The Happy Feats of HappyFeat

HappyFeat

Just returned from my first outing of 2009! I went dancing at a club I frequent with some acquaintances. I wore a white dress shirt, Lane Bryant straight leg jeans, and black platform stiletto Baker's "Kamilla" pumps. I wore a black suede jacket, which i took off while dancing. I know the straight leg jeans are not the best look for me, but I think they are fun anyway and they show off the shoes very well. I went without hosiery, which I seldom do but I think the look was OK. I met my friends at a bar before dancing. The bar was very very slow. We talked for a bit, had a cocktail and I promised one of the ladies that I would take her shopping to find a new wardrobe. We'll se if she calls. The club was also very slow. I danced a few numbers with a slightly overweight woman who was wearing killer boots tucked into her jeans and a fairly cute blonde who was wearing gold stiletto sandals of all things on a pretty cold night. Both women were attached and never even mentioned my heels. Afterward, I stopped at a convenience store that prepares hot food to get a bottle of water for the morning. The place is typically full of drunk college age people and I usually don't stop in heels, especially when I am wearing them as obviously as I was tonight. I just went in, got my water, stood in line and check out. Nobody said a thing, though a few of the two dozen or so people in the place did notice. But the great thing is I just went about my business and didn't care. All in all it was a pretty slow night, but I did finally get to wear my Baker's pumps, where were surprisingly comfortable for being on my feet for several hours. Though there isn't much to report, it was my first outing of the New Year.

post-5655-133522877113_thumb.jpg

post-5655-133522877118_thumb.jpg

post-5655-13352287712_thumb.jpg

Style is built from the ground up!

Not bad for a first outing of the new year! The Baker pumps looked good on you, as for the skinny jeans, they have to be an acquired tatse as not everyone can wear them properly, be they male or female, but I thought you did well. Big props to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Not bad for a first outing of the new year! The Baker pumps looked good on you, as for the skinny jeans, they have to be an acquired tatse as not everyone can wear them properly, be they male or female, but I thought you did well. Big props to you, my friend!

Thanks, JeffB. I am still not sold on them, but since I tend to be a bit obsessive about my options, I just had to try them. Actually, I am reluctant to call them "skinny" jeans...I did buy them at Lane Bryant and I was the one wearing them, after all. Not often than skinny and me are in the same paragraph...:thumbsup:

I do enjoy them and will continue to wear them. However, I was reading in the paper than "skinny" pants are on their way out in 2009.

The shoes look good. The bows give them a real "girly" look.:winkiss:

Thanks. Girly shoes obviously don't scare me.:welcome: I could wear pink Mary Janes with a frilly dress and I am pretty sure I could take the feminine right out of it. Actually, the shoes have buckles, not bows, but my mediccre photography has a way of hiding things.

Actually, the jeans do suite you very well. They do have a "slimming" affect and the overall impression is one of a really good fit. While is is one thing for girls slim jeans to go out of style for women, it wouldn't matter to men, would it? I mean, you are after a look that goes well with heels aren.t you? That's what I'd care about. Not that they've gone out of style for women. Well done and the shoes do look great with the entire outfit. :thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thanks, JeffB. I am still not sold on them, but since I tend to be a bit obsessive about my options, I just had to try them. Actually, I am reluctant to call them "skinny" jeans...I did buy them at Lane Bryant and I was the one wearing them, after all. Not often than skinny and me are in the same paragraph...:thumbsup:

I do enjoy them and will continue to wear them. However, I was reading in the paper than "skinny" pants are on their way out in 2009.

Really? Boy, it's sure's difficult keeping up with all the latest and greatest fashion trends!

