muted, not too extravagant. And yeah, if one buys great looking shoes, then one HAS to wear them as well! TBG: Perhaps it's just me, but I've always thought that you have to be prepared to discuss heel wearing with curious bystanders should the opportunity present itself. Hmm, "trolling" in heels. I hadn't quite intended that to sound like it did. Heh! But yeah, I guess I was looking for opinions, either consciously or subconsciously. And, yeah, the thigh boots ARE at the ready! :winkiss:

Nice outfit and high heels, Jeff. And I am really impressed how fast you thought on you feet...in your high heels. It sounds like another sucessful outing and the was the exact correct thing to say to the young woman. Please keep sharing your experiences with us. It is great to see your success and you are an inspiration to us all.

roniheels: Thinking on my feet, yep, sure did. I still kinda amaze myself for having pulled that off so successfully, and I'm not exactly the most stimulating conversationalist either. Quite an accomplishment! Heh! But, seriously, that chat, brief as it was could've gone badly. I consider myself fortunate that woman was receptive to me and the shoes I wore, plus she was openminded enough not to harsh judge me because of my choice of footwear. Guess I was just lucky.

JeffB, great account of your encounter. As mentioned by Thighbootguy, just as practicing walking in heels before you go out in public is a good thing, so does running thru potential responses with interactions with anyone that confronts you. It just makes what could be a very awkward situation into something you can feel proud about, and only big your confidence further.

In regards to her reply:

...Woman: Well, I have to agree with you. ... You're really bold to wear shoes like those in public. My husband, despite being a he-man construction worker wouldn't have the balls to do that!

(Aside: Yes, she actually said that, laughing as she did)...

Two comebacks I thought of if you wanted to engage her further:

1. Maybe you need to be more persuasive then :winkiss: (winking while you say it).

2. I you ask him to wear a pair of heels for you on Halloween, I'm sure he'd do it for you.

I guess she was polite in saying pardon, but I still think it took some balls for her to ask you about being gay. On the other hand, it seems somehow refreshing that the woman had an honest converstaion with you. I think I'd much rather encounter that than having just disapproving looks from a distant woman.

• Like 1

I guess she was polite in saying pardon, but I still think it took some balls for her to ask you about being gay. On the other hand, it seems somehow refreshing that the woman had an honest converstaion with you. I think I'd much rather encounter that than having just disapproving looks from a distant woman.

Quite true, but I've rarely, if ever had a bad encounter with women while wearing heels, and that included co-workers at a previous place of employment who loved my taste in shoes. I can imagine that woman I encountered on Sunday was just as nervous about approaching me as I was about responding to her questions. But, yeah, I can imagine she probably was leery about posing the "gay question".

JeffB:-) Like you say---that woman might have been just as nervous approching you as you were answering her quiry. That can work both ways, but I think that you really did a great job of counterbalancing the conversation with her. I would be interested in any tips that you would be able to impart to the guys here in future conversations when encountered. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

JeffB:-)

Like you say---that woman might have been just as nervous approching you as you were answering her quiry. That can work both ways, but I think that you really did a great job of counterbalancing the conversation with her. I would be interested in any tips that you would be able to impart to the guys here in future conversations when encountered.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Tips? Well, first and foremost, it's important to be be calm as possible when approached by someone. Admittedly, I wasn't at first, but I collected myself quickly before launching into the conversation I had with that woman. It's also critical that you act casual, that you project the image of a man wearing high heels as something just as normal as a man wearing a hat. You should have memorized a set list of responses to such inevitable questions like:

1- Why are you wearing women's shoes?

2- How can you walk in high heels?

3- Don't you worry about being laughed at or called gay?

4- Where do you buy women's shoes that large?

Try to anticipate such questions in advance and have answers at the ready, again, act casual while responding, if you can, use a smile to disarm the questioner, give the impression that what you do is no big deal. Most of all, give answers that imply that shoes has nothing to do with gender, that it's a matter of fashion freedom. For the most part, the world at large will ignore you as they're wrapped up in their own lives and affairs, you could go weeks, months, even years without a perfect stranger asking about your shoes, but when it does happen, it helps to be ready as you can. Mind you, I'm hardly an expert in such matters, but I do as best I can and somehow mange to get by.

