Stained toe nails

Adeana

Question

OK.... I have no idea why or how, but I painted my toenails with a bright red, and then did a clear coat over them for about a week, and when I used the polish remover and got rid of the color, my toe nails were stained with the red! I mean...no matter how much I tried the nail polish remover and wahsing them, they are stained red!!! It's like it sort of dyed the nail. has this ever happened to anyone???? Granted I like red, and right now have my toenails painted a dark crimson, I really enjoy having them clear cotaed natural or with french tips and they look like crap right now! It looks like the color is bleached into my nail and I hate it!...... HELP! ! ! ! !

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

5 answers to this question

Some colors of red have made my toenails take on a shade that can't be removed with polish remover. Eventually it wears off, but it takes a couple of weeks. It seems to be less noticeable if I use cleaner cotton balls when getting the last of it off.

It is very important to use a good basecoat before painting your toenails. I recommend OPI base coat and OPI top coat. I take my base coat and my top coat to my bi-weekly pedicure appointments. My toenails are always painted a bright red and I never have stained nails. Sometimes in the summer I like to get a french pedicure with flowers painted to my toenails. If my nails were stained, I wouldn't be able to do this. Always use the base coat, then then apply two coats of red polish and then one top coat. If you want to have really shiny toes, let the top coat dry and then apply one more topcoat.

Jamie :-)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Some colors of red have made my toenails take on a shade that can't be removed with polish remover. Eventually it wears off, but it takes a couple of weeks. It seems to be less noticeable if I use cleaner cotton balls when getting the last of it off.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Adeana - What you have is the color from the red nail polish stained into your nails themselves. Not a whole lot you can do to fix that, without damaging the nails. You should either always wear a clear basecoat to protect the nail from the red polish being absorbed into the nail or just plan on wearing colored nail polish all the time (my personal preference to see on a woman!) - onyourtoesfan

I have come across several options on this one: Soaking nails in lemon juice and water (50% of each in a bowl) helps remove stains and yellowish from nails. & Mix cream of tartar or baking soda with water until it becomes a thick paste. Then srub your nails with a nail brush a couple times that day. It should come off after a few cleanings. & Buff them. I would go with the first one, that makes sense. Try them.