Broken toe... typical!

Lizziepops

Question

I broke my right little toe the other week. mashed it into a door jamb a high speed, rushing to get somewhere. It hurts when I wear flats more than heels and it tends to flex more than when I wear heels but I realise it's in an unnatural position (contraversial!!!) yet I'm ok to belly dance on it when I go barefoot??? Confused. How can I help it heal quicker and what is best foot wear to foster healing?

11 answers to this question

many years ago i stubbed my toe on a bed leg and broke it, i dont think there is too much that can be done, save for padding it. the softer and flatter the shoe the more comfortable it will be, So i guess high heels will have to wait until the break resets.

Hey Lizzie! Have you seen a Doctor about your toe? Perhaps you should before it's too late and it sets wrongly. If it isn't properly taken care of, it could cause you grief for a long time to come.

I broke my big toe in 1987.:thumbsup: I didn't go to the Dr.:smile: I have a small problem wearing any kind of shoe. My toe hurts every day all day and has since I broke it. I just deal with the pain.:thumbsup:

Sometimes it's possible to break it again on purpose (by a doctor) and have it "put together" the right way again. But, when you didn't do anything for 20 years, it's pretty much a given that something else got out of whack as well.

Your right Heelman, the bone just behind the big toe feels like a small marble.:thumbsup: I also hit an object about a year ago and not only jammed my toe but received a cracked bone on the top of my foot in the same area.:smile: The worst damage is I can't wear any of my 5" heels without feeling great pain.:thumbsup: I can't bend my big toe down or back. Other toes are fine for movement.

t-straps are my favorite style.

Hey Lizzie! Have you seen a Doctor about your toe? Perhaps you should before it's too late and it sets wrongly. If it isn't properly taken care of, it could cause you grief for a long time to come.

DITTO!

At a minimum you need X-rays just to know exactly what's going on. If the toe is broken and then sets wrong, you invite several problems of which you want none.:smile: For one thing, if the toe sets wrong, it must be re-broken :thumbsup: to get it properly set and, apart from pain meds that the doctor could administer, it's just as bad as the original break. I won't even get into some really unpleasent things like infections and the problems of trying to reset a previously fractured bone. So yer first order of business is a trip to the doctor to get some X-rays and some competent advice.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I have recently had several significant positive experiences with the detoxifying foot-pads available at many stores; yes, go to your doctor; but try the foot-pads; some say it it is worthless; yet I have found my shoulders, knees, & hips feel more like they did 10 years ago; not perfect, but a whole lot better. I'm 52, but feel a lot better since discovering this. Oriental (Japanese/Chinese) medicine to the rescue. Try it, you'll like it. Try "Deals Too Good to Pass Up" stores, or else Wallgreen's.:smile:

Uh oh. Think I'm going to get an x-ray. Thank you all for your advice and support.

Bizarrely, heels are comfortable; maybe I is just born to teeter!

Hello just read your posting(i'm a new member) how's your toe??

I presume you did had an x-ray taken? For best healing i should think that wearing flats would be better, so the broken toe/bones will heal and grow back in a natural position, and that isnt, on high heels :w00t2:

I broke my big toe (more than once) years ago. It healed okay and I never had any problems until a couple of years ago. I started having a lot of throbbing pain so I went to a podiatrist. She wanted to rebreak the toe and fuse the joint. I declined to have that done so now I have a hard lump at the joint of the toe so I can't wear tight shoes very long. I'm about to do a 1 mile, high heel charity walk wearing 4-5 inch heels so Im experimenting with various types of padding, wider width shoes, etc.