Gout.

Web_Jock

Question

Hello Folks:

For the past few months now, I have been having problems with my left foot. I finally went to Patient First and they said that I may have gout. They took a sample of my blood and said that the uric acid level in my blood is normal though. (An abnormally high concentration of uric acid in the blood is the prime contributor to gout.) When I scheduled an appointment with the foot doctor, the nurse said that even if my blood has a normal level of uric acid, I could still have gout. What precautions do you all suggest that I take besides taking any prescribed medicines?

Net_Jock :smile:

:headphones:   :cowboy:     Come and visit our Youtube Channel now!    :cowboy:    :headphones:

15 answers to this question

Mimize fats, alcohol, and protein in your diet. Drink plenty of water, ensure you're routinely getting good, aerobic exercise. Fast once a week, and keep the weight off. All of these have proven to be factors which lessen gout risk.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Mimize fats, alcohol, and protein in your diet. Drink plenty of water, ensure you're routinely getting good, aerobic exercise. Fast once a week, and keep the weight off.

All of these have proven to be factors which lessen gout risk.

I generally agree with KIKEPA; This disease, which usually presents itself as inflamed joints and excessive uric acid, is almost always the result of improper diet and/or certain hereditary factors. Consider going to a balanced diet and vitamin intake along with up to 5 gr of vitamin C. (Nutrition Almanac, 1975) However, you definitely want to be careful with the vitamin C intake, as too much can lead to serious kidney problems. I personally would not recommend more than 1000 mg per day, and you still want to be sure you are getting bioflavinoids (all natural vitamin C) with your vitamin C. Avoid every form of alcohol and anything at all that promotes uric acid.;-)

Do not be lulled into thinking that just because your symptoms diminish, that you are treating your condition successfully, as your symptoms can vary very widely throughout the day. You'll need to observe consistant changes over several weeks before you leap to any such conclusions. Good luck to you.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I too suffer from gout, or perhaps as in my own case, PSUDO gout (a certain type of gout, since my Dr must have been thinking about this kind of gout cause he couldnt find any evidence of the "regular" kind that most get, I will mention this the next time I go in to see him);-)

I too suffer from gout, or perhaps as in my own case, PSUDO gout (a certain type of gout, since my Dr must have been thinking about this kind of gout cause he couldnt find any evidence of the "regular" kind that most get, I will mention this the next time I go in to see him):w00t2:

I can't say that I've ever heard of any such thing:-?, but the admonitions for a well-balanced diet and vitamin intake still goes. ;-) Get rid of the fatty foods and the junk (which really aren't foods at all) and don't forget about a meaningful exercise program. Try flushing-out yer system with a water fast about once a week; and everything else that I said before still applies.

You are the owner of one of the most marvelous mechanisms in the world; but you have to take care of it, and that starts with a balanced diet, proper vitamin intake, good exercise, and proper rest. Many of the most dreaded diseases can be "cured" or prevented by these simple measures.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

...this may sound heretical but I had a few episodes with gout a few years ago and went on the typical "vioxx for pain and swelling" recommendations from the doctor who was treating me at the time... ..as you know, when the pain went away and I stopped taking painkillers the issues with recurring episodes became something to deal with when they returned... ... I never thought of high heels as a form of therapy and it may be strictly anecdotal to share with you that since I have been wearing highheels* virtually every day, I have not once experienced a single instance of pain in those formerly distressed joints... * please look back over my threads under the forum: "guys wearing high heels" Jim/JSpikeheels

I too suffer from Gout. I've had it since I was 25. It's one of those things I wish I never had... For me, it can be on either foot (by the toe) and I am actually battling one on the top of my ankle, right on my clutch foot. Luckily, my wife has car with an automatic. I've used a couple different remedies in the past. The medication I use is Indomethacin, which just rips up your stomach, so, if you ever get this prescribed, make sure you eat something and drink plenty of fluids. I typically know when it's coming, so what I've done which somewhat helps is, drink Black Cherry juice, or even better, real black cherries. Another interesting thing is, freeze leaves of cabbage. Apply it onto the affected area. FYI, it's REALLY cold. Supposedly, there's an enzyme that pulls the crystals out. I am not exactly sure how, but it does offer some relief. As the other posters have mentioned, try to have a balanced diet. Avoid the high Purine foods, and also, reduce the salt intake. It's tough for me since I am a salty guy vs a sweet tooth. Biggest and foremost, make sure you drink plenty of water a day. People who have gout is a candidate for kidney stones. What sucks is, when days I want to wear my vinyl thigh high boots, it is excruciatingly painful, but sometimes, gotta take one for the team. :w00t2: Not a comfortable condition to have, but there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Gout. And what's even better, here, we're heelers. :chuckle:

The danger is that CHARCOT's (see here http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/charcot-foot.htm) is often mis-diagnosed as gout, a sprain or even a bad knock. If not treated early the prospects of long-term irrepairable damage is highly likely.

I have just been diagnosed with it, I am scheduled to be in plaster from knee to toe for up to six weeks and then under other treatment for up to TEN MONTHS.