Happyfeat:-) Even though you thought the evening slow it was still a good first night out for you in the New Year. As to the skinny jeans, I thought that over all your outfit was well co-ordinated and looks good on you, shoes and all. I too thought that the shoes had a bow on them instead of a buckle. Either way a little decoration never hurt the overall look a bit. I like those shoes and they look good on you. I have had bakers shoes and they are quite comfortable for long hours in them. You don't want to take them off in the end. Thanks for sharing with us all. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Recently, I have had trouble keeping my cell phone charged, so I don't carry it everywhere I go. I came home from my last outing and had a message from my local Lane Bryant store asking if I was interested in trying on a couple of pair of ankle boots that were just returned to their store. The store usually doesn't carry shoes, but since they were returns I guess it was easier than having to ship them back to the distribution center. So, on Saturday morning, I called and told them I would be in to try the boots. I typically go to this store only when wearing heels and the staff knows of my love of heels and feminine jeans/pants, etc. I was pretty amazed that they would make the effort to call me about shoes, but my reputation must be growing. In a way, this made me feel pretty good- not only would they think that I would like the boots and make an effort to call me, but there I now know I have been truly accepted as a guy in heels. I wore a black silk sweater, a pair of LB boot cut jeans, and my red Bandollino "Anthem" MJ's. I almost put on a skirt for my outing, but it was pretty cold and I wimped out. When I arrived at the store I was greeted by a clerk that I have only met a couple of times. She is about 30, very attractive, and quite professional. She was wearing a sweater, plaid skirt, black sheer nylons, and cute MJs with a small heel- very well dressed indeed. She got the boot for me and took me to a bench outside the dressing rooms and talked while I tried them on. When I set down, she told me how much she loves my red shoes and said she also liked my slingbacks I wore in the last time she saw me, but the red are her favorite. I thanked her and told her how much I loved her outfit and her MJs she was wearing and we agreed we were both suckers for Mary Janes. As I slipped off my shoes, she noticed my nails (the purple polish is still holding strong after nearly a month!) We talked about the color, she slipped off her shoe and showed me her color (a purple a bit redder than mine, or at least as near as I could tell through her nylons). We then talked about pedicures, where to get a good one, good nail polish, etc. I tried the boots, which were a size 12 Wide. The length as OK, but the wide width just made them a bit too big. The brown ones were nice, but the black ones were just not my style. In any case, they were a bit conservative for me. The clerk had left as I tried on the second pair, so I boxed them back up, put the inserts back in, slipped on my shoes and went to the counter to return the boots. When I arrived at the counter they were just being slammed with customers, maybe a line 12 deep. I decided to hang around the store a bit since I really wanted to thank the manager for thinking to call me. I browsed the clearance rack and the other items in the store for a good half hour and actually found a nice gray knee length skirt on super clearance. When the lines settled down, I went to pay at the register with the clerk who helped me with the boots. She rang me up and we chatted for a bit about her just coming back to work after being off for 5 years as a stay at home mom. The manager came by after helping another person and asked me what I got. I told her and we all three chatted for a bit. The manager told me that they talk about me "all the time." When trying to make a sale, they will tell a customer that a "guy who comes in bought that and he looks good in it." To this she said they would ask if I was gay and she replied to them the "he loves women more than any man she ever met." The manager even made me spin for a few customers to show off my jeans. We had a nice talk, the three of us and I left when the store became busy once again. All in all, it is nice that I am thought of in this way. After LB, I headed to the bookstore to get a book on my new camera. I browsed for a few minutes, talked to a guy who worked there about new photography books that are coming in, and had a group of high school age girls each pass by me to check out my shoes. When I was checking out, the clerk gave me a big grin and told me she liked my "outfit." I thanked her and gave her a wink as I was walking through the door.

post-5655-133522877497_thumb.jpg

post-5655-1335228775_thumb.jpg

I'm going to refer back to Happyfeat's visit for an eye exam. I did exactly the same thing when I went for my last eye exam, except I went in my favorites, 4.5" high-heel clogs. Comfortable and easy to walk in, but no matter what style heels you wear, watch out for slippery floors. (I know from experience). Come to think of it, I've hurt myself in sneakers/trainers, when I failed to tuck away the #$%@* laces, something that only one pair of my heels has (high-heel oxfords from Payless). And yes, I'll go there and try on anything that interests me.

Another great outing HappyFeat, congrats :thumbsup: When I go to Aldo or Spring store to buy shoes or boots, the sales personel recognize me but the store is always full with customers. We only have time to discuss about my purchase and nothing more. You are a very lucky guy. Can't wait to read your next post !

