Is Society Being More Tolerant?

johnieheel

Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?

Do you think society is being more tolerant of men in heels? Please state origin. Here in NE Ohio I think YES. I wear heels every day, even around home and nobody seems to care.

real men wear heels

I think mainly yes, largely in the part of the shops themselves. There was a time when if a sales person would see a guy trying on heels, they'd be questioned in a harsh manner or asked to leave. Nowadays, they're pretty much pleasant as apple pie, and very helpful. Outside, it seems people are too concerned in their own daily struggle to even notice outside their own little world, which.........may be a good thing.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Johnie: Definitely "yes". Even when comparing back 5 years or so. I'm also from NE Ohio in the US and agree with the toloerance, but I've noticed this virtually everywhere, throughout the Midwest of the US, where attitudes are generally thought to be a bit less cosmopolitan than on the coasts. It doesn't appear that way. Dan

I believe that people ARE being more tolerant of men in heels now days with all the changes like earrings, goth etc. and in time tolerance will turn to simply "acceptance" once we all get out and show the world that it's ok for men to wear heels or what ever we want, just like women do.

real men wear heels

I agree, and would only add that as long as guys keep going out, it will become more and more accepted as commonplace. The trick, though, is to feel at ease with yourself - then, most other people do likewise.

But, as pointed out by others, there will probably always be the close-minded "cement-headed" ones. It's just something we're going to deal with, and get support from each other on. (I forgot who made that comment, but it is soooo appropriate.)

Latindancer: Good point on the heel height, but I've noticed that there's been acceptance/tolerance on that, too.

Dan

I voted both, because I really don't know if society is going tolerant since they don't see guys in heels around, but, people are getting tolerant here in Brazil regarding gays, tatoos, piercings, etc... which is good for my heeling experiences.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

I agree, and would only add that as long as guys keep going out, it will become more and more accepted as commonplace. The trick, though, is to feel at ease with yourself - then, most other people do likewise.

But, as pointed out by others, there will probably always be the close-minded "cement-headed" ones. It's just something we're going to deal with, and get support from each other on. (I forgot who made that comment, but it is soooo appropriate.)

Latindancer: Good point on the heel height, but I've noticed that there's been acceptance/tolerance on that, too.

Dan

People will always have there little nicks they don't agree with rather it be men in heels or something else.

real men wear heels

I agree with crotchboots-m, with the more isolated societies there is still a lot of intolerence but generally people are so confused with what is going on, we are just another group to be against the wall if the reolution ever comes

So what's all the fuss about?

I voted YES. I’m sure society is becoming more tolerant but there is also a component of my attitude changing. I like the way I look in heeled boots and I have confidence when I go out. I think I project that confidence and people pick up on it. I’m careful about where I go. If I got hassled every time I went out, I don’t think I would be going out. I’ve also noticed that what I think others are thinking doesn’t bother me very much anymore. So there are three things working together that change my perception of society’s toleration: 1. Society is becoming more tolerant. 2. I have more confidence. 3. My view of the world has changed.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I genuinely had a hard time trying to decide here, mainly because I think it's more a case of indifference to men in heels than tolerance. In other words, people are too wrapped in their own lives and affairs to give a damn about a guy strolling around in women's shoes.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I would agree yes, sometimes the teenagers in groups can be difficult so I tend to avoid going out when there is that possibility of a confrontation while in heels and there is a high likihood of an encounter but shop workers now are fantastic, very helpful and tolerant.

My average heel height is 61\2" on size 9 feet

I will vote yes, because nobody bothers me about my footwear. So far, at least, I have not seen any other men in heels. None at all. Where are you guys? But I get a lot of reactions from women, more than 95% positive. They buttonhole me on sidewalks and streets, in stores and at social events, just to say they love my heels. I can live with that.

