Ballet Heels

Jezebel

What do you feel about ballet heels?  

562 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about ballet heels?

• I love them and wear them!
    • I like how they look on others but don't wear them myself.
    • I don't really care for them.

if you're talking 'bout me... tell my doctor that! :o the doctors here in the U.S. are -much- different from those that I've dealt with in England, Germany, Sweden, and South Korea. All of the ones overseas tell me I'm perfectly healthy. But here, even though I exercise as I should and eat healthy (though I somehow can't lose weight :-? ), the doctors keep telling me I need to lose around forty pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

woo hoo!!!!! Guess who just bought their first pair of ballet heels? I got a pair of ankle boots...should be being posted to me today Now.....can anyone recommend a place to get some lambswool cushions from, in or around London?

Well done, and congrats on your new purchase. Try over teh internet there are plenty of ballet suppliers. I think dance active or dance active footwear s one. Give that a try I look forward to hearing about you in your boots

Hi Jo73. Here in the U.S.A. lambs wool can be bought @ a local pharmacy. However you may want to try gel type toe padding. I would think that in London there should be a dancers store where you could buy toe pads and lambs wool as well. Look for a store that sells ballet pointe shoes. And Welcome to the world of walking on your toes in bboots I hope you enjoy the adventure. Dr Who 3

Hi Jo73.

Here in the U.S.A. lambs wool can be bought @ a local pharmacy. However you may want to try gel type toe padding. I would think that in London there should be a dancers store where you could buy toe pads and lambs wool as well. Look for a store that sells ballet pointe shoes.

And Welcome to the world of walking on your toes in bboots I hope you enjoy the adventure.

Dr Who 3

Thanks v. much Dr Who 3.......my boots arrived in this mornings post, and I have located a dance shop just 2 miles from where I work, so will be going to buy some ouch pouches at lunchtime.......

...........and then have to wait the rest of the afternoon, before I can get home and get practicing!!!! :smile:

Well, I went to the dancewear shop, and bought some ouch pouches......but....I couldn't wait to try them on, so sat in the car before I set off on my journey, and laced my feet in. WOW! I have pretty flexible ankles anyway, but my feet slid straight in, and the ankle portion of the boot offered loads of support. I was so impatient, I checked for passers by, jumped (ok......gingerly negotiated the 8 inches of heel) out of the car, which was parked in an underground car park, and stood up! What an amazing feeling, knowing that it was impossible to buy a pair of shoes that stretch me to the limit any more than these! It kind of feels like that I have led up to this moment all of my heel wearing life, and I'm so glad I stuck with progressivley wearing higher and high heels, despite all the pain I have been through over the years. I'm on an endorphin high, I think!

Hey that is GREAT. If I could I would wear mine all the time. I have found that the ouch pads wern't enough padding so that's why I got these Leo's soft rubber gel pads they are similar to other brands pads. These have made walking in my boots almost a brease. Keep at and I know you will find bboots an exciting challange. The Best to you. Dr Who 3.

Update....... So I found I could at least stand in my heels last night, for quite some time; in fact (and here's something you won't find said about ballet heels too often) they were actually quite comfortable. As they are ankle boots, there is a lot of support for the ankle, which is great, although I do have to find a more elegant way to go from sitting to standing :smile: The only problem with them is that the heel is maybe 10mm too long, making walking very difficult, as the heel tip catches the floor when my leg is in mid swing :cool: So, after a little bit of investigation, I have decided to take the excess 10mm off the length of the heel, to see if that makes walking any more graceful :thumbsup: Once I've done this, I'll post up some pics and vids :thumbsup:

The only problem with them is that the heel is maybe 10mm too long, making walking very difficult, as the heel tip catches the floor when my leg is in mid swing :thumbsup: So, after a little bit of investigation, I have decided to take the excess 10mm off the length of the heel, to see if that makes walking any more graceful :thumbsup:

Ahh yes, must be the Devious brand ballets. I do not understand why they do that. I had to do some modifications to mine as well, and have heard of a number of others that needed to do the same.