Actually, the jeans do suite you very well. They do have a "slimming" affect and the overall impression is one of a really good fit. While is is one thing for girls slim jeans to go out of style for women, it wouldn't matter to men, would it? I mean, you are after a look that goes well with heels aren.t you? That's what I'd care about. Not that they've gone out of style for women.

Well done and the shoes do look great with the entire outfit.

Again thank you for the complements! They do have a nice slimming effect and they are remarkable comfortable. One thing I do like about them is that they are not as tight as other skinny jeans.

Absolutely, part of the fun is finding the right look, not only for me but as a guy in heels. That's one of the great things about HHPlace, at least for me, is experimenting with looks and getting feedback. I have often though that wearing heels is a bit out of the ordinary, so sweating what is in style for either men or women is not really applicable. So, wearing sandals in December (on a warm day that is) or working with different fits of pants are just a different way of making a different statement.

Really? Boy, it's sure's difficult keeping up with all the latest and greatest fashion trends!

Well, I did read it in the Pittsburgh paper...you know the fashion Mecca of Western Pennsylvania. I wish they would run an article saying Uggs and flip-flops (I actually say a girl wearing flip-flops Saturday night when it was 25 degrees) were out, but the Mullet seems to be lingering as a hair style here as well.

Happyfeat:-)

Even though you thought the evening slow it was still a good first night out for you in the New Year.

As to the skinny jeans, I thought that over all your outfit was well coordinated and looks good on you, shoes and all. I too thought that the shoes had a bow on them instead of a buckle. Either way a little decoration never hurt the overall look a bit. I like those shoes and they look good on you. I have had bakers shoes and they are quite comfortable for long hours in them. You don't want to take them off in the end. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Thanks for the complement. I seem to be developing a taste for shoes with a small amount of decoration. Maybe as I become more confident wering my heels (and I am finding that I can always get more confidence) I am trying styles that I really like.

This is my only pair of Baker's so far. Of course I only shop clearance there and they don't seem to carry many styles in an 11 in any case. The clerks are always surprised when I ask for something and they have it. I have tried many of their shoes in a 10 and they almost fit, so I know an 11 in the styles would be divine. It may also seem a bit silly, but as a guy in his 40's most of their stuff seems a bit too young for me. But as I wrote above, I shouldn't let that bother me. However, right now it does. I will probably get over it however.

I'm going to refer back to Happyfeat's visit for an eye exam. I did exactly the same thing when I went for my last eye exam, except I went in my favorites, 4.5" high-heel clogs. Comfortable and easy to walk in, but no matter what style heels you wear, watch out for slippery floors. (I know from experience). Come to think of it, I've hurt myself in sneakers/trainers, when I failed to tuck away the #$%@* laces, something that only one pair of my heels has (high-heel oxfords from Payless). And yes, I'll go there and try on anything that interests me.

I am glad I wore heels to my eye exam. They should be calling me back to pick up the glasses I ordered and I will likely wear heels when I do that. For me it is about trying new things in new situations and eventually wear heels most places I go. It has been a fun process and I am really enjoying pushing new boundaries.

Of course since many of you have gone different places in heels, I am always open to new suggestions and ideas. I am hoping for another extended outing this week. It has been too long since I have had the chance to spend the whole day in heels.

This is my only pair of Baker's so far.

It may also seem a bit silly, but as a guy in his 40's most of their stuff seems a bit too young for me.

But you are far from wrong! Bakers is geared to the teens/20s/30s crowd (and mostly the teens/20s) so some of their stuff would be as silly as wearing "young men's" or "juniors" clothing. Yes, some of the things are fine but as a rule, well...........

And as I'm a guy in the 50s.............

It's all about the heel!

Happyfeat:-) You couldn't be in a better situation at that particular Lane Bryant store than you are right now. Are you at liberty to let us know which store that is but if you don't wish to, I'll understand. It might benefit us local guys if they would want to shop there for the atmosphere. In any event, cudos to you for being able to advance men wearing heels to the point that you have. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Another great outing HappyFeat, congrats :thumbsup:

When I go to Aldo or Spring store to buy shoes or boots, the sales

personel recognize me but the store is always full with customers.

