How to measure heel height?

Juliann

Generally the measurement is made along the back of the shoe because that is the easiest way to do it. It can be somewhat misleading, however, especially as the heels get higher. There are some suggestions that the measurement be made through the center of the heel but that gets a little bit tricky also.

Have a happy time!

As I understand high heel measuring, 1.) the most used way is as johnnieheel and jmc have offered - from the floor perpendicularly up to the highest point at the back of the heel piece. 2.) the next way is taken from the side of the heel, starting at the floor and then perpendicularly up through the center of the heel tip to the point where the heel meets the shoe. This height varies depending on the type and style of heel. 3.) from a point on the floor perpendicularly up to the part of the heel that ends under the arch of the sole, as Richie offered, has been used, but it is not a normal measurement, although it is probably the more accurate measurement for the rise of the ankle minus the height of platform used. Personally, once I have noticed a particular pair of pumps that intrigue me, I would rather know the slope of the shoe in my size. This info would tell me if I they would flatten out to much compromising the desired look or if I could even stand in them with out the need of assistance or serious practice.

• 1 month later...

I am new here, but wearing heels off & on for 50 years. How do you measure the height. From the back down, or From the side at the middle of the heel. Thank You

Juliann: Welcome. I think we just went thru this (again) on the thread titled "Thursday Morning coffee" (back of heel).

Dan

I believe the generally accepted method is from the back of the heel. The problem is that the heel height changes with shoe size, and I think most heel heights are quoted on a size 7.5- 8 shoe (US womens). Which is the most common size.