Man in heels on 'The One Show'

Puffer

On BBC1's 'The One Show' on Thursday 25 September, there was a six minute feature (feeture?) about high heels, how to walk in them and the alleged perils for the wearer. After a brief history, there were scenes at a class where women were being instructed on how to walk properly in heels, somewhat spoilt by the female instructor's claim that she was wearing 7" heels (which was clearly not the case).

In the studio, presenter Adrian Chiles was wearing a pair of black patent 4" stiletto courts to illustrate his stated view that high heels are uncomfortable and dangerous and he can't understand why women wear them - a view he has expressed before in his usual rather bemused manner (but does he really mean it?). Co-presenter Christine Bleakley was wearing lace-up Oxford stilettos with a heel of about 3.5" which she said, somewhat apologetically, were 'quite tiny little heels'; they were certainly lower than she usually wears. Christine's view was that women wore heels because men liked them and because 'ordinary' shoes were boring and, in her case, because she likes to be 'elongated'. She may just be right there!

You can see the whole item, starting at 23 mins, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dnb3p

Thanks for the link Puffer, I caught the last few seconds of the item the other night. I realised it must be about high heels, but had missed all the good stuff, and just heard the doctors opinion on damage caused by wearing heels. Now I've seen the whole item thanks to your link.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

The chap who presented the slot, Hardeep I think, is on record as having a shoe fetish, I have an article from a magazine lying around here somewhere, purely about him and heels. I would scan it and post it here, but I am not too sure about copyright issues. He is one of us and I am sure he has been here sometime.

The angels have the phonebox.

I'm not a regular watcher of the Beeb although I get some tales at work on some of the story lines from the one show. I have to admit I left the sound off, I may reveiw it again with sound?? maybe If I walked like Adrian Chiles I'd give up! Or was that very very put on? The grey socks ? no dress sense there, certainly not playing along. Bet he demanded a bonus to wear them and Adrian's body language was even more negative than normal, Bulldogs smile more. should I laugh or cry? Thirty odd years ago the BBCs Nationwide programme (same time slot, same media type package) had a doctor relating about back problems with wearing heals whilst carrying shopping bags etc. again demonstrated by a male presenter from the team wobbling all over the place. heel height? 2-3"? In comes young female model same bags perfect walk line. (doctor shows posture curves up the spine whilst holding bags and describes all about balance and body stress caused by ballancing on heels) Every time using a male to look clumsy or is it to emphasize the "taboo"

It would have been nice to be able to view it, Puffer...but, it's only available for viewing in the UK. :smile:

If so, Bubba, I don't know what technology prevents this - and whether it can be overcome. Can someone else help?

The chap who presented the slot, Hardeep I think, is on record as having a shoe fetish, I have an article from a magazine lying around here somewhere, purely about him and heels. I would scan it and post it here, but I am not too sure about copyright issues.

He is one of us and I am sure he has been here sometime.

Is this the article, Nigel? In the Observer in March 2008: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/mar/09/fashion1

In any event, it confirms Hardeep's interest and speaks for itself.

As to the Nationwide item, I don't recall it but I am not surprised at its trivialisation, which was typical of that programme. There seems to be a rule on television that an item on anything remotely fetishistic or titillating has to be treated with naivety, incredulity, amusement, bemusement, disdain, distaste or ridicule (or maybe all seven) - which is invariably so overdone that we see through the presenter immediately. Even the popular Tonight programme of 40+ years ago (remember it?), which had some excellent and professional reporters, tried to detach itself from reality when such things came up. I recall the late Kenneth Allsop doing a feature on stilettos as if he could not believe what he was seeing (despite the fact that they were everyday street fashion then) and with apparent dislike, but his view may have been influenced by his having only one leg. I'll bet he was turned on as much as any other red-blooded male! The One Show does at least field some knowledgeable and interesting people who are able to speak sensibly about things, albeit with a light touch when appropriate - and sometimes (with Adrian) when it isn't. And we must not overlook the lovely Christine!