We only have time to discuss about my purchase and nothing more.

You are a very lucky guy. Can't wait to read your next post !

Yes, I do consider myself lucky. I guess what I usually try to do is wait a bit to see if the store slows down a little before asking to try anything, that way I can get some attention from the staff, as well as engage them in conversation. For me, this has been a learning process that has nothing to do with wearing heels specifically, but more about life in general. I just ry to slow down, relax and enjoy what is going on around me.

But what makes me lucky is having a fairly flexible schedule that gives me ample time off, so I can go heeling when the crowds are not out. For that I am truly lucky as well.

But you are far from wrong! Bakers is geared to the teens/20s/30s crowd (and mostly the teens/20s) so some of their stuff would be as silly as wearing "young men's" or "juniors" clothing. Yes, some of the things are fine but as a rule, well...........

And as I'm a guy in the 50s.............

I see your point and I do look at 90% of their shoes and know that they just aren't my taste. But as I replied to Bubba earlier, when searching for a style with heels, I don't want to be restricted to traditional fashion boundaries that are mainly targeted toward women anyway. As a man wearing heels, are we bound by the same restrictions since we are already crossing a pretty big barrier anyway? Just a thought...

Very inspiring tales HF. You are truly a few steps ahead of me on the outing spectrum. Even though I heel in public nearly every day, I have yet to walk into a store to get my heels and womens jeans, I am still an online shopper for those items. I don't know, I just can seem to make that final leap yet. I am fine being seen in public with a look pretty close to yours, but when it comes to long interactions with people while doing this, knowing the person is fully focused on what I am doing (ie. shoe/clothing salesperson, etc), I am still not there. Perhaps, its coming, I think 2008 was a big leap forward for me as I was not even street heeling in 2007, then I started the year being pretty stealthy about my heels, and now I think I am pretty open about it, as its obvious what I am doing. I do go into stores and buy everyday items while heeling, I walk the mall while heeling, but just not that final step. I guess I still have some desire to not draw extra attention to myself. If I am just walking around, even with heels in full view, 90% of the people don't even notice it, once I draw their attention to me (ie. to talk about shoes or clothing), I feel that 90% safety net falls apart, and that is probably where my comfort level plummets. Well, keep the great tales coming HF, I seek further inspiration from you to maybe take that last step someday soon. :thumbsup:

I see your point and I do look at 90% of their shoes and know that they just aren't my taste. But as I replied to Bubba earlier, when searching for a style with heels, I don't want to be restricted to traditional fashion boundaries that are mainly targeted toward women anyway. As a man wearing heels, are we bound by the same restrictions since we are already crossing a pretty big barrier anyway? Just a thought...

No, I do agree with you! We have already crossed that great divide in greater or lesser terms. And I don't think that women (or men for that matter) necessarily respect the "age" barrier that we have been talking about. As an example, at 56, I love skinny jeans and have six (men's) pairs and wear them frequently; even my stepdaughter told me once that "you're wearing young boy's jeans!".

So, my friend, do and wear what you think is best for you - let us all do the same!!!

It's all about the heel!

Very inspiring tales HF. You are truly a few steps ahead of me on the outing spectrum.

One thing that I have found is that I am evolving as a heeler. last year at this time, I was wearing heels a lot, but still was full of nerves and butterflies. I often heeled for extended periods away from my hometown and I was certain NOBODY would know me. When i was at home and went heeling, it was very discreetly and cautiously.

That's where HHPlace has been a big help to me. There are a lot of very supportive people here who inspired me either with their stories or their attitudes. Its easy to say, "don't worry what others think" or "just go do it", but we all move at our own pace. When I wear heels now, it is without reservation or fear mainly because this site provides such a wonderful body of knowledge for support, friendship, and information.

Even though I heel in public nearly every day, I have yet to walk into a store to get my heels and womens jeans, I am still an online shopper for those items. I don't know, I just can seem to make that final leap yet.

Actually, I found this to be quite easy, and yes I was surprised. Frankly, I had visited several stores long before finding my niche. I started by shopping at self-serve shoe stores, then making the leap to department store shoe departments (where I would have never dreamed of trying heels on in public, but eventually did) and finally stores like Nine West, Baker's and Aldo where I have found the employees to be very helpful and supportive.