Nice boots otherwise, and after the boot surgery, they are not bad to walk in at all. Just someone please tell Devious to shorten their damn ballet heel length. Its completely wrong! :smile:

You could always take your boots to a shoe repair place and have the heels cut off by a person who know's what their doing. I can't emagin the cost to be that expensive. Or if you have a relative who is handy show them the video on you tube and vola there you go. Any way make the adjustment before getting serious about walking in your bboots. Best to you . Dr Who 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jo73. I have been wearing my bboots in the mornings before I go to work and I have noticed that after a short time of wearing my boots getting breakfast ready I set and eat and after I finish I get up to clean up that my boots are very comfortable. No toe pain and I can walk around almost like in normal shoes. I haven't tested the amt. of time before the pain or my legs give out so I'll have to find a time when I can do a test and see how long I can last. I have worn my boots for aprox. 2hr. a while back but most of the time was a real test of my resolve due to the pain. It has been almost a year now that I have had my bboots and my endurance has progressed. So keep at it and all will get better even my legs are straighter now. Dr Who 3.

Back when I had my girlfriend she bought me a pair of anklehigh ballet boots with locks (HaHa). She put me into them one night as we where going to bed and I slept in them all night. Which was about 6 hours. Then she had me fix breakfest for us the next that morning and my feet where killing me. I still can not walk in them with my legs straight or with out holding on to something.

...I have found that the ouch pads wern't enough padding so that's why I got these Leo's soft rubber gel pads they are similar to other brands pads. These have made walking in my boots almost a brease.

Hey Thanks, I'll have to try the Leo pads! I had tried Ouch Pouches before, and I agree they are pretty thin padding, not really helping me that much in the boots. So, reading up on some reviews... it seems ballerina's really prefer the Ouch Pouches more the Leo's because they WANT to feel the floor, but of course I am not a ballerina and DO NOT want to feel the floor. :smile: So Leo's L4 pads I will try for sure (the Leo's L5 has less padding similar to the Ouch Pouches).

I have a pair of ouch pads for my ballet boots but my toes still hurt, so I'd like to try the gel pads. But I live in England, so does anyone know a supplier of gel pads in the UK? That would be easier, and cheaper, than mail-ordering from Leo's in the US. I've been training my feet with a ballet arch stretcher which I got from the US on E-bay. It certainly has improved the bend in my arches over a month or two, so my feet slip into the boots just fine. But the toe pressure stops me for standing for very long, so I need to work on that. But without ruining my toenails, hopefully. :smile:

Why don't you check a local dance supply store/ shop. I think that there are some euro. gel pad mfgs. out there. If not then try to cut some eva foam flip flops up to the shape of the toe area of your ballets. Kind of a cemi circle. I used this method of padding before I found the gel pads. It doesn't last as long ie. 30min. to 1 hr. and you will need to replace the pads because your weight will crush the pads and make them non effective. If you try the eva padding don't get mocho and try to tuff it out you could wreck your toe nails like I did. Put your homeade pads in and walk/stand around until your toes start to hurt a bit then change the padding. I had to learn the hard way. Also the gel pads are good for only 4 hr. tops after that you wrisk wrecking your toe nails like I did. I don't know how some people are able to walk/ stand in ballets all day unless they have been able to tuffen their toes ect. to take the strain. I hope I can ge there but it will take a long time I think. Best to you. Dr Who 3.

Very well done jo73. The more you practice the better you will get. I think that you could do much better if you could cut aprox. .5 to .75 cm. or /3/8" to 1/2" non metric. off the heel and replace the heel tip. The heels appear abit too long in the video. However you did really great as they are. Dr Who 3.

Thank you! You are right, the heels are way too long at the minute - when standing still in the boots, the heel actually leans forwards, rather than being vertical. I'm tempted to cut this pair down, but also equally tempted to keep the heels too long just for the extra stretch it requires, and buy another pair and alter those

Hi jo37. I also noticed on your video that the heels tend to tip away from the sole of your boots. I have seen this before on other videos but mostly they are women who don't weigh all that much and I don't think they would snap the heel off unless they cought it on something. However men tend to weigh moore and this I believe causes a lot of stress on the heels especialy if they are under stress from being bent back from the sole of the boot. Your sreaching idea sounds good but I don't think the heels will last in that stressed position. You might want to re consider cutting them shorter and prevent a heel brake. I have fastened a gusset/web of fiberglass between the heel and sole of my boots and they are rock stable. Any way enjoy the bboot experience. Also moore pics/videos of your progress. Dr Who 3.

Jo73 I wonder if you could help me with a ballet boot walking video. Could you PM me instructions on how to put a video on the web using a digital camera or even my cell phone? I also would like to do an avitar as well. Thanks in advance. Dr Who 3.