Please everyone, if you suffer from swollen feet or one foot seems hotter than the other GERT THEM CHECKED

Not Gout, but my large toe one my left foot has been broken several times and I now have a lump at the joint. It becomes painful in certain shoes, especially a pair of peeptoe pumps where the cutout lies directly across the joint.

I too suffer from Gout. I've had it since I was 25. It's one of those things I wish I never had... For me, it can be on either foot (by the toe) and I am actually battling one on the top of my ankle, right on my clutch foot. Luckily, my wife has car with an automatic.

I've used a couple different remedies in the past. The medication I use is Indomethacin, which just rips up your stomach, so, if you ever get this prescribed, make sure you eat something and drink plenty of fluids.

I typically know when it's coming, so what I've done which somewhat helps is, drink Black Cherry juice, or even better, real black cherries. Another interesting thing is, freeze leaves of cabbage. Apply it onto the affected area. FYI, it's REALLY cold. Supposedly, there's an enzyme that pulls the crystals out. I am not exactly sure how, but it does offer some relief. As the other posters have mentioned, try to have a balanced diet. Avoid the high Purine foods, and also, reduce the salt intake. It's tough for me since I am a salty guy vs a sweet tooth.

Biggest and foremost, make sure you drink plenty of water a day. People who have gout is a candidate for kidney stones.

What sucks is, when days I want to wear my vinyl thigh high boots, it is excruciatingly painful, but sometimes, gotta take one for the team. :D

Not a comfortable condition to have, but there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Gout. And what's even better, here, we're heelers. :smile:

A friend and co-worker of mine suffers from Gout. What happfeet73 has recommended in this post is what my friend's doctor also recommends. He has to watch what he eats and drinks very carefully and yes, one of the keys is to drink plenty of water.

Have you tried Allopurinol ? The indomethacin will help for the pain as it's an anti-inflammatory drug ( but you may need to take something to protect your stomach, such as lansoprazole or ranitidine ), but the allopurinol will actually help to prevent the build up of urate crystals, ie treat the cause. Have a little look at it on-line and I hope this helps, x

Hi there I do not suffer from gout, but someone I know went to the Dr here and he prescribed Voltarin tabs and it works. He also said that the cause of it is eating acidy foods, as it build up in the joints as Slyfox said and cause the pain.

Have you tried Allopurinol ? The indomethacin will help for the pain as it's an anti-inflammatory drug ( but you may need to take something to protect your stomach, such as lansoprazole or ranitidine ), but the allopurinol will actually help to prevent the build up of urate crystals, ie treat the cause. Have a little look at it on-line and I hope this helps, x

Hi there I do not suffer from gout, but someone I know went to the Dr here and he prescribed Voltarin tabs and it works. He also said that the cause of it is eating acidy foods, as it build up in the joints as Slyfox said and cause the pain.

My co-worker that I described earlier told me that his doctor suggested both of these medications. The problem, he was told, was that he would have to take (either, whichever he decides) these medications consistently and continuously. The doctor said the best advice is watching one's diet and plenty of water consumption.

I too suffer from Gout. I've had it since I was 25. It's one of those things I wish I never had... For me, it can be on either foot (by the toe) and I am actually battling one on the top of my ankle, right on my clutch foot. Luckily, my wife has car with an automatic.

I've used a couple different remedies in the past. The medication I use is Indomethacin, which just rips up your stomach, so, if you ever get this prescribed, make sure you eat something and drink plenty of fluids.

I typically know when it's coming, so what I've done which somewhat helps is, drink Black Cherry juice, or even better, real black cherries. Another interesting thing is, freeze leaves of cabbage. Apply it onto the affected area. FYI, it's REALLY cold. Supposedly, there's an enzyme that pulls the crystals out. I am not exactly sure how, but it does offer some relief. As the other posters have mentioned, try to have a balanced diet. Avoid the high Purine foods, and also, reduce the salt intake. It's tough for me since I am a salty guy vs a sweet tooth.

Biggest and foremost, make sure you drink plenty of water a day. People who have gout is a candidate for kidney stones.

What sucks is, when days I want to wear my vinyl thigh high boots, it is excruciatingly painful, but sometimes, gotta take one for the team. :silly:

Not a comfortable condition to have, but there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Gout. And what's even better, here, we're heelers. :happy:

Hey guys

What sucks is, when days I want to wear my vinyl thigh high boots, it is excruciatingly painful, but sometimes, gotta take one for the team. :silly:

Not a comfortable condition to have, but there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Gout. And what's even better, here, we're heelers. :happy:

Hey guys i just like happyfeet have had gout since 25 and its a killer my Dr gives me indomicne thats the only pain medication that works for me and theres a new medication called uloric dont no if any you have tried it but i have its was alright but didnt do the trick, but might work for some of you,and when you want to where your heels thats when gout hits.And sometime your foot gets swollen and you cant get your heels..

Horses get a similar condition called Laminitis. It's managed by carefully controlling their diet and restricting grazing time according to the time of year.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.