This wasn't always the case at first. Many times I would go into a store and be totally ignored or treated distantly at best or rudely at worst. After a while, I figured that appearing too nervous may have been off-putting to people- kind of like being perceived as a "creepy guy wearing high heels over in the corner." Once I started simply acting like myself (notice I didn't say 'normal') things changed dramatically.

Now there are several stores I go in and people actually will actually be glad to see me or have things for me to try. I even have a pair of boots that are being held for me at a shoe store at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I do feel fortunate, but I think its just the result of being a good customer as well as just being comfortable in my own skin (and heels), not to mention spending a great deal of money on basically a new wardrobe. This is just the process that I am working through and I am willing to bet every guy here who is a confident heeler has gone through.

I am fine being seen in public with a look pretty close to yours, but when it comes to long interactions with people while doing this, knowing the person is fully focused on what I am doing (ie. shoe/clothing salesperson, etc), I am still not there.

Like I said, I don't think I was fully there until very recently. I think I had my first true "long interaction" only last fall, and I have been wearing heels out for years. I guess for me it is about slowing down and allowing it to happen, which indecently was advice I was given by a member of this forum in another thread.

Perhaps, its coming, I think 2008 was a big leap forward for me as I was not even street heeling in 2007, then I started the year being pretty stealthy about my heels, and now I think I am pretty open about it, as its obvious what I am doing. I do go into stores and buy everyday items while heeling, I walk the mall while heeling, but just not that final step. I guess I still have some desire to not draw extra attention to myself. If I am just walking around, even with heels in full view, 90% of the people don't even notice it, once I draw their attention to me (ie. to talk about shoes or clothing), I feel that 90% safety net falls apart, and that is probably where my comfort level plummets.

Well, there you go! You are pretty aware of who you are and what you comfort level is. My experience has taught me to always push my comfort level just a little bit most times I go heeling. Set a goal, have a plan for those outings. You seem to be pretty close to making it happen.

One of the things I did after I decided to commit myself to wearing heels on a regular basis was to start a thread on HHPlace. Not only did I get a lot of support, ideas, and critique, it helped me try to have longer and more invigorating experiences. The feedback I have received from forum members has been invaluable. Now when I go heeling, I can share my experiences and get feedback, but writing about it also helps me analyze the experiences.

Well, keep the great tales coming HF, I seek further inspiration from you to maybe take that last step someday soon. :welcome:

I have received a lot of encouragement from members such as JeffB, Dawn_HH, Kneehighs, Johniheel, roniheels, Bootking, radiodave, and on and on and on (I always hate making these lists because I know that I have left somebody out- sorry) and I feel compelled to contribute my experiences to other guys who share the same love of heels as I do- kind of like a chain until all guys who want to wear heels do so.

A lot of the time, I feel a bit vain by writing these long adventures, but the process is really valuabe to me as I search for my comfort zone.

This is an exciting process and I know you will find your comfort zone- sooner rater than later!

No, I do agree with you! We have already crossed that great divide in greater or lesser terms. And I don't think that women (or men for that matter) necessarily respect the "age" barrier that we have been talking about. As an example, at 56, I love skinny jeans and have six (men's) pairs and wear them frequently; even my stepdaughter told me once that "you're wearing young boy's jeans!".

Well your stepdaughter is just silly and needs to be reminded that age has nothing to do with wanting to look good (hot). Remind her that it won't be long until somebody is saying the same things to her...we all get old (if we are lucky, at least):thumbsup:

In general terms, I think we are fashion pioneers more so than just heelers!

So, my friend, do and wear what you think is best for you - let us all do the same!!!

Everybody should do the same, I agree totally! In fact, the world as a whole is just too uptight about way too many things. What we wear should be the least of it...as long as it looks good...

Well your stepdaughter is just silly and needs to be reminded that age has nothing to do with wanting to look good (hot). Remind her that it won't be long until somebody is saying the same things to her...we all get old (if we are lucky, at least)

Yes, she is silly in more ways than one, but the "young boy's jeans" WAS A COMPLIMENT! It's nice to get them every so often!