I guess I'm just in an agreeable mood today. I agree with Diana High Heels. I too tried to avoid confrontation and I venture out in high heels early mornings and later in the evening. The positive feedback that I have received in public has been from women. I wear men's suits and men's hats, but I wear feminine high heels with these outfits. One morning, I was wearing five inch heels and visiting several bookstores in Old Town. As I walked out of one of the bookstores and walking to my car (I don't know if my high heels could be seen, but they definitely could be heard), a woman blurted out, "wow, I wish I could walk in shoes like those!" She just smiled and walked away. I also agree with Magickman. I don't see that many men walking around publicly in high heels. I see some men wearing boots with stacked heels. But I don't see that many men in feminine heels. As I have stated in previous postings, I am a heterosexual male. But to enjoy a drink and relaxation, I have visited some gay bars. Even there, I don't see any men in feminine high heels. And I get nothing but positive comments from those patrons. I have mixed feeling if society is being more tolerant. Overall, yes, it is more tolerant, at least more so than several years ago. I've worn high heels for years, and experience all kinds of reactions from all different people.;)

at work there a couple of women who often stop me and pull up my trouser legs to see what i'm wearing that day....

nice !!

Designer (and the whole gang): Is it me, or have you noticed the women seem to be much more inquisitive and outspoken (usually positive) regarding men in heels?

I agree with the earlier comments, it's usually indifference, but like others on this thread, I usually plan where I wish to go, first. Certain locales or time of day can invite unwanted comments.

Dan

Most people don't even notice and even if they do they don't say anything. Teenagers are more likely to notice and make comments or laugh, especially when in groups (showing off to friends). But they do this to anyone they condiser different ie the physically or mentally dis-abled, elderly or overweight people.

i think it's a hard call..... i tend to agree with thighbootguy... i think society haven't moved on that much, but it is more that I (you/us/whoever) are getting more confident and comfortable with the situation..... i think if you ask someone who is just starting out discovering their interest in heels, they would think society is totally intolerable as compared to some of us who have years and years to contemplate and be comfortable of it all.... me personally is still not fully comfortable with how the society view me in heels... but my personally attitude have definitely changed from only wearing heels hiding in my room to the rare occasion of late night petrol run at in tight jeans and 5 inch heels..... i wish it is completely socially acceptable and i can be in heels whenever i want but unfortunately i'm not personally comfortable with this yet (with friends, family and professional views thrown in).... it's been a while since I've been on the forums but it's great to be back ;)

Hi aussi; I believe if we stay in the closet, it will never happen. We as true pioneers in men in heels, must get out in public and show the world that it's ok to be yourself and wear what we want. It has been done with every generation from women wearing pants to men wearing earrings to goth, green hair, women in men's suits and tattoos and the list goes on. It's like anything else. The more people see it, the more they will except it as (normal). There will always be narrow minded neanderthals in disagreement. These are people who have been raised in a BOX and refuse to venture out. People who have never been able to really be there self or think for there self because of what they have been taught by there piers. So put on your favorite heels and show the world it's OK. It's only shoes for gosh sakes!

real men wear heels

johnie... i agree with you mate..... it is most definitely true..... the more people wear it out, the more socially acceptable it is.... but it's just like anything... it's always hard to be the first at anything..... again, i would love to be comfortable wearing heels out in public during the day... (in fact i've done it a few times and i think it will happen more and more - i hope so anyway)... i know it's only shoes but i take my shoes seriously :-)

Hi aussi; I believe if we stay in the closet, it will never happen. We as true pioneers in men in heels, must get out in public and show the world that it's ok to be yourself and wear what we want.

AMEN brother.

Come on guys get out there as we do. The more it is seen, the more it will be copied.

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

My country was once known for its tolerancy. But society is getting more and more intolerant in an alarming high speed. Every day people become a victim of verbal or physical agression. On trains and buses, in traffic etc. Or because they are gay, or have a "different" religion or colour of skin. The numbers of incidents are rapidly increasing. Although I haven't heard about male heelers being attacked, the circumstances are not that great anymore. I am not optimistic for the future. If there were times which were promising for male heelers it must have been the 70's. I grew up in the 70's. Too bad I still was too young to live my passion those days......

love to watch them on cute girls, love to wear them myself

At least in the US, I think society overall has gotten more tolerant of all "alternative" things. Look at how hair styles, ear rings and jewelry for men, tattoos, and tolerance for homosexuality have changed. Some time ago, you could suffer significant physical harm for engaging in an alternative lifestyle/fashion. While it can still happen today, I think it is much more likely. Comments.....

My country was once known for its tolerancy....

Regarding high heels I am pretty sure (as I have found out myself) that most people really don't seem to care. I may get an occasional glimpse, but nothing beyond that. Perhaps my 2.5" wedges are too inconspicuous; I have no experience with, say, 4" pumps. I'd still say the Netherlands is pretty tolerant on this aspect.