JeffB:-) Thanks for the heads-up reply. Not only do you manage to get by, but you really think fast on your feet, heeled or not, and that helps to put the person that is addressing you at ease right away. And like you say, a smile really helps also. They are just shoes anyway. :winkiss: Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

11/01/2008

I've had a pair of Payless "Hazel" pumps since late May, but had never worn them outside until today. For anyone who may have forgotten what they look like, here's a pic:

Posted Image

Don't ask why it's taken so long for me to get around to wearing the Hazel pumps outside, given how they're great looking shoes, but, hey, better late than never as I finally took them out in public for an outing, and enjoyed wearing them as the thin, three inch heels made just the sort of sharp, loud clacking on pavement and sidewalks that I simply love, and the pointed toes are very stylish. Here's the outfit I wore with them:

Posted Image

It was unusually warm for the first day of November with temperatures reaching a high of 70, so my windbreaker along with a short sleeved shirt, jeans and off-black kneehighs were perfect for said outing into South Jersey. My first stop was to the Cherry Hill Mall which is being renovated, it was just around noon when I arrived at the mall, entering the mall, it was fairly crowded, and somewhat constricted, what with construction going on just about everywhere. I also noticed that brand new tile was on the floor, so I exercised caution and walked slowly but casually so I didn't suffer a slip on the slick tile and take a tumble.

As was usually the case in my outings, I went unnoticed, despite the loud clacking of my heels. Imagine that. Going to the food court for lunch, I had a sub from Subway and ate in a crowded dining area, replete with plenty of kids, again, no one noticed, or if anyone did, they paid me no mind. After finishing my meal, I resumed my stroll through the mall, then left for a Borders a couple of miles away, in the store, I picked up the new issue of Sports Illustrated, sat on a bench and crossed my legs so the pumps could be seen and thumbed through the magazine. One elderly man with a cane gave me odd look but didn't say anything.

My last stop for the day was at a nearby Best Buy, again, no one made a fuss about my shoes, I was just another shopper, After buying Dr. No on Blu-Ray, I called it a day and returned home after an uneventful outing.

Great outfit and fun outing! I was thinking while reading about which kind of outing is better - the kind like you had yesterday where you just kind of blend in, or one where you draw attention and get noticed? I guess after giving it some thought, I like any outing because that's when I get to wear heels.

11/02/2008

Because Thighbootguy clamored for them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's right, friends, I finally broke out my thigh high boots (Pleaser Legend 8868 in black) and wore them on an outing today which I paired with my black leather jacket, a black turtleneck and gray, skin tight, men's lowrise jeans. After an unseasonably warm Saturday that saw a high of around 70, it was a good deal cooler today, perfect for wearing the boots. My travel plan was to the western suburbs and my first stop was at a Borders bookstore for some shopping and a hot cup of tea. After arriving at the store, it took a good ten minutes to get up the courage to leave the car as this was the first time I've worn thigh boots in three years, I was more than a little nervous and had to acclimate myself to wearing them again.

You see, it's one thing to discreetly wear heels under long pants or jeans, but with thigh boots, there's nowhere to hide, you're exposed for the entire world to see, that's what I had to get used to again, especially since this would only be the second time in my life I've ever been out in thigh boots. Finally I left the car and headed towards the store, the boots fit snugly and the 4 1/2 spike heels pleasantly sharp and loud on the gorund, silly as this seems, the clicking of the heels actually calmed me down and helped to build up my courage for this little adventure. Once inside the store where pretty much no one paid me any attention, I wandered the magazine aisles, picked up a few sport mags, then went to the store's coffee shop for that mug of tea to warm me up from being outside.