It's all about the heel!

Today was a pretty exciting day for me, not only did I become a Gold Member at HHPlace, I got a chance to do a little heeling. Even though the weather was a rough (freezing rain, cold, etc.) I wasn't about to pass up a chance to get out in heels. My holiday break ends next week and work will likely take over my life for a while, so heeling opportunities are quite precious. I wore a thin wool Italian turtleneck sweater, khaki Lane Bryant wide leg trousers, and camel Nine West "Rhythems" boots. The boots have a square toe and a very nice block heel. I have the same boots in black but, Bootking has been talking about his Nine West 'Goor" boots in bone, so I was inspired to wear the camel. My first stop was the city building to pay my water bill, then I went to the bank, and finally to pay my car insurance. These stops are new to me, though I have been banking at a different branch wearing heels this was my first time to the branch where people know me. I did notice one of the women at the bank glance at my heels, but that was the only heel related interaction that I had at any of these places. I decided that I would got to JC Penny to see if the glasses I ordered came in. Actually, I was going to wear heels when I picked them up, since I had worn them when I made the appointment as well as for the eye exam. The optician glanced at my boots a couple of times while fitting me, but made no comment and had no change in her interaction with me. Only one pair of the three I ordered had come in, so I will have a chance to wear another pair of heels again soon! When I was leaving the optical department, three of the girls working in the salon next door were out front and greeted me with enthusiastic "hellos!" I wasn't thinking, but maybe they noticed the boots. When I check in for the next pair of glasses, maybe I will stop in and check about an appointment. Since I was in the shopping center, I stopped in at Lane Bryant because they had a pair of pants that I passed on the other day and decided that I really couldn't justify not buying a pair of $12 pants. The manager was glad to see me and we chatted about her finally getting over the stress of the holiday season and not missing the seasonal help that drove her crazy. We probably talked for an hour before I even got to try on the pants. The strangest thing that happened was the manager was training a new employee and she had the new girl use me as a "dummy" to learn how to measure women for bras (apparently I am a 46 B, which I didn't even know existed), but it was fun anyway. I think I may just be a bit too familiar there! I will likely get out again tomorrow for another brief outing and I am hoping for an extended, all day outing very soon.

post-5655-133522877647_thumb.jpg

post-5655-13352287765_thumb.jpg

While you are obviously wearing shoes styled for women, they don't really look that out of place with the way you are dressed. The color matches the rest of your outfit. I would think that only the squared toe and, perhaps, the shape of the heel, would lead one to believe that the shoes were, in fact, women's style shoes. Other than having a person that is more attentive or observant than the average person. Otherwise, no one, in my opinion, would bother to take a second glance. :thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hello! I came across the HH website a couple of days ago and I am now a member. I have enjoyed reading about your escapades and am delighted that there are so many folk whose eccentricities are the same as mine! I get a kick out of wearing my heels and a skirt, too. I don't have any hang-ups about wearing heels out and about but have yet to venture out in a skirt. Maybe I should get a kilt!!

While you are obviously wearing shoes styled for women, they don't really look that out of place with the way you are dressed. The color matches the rest of your outfit. I would think that only the squared toe and, perhaps, the shape of the heel, would lead one to believe that the shoes were, in fact, women's style shoes. Other than having a person that is more attentive or observant than the average person. Otherwise, no one, in my opinion, would bother to take a second glance. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bubba136. I really do appreciate your fashion critiques as of late. Yes, when looking at the outfit, from the last posted outing, I am particularly proud of what I pulled together. One of my many goals is to incorporate women's clothing into a good look for a man and I think it does that while not being obvious of what I am trying. However, I would disagree that the average person wouldn't have given me a second look...I am gorgeous after all. And diluted. :welcome:

Hello! I came across the HH website a couple of days ago and I am now a member. I have enjoyed reading about your escapades and am delighted that there are so many folk whose eccentricities are the same as mine!

I get a kick out of wearing my heels and a skirt, too. I don't have any hang-ups about wearing heels out and about but have yet to venture out in a skirt. Maybe I should get a kilt!!

