Adding a rubber sole to hard sole boots

Here is a trick I have done to several of my boots that might be useful to someone. If you are hesitant to wear a pair of shoes/boots because they have a hard sole and are so loud as to draw instant attention to you, you can add a piece of rubber to the sole and heel that will drastically reduce the noise. I know that the sound a shoe and heel makes is a big part of why we love to wear them (for most people here, I think). I have a pair of boots that could be worn very easily out and about, but they are very loud and therefore I have not worn them. I added a piece of rubber and now they sound perfect. They still sound like a heel, but much more subdued and actually I think they sound much better. Before it sounded like a piece of plastic hitting the ground, now they sound like a real boot. I use inner tube rubber because it is readily available, cheap, and mostly because it is thin and has just the right amount of "rubbery" to it. Plus, I haven't had a problem with them being slippery in the wet, but I guess you could rough up the bottom with course sand paper for better traction. I put contact cement on the rubber and boot and follow the directions. It seems to last a very long time and if you decide to remove the rubber, it can be done and the remaining cement can be scraped off or will wear off in time. That's all I have to say about that....Forrest Gump

This is exactly what they do. You know those shoes that ballroom dancers wear? They often have thin rubber outsoles or suede outsoles...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.