I sat with my tea and magazines in the lounge area, surrounded by several people, including a guy and girl in the early twenties, again, there was no hiding the boots, but I was now okay with that, I didn't mind being in that all too obvious fishbowl as I read and sipped my tea. Fifteen minutes in, the couple got up to leave, as they passed me by, the boy said to me, "Cool boots, dude!" I grinned and told him thanks. Didn't expect that, a compliment from a male on my wearing women's shoes, definitely a first for me, and I enjoyed that. After I finished my tea, I got in line to pay for my magazines, the cashier glanced down at the boots and grinned before ringing up my purchase. Having not just one person, but two acknowledge the boots was rather exhilarating to say the least. I got a kick out of that.

On the road again, emboldened from being in the bookstore, I drove to Best Buy for another James Bond Blu-Ray disc. For anyone who's ever shopped in Best Buy, the place can be packed on a Sunday, and that was the case here, but I just strolled in the store like any other customer, wandered around the aisles so I could be seen (but not acknowledgment of the boots) before making my purchase and heading out after a good twenty minutes in the store. My final stop was at Home Depot for fresh batteries to put in my smoke detectors, I thought I heard someone mutter, "Damn! I thought Halloween was over!" but I paid that no mind, after all these years, I've gotten used to odd comments on my footwear. After buying my batteries, it was back to the barn in time to gorge on the day's NFL action.

All in all, another good outing, but wearing my thigh boots made it just a little more special to me. It was a lot of fun to wear the boots and, at times, it was all I could do not to stare at my reflection as I looked damn good in them. Already, I can't wait for another opportunity to wear the boots!

My final stop was at Home Depot for fresh batteries to put in my smoke detectors...

You do know that Best Buy also sells batteries, right?

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Damn! That about sums it all up! The boots are incredible, how could you not have worn them out. Your whole ensemble works so well, especially the gray, tight jeans..perfect for the boots. There were two things you said in your post that I think are important. You have been quite the inspiration to me as long as I have been a member, so I think it is important to note that you were a bit nervous before going into the bookstore wearing your boots and second that you felt emboldened when you left the bookstore and decided to continue your outing. The first one is important to me because, as you know I have recently worn some daring shoes out. Even in more conservative shoes I get a bit nervous before taking that first step in public. For a lot of guys who don't heel often or are new to it, I get the feeling that they let this feeling overwhelm them- at least I did when I was less experienced. The fact is each experience is unknown and that will never change. I like how you just jump out and head into whatever you are doing like the shoes- in this case boots- are just shoes (boots.) The second is something I experience all of the time. After feeling a bit nervous at first, when the experience goes well, you want to continue for a bit longer. This again is important for less experienced heelers to learn. Once you feel OK, just wear the shoes like you were born to and enjoy your outing. Of course, I think we are in agreement that you can wear more discreet heels (or clothes for that matter) but you really can NEVER totally hide them in public, so you might as well wear what you want. The reactions seem to be the same for either kind of shoes- not really much at all! Thanks, Jeff! What a wonderful outing!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I appreciate them!

SandalFan: Yeah, I know that, but they didn't have 9V batteries on the shelves, and that's what I needed for my smoke detectors.

Dawn HH: Well, I'm not up there with TBG yet, I mean, he wears short skirts with his thigh boots! I'm quite at that lofty level! HA!

HappyFeat: Very thoughtful comments, my friend. First things first, wearing tight jeans with boots is a blast, and, at the risk of tooting my own horn, I look damn good! HA! Yeah, despite being a "veteran" to the male heeling scene, I still get nervous before stepping out on outings, a natural reaction because every time we go out in heels, we're entering a world of unknown variables with no way of being to anticipate what may or may not happen, no way of knowing how the world will react to us, and dealing with the unknown is what invariably makes us nervous, even afraid.

