Can you stretch patent pu heels

Guest Loveshiheels

Guest Loveshiheels

I finding my new heels tight around the toe box. Can you stretch patent pu heels and if so whats the best way of doing it

• 4 months later...

Patent (provided its genuine & Not synthetic) can be stretched as it has an elasticity to the surface.

However there is a bit of a feel to it! this is one which I would defiantly recommend to your local repairer.

you can buy a spay leather stretcher which you spray inside the shoe, this retails (UK prices) at about the 3-4 pound mark. this is fine on "most" shoes but as mentioned before for patent it require a certain feel for how much.

A repairer will put them on a machine ( http://www.brilee.co.uk/hhplace/003.JPG ) which is far superior for 2-3 pounds. with the machine you can stretch lenght, width & even attach attachments for bunions & such like!

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Well, I really don't have much experience with patent leather, but generally, it's not considered stretchable because it is, by definition, a poly that's bonded to a leather substrate. However, if it's just a matter of loosening up a toe box a bit, then I'd say a trip to the cobbler might be worth a try. But keep in mind that this is definitely one for the professionals and not for the at home do-it-yourselfer. A competent cobbler will try some sort of solvent to loosen up the leather a bit and then try to, ever so slowly, stretch the shoes. He may need a week or so, as the stretching force will have to be applied very slowly. This is one job that, if it's to be tried at all, must not be rushed. :roll:

For my money, unless you're talking a very minor stretch, I'd sell or trade the shoes and buy something else.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

This may be a bit off topic, but is related. I recently began buying more patent leather. I have noticed that they seem tighter, even for the exact same shoe in leather. Is this common?

Style is built from the ground up!

Firstly, when you stretch patent it tends to go a little grainy because you are stretching the plastic coating. It does have some elasticity so yu can loosen a shoe up a little but if you're looking for more than about a quarter size forget it. PU again will go a little grainy when stretched but the actual material is more elastic than leather and so will tend to spring back to the original shape unless you "overstretch" and this will ruin the finish. You need to decide whether you'd tolerate a little damage to the finish that few people will notice so that you can wear it. As has been said before, a professional cobbler could be the best for the job... Secondly, the main reason why patent shoes seem tighter is because the leather is stiffer almost by definition and there is less flexibility as you put the shoe on and off. The exception to this is PU shoes where the flexibility is the same.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A competent cobbler will try some sort of solvent to loosen up the leather a bit and then try to, ever so slowly, stretch the shoes. He may need a week or so, as the stretching force will have to be applied very slowly. This is one job that, if it's to be tried at all, must not be rushed.

Firstly, when you stretch patent it tends to go a little grainy because you are stretching the plastic coatingYou need to decide whether you'd tolerate a little damage to the finish that few people will notice so that you can wear it.

I have been stretching patent shoes for over 20 years, I have never damaged them & they have NEVER gone “grainy” I have also never used a solvent on any shoes, this is not good practice & could be the very reason your repairers have made them end up grainy!

Also with any leather the tension is put on in stages, but this is over a period of a few hours with the shoes being left on the machine for a time after this to settle to the new shape. Generally it’s a 24-48 hour task.

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.