Well, thanks for the nice comments and welcome to HHPlace. I am honored that you chose to reply to my outing as your very first post and I hope to see many more all across the board.

Advice I was given in the past is to do what you are comfortable with doing. You should relay some of your heeling stories- everybody enjoys a good tale from being out in heels.

HappyFeat: Brilliant commentary, my friend! I couldn't agree more with evverything you've said. I've always been of the opinion that it's not enough to just wear women's shoes, you HAVE to put together an entire outfit that looks well and matches well with whatever shoes you wear. Tops, bottoms, outerwear (in winter), even hosiery for those inclined to wear same, you HAVE to look your absolute best from head to toe, you HAVE to make the shoes part of your overall look so you don't stand out or look strange to the world as a whole. It's all about style and fashion, not just the shoes. That's my philosophy, and it should be everyone's here.

Thanks for the gracious welcome. My first experience of heels was when i was on holiday in Spain in the 1980's. I saw that most Spnaniards were wearing higher heels then my standard half inch ones. Since I am a bit vertically challenged I bought some male shoes with two inch heels which i found very comfortable. They were formal enough to wear to the office and I did so. When I went to my tailor for a new suit he was delighted because he could slant the trouser bottoms like a guardsmans uniform so that the front crease did not kink. Thus the back covered the high heel. My male friends never noticed but I recall that my secretary did and thought the shoes were very smart indeed. So the seed was sowed but that is a story for another time!

I got a call telling me that the second of the three pair of eye glasses I ordered had come in, so I decided to pick them up. I wore a white turtle neck, gray and black pull over sweater, LB boot cut jeans, black tights, and black patent Bandolino "MacDougal" loafers. I have worn these loafers for several outings that I have posted. They have a gold buckle and only about a 2 inch block heel. When I bought them, I was going through a phase of wanting more "under the radar" heels. I found them on super clearance ($10) and bought them in brown, black, and navy- all patent. As I have said before, of all the shoes I own, these attract as much attention as any, including red shoes. Another dilemma I encountered was after doing laundry, I couldn't find my average length jeans, so I wore tall jeans which covered the shoes a bit more than I like. With the tall jeans I can do 4 inch heels with no problem, so I had a little bit of denim dragging the ground. I didn't want to wear higher shoes because it was icing outside which called for a more conservative heel. When I arrived at JC Penny, the woman working in the optical department was not one of the women I met before. She glanced at my shoes, but said nothing and fitted me promptly. The fitting took no more than five minutes, so I still had plenty of time. When I was leaving, I walked by the salon and asked the recpetionsit for a "menu" of their services. We chatted for a bit about the weather and she said they had several cancellations. She asked what I was interested in, and I said pretty much everything- hair cut, mani, pedi, facial. She stopped my at facial and said they had a cancellation and she could get me in for half price if I had the time. I quickly agreed. She took me to a semi-private booth, I set down and she began. My advice is if you have never had a facial, it should be your very next goal! She really didn't talk much through the process, and I really didn't care. It was amazing. When we were done, she was walking me to the front and said she really liked my shoes. I replied they are Bandolino and she replied "I didn't know they made shoes for men!" My reply was, "They do if a man buys them." She didn't say much to my reply and kind of gave me a strange look. I payed her, tipped generously and moved on. My last stop at Penny's was in the cosmetics area. An attractive African-American woman was working and asked if I needed any help. I told her I was looking for nail color. Since they are a new store they didn't carry many lines and she showed me a few brands. When I said that I was waring OPI but the color was a bit dark for me, she was a bit shocked, but held her composure. I slipped off my shoe, but the color really didn't show through my dark, opaque tights. She asked me what I had in mind, but the only lighter colors they had were pinkish and I said that really wasn't for me. She asked if I did any other makeup and I told her I didn't. She said if I ever decided to that I should come back for an application and she would be happy to help me. I thanked her and left the store. Since I had spent over an hour at JC Penny, I went to Panerra Bread for a bowl of soup and free WiFi. I sat at a table across from a college age woman, who really didn't notice me until I went to refill my drink. As I walked by her, my shoes made a clank on the tile (they are quite noisy shoes) and her gaze shot right down t my feet. As I filled my drink, she stared at me until I caught her and she dove right back into her computer. After about 20 minutes I went to the restroom. When I passed a young couple returning to my table, they were practically leaning out of their booth to look at my shoes! I smiled and said hello, of course. The young woman working on her computer was still at her table, where she remaind until we were both thrown out at closing time. When we were packing up our equipment she asked if my shoes had a heel. I said "about 2 inches, " and stepped out and raised my pant leg. Then she asked me if they were women's shoes and I said they were Bandolino. She said they were very nice and I wore them well and that not too many guys would ever think of wearing women's shoes. I agreed and said that's fine by me becuase its just more shoes for me, but that she'd be surprised. We both were heading to the door, walking and talking at this point. She asked me if I wore heels all the time, I said I didn't. She asked if I wore stilettos, and I said I did- to which she responded "that's too much." We said good-bye and I called it an evening. I do love the rare interaction with a curious person. Outings like this remind me that its not the height of the heel or even the style that gets you noticed, any shoe has that possibility. In fact, since these are loafers and they do make loafers for men with gold buckles and in patent, its the gray area...are they heels or aren't they. I figure the psychology works like this: A guy in pumps, tall boots, a skirt is obvious. He will get a quick glance and be taken note of, but in the gray area, people are much more likely to be curious. Kind of puts a twist on the whole idea of "incognito heels" in my mind. After such a fun outing, I wanted to make it out again today in something bold, but due to a range of issues I wasn't able to do so. I may go out on the town tomorrow night. Since I am returning to work from extended holiday, my heeling opportunities will be limited in the coming weeks, so I hate to miss an opportunity.

post-5655-133522877727_thumb.jpg

post-5655-133522877731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Quite an interesting outing you had, HF. I would agree that shoes with obvious ornamentation like what you wore (cute shoes by the way) would probably attract more in the way of attention than would a guy in pumps, tall boots or a skirt. Hmm! I wonder who you were thinking about when you typed that? HA! I think it's all about perception, it's rather rare to see a man wearing shoes with shiny buckles and whatnot, so when this sort of thing happens, sure, it garners more looks and glances than normal. But, at the same time, I thought it was cool that you engaged so many shoppers in conversation since your shoes were indeed a conversation piece, even though they were sky high stilletos. Very cool indeed! More power to you, my friend!

Quite an interesting outing you had, HF. I would agree that shoes with obvious ornamentation like what you wore (cute shoes by the way) would probably attract more in the way of attention than would a guy in pumps, tall boots or a skirt. Hmm! I wonder who you were thinking about when you typed that? HA!

Of course I was thinking about you! I am simply amazed at how well you pull off your skirt and boots without even the slightest overt attention. You heel with great confidence and conviction, but the more you push the envelope, the more comfortable you become. When I get up the nerve (and past the thin blood that reacts so poorly to the cold) to get out in a skirt, I will have your experience to build on and you to thank!

I think it's all about perception, it's rather rare to see a man wearing shoes with shiny buckles and whatnot, so when this sort of thing happens, sure, it garners more looks and glances than normal. But, at the same time, I thought it was cool that you engaged so many shoppers in conversation since your shoes were indeed a conversation piece, even though they were sky high stilletos. Very cool indeed! More power to you, my friend!

The funny thing is that I absolutely LOVE those shoes. In many ways, I think they are more feminine than even many of the 4 inch pumps I own and they certainly are more interesting. For that reason, I think more women seem to notice them and even be willing to ask about them. It has been my experience with talking to women that cute seems to trump sexy.

Those Bandolinos seem to attract attention more than if you were wearing a much higher heel. Interesting.

I think its just one of those things that you never really think about until you experience it. Just as I think JeffB learned with wearing his skirt and boots. I have always thought that there really isn't any such thing as truly "incognito heels." I have always been surprised by what people notice and what they don't.

For this reason, I am hoping to break out a skirt this week for an evening outing (weather permitting) and I have decided to either match the black Bandolinos with black tights and a black skirt to the navy with a great pair of navy ribbed tights and a gray skirt. I think they would be great for my first excursion in a skirt.