For newbies to the scene, that fear is many times greater, which is why a few of them never leave the safety and security of their closets. I understand that fully because that easily could've been me if I hadn't discovered HH Place, but by staying in that closet, you never get to experience the joy of being out in heels. Once you've broken the ice, you discover that the big, bad world isn't as scary as you envisioned. I hope that by relating my little adventures, explaining how even I get jittery, I'm giving rookies to the scene hope that they too can conquer their fears and venture into public wearing the shoes that they love.

JeffB –

So it’s all my fault that you dusted off your thigh boots and went out and had a great time. Consider me appropriately badgered and chagrin.

Kidding aside, the outfit looks great. A long time ago (24th September 2003, 13:59) I posted what I considered to be my favorite thigh boot look. Unfortunately, the link in that post no longer works but I have the image on another computer and I’ll post it tonight (not attached). Other than the fact that my picture was of a white female that is chin droppingly cute:penitent:, your look and the picture are identical. Well Done!

You description of the outing made me feel like I could have been walking in your shoes…boots rather. The reactions you got were typical of the reactions I get, and what I was hoping you would get. I would have felt bad if the folks in your part of the world had acted differently.

I can only echo you comments to the newbies about how much fun it is to conquer your fears and venture out. The “conquer your fears” is also good for you. The venture out is just a conformation.

Again, Well Done. :winkiss:

And not that the weather is colder…

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

JeffB –

So it’s all my fault that you dusted off your thigh boots and went out and had a great time. Consider me appropriately badgered and chagrin.

Yeah! You're fully to blame for all the fun I had the other day! Shame on you! HA!

Kidding aside, the outfit looks great. A long time ago (24th September 2003, 13:59) I posted what I considered to be my favorite thigh boot look. Unfortunately, the link in that post no longer works but I have the image on another computer and I’ll post it tonight (not attached). Other than the fact that my picture was of a white female that is chin droppingly cute:penitent:, your look and the picture are identical. Well Done!

I remember that pose. Thanks for posting that pic. Quite sharp if I do say so myself! I might try to duplicate it because it's stunning!

You description of the outing made me feel like I could have been walking in your shoes…boots rather. The reactions you got were typical of the reactions I get, and what I was hoping you would get. I would have felt bad if the folks in your part of the world had acted differently.

Not to worry. I've yet to have a bad or even a subpar outing in whatever heels I chose to wear, and wearing the thigh boots was an incredible rush. Now, this is bound to sound loopy, but there were times I actually felt, well---sexy from the combination of black leather, tight jeans and the thigh boots! It was all just so much FUN! Makes me wish I had gone out in them sooner than this. Now that the weather's turned chillier, there WILL be future outings in the boots! Count on it!

I can only echo you comments to the newbies about how much fun it is to conquer your fears and venture out. The “conquer your fears” is also good for you. The venture out is just a conformation.

Quite right! The feeling of euphoria that comes from conquering your fears and enjoying an outing in whatever heels you wear is intoxicating when you realize those fears weren't a fraction as terrible as you imagined, and the joy of being on an outing is wonderful stuff! I only wish those still afraid and in the closet can enjoy what we experience when out and about in heels.

I have tried to duplicate that look, but lacking sufficient hair, and the requisite black leather jacket :winkiss: , I have never been able to do it. I did make a try, however, and posted the results in the Mirror Mirror thread. I don’t think that is what you meant when you said, “I might try to duplicate it”, but it was my fun trip into Fantasy Land.

The model is Krista :sad: , from the defunked thighboots.com

Your comment, “I actually felt, well---sexy” surprised me (no offence). I haven’t experienced that. For me it has just been a fun way to get attention and more recently just a comfortable way to dress.

Caution Thighbootguy on his soapbox:

I realize that you and I (and a few others) have been going off the deep end over how much fun it is to wear thigh boots out in public but it may not be the thing for everyone (if it were there would be more females wearing them). I’m sure there are some reading this that are thinking, “There out of their minds”. Without commenting on the accuracy of that observation, I will suggest that wearing thighboots out and about really does push you to a new level of heeling that requires breaking out of self imposed shells. Aside from the heeling being fun, the breaking of the shell is good for you, at